Previous   Next

Is this the spring weather you’ve been waiting for?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 30, 2007

Browse the archives

“It’s pretty good, but I need to dress more appropriately. I wasn’t ready for the warmth.”

“This is great. It’s wonderful. I think it will bring out the best in all of us.”

“It’s beautiful, but I kind of like the rain, too. I didn’t really mind the weather before. All weather can be considered beautiful, right?”

“I would say this is the spring weather we’ve been waiting for. We’ve been spending the day outside and are going to cook out later.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

QUIET STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!!

Don't jink it!

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

crap. ahwell, maybe it'll become a new word.

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

yes this is the spring weather i've been waiting for; where have you BEEN, spring weather?? how could you DO this to me, take so long, leave me sitting here by the door all dressed up with nowhere to go, nary a phone call or email or ANYTHING to indicate your slothful appearance! :(

hey jonas, i bet if jink does not become a new word then "ahwell" will! ;) when you going to bejing or wherever it was you're going? i for one am going to MISS you! :)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

I thought I'd found that spring weather a couple weeks ago, but that whole quick transition from 70 and sunny to 40-something, cold and rainy (and then back to 60-something and sunny within a few days) pretty much shattered that illusion. So I think this question should be asked after spring is done.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

weather: yes, yes, YES!!!

RI is correct in that "jink" is a word. Sorry, Jonas, you only get credit for using it first on the OTS. However, I feel it my duty to point out that the "Official word snob" (who shall remain nameless) used the word "Dodge" twice! snicker :)

Linda Aikins 7 years, 6 months ago

Jink - to juggle while going around a hard wooden floor with roller skates on.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

Indeed, it is! What a great weekend. We are getting into the 80's fairly early IIMC, but 80's is good.

For a moment I had a little panic attack as I started reading sunny_sue's comment to RI. Thought maybe the world was ending when I first read "RI is correct" :)

Ceallach, relaxist, Lawrence KS.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 6 months ago

He is supposed to say "dodge" twice. They are the 5 "D"s of Dodgeball.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Ceal: "We are getting into the 80's fairly early IIMC, but 80's is good."

Are you fond of anything about the 80s specifically? Hair, clothes, music? Or did you just like all of the 80s?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

Dangit! Can't I just prove RI wrong about something? Dodge is used twice? Seriously?? Argh! (back to watching and waiting...)

Linda Aikins 7 years, 6 months ago

No I hadn't Prospector. I'll give it a shot - thank you!

I always tried to get the he** OUT of Dodge!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and Py, based on the little I do know about Yellow Springs (two of my brothers went to college near there), it does not surprise me in the least that a resident would claim the title "activist." It seems to be that sort of town.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

RI has promised to loan me his copy of "Dodgeball" so that I can be properly educatified.

Py, maybe Boutis is married to "hemp dude?" Wouldn't that be sweet? Bunches of little activists pattering around? (makes me feel positively springy!) birds sing

Speaking of spring...what are those little flying insects that are swarming right now? They look like fat mosquitos. Can't take an evening walk for the darned things wanting to come along.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

sgt, the entire 80's decade was good to me (I could work in the yard all weekend without taking Tylenol when I finished:). . anything in the 80's degree-wise is good to me (warm enough to "glow" but not hot enough to "sweat"). . my mother is in her 80's and she's good to me . .

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

I was hoping that my wait for good weather wouldn't be as long as waiting for an exit visa in Casablanca, 'cuz man, I was waitng and waiting . . . and waiting . . .and waiting . . .and waiting . . .

There are fake people next to posters' names. Wasupwdat? Are they letting us post pictures now?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Py, you know that I, as a Michigan fan, enjoy poking fun at Ohio. So thank you for that jab at the state.

Anyway, the springs near the town were once thought to be good for your health, so there were fancy-pants spas built around it. But I don't think the springs are still held in high regard.

