Previous   Next

What is your favorite food to eat at the fair?

Asked at The Douglas County Fair on August 4, 2007

Browse the archives

“Right now it’s a Philly cheese steak with onions, but that could change tomorrow.”

“Funnel cake, because I like all the powdered sugar.”

“Barbecued brisket. I work at a barbecue place, and it’s actually really good here. I was pretty impressed.”

“Funnel cake. It’s rich and fattening, and this is one of the only places you can get them.”

Comments

juscin3 7 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if Angie knows that she can make them at home???? All you need is bisquick, cooking oil, and powdered sugar....

I like the fries. They give you way too much but yet they are YUMMY. :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if jonas knows you can make brains at home??? All you need is a brain, flour, oil, and salt...

cutny 7 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if juscin3 knows you can make fries them at home??? All you need is potato, oil, and salt.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

Pig in a blanket... Just go into the 4H shack with a stolen quilt. Grab one of those cute little piggies and two step on out of there. Nobody will even try to stop as you are shuffling in the dust humming "Time Is On My Side" ...a little sauce and a loaf of dime bread...poor boys got it made. ...cole slaw and cold beer...

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

I bet you could even make your own fair at home, too, with some oil and salt.

I like the elephant ears. In particular, I like eating an elephant ear while I'm watching the demolition derby. I've been in enough accidents that I really enjoy watching cars being destroyed while I'm not in them.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

You're killing me....but you can't eat my brain.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

At some point in almost every Folk Music Festival I will wander down the hill to get me an elephant ear. Love those things. Hey, just thought, the festival starts this coming Thursday evening. Ceallach, I am sure fond thoughts of last year will haunt my memories. Remember the sudden rain shower that almost drenched us? What a time!!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

Py, I'll definitely eat an elephant ear for you. I mean, I'm not going to turn down a perfectly good excuse to eat one!

You know, I've seen plenty of TV ads for the Ionia Free Fair, but I've never been (though I have visited the Michigan State Fair). My town has been putting on its own great community fair for 70 years now (http://www.chelseafair.org/fair/), so I've never had to travel more than five minutes to enjoy the fair experience. And this year, I'm actually going to enter one or two of my photographs.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

What on earth is an elephant ear? Never heard of it. (No pun intended.) Someone please help me before I have to go and google.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, Smitty!

The hubby likes to make dough cakes (a.k.a. fried bread dough). Just regular yeast bread dough but then pan fried instead of deep fried and eaten with butter. Wonder if it's similar? The stuff hubby makes is very dense and slightly tangy from the fermented yeast. Sits in your stomach like bomb but oh! So yummy.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

p.s. favorite food at the fair: anything that comes from the 4H stand (located in the cattle barn!) ...especially the homemade pies!

camper 7 years, 4 months ago

I usually like to swallow my tobacco before I get on a ride.

Just kidding. Hot dogs with mustard.

juscin3 7 years, 4 months ago

cutny, I DO know how to make fries at home...duh!