Previous   Next

Should Kansas University basketball player Brandon Rush go pro?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on April 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“If he didn’t go pro last year and didn’t really improve his position in the draft, then why go pro now when he can still improve? The NBA isn’t going anywhere.”

“Yeah. Why wait? I don’t really know that much about it, but why would he pass it up if that’s what he wants to do in the long run anyway?”

“I don’t think he should go pro. Every mock draft I’ve seen has him going late in the first or early in the second round. If it’s as deep a draft as people say it is, maybe he’d have better luck next year.”

“No. I don’t think he should go pro. I always kind of thought Rush was overrated until it was crunch time in the tournament and he really came through.”

Comments

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 12 months ago

Babboy - I was at my brother's house in KC last weekend and we were watching VH1 Classic (oddly enough, not near as bad as it sounds). Rush was the guest of some VJ. Anyhow, they said they've come out with a new record every other year for at least 30 years or something along those lines. I couldn't name a song they did after the 93 or 94 album (can't remember title obviously). Apparently, they still sell out the big sheds and arenas. Odd, I thought. More power to them.

Newell_Post 6 years, 12 months ago

He's already gone pro. He's just moving from the minor leagues to the bigs.

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

Yes, he should go pro. How else will he ever be able to afford the rising cost of gas.

coolmom 6 years, 12 months ago

normally i am a stay in school type but as the hubbie pointed out if he goes in the first round he could stand to make a lot of money. hard to pass that up especially if the basketball time in finite.

BABBOY 6 years, 12 months ago

TOB:

Cool reference to the Rush band. Neal Peart is an outstanding drummer. FYI: They are coming to Sandstone (or whatever they call that place now) in August. I do not really like their new stuff or anything after say about 1985.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

T_O_B, Remember, save Rush for when the kids are still awake.

paladin 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm kinda thinkin he meby might outa stay in school and get some more book learnin. Meby get a edeecation, even gradeeate. That's what college kids go ta school fer, ain't it? Meby its stupid ta quit on his schoolin. I went ta college and got me some deegrees and I ain't got a pot ta pee in. Jest who's stupid? Who's the chump?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

"can't think of one thing you've never been irreverent about.." -sue

Apparently then not much is sacred to me...

Though you have never heard me utter the "ineffable"

Plosive consonants rule!!!

RonBurgandy 6 years, 12 months ago

They need to put a little more space between the "suggest removal" and the poster's name. At least on my screen it's like it's telling me to suggest the removal of the poster.

Rush'll be back.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

Good one there, TOB. Obscure, but okay.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 12 months ago

"I always kind of thought Rush was overrated"

Should a waitress/bartender really being calling Rush overrated? Sounds like someone needs to focus on her own career and ignore his."

Whoa. I totally agree. I hate when someone doubts the amazing playing ability of Geddy Lee and crew.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

RI, Im can't think of one thing you've never been irreverent about...'cept maybe your propensity to promote propaganda by propagating profuse "P" postulations! :)

prospector 6 years, 12 months ago

I pulled this off the website story. He is the LJW staffer posting.

(Jeff Croft) says:

Dambudzo: The little white guy in a blue background is there as part of our plans to implement the ability for you to upload a photo or graphic as an avatar. We haven't enabled that feature yet, but when we do, you'll be able to replace the blue guy with a graphic of your choice.

Which

picture

will

Marion

use

to

scare

the

children

?

Thanks.

prospector

Ceallach 6 years, 12 months ago

Until the caste system is officially launched a waitress/bartender, or anyone else for that matter, may express their opinions . . . even about basketball players! Others might question whether or not you should be underrating her.

Confrontation 6 years, 12 months ago

"I always kind of thought Rush was overrated"

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

Clemens

Clemems- T_O_B's rare affliction strikes again....

Hey It's FRIDAY!!!!

prospector where are those margaritas?...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

Mr Clemems also penned another favorite of mine....

When a thing is sacred to me it is impossible for me to be irreverent toward it. I cannot call to mind a single instance where I have ever been irreverent, except toward the things which were sacred to other people.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

Ceal, If I was forced I would rather be RECLUSIVE_IRREVERENT, than reticent recluse or reticent recusererer. . . Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense. -Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Gootsie 6 years, 12 months ago

I like what April said. But I hope if he does bolt, he does well.

How do you change your email address in this silly database? If you try to contact me through LJW, it goes to my old email. I've asked for help, but (sob sob) been ignored...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

Is it 9:30 P.M. CST already?

I wonder if the devil spawn are still setting on the steps of the school?

Ceallach 6 years, 12 months ago

trinity, must be the meds, everything looks the same to me :)

Ceallach 6 years, 12 months ago

sooo, are you now a reticent recluse? or a reticent recusererer? (spell check doesn't like it no matter how many ers I add :)

Rush is wanting to leave? Is there no end to the ways in which President Bush tries to make us suffer? Now he's manipulating our players to leave school and run with the big dogs! Must be because KU sits in the middle of the only blue dot in Kansas.