Also worth noting: Yellow Springs was founded as a utopian community, but those efforts disbanded due to ... you guessed it: internal conflict. Hilarity ensues.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Wish you could send some of that warmth up our way. It is sunny today but hubby went off to work with his big winter jacket on. Brrrrrrr. We are still waiting and waiting and waiting. I wonder if my sis would have me to live with her down in San Diego, no wait, I don't like the traffic down there. Dang it.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

What can I say, RI? When you're right, you're soooo right!! That is a great title, I think I could be happy in that position for a long time (Position Description: 50% Research new and improved ways to relax, 50% Implement research discoveries).

ms_canada: my spare bedroom is still available, less traffic, and you could help me practice relaxing :):)

ohjayhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Py/Sgt -

Hey now!!!! That's a cheap shot! After all, we have many rivers in this fine state, and only ONE of them has managed to catch fire! (Although there are times I wouldn't be the least surprised to look out my kitchen window only to see a cloud of smoke coming off the Ohio. Although the Ohio River technically is within the boundaries of West Virginia!)

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Crud! I forgot to bring my research sources to school with me!

Quick, everyone list as much as you know about the Chinese examination system during the Qing Dynasty! Wikipedia has very little!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

"My dear sophistic_sue, You shall always genuflect before me." -RI

RI, I am quite certain that you will never catch me on my knees before you!!! :P

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Py: -san as a tag is Japanese, and I think you got a bad pinyin translator (english alphabet rep.) but I think you may be on to some with Zhou-an Cao Linzhe, and I'm pretty sure Zha Er Ou Wing, and his much more infamous younger brother, Zha Er Ou Wang, were pretty powerful merchants of duck and. . . errrr. . ..you know, respectively.

æå°-æ§çï¼æ,è±ä,ä,å¾ é¿ç'ï¼å¥½ä,å¥½ï¼ Zha Er Ou Wang, qing lai yige hen chang de, hao bu hao?

Xiexie.

It's a good thing the filter can't speak Chinese. Ha!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Ohjay, normally I'd limit my jabs to Columbus, because ... well, it's really easy. But Py brought up Yellow Springs, and it is an odd little town. It's odd even among its fellow college towns, and that's saying something. So I had to say something. The longtime Michigan resident in me finds those opportunities hard to resist.

(Actually, right now I have two good friends living in Columbus. One of them has been going to grad school at that one large university in that one city, and the other is married to her. But they're moving out of Ohio this summer.)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Py, they're moving to Indiana. Insert Hoosier joke here.

Although they're moving to Bloomington, and I have heard it's actually a very pleasant city. I already have a brother in South Bend, so I guess it's all about Indiana now.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Py: That certainly puts you in a more discernable position. Not too many people would know those things.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

I would love to help you jonas, but it's all Greek to me :-\

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

Yeah! I just love all this warm weather, with the tornadoes and severe thunderstorms and hail and wind and...

I wait for it with bated breath every winter...

ohjayhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Sgt - Well, I've heard that "odd" is definitely a good word to describe Yellow Springs. I've not been there myself. I am also not at all surprised that a Yellow Springs resident is an activist.

Columbus is definitely an easy target, though... any city that has a university that puts "THE" at the beginning, there's just something about that. Cleveland has always been an easy target as well (burn on big river, burn on), even for OH residents.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, Py... didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. It is quite presumptuous of them. How that even got started, I have no idea.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Ah, yes. Cleveland, the Mistake By The Lake.

Columbus is also an easy target due to the oddly violent nature of some OSU fans. Note the last part of this post: http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/?p=248 I guess it's all relative.

However, as a southeastern Michigan resident, I do have to acknowledge one rough spot on the mitten: Detroit. It's gotten better, but ... yeah. It's pretty messed up. But despite the normal criminal violence, sports violence really hasn't been an issue in Detroit. Not since 1968. So it does have that.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Sgt - Yes, Columbus fans definitely have a thing for having their nice little riots from time to time, but just as strange is the tradition in Morgantown, WV of burning couches. Whenever WVU wins, or loses, it seems the streets are ablaze with all kinds of couches, sofas, divans, whatever they can get their hands on. Of course, I have to be very careful about talking about residents of WV since I work in WV.

Py - I don't know about the two universities thing. I do know that TOSU is not the oldest public university in the state. Ohio University was actually the first public university in Ohio. Maybe OSU put the "the" at the beginning to offset the feelings of knowing they weren't the first?

I guess I haven't paid attention (and shame on me for this) to the premium scotch ads. I prefer The Jim Beam. LOL