Previous   Next

What is your favorite card game?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 23, 2007

Browse the archives

“Go Fish. It’s the only card game I haven’t forgotten how to play.”

“Uno. It’s one of those games you grow up playing where it’s OK to be a little mean.”

“Apples to Apples. It’s a game where a judge has the cards with topics on them, and you have cards with nouns. You have to play the card that best represents the judge’s topic, and they decide which player wins the round.”

“Either spades or bridge. They both take a lot of strategy, and you have to work as a team.”

Comments

Bill Chapman 8 years, 1 month ago

My family used get together and have dinner. Then we would usually play Uno - my favorite thing to do was to hold onto a wild card or a wild draw four card until the very end so no one could stop me from going out. I had a reputation as a bad person to sit next to when playing uno. Wouldn 't known why - Heh heh heh . . .

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

speed! used to spend hours playing that one with my young'uns! :)

enochville 8 years, 1 month ago

I like Phase 10 for two or more people, Scum for 6 or more people (also goes by the name of President and another name I can't say here), and Spades for 4 people.

Ragingbear 8 years, 1 month ago

First of all, that this guy in charge of keeping us safe from fire can't think of a game better than Go Fish scares me. But at least he has a job of worth. Secondly, why no references to Gin or 500 Rummy?

busymom 8 years, 1 month ago

Condemning someone b/c of a card game? Seriously, get a life. And I have too many games that I love to play w/kiddo and w/parents to choose just one.

Crossfire 8 years, 1 month ago

5-card draw or 7-card stud. Any other uses of the 52 cards is blasphemy.

canyon_wren 8 years, 1 month ago

Just about any card game that I can get people to play. I suppose Cribbage counts, since it uses cards, but is somewhat different--I love that. The rest that people mention are all fun. Haven't learned to play Eucre yet, but hope to do so before long--people say it's a great game. The many kinds of poker are all fun, too--Follow the Queen, Baseball, 31, etc.

samsnewplace 8 years, 1 month ago

Phase 10, Uno, Mille Bornes, so many fun one's to pick from.....

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

I like spite and malice when it's just my hubby and I. If its more than 4 people, poker, all the way.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 1 month ago

nothing I will lose money at and only if my 7 year old can play so just kid games but go fish drives me nuts she always wins.

nbnozzy 8 years, 1 month ago

black lady hearts is fun. Cribbage is the best.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

5 pt pitch!!!

My family has always been "card playing people." Whenever we all get together there will be at least a couple hours of 5 pt pitch. I'm in for just about any game, though. When very young, we played "pig" (I think some call it "spoons." We never had enough spoons, though ('cause all our money went into cards), so we'd just put a finger on our nose, keep passin' the cards and see who was the last fool to notice that they were the only one still playing. Ah...good times!

A neighbor introduced us to the "Pirates of the Carribbean" dice game. We're kinda hooked on that now. Now all of our money goes into picking up extra dice. We'll get those spoons someday!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

prospector, David Blaine creeps me out. But he's so darned good looking I can't turn away!

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

I always like a good game of Blackjack and used to play Canasta, but nobody plays that anymore, it seems. As far as games go, I much prefer a good Scrabble match.

Kevin Sontag 8 years, 1 month ago

Check out the youtube video for The World Series of Uno. Its awesome.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Doesn't anyone play pinochle anymore? I love that game.

Hi there, enochville!! Long time, no post. Good to see your name again :)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

It's a tie between Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.

Oh, wait. Wrong sort of card game. Sorry.

I like Hearts. Poker is fun, too. And Canasta. But I have not yet been able to really get into Euchre. I mean, I learned how to play it, but it still doesn't really make sense to me.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt, a friend of yore had a dog he called Euchre. As the dog had a gastro problem, we lovingly called him "Pukin' Euchre." Never played the card game...me, not the dog...well, probably the little dog, too!

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

A card game called "golf" - and texas hold'em

SeaFox 8 years, 1 month ago

Yea for Uno! And Apple to Apples is fun. Thank God no one said "Pokemon".

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Pinocle, canasta, solitare. Yep - love those!

I'm guessing the vodka reference is because Yeltsin died?

Janet Lowther 8 years, 1 month ago

Gin. I played it with my grandmother and aunts when I was a kid.

I played Hearts a lot while waiting on the computer, back in the days of punched cards. . .

Never could figure out Bridge. I did play Whist a little, but as near as I can remember, it was almost the same as Hearts, except with spades instead of hearts.

I hate to say it, but I've never heard of about half of the games people have named. . . Does this mean I've turned into an old fart sometime I wasn't looking? Or does it mean THEY're the old. . .

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, I haven't played pinochle since I lived in Chicago. I hadn't run into anyone around here that knew how to play it. Now I don't think I can remember . . . maybe I can . . . The trump suit's Jack is tops, then the opposite suit of the same color Jack, then the Ace . . . now to find a place that sells a pinochle deck. I guess you could make a desk our of two regular decks, but does pinochle use the 9-A or is it 10-A? I don't play a game ifor 30+ years and I feel like I'm stricken with Alzheimers.

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh, yeah, and gin. My grandmother in law was a shark.
Played hearts from time to time.

Crossfire 8 years, 1 month ago

If you have stock in Russian Vodka, now might be a good time to sell.

Goodbye Boris.

Moose and Squirrel are sad. :-(

Is Natasha available now?

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

With a regular deck of 52 cards:

I guess Rummy is my favorite, though it seems that everybody plays it differently.

Spades, canasta, solitaire games, hearts, old maid, go fish (you can see the parent in me with all of those), slap jack (is that one considered physical abuse now?), poker (we play for buttons). Never learned to play gin, but I always wanted to.

With speciality decks, I like Uno, Phase 10, and an old one called Rage. Unfortunately, I lost my original deck of those, and I guess the only company that makes them anymore is in Germany.

Nowadays, I seem to be lacking in partners, so solitaire is usually it.

enochville 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey, Ceallach! I rarely ever check my email address that LJWorld sends messages to. I am doing great and I am still in Lawrence. My wife and son are doing well to.

Bill Chapman 8 years ago

I think i should post that I have played: nearly every form of poker.And also have played: uno, pitch, hearts, bridge, canasta, cribbage, a game my parents called Oh $hit!, gut (there's a nasty one for ya), quarters, . . . I can't remember any more, but I KNOW theres more.

I left out the kids games cause I rarely play them anymore.

nertzfan 8 years ago

Nertz is a great game. It takes speed, strategy, and skill and can be played with both small and large groups of people. Visit http://www.playnertz.com/ to learn more about it!