Previous   Next

Do you celebrate Earth Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I used to when I was a kid. It was kind of something my mom did with my brother and I, but I haven’t recently.”

“I don’t celebrate it. I recognize when it’s coming up, but I don’t usually do anything.”

“I have in the past, but not in the last four years. Since I moved to Lawrence, I’ve been really busy.”

“I did when I was young, but not anymore. I try to be conscious of the earth and environment every day.”

Comments

Bill Chapman 6 years, 12 months ago

I tend to judge by rate of fire and range of accurate fire. With some of the new ToT (Time on Target) software being used in the new artilery pieces for the marines and army the MO would be TRUELY devesating.

Think 5 to 7 rounds timed to impact on target at the SAME time. With the nearly 1 ton shells of the MO you could turn a carrier into shards. (Of cousre you'd have to avoid getting smeared by tomahawks, fighter launched anti- ship missles and just plain bombed)

Lulu 6 years, 12 months ago

I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. We are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.

Hand washing is a waste of water. It should be discouraged. Antibiotics wouldn't be so prevalent if it weren't for washing your hands.

Stop the ride, drive, and fly aspect fo our lives. Everyone needs to wake up and smell the coffee people. Walk or ride your bike.

Crossfire 6 years, 12 months ago

Earth Day 2007... I've been busy all day.

This old earth Needs our help To stay fresh and clean and green With a pick it up; pitch it in; and throw it in the can-- This old earth needs a helping hand!

So I dug this big old hole in the back yard took all those little flimsey plastic bags and my used motor oil and gave it all back to Mother earth. 'Cause you know that oil came from Earth and it must go right back.

Recycling in my home goes round and round, Round and round, round and round. Recycling in my home goes round and round, All through the day.

I feel great.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 12 months ago

Dracul:

It may well be said that all post-Dreadnought battleships are indeed and in fact Dreadnoughts in spirit.

HMS Dreadnought:

The Japanese battleships Yamato and Musashi; the largest ever built, depended on over 100 anti-aircraft guns each and the secondary batteries were of little importance or use.

It has been said that the Bismarcks (Bismarck, Tirpitz and Hindenburg(Unfinished)) were little more than slightly re-designed WWI batleships.

It is my opinion, based on years of research that the Iowas represent the pinnacle of battleship construction and I think that the use of those ships well into the 1990s bear out my thoughts.

The Montana Class; never built, would have exceed the Iowas, however.

Note the similarity to the Yamatos!:

The Bismarcks were the most beautiful battleships ever built, however, with their Atlantic bows and graceful lines.

I have done a bit of research on a ship which was nver built; a TEN turret Super-Dreadnought; the idea of which was considered but then sidelined because of the terrific amount of steel which would have been required.

The design had two bow turrets, six mid-ship turrets in binary configuration; three on each side of the monster, and two stern turrets in standard configuration.

The main guns were to have been of 20 inch calbre.

There would also have been diffculty harbouring such a craft as there were no harbours in the world which could accept a ship of such draft.

Oddly enough, the closest thing to a standoff between the battleships was Jutland but EVERYONE ran away instead of pounding it out.

Each side claimed that it won; I tend to side with the Germans but von Spee should have done a better job and decimated the British fleet, which he held in the palm of his hand and in his sights.

Had he turned instead of making smoke, the First Word War would have turned out quite differently!

At any rate, we shall never see the likes of such great ships again.

Thanks.

Marion.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

"dreadnought" often refers to a battleships of a particular era.

"Dreadnaught. An early battleship characterized by a single caliber big gun with a main battery of guns of 11 inches or more, no intermediate battery, a secondary battery from 3 to 6 inches caliber and a speed of at least 18 knots."

See: http://www.bluejacket.com/sea-service_tradition.htm#Dreadnaught

The WW II USS Missouri (BB-63) was built in what most would call the post-dreadnought years.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 12 months ago

Ummm . . . Marion: you should know that the last surface ship that could reasonably claim the title "dreadnought" was the USS Missouri. Also known as "The Mighty Mo".

My only contribution to "Earth Day" is that I use CFL lights - but not for "eco friendly" reason - they just cost me less money to use and last longer than regular light bulbs. My apartment has wiring from the early 70's and my building (and the others around mine) tend to get about 5 power outages a year. The sudden surge of electricity when the power comes back on will sometimes blow out incandescent bulbs.

Godot 6 years, 12 months ago

I ask because, what the heck do you do with all those disposable diapers, neatly confined in those plastic "diaper genie" sleeves? What kind of a future putrid bomb do they make for the landfills?

I heard about a company in the Phoenix area that recycles used disposable diapers to make coffin liners. Do they have a service that goes around to houses to pick up the diapers? Or do they hire people to sift through the landfills?

Godot 6 years, 12 months ago

Which is more environmentally friendly, disposable diapers or cloth? Which has a smaller C02 footprint?

Godot 6 years, 12 months ago

I remember when earth day was just a pleasant afternoon in the park; now it is a political statement. Somehow that takes the bloom off the rose for me.

budwhysir 6 years, 12 months ago

Good old earth day. A day to be spent driving around in my suv with the ac cranked so I have purified air in the cabin.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 12 months ago

Snap:

How's LaPorte?

The USS Texas, the last of the Dreadnoughts!:

Been on the bridge of the Texas, I have; wonderful place!

Thanks.

Marion.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

I went & spent some time wandering around on the battleship Texas, which played a part in saving the earth from the Axis 60+ years ago.

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

oops, sorry, I meant Ted Haggard. He is a great example to prove that it doesn't matter how clean cut one might appear or religion one professes to be, it is who you are inside that matters most.

lunacydetector 6 years, 12 months ago

who is ted haggert? NEVER heard of him.

