Previous   Next

How do you like to eat asparagus?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 18, 2007

Browse the archives

“Grilled with a little olive oil with salt and pepper or steamed with some lemon juice and butter.”

“I like it steamed with butter, salt and pepper, and I like to eat it with steak.”

“I don’t. I tried it once, and it wasn’t pleasing to my palate so I’ve never tried it again.”

“I just like it steamed with salt and butter.”

Comments

hitme 7 years ago

I would eat it in a nook; I would eat it with a book.
I would eat it on a bus would eat it without a fuss I would eat the asparagus...

faceit 7 years ago

"eat ASparagus" huh..huh, huh

cowgomoo 7 years ago

Posted by Pywacket (anonymous) on April 18, 2007 at 9:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Cowgomoo~ The asparagus or the gentlemen?

Ha! You know, about a half second after I clicked "post comment" I realized what I was leaving open there......the asparagus.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

NOT! asparagus to me is in the same food group as brussel sprouts=yuk.

so, Pywacket, let's unite and not be ashamed! ASPARAGUS HATERS UNITE! I'M OKAY, YOU'RE OKAY!

Andini, I too would have trouble if it were the last stuff to eat on earth. cannibalism would seem attractive.

Mrs. Gnome loves to get the pendleton's purple asparagus, can eat raw, no ends to cut off. she swears by them; I just swear at 'em.

used to be you could go out there and pick it yourself. they probably do that again this year.

you all did good today. ensilage, shortcake, steak, pee-odors.

Pywacket 7 years ago

Cowgomoo~ The asparagus or the gentlemen?

H_Lecter 7 years ago

Sue, I couldn't have said it better.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Yeah; I'm just a sexy kinda guy!

Thanks.

Marion.

Jace 7 years ago

Wow, Marion!

Some serious sexual innuendos in that post of yours!!

Crispian Paul 7 years ago

I have to second the fact that asparagus is one of the world's best veggies. Stick it in a can and it tastes like a** and has the consistency of a really thick loogie.

Grilled in foil with olive oil, salt and pepper. Or raw/slightly blanched, with cream cheese and prosciutto wrapped around it.

cowgomoo 7 years ago

I read somewhere that there was a posh supper club in London that had a sign posted, "Gentlemen will please refrain from urinating outside during asparagus season."

I like them steamed soft.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Well, as my final word on the matter of aspargus, I can only say that aspargus should be long and hard before cooking and only slightly less so after; ready for eating.

Thanks.

Marion.

P.S.

Ya'll did fine taking the ball and running with it!

You made my day!

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Ohjay, since H_L hasn't come out to play today, I'm going to guess that he would add: "With a good friend."

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

sue - I was thinking the same thing about H_L... wondering if he eats his asparagus with fava beans and a nice chianti

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Ceal, Huh, huh! :)

I have 2 fat spears of asparagus coming up in my garden. Now I need to go check my wild patches and see if Trinity has gotten to them yet.

Ceallach 7 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that all y'all spend waaaaayyyy too much time smelling your pee :P

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

crazyks, Set 'em up Jacks has 1/2 price basket 'o livers M-F from 4-6. I can get my youngest to snarf them w/ me but the rest prefer those nasty 'ol chewy tough gizzards. Dunked in enough gravy, I guess even those are edible.

jonas 7 years ago

Andini: Of course, by the time that it happens that the last thing on earth is asparagus, I doubt there will be much left to live for anyway.

Pink_Sock 7 years ago

You are all disgusting.....gag

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Steamed crisp w/ just a bit o' salt. Throw in a baked potato and a steak and you have a perfect meal. I think strawberry shortcake would be the dessert to finish this meal off nicely.

I know what ensilage is. Lost an uncle to an ensilage cutter...but that was a long time ago, it is a glorious day, and we are talking food. (perfect set-up for H_L) :$

The pee issue...not worth boycotting asparagus. And since when has pee ever smelled good???

Gootsie 7 years ago

Wow, Prioress. Someone really spent a lot of time researching it! Thanks for sharing!

Jace 7 years ago

Wow! Thank you for sharing that with the rest of us, dad!

Seriously!

But, you know, having said that.......thank you even more for not having shared with the rest of us what your other bodily fluids smell like after you've eaten asparagus!

daddax98 7 years ago

I agree with the babe. Love way it tastes but the smell of my urine afterwards makes me want to vomit

prioress 7 years ago

Does asparagus make your pee smell funny?

In many people, yes.

"All agree it is likely some sulphur-containing compound, one likely contender being asparagusic acid..."

trinity 7 years ago

crazy i can hang with ya on the brussel sprouts-mm-and the other veggies listed, but ya lose me on the liver, blech. :)

Linda Endicott 7 years ago

I've never much cared for asparagus anyway.

But I love liver, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and brussel's sprouts. Go figure.

Defender 7 years ago

Extra virgin olive oil, EVOO

ms_canada 7 years ago

ceallach - what is EVOO? Please.

bevy 7 years ago

How do I eat asparagus? Any way I can! My fiance' hates the stuff and refuses to try it again since he tried some canned as a kid. He's anti-veggie anyway.

