Previous   Next

What is your favorite carnival ride?

Asked at The Douglas County Fair on August 3, 2007

Browse the archives

“The Tilt-a-Whirl. It was always the most popular when I was a kid.”

“I’d say the bumper cars. It’s everyone for themselves.”

“The Gravitron. You can feel the G-force as it spins faster.”

“We always called it the squirrel cages. It’s the one where you get in the little cages and they spin you up and down while the cages themselves are spinning around.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Props to someone who can use G-Force in an on-the-street response.

I usually prefer the hammer, though I mistakenly allowed my son (7 at the time, I think) to accompany me the last time I went to a carnival. Couldn't say no when he asked, really. At any rate, having a sobbing child on the ride with you is something of a mood-killer. You actually start getting scared. Through osmosis, I think.

juscin3 7 years, 4 months ago

I like the rides, but I don't get on them. I generally let the kidlets do since that's what we are there for. They seem to like them alot.

trinity 7 years, 4 months ago

lmbo@bone, good answer! ;) now that i'm old&wise i do not do carnival rides-but back in the day i'd have to have said the octopus. and yeah i'm a fogie, the ferris wheel(supergreat on a junior high date, or heck even now!)

my favorite ride overall, tho, is my blue harley! :) great motorcyclin' morning today!

friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAYYYYYYYY!!! :)

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

Pywacket, How cool would it be to get the best from all the nations together and just show off their latest achievements. Would love to have been around to see that giant Ferris Wheel.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Bone, so wrong! ew!

Favorite carni ride: the one where they strap you into he thingie that looks like a glider and whiz you around in up and down circles. Great fun. "Look ma! I'm flying! Weeeeeeeeee!"

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

RI, I want to hear of the great b.day adventure you took the spousal unit on last night. You've had way too much time on your hands to plan so it must have been glorious. Deatails!

kugrad 7 years, 4 months ago

The carnival at the county fair is one of the scuzziest I've ever seen. The prices, $3 per ride, are ridiculous for a county fair. The whole thing is disorganized. Lots of cash transactions for little tickets (love to see the IRS audit this business). I went last night and some of the ride operators were really rude. The county should seek a better outfit to provide the carnival portion of the fair. The one they have stinks.

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't know what it's called, we always called it the monkey cages. It's the ferris wheel thing that has cages instead of benches. And as the whole thing spun around, you could get the individuals cages to spin all the way around. They used to have that at the fair every year. This will be the first year my kids are old enough to ride stuff. I can't wait to take them and see their little faces.

staff04 7 years, 4 months ago

R_I, depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

If you are young and plan to drink a lot and want to be surrounded by a lot of rowdy youger people, Carnival is the way to go, especially if you are looking at somewhere sunny and warm...

If you want something a little more traditional and elegant, Norwegian is the way to go. Crowds a little more subdued, more experienced travelers--in my opinion, even at 28, this is a muchmore relaxing way to go.

Have also traveled on Royal Caribbean...it was fine. They didn't make an impression on me that made me think that I just HAD to travel with them again.

southerngirl 7 years, 4 months ago

RI-definately Norwegian

My favorite ride as a child was the scrambler. I won't ride those carnival rides any more. Have you SEEN the people that are running those things? I wouldn't trust my life to any one of them.

Interesting careers listed today-swing set installer and extended family teacher-is that like homeschool teacher, but for own children, nieces and nephews and cousins?

100 degrees today in the Mid South with about 1,000 degree humidity and a double orange alert. I think I'll stay in today...

~d

Ceallach 7 years, 4 months ago

The Octopus. The Ferris Wheel makes me sick so I avoid them. Should never have used the double wheel at the Topeka Fair as my first experience, now just looking at them gives me vertigo :\

RI, Norwegian would be a good choice. My brother who is quite, shall we say "money conscious," said it was one of the few investments that actually lived up to the brochures.

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

The double ferris wheel freaks me out. I feel your pain, ceallach. I will never get on one of those again. Rode a double ferris wheel at the fair when I lived in Michigan and they had a mechanical issue mid ride so they had to shut it down for an hour and we were stuck there. They eventually unloaded the ride, but you could tell there was something wrong with it the way it was jerking and twitching as they were running the ride around to unload each car. That gave me nightmares.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 4 months ago

Bumper cars. It was good training for driving during ice storms.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi guys - I am back from my Montana adventure. Had a good time inspite of the forest fires in Idaho just next door. Skies to the west most red at night and ash covering our cars in the am and smoke filled air. Stayed in this great huge magnificent log house on the side of the Bitteroot mountains. Thing was though, I had to sleep in the garage. Not as bad as it sounds. The hostess fixed it up real cozy. Had a lovely visit with my sister. Carnival rides always upset my tummy tum. But the ferris wheel is ok.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

Bumper cars or the Tilt-a -Hurl. I absolutely hate the Zipper!!! The Zip is the caged ferris wheel type ride, known to break frequently.

I took Tudino to the Eudora fair last week and it was pretty reasonable. I got 15 tickets for $20, the kiddie rides were 1 ticket and adult rides were 2. So it was a little cheaper. Added bonus: Virtually no wait times for rides. My bro's special lady friend is from Eudora and she told him that Eudora applies the electricity costs to run the fair to the towns people's electric bills so maybe that's why it's somewhat cheaper. If that is, in fact, correct.

Friday, Friday, Fri-DAY!!!!! Ribba! Ribba! Ayyyiiiie!! 5:00 andele!!!!

Ceallach 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey, ms_c, good to see you back. It ain't been the same without ya :) Be careful if posting to some of this week's articles, a few folks have been mighty mean!!

schula 7 years, 4 months ago

Py: I grew up in Gardner and my parents live right behind the fair grounds. Fair week was always a big deal. When I moved to Lawrence and went to the Douglas County Fair for the first time, I was really disappointed. I have only been to this fair three or four times in the 15 years I have lived here. Thanks for providing the links to the Johnson County Fair.

juscin3 7 years, 4 months ago

Schula, the fair in Gardner is pretty good you say??? I live here now and this will be the first time we go. I didn't think it would be really big on the count of the new water park..err I mean pool they just done up. Do you know when they are having the derby in Gardner as well? Is it on Friday or Sat? I can't figure out what the name of the newspaper is here.
BTW, fair in Gardner starts on Tuesday.

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

I lived in Algonac for 4 years, Py. It's in the tip of the thumb of the glove.

schula 7 years, 4 months ago

Juscin3: I highly recommend you go to the fair in Gardner. It is a lot of fun. Is the new water park/pool going to be open during fair week? I can see it from my parent's back yard and it looks quite impressive. My mom said the the fair board has an agreement with the city to close off part of the pool parking to use for fairgoers. The paper in Gardner is called The Gardner News. The demo derby is on Saturday, August 11 at 7:00 p.m. The parade is also pretty good to watch. It is on Saturday, August 11 at 11:00 am. It is usually an hour long, although I think it was 1 1/2 hours long last year.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 4 months ago

The Zipper...if you pull it up and down fast enough it makes you kind of tingly.

juscin3 7 years, 4 months ago

Thanks alot Schula. I don't know if the pool is going to be open. We haven't even been there yet...but from the looks of it, it's pretty cool. Will have to take the kidlets to watch the parade then next Sat. morning...again thanks and have a GREAT weekend!

concernedparent 7 years, 4 months ago

It's amazing how your fear levels change as you get older. The Octopus used to be my favorite ride as a child. A few years ago, my husband and I went and decided to ride it. I cried like a little baby and I think the carnie got thrill out of watching me. Seemed like we were on there for days...