JSDAD 6 years, 12 months ago

how the heck did rundel end up on this page too??? come on let it die..

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

"be nice to me and I'll be nice to you" -- now that is funny! Since when have you ever practiced that line of thought?

Pilgrim 6 years, 12 months ago

Yes, by driving an SUV aimlessly around the city for no reason at all.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 12 months ago

Bea:

I do not "rejoice" in anyone filing a bankruptcy.

What I WAS overjoyed about and having a great deal of fun with was the IRONY!

The lack of "human interaction" is NOT why I am successful on the 'net but rather EXPERTISE in what I am doing, the lack of rent, property tax, utilities and other "business expences".

In a face-to-face situation, I can sell ice cubes to Eskimos but I prefer to no longer engage in traditional retail selling as my profit margins on the 'net are exponentially greater than in a brick and mortar storefront.

Admittedly, not having to deal directly with average American consumer is a blessing because the average American consumer is a complete dolt; always "just looking", generally not ready to make a buying decision, beleives that he/she have rights that he/she does not have.("Right Of Recission"; usually translated as "I can return this thing any time I want!": No, you cannot!) and reads idiotic things like Consumer Reports in a feeble attempt to use that bought-off publication in lieu of real knowledge about the product.

As far as the personal comment that I made; be nice to me and I'll be nice to you and the ball is in YOUR court!

Thanks.

Marion.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 12 months ago

I celebrate Earth Day by burning tar soaked coal with s few tires added in for good measure.

I then get on an electric treadmill and run 4 miles (using electricity on the tread mill and the AC in the Gym), I then proceed to use the AC in my apartment that the Prop[erty Manager won't replace because it isn't broken, but it is 20-30 years old.

Folks, the CF light bulbs are NOT the answer. It is getting ALL stupid expenditures of electricity and power to stop.

Electric treadmills: how many are there in Kansas? How many are across the country. These things are energy hogs.

Old AC units at apartments and rental units. These are another pig sucking electricity. There needs to be code change to get these AC units newer efficient ones in rental units. Property managers and those that lease and rent duplex and apartments need to be held accountable.

Those 2 "conservation choices" above would far outstrip the CF light bulbs. YOu have to remember all the mercury in CF bulbs and the billions that are being bought and sold currently. MUCH more mercury entering the environment to produce and dispose of CF bulbs than Coal Generation.

That is why we need science and not "consensus". We need to know what is going on and and what works, not something "Dr. Heidi Cullen" spouts off on the Weather Channel.

Please educate yourselves, and do what is right. Don't let these charletons pawn off something that is not good for the earth.

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

Oh, and Marion, your calling me a prostitute yesterday was classic. I know who I am. And I know that your rejoicing in someone else filing for bankruptcy does make you a great big hypocrite.

You now claim to be very succesful with your internet business. Good for you. I'm not at all surprised that the element of human interaction needed to be removed from the business equation before you acheived success.

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

"no, i don't have goofy hair. no, i don't look like a freak. no, i'm not a public school teacher pushing their religion at work. no, i'm not a registered democrat, atheist, lesbian needing a woman god to worship."

Neither is Ted Haggert. So your point is ...?

To paraphrase Kirk Vonnegut: "We could have saved the earth, but we were too damn cheap and lazy."

budwhysir 6 years, 12 months ago

When is earth day?? I might celebrate this year

lunacydetector 6 years, 12 months ago

why not call it for what it is, "Earth Nazi Day."

saving mother earth? the earth will always be here, even after a nuclear holocaust.

the earth is fine.

george carlin says it best, "I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths."

BABBOY 6 years, 12 months ago

Jonus:

I prefer Harvester of Sorrow but I get your riff.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 12 months ago

And do NOT whizz on the electric fence!

Thanks.

Marion.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 12 months ago

In my personal effort to conserve our important, finite, and precious water supply, I observe "Pee On Earth Day" every day, not just on the 21st of July.

Hint of the day: Face downwind.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 12 months ago

Ys, I think so but you should know that because I am an avid inventor, I have tried to clean things up a bit!

The solar-powered rider proved to be unworkable as the solar arry required to cahrge the batteries would have covered the entire field, thereby eliminating the need to cut the grass.

The wind up trimmer didn't work out as users found themselves prone to developing carpal tunnel syndrome from working against the very strong springwork required.

I tried to raise sunflowers to distill into biofuel but the blooms attracted bees and I am highly allergic to bee stings; hence the return to conventionally powered lawn equipment.

Thanks.

Marion.

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 12 months ago

Sounds like a lot of work for a "celebration" there Marion. Kinda like cleaning the toilet for christmas or putting up new shingles for your birthday.

But you have captured the sentiment of the nation.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 12 months ago

Yes, I am going to celbrate Earth Day by cutting my lawn and field with a gasoline powered lawn tractor.

I will also spray some herbicide as I am very tired of the poison ivy and that darned honeysuckle all over the fence.

I will then trim up things with a gasoline powered weed whacker before doing the foundation of the house with insecticide to keep out the bugs.

After all of this I will be somewhat tired and will seek refreshment by driving my gasoline powered verhicle to one of the better nearby watering holes at which place I will consume feedlot raised beef and drink a few imported beers which arrived in this country via oil burning ships.

Ya'll have a nice day now, ya hear?

Thanks.

Marion.

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

Oh yeah, I spend the whole day listening to "Blackened" by Metallica, to think about the consequences of our resource consumption and pollution. Much better than some trip-happy hippy jam band bs.

enochville 6 years, 12 months ago

Yes, my wife and I recycle throughout the year, but we make sure to note and talk about Earth Day. Today the Discovery Channel is playing a marathon of its new Planet Earth series. We have recorded every show so far, and we are excited to see the last couple of episodes.