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

sue: Maybe soon we can upload pictures for our blue guys! I've got great ones.

trinity 6 years, 12 months ago

dear gawds, i'm gone for a week to get surged&i come back to ots&find THIS??? wowzer. and yes snap, we are all as one, now. not sure i'm liking this. i like your idea ss, at the very least could we not choose a color for our background, silhouette, etc?? i'd like to be maybe a nice shade of lilac. or green. or oh i don't know, this is just WEIRD! CHANGE! aggghhhhh!!!!

as for rush? awww c'mon, puhleaase stay?!

back to the pain meds&nappy time.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

why, when you click on the little white person in the blue box, does it go to the top of the page? Do we all have to be white in a blue box? Maybe I'd like to be blue in a white box...green in a yellow box...

Unix_Admin 6 years, 12 months ago

My name looks nice in blue. :-)

yellatex1 6 years, 12 months ago

GO BRANDON, GO!! Best of luck at the next level.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 12 months ago

TOB, wanna take bets to see whose liver fails first? I've been known to engage in a few "Shock and Awe" campaigns against mine.

mikeisthename 6 years, 12 months ago

Rush has a lot to live up to with being part of a basketball family. Older bro JaRon went to UCLA then went pro and tanked. Kareem stayed regional at Mizzou (boo hiss), was a solid player and is now entrenched on a NBA bench somewhere. Brandon does not to end up like his older brothers. Family pride is at stake here for them. They may have delusions of grandeur of Brandon being the next so and so.
To paraphrase a Clash song, "Should he stay or should he go?" He has a lot on his shoulders with family expectations. I think he should go to the NBA, the league that deals in potential. He does have that in huge doses.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 12 months ago

I have to admit that I didn't notice the lack of a main page link for the BIG! OTS. I never even go through the main page anymore; I just go directly here:

As far as Brandon Rush ... if he doesn't want to be at Kansas, he won't be particularly enjoyable if he does stay. If he really wants to jump to the NBA, it's probably better for KU if he leaves.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

RI, "I recluse myself"...does that mean you are sprouting 2 extra pair of limbs and getting a big violin tattoo on your back?

Rush: as long as he doesn't get an agent, but then I really have no feelings on the subject.

Prospector, that is one nutritional recommendation that I'll adhere to.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 12 months ago

R_I - Did you gain a thumb and lose a few fingers? Are you in blind in one eye? Is your liver swollen like a bloated cow? If not, please direct your excuses elsewhere.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

prospector,

"I recuse myself"

T_O_B's spelling is wearing off on me....

mom_of_three 6 years, 12 months ago

No, I don't want Rush to go, but it seems he has made a right decision so far by not hiring an agent, and being able to come back to school if he decides to.
But his brothers left school early, and has it worked out for them?

spacehog 6 years, 12 months ago

I think KU should become an NBA team. The last guy that cared about getting an education was Chris Moody. That way none of the players would leave and Lew Perkins would make more money. Win-Win situation.

prospector 6 years, 12 months ago

"I recluse myself."

Please come back as soon as you feel comfortable. There is support for you here.

Margaritas will be waiting and now they are good for you. But I know you knew that.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

My little picture looks just like everybody else's picture. :(

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 12 months ago

I found it by clicking the "most popular" stories link. Although this isn't really a story.

Should he go pro? It looks like he already made his decision. I'm not sure what benefit my input will be to him.

Sunshine! 80 degrees this weekend. Oh, yep. This is going to be a long day.

BABBOY 6 years, 12 months ago

Everyone who found the question today gets a smiley face or golden star.

Irreverent is right. It is completely up to Rush.

Frankly, Rush's reasoning is pretty good. He noted that he is already 22 and does not want to be 23 year old rookie. Further, the way he is doing it, he can back out if he wanted to do so.

I wish him the best of luck.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm not him, his agent, mother, father, or coach. Who am I to make this decision. I recluse myself.

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

commentary from david ryan on the new format forum says that an OTS link from the front page is forthcoming.

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

This seems like a smart decision. He can back out if he wants to, and he can see where he'll end up standing. If he's going to be placed high enough, there's no reason for him to stick around for next year to improve his position.

Still, I'd like him to stay, for purely selfish reasons. He's a good player, and he'll only get better.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

Wow, with this new format, they sure have made the Big! OTS hard to find!

Anyway, on topic, I think he'd be better served to stay another year, but I can't begrudge him for at least testing the waters. His reasoning about being a 23 year old rookie if he waits another year is very logical. I wish him the best no matter how this plays out.

Crossfire 6 years, 12 months ago

If you in school, stay in school.