Previous   Next

Have you ever cheated or helped someone cheat in school?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on April 28, 2007

Browse the archives

“Not really. I may have glanced at someone’s paper or asked someone what answer they got, but I’ve never written the answer on my shoe or the bill of my cap.”

“Yes. In my archeology class we had these online quizzes, and we would take turns being the first one to take them. We would all help the person taking it get the right answers.”

“If I have, it’s too far back to remember. If I ever helped anyone, it was giving them an answer to a study guide, which we were never really told not to do.”

“Yes, I have. Not on a test though. It was on my homework, and I got in big trouble for it. We had four people who all did a quarter of the homework and shared the answers.”

Comments

Linda Endicott 6 years, 11 months ago

I was a shy, quiet kid in school, and in the 9th grade, some of the girls who sat next to me in my math class coerced me into giving them my answers on a test. By coerced, I mean being threatened with severe bodily harm.

What they didn't know is that I sucked at math, and so when I got a D+ on that particular test, so did they. I'm sure the teacher caught on, but he never said anything to me about it. Maybe he knew I was scared to death of those girls.

He certainly knew what my grades in math usually were. If he said anything to the other girls, I never knew about it. Perhaps he thought them using my answers was punishment enough!

In 10th grade, I didn't have time to do my math homework one night. (another math class...I see a trend here...) So the next day, when we graded our OWN papers in class (a really stupid idea from teachers, by the way), since we were required to use pencil on all our assignments, I tried to surreptitiously erase some of my wrong answers and write in the right ones.

Not surreptitiously enough. After class, the teacher asked me to come in after school, and I knew instantly that I'd been caught. He gave me an F for the assignment, and said if he ever caught me doing it again, he would flunk me for the entire course. I never did it again.

Those are the only times I ever cheated in school. Both math classes, and both disasters. Not worth it.

hugitout 6 years, 11 months ago

I cheated beginning in junior high. I was at Marshall Junior HIgh in Wichita and was an office aide. I knew the teachers from 4th hour were at lunch and I would go into their rooms and get the test/key off of their desk and make a copy of it. I did get caught by the S.S. teacher late in the year, so I no longer went about it the same way.

Pywacket 6 years, 11 months ago

That was great, snap!

No--I was one of those straight-arrow dweebs who never cheated. I would help other kids with their math or whatnot, but wouldn't give them the answers. I would walk them through and try to help them get it.

Silence_Dogood 6 years, 11 months ago

If you cheat, you don't belong in college. Period. You are not entitled to an education. Go join the military instead and fight for our dear freedom.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

When I was in Middle Cave, I look Ogg's slate during test to see how to spell brontosaurus. Teacher caught me & hit me with his club. Teacher was total neanderthal. I laugh & laugh when teacher goes extinct.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

Once in high school I helped an acquaintance cheat.

He asked that I invite the girl he was going out with at the time to a group activity, so he could take out a girl from another school. Eventually she caught him.

paladin 6 years, 11 months ago

Uh..Sure! Lie, cheat, and steal is the name a the game. Ya been livin in a cave? Yuck. Yuck. P.S. Plato cheated, too.

mick 6 years, 11 months ago

Brown-nosing is worse than cheating and it will get you through all the way to a doctoral degree. The teachers thrive on it and aren't even aware of it. Feed their egos and call it a "social skill."

letsgetwise 6 years, 11 months ago

I gave answers during a vocabulary class in high school and was caught. It was the last test for the semester, I had an "A" for the class and the teacher "flunked" both me and my friend. I had to have the credit, so guess what? There were two levels of class, and I was taking "high school" level, at the time, so they made me take the "college" level, and then average the two grades together to get the "F" off of my transcript. I made an "A" that next semester, so now my high school transcript reads a "C". You know, my parent never went ranting and raving about how unfair that was, and neither did I. I knew I had cheated, even though I was the one "giving" the answers. I learned my lesson well.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Not really. I may have glanced at someone's paper or asked someone what answer they got, but I've never written the answer on my shoe or the bill of my cap."

• Jason Cole, graduate teaching assistant, Lawrence

So, being a graduate teaching assistant, Mr. Cole, you're telling me that if a student in your class would glance at someone else's paper or would ask someone else what answer they got, you wouldn't accuse them of cheating? Is that my understanding?

On topic, the only time I remember cheating was in first grade. I think I felt so guilty that's why I never did it again and why it has stuck in my memory for all those many years.