Previous   Next

What is your favorite gymnastics event?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 5, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m going to have to go with the uneven bars. It’s kind of scary to watch, because you think they’re going to fall at any moment. It’s exciting to watch.”

“The floor exercise. I think it takes the most effort and talent, and it shows a broader range of skills.”

“I like the rings. I guess I’m impressed by the amount of strength and dexterity it takes.”

“I like the floor exercise. I think it’s graceful and impressive because I could never do any of those things.”

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 8 months ago

jonas, You must have been thinking of the origins of gymnastics.
The Gymnasium was where naked people smeared themselves with olive oil, exercised and then communally bathed.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

Football! Football!

Oh, wait. That's not a valid answer for this question, is it.

New2Lawrence 6 years, 8 months ago

Nice to see we are taking comments from tourists.

southerngirl 6 years, 8 months ago

Ooh, right up my alley, I was a competitive gymnast for several years and then coached at the club and high school levels for several years.

My favorite event to do was floor, I loved to tumble and I loved moving to the music. My most challenging event was bars-hated wearing the grips, hated the chalk, hated the bar-to-bar transitions-hated it all.

I wish we could get back to the days when there was more grace and artistry in gymnastics. It has really come to a sport of difficulty-who can do the most unique, difficult move in said event. Yes, there are points for technical things like legs together, toes pointed and body in the correct position, but not much for an asthetically pleasing performance.

~d

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Floor or beam. Floor is always fun to watch but beam is a frightening thrill.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

Everything that's coming to mind right now is dirty, so I'll just abstain.