Previous   Next

Do you celebrate Earth Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I used to when I was a kid. It was kind of something my mom did with my brother and I, but I haven’t recently.”

“I don’t celebrate it. I recognize when it’s coming up, but I don’t usually do anything.”

“I have in the past, but not in the last four years. Since I moved to Lawrence, I’ve been really busy.”

“I did when I was young, but not anymore. I try to be conscious of the earth and environment every day.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah, I spend the whole day listening to "Blackened" by Metallica, to think about the consequences of our resource consumption and pollution. Much better than some trip-happy hippy jam band bs.

enochville 7 years, 8 months ago

Yes, my wife and I recycle throughout the year, but we make sure to note and talk about Earth Day. Today the Discovery Channel is playing a marathon of its new Planet Earth series. We have recorded every show so far, and we are excited to see the last couple of episodes.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like a lot of work for a "celebration" there Marion. Kinda like cleaning the toilet for christmas or putting up new shingles for your birthday.

But you have captured the sentiment of the nation.

lunacydetector 7 years, 8 months ago

why not call it for what it is, "Earth Nazi Day."

saving mother earth? the earth will always be here, even after a nuclear holocaust.

the earth is fine.

george carlin says it best, "I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths."

budwhysir 7 years, 8 months ago

When is earth day?? I might celebrate this year

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

"no, i don't have goofy hair. no, i don't look like a freak. no, i'm not a public school teacher pushing their religion at work. no, i'm not a registered democrat, atheist, lesbian needing a woman god to worship."

Neither is Ted Haggert. So your point is ...?

To paraphrase Kirk Vonnegut: "We could have saved the earth, but we were too damn cheap and lazy."

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh, and Marion, your calling me a prostitute yesterday was classic. I know who I am. And I know that your rejoicing in someone else filing for bankruptcy does make you a great big hypocrite.

You now claim to be very succesful with your internet business. Good for you. I'm not at all surprised that the element of human interaction needed to be removed from the business equation before you acheived success.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 8 months ago

I celebrate Earth Day by burning tar soaked coal with s few tires added in for good measure.

I then get on an electric treadmill and run 4 miles (using electricity on the tread mill and the AC in the Gym), I then proceed to use the AC in my apartment that the Prop[erty Manager won't replace because it isn't broken, but it is 20-30 years old.

Folks, the CF light bulbs are NOT the answer. It is getting ALL stupid expenditures of electricity and power to stop.

Electric treadmills: how many are there in Kansas? How many are across the country. These things are energy hogs.

Old AC units at apartments and rental units. These are another pig sucking electricity. There needs to be code change to get these AC units newer efficient ones in rental units. Property managers and those that lease and rent duplex and apartments need to be held accountable.

Those 2 "conservation choices" above would far outstrip the CF light bulbs. YOu have to remember all the mercury in CF bulbs and the billions that are being bought and sold currently. MUCH more mercury entering the environment to produce and dispose of CF bulbs than Coal Generation.

That is why we need science and not "consensus". We need to know what is going on and and what works, not something "Dr. Heidi Cullen" spouts off on the Weather Channel.

Please educate yourselves, and do what is right. Don't let these charletons pawn off something that is not good for the earth.

Lulu 7 years, 8 months ago

I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. We are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.

Hand washing is a waste of water. It should be discouraged. Antibiotics wouldn't be so prevalent if it weren't for washing your hands.

Stop the ride, drive, and fly aspect fo our lives. Everyone needs to wake up and smell the coffee people. Walk or ride your bike.

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

"be nice to me and I'll be nice to you" -- now that is funny! Since when have you ever practiced that line of thought?

JSDAD 7 years, 8 months ago

how the heck did rundel end up on this page too??? come on let it die..

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

oops, sorry, I meant Ted Haggard. He is a great example to prove that it doesn't matter how clean cut one might appear or religion one professes to be, it is who you are inside that matters most.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

I went & spent some time wandering around on the battleship Texas, which played a part in saving the earth from the Axis 60+ years ago.

budwhysir 7 years, 8 months ago

Good old earth day. A day to be spent driving around in my suv with the ac cranked so I have purified air in the cabin.

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

I remember when earth day was just a pleasant afternoon in the park; now it is a political statement. Somehow that takes the bloom off the rose for me.

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

Which is more environmentally friendly, disposable diapers or cloth? Which has a smaller C02 footprint?

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

I ask because, what the heck do you do with all those disposable diapers, neatly confined in those plastic "diaper genie" sleeves? What kind of a future putrid bomb do they make for the landfills?

I heard about a company in the Phoenix area that recycles used disposable diapers to make coffin liners. Do they have a service that goes around to houses to pick up the diapers? Or do they hire people to sift through the landfills?

Bill Chapman 7 years, 8 months ago

Ummm . . . Marion: you should know that the last surface ship that could reasonably claim the title "dreadnought" was the USS Missouri. Also known as "The Mighty Mo".

My only contribution to "Earth Day" is that I use CFL lights - but not for "eco friendly" reason - they just cost me less money to use and last longer than regular light bulbs. My apartment has wiring from the early 70's and my building (and the others around mine) tend to get about 5 power outages a year. The sudden surge of electricity when the power comes back on will sometimes blow out incandescent bulbs.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

"dreadnought" often refers to a battleships of a particular era.

"Dreadnaught. An early battleship characterized by a single caliber big gun with a main battery of guns of 11 inches or more, no intermediate battery, a secondary battery from 3 to 6 inches caliber and a speed of at least 18 knots."

See: http://www.bluejacket.com/sea-service_tradition.htm#Dreadnaught

The WW II USS Missouri (BB-63) was built in what most would call the post-dreadnought years.

Crossfire 7 years, 8 months ago

Earth Day 2007... I've been busy all day.

This old earth Needs our help To stay fresh and clean and green With a pick it up; pitch it in; and throw it in the can-- This old earth needs a helping hand!

So I dug this big old hole in the back yard took all those little flimsey plastic bags and my used motor oil and gave it all back to Mother earth. 'Cause you know that oil came from Earth and it must go right back.

Recycling in my home goes round and round, Round and round, round and round. Recycling in my home goes round and round, All through the day.

I feel great.

Bill Chapman 7 years, 8 months ago

I tend to judge by rate of fire and range of accurate fire. With some of the new ToT (Time on Target) software being used in the new artilery pieces for the marines and army the MO would be TRUELY devesating.

Think 5 to 7 rounds timed to impact on target at the SAME time. With the nearly 1 ton shells of the MO you could turn a carrier into shards. (Of cousre you'd have to avoid getting smeared by tomahawks, fighter launched anti- ship missles and just plain bombed)