Previous   Next

What is your opinion of the appearance of North Lawrence?

Asked at Sonic Drive In, 1003 N. Third St. on April 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“I guess from what I’ve seen, it doesn’t look as good as the rest of Lawrence. It’s older, a little more run-down. We usually just pass through this part.”

“I didn’t really expect there to be much business out here. It’s a little more spread out than the rest of Lawrence. There’s not too much out here; mostly gas stations.”

“Looks fine to me. I’m from Salina, and the older part of town is a lot worse. Some people might consider this to be the run-down part of town, but I think it’s fine.”

“Some of it could be improved, but it doesn’t look that bad. I think if they improved the strip malls and got some businesses in that would help build it up a bit, it would be a lot better.”

Comments

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow! I was amazed when it just "appeared" like that! I had always driven through that part of the countryside when...poof...N. Lawrence was suddenly there. It was incredible! I think it's great.

kolisach 7 years, 7 months ago

I bought my first home in North Lawrence last year and it was the best decision I have ever made. The people that live up here are fantastic! They care about their neighborhood and their neighbors. There is a lot more to North Lawrence than one commerical street. It would be like forming an opinion on all of West Larence based on what you see on Wakarusa.

There are so many fantastic things about North Lawrence. Here are just a few items: (1) Proximity to downtown, (2) Levy trail and mountain biking trails, (3) Easy access for commuters, (4) Good neighbors, (5) Great soil for gardening(!!!), (6) Quiet streets (other than the train sounds, which I love), (6) Great elementary schools, (7) Nice parks, recreation and open spaces.

I do often feel that my part of town is left out when it comes to appropriate planning and development interests. How many times can people up here say "we want a grocery store" before it gets heard? Also, I would like to see the characteristics of the older homes in this neighborhood replicated when designing in-fill homes.

Thanks!

KsTwister 7 years, 7 months ago

I close my eyes until I get past all the improvements the city has done there.

budwhysir 7 years, 7 months ago

The way I look at it is this, North does not appear the same as South, no matter what town or state you are in. Just another focal point of debate amoung the citizens and city council to keep them busy so they dont have time to fix the important issues.

My Idea would be to turn North Lawrence into the new University. This way the city and state would spend a bunch of money funding it and everyone would say, Wow look how nice our North Lawrence is now. And the University could say Um we need another few million to keep it up like this cause no one wants to fund our sewer lines.

angstew 7 years, 7 months ago

i absolutely agree with Kolisach. i also live in N. Lawrence, and i thinks its great!! people cycling, walking their dogs and god forbid children playing outside!! N. Lawrence has a great sense of community AND its just right across the street from Downtown, which in my opinion is the best part of this town! LOVE IT!
Our streets need fixin though....do you hear me city? FIX OUR STREETS! Business development would be nice too, just as long as it doesn't over develop and look like S. Iowa....sick. it would take careful planning to develop N. Lawrence...very careful planning.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 7 months ago

North Lawrence is beautiful just give them a grocery and a hardware store plus a laundromat.

Kat Christian 7 years, 7 months ago

I've been saying for years that North Lawrence needs a grocery store - why not put one in the I-70 business center. It would be used often I think and be handy for the people who work on that part of town. That vacant lot next to Sonic could use a roller/ice rink. Would be a perfect spot for one. I think North Lawrence looks run down and old. The road is old and needs resurfaced, traffic flows through there much too fast. The I-70 business center could use some business like a coffee shop, grocer, novelty something to liven it up.
If I were showing someone the town for the first time (and I have) I would use the west entrance to get a better impression of Lawrence not the North one.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Don't North Lawrencians pay the same property taxes? If so, why aren't they better attended to?

Sigmund 7 years, 7 months ago

Merrill, have your bankrupt grocer buddy put in a Le North Merc. Should work out fine and with all the money they make he can pay his bills.

lawrencian 7 years, 7 months ago

As another resident of N. Lawrence, I agree -- it is a wonderful place to live that could only be improved if I did not have to drive 10-15 minutes across town to find a grocer or laundromat.