I agree it's awesome with steak.

Gootsie - nice use of a word we don't hear often anymore. Wonder how many folks here know what it means? Never noticed the unusual odor problem - but maybe I just haven't eaten enough of it.

Gootsie 7 years ago

T, you won't be sorry. They are scrumpdillyicious!

Gootsie 7 years ago

thanks TOB. We know what that is, don't we! And I didn't have to look up how to spell it!

ms_canada 7 years ago

I had an asparagus patch in my garden for 12 years. That is about as long as you can harvest it from a patch. My favourite way to eat it is with just butter and lemon juice or a lemon dill sauce. And it must not be wilted. Have you heard the story of asparagus and Babe Ruth. The babe was invited to a high society dinner where asparagus was served. When it came to him, he passed it on. When asked if he did not like it he said yes, he liked it but did not like the smell of his urine after eating it. The dinner guests and the hostess were rather shocked. This is a true story.

Ceallach 7 years ago

I like mine with lettuce and tomatoes, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes . . no wait, that's my cheeseburgers . .

Asparagus? Drizzled with EVOO, grilled, topped off with a wee bit of kosher salt . . . yum!

Andini 7 years ago

Never. Not even if they were the last thing on earth.

Pywacket 7 years ago

I am deeply ashamed to admit that asparagus is one of the few veggies I have never learned to like. I've tried it again every few years, hoping my taste would mature and I'd find it the gustatory delight most mortals rave about. But no...

(And preparation is not the issue. I simply cannot stand the stuff, however crisp and garlic-olive oily.)

I'm going to slink off now and comfort myself with some tiny broccoli florets and ruffly kale. Can I sop them in y'all's hollandaise sauce? That sounds yummy...

Jace 7 years ago

Like Jonas said.....with a cheese sauce....

Jamesaust 7 years ago

When's dinner, Jordan?

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

I don't. The taste doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer chocolate chip cookies.

mick 7 years ago

Just fine, thank you.

saraheckman 7 years ago

is it weird that i like it dipped in yellow mustard? that was how i was taught to eat it by my mom.

jonas 7 years ago

R-I: Only for the literati of the asparagus world. The common folk usually say biggun'

drewdun 7 years ago

Slathered in butter, covered with salt and pepper, and wrapped in foil, cooking next to my steak on the grill. Delicious.

trinity 7 years ago

ohhhh dear crazyks...not so much a matter of affording-if ya know where to look for wild! ;) easy to spot&bring home!

gootsie i GOTTA try your oven method-and i'll forever chuckle about the "olive oil" comment every time i eat asparagus! ;)

Linda Endicott 7 years ago

Who can afford asparagus?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

T_O_B,

Delicious dinner rolls, biscuits...

Are you the Baker in the family?

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Woohooo! Gootsie! First use of "ensilage" on the BIG! OTS. Gold star for you ma'am.

Norma Jeane Baker 7 years ago

Sorry, Crossfire, I've got to disagree with you: asparagus out of a can is nasty. It should be banned and possibly even considered a weapon of mass destruction! It usually involves that whole limp issue that we're all being so careful about today. Not to mention that the taste of canned asparagus is, well, canned.

Souki 7 years ago

I thought they were asking whether one used fingers or a fork.

Gootsie 7 years ago

Wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with olive oil (unless Popeye is in the room), then baked 10 minutes. Take out and sprinkle with feta cheese and bake 5 minutes more. YUM YUM!

And yes, it does make your pee smell like ensilage.

Azure_Attitude 7 years ago

I'm with TOB on this one. I love the hollindaise!! I'd still eat it without it though 'cuz I likes the asapragus. Informed is right on with the quiche also. I make a Quiche Benedict with hollindaise and asapragus that rocks.

GSWtotheheart 7 years ago

smothered in wine...(me, not the asparagus)

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Smothered in hollindaise sauce. I cooked some for Easter and I had the limp issues Marion is familiar with. But at least the sauce was there to sop up with my delicious dinner roll.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

jonas, "big honkin" Is that a technical term common among the asparagus eating vernacular?

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years ago

The real OTS question....

Does asparagus make your pee smell funny?

trinity 7 years ago

i like to eat asparagus any ol' way, that's one of my very fave veggies! :) creamed is reeeaallllyyyy yummy too... mmmmmmmmmm.

jonas 7 years ago

With a big honkin hunk of meat. And cheese sauce.

Crossfire 7 years ago

They are best early in the morning when the dew is still on them. ...just bite the tops off and leave the stalks in the ground. Or right out of the can. Remember to "Open other end".

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Aspargus should be served only slightly steamed or warmed and must not lose its inherent crispiness. There is nothign worse than asparagus which has been overcooked and gone soggy and limp.

uh oh

I wrote "limp".

I just fed you a straight line!

Have fun!

Thanks.

Marion.

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

Nice and slow-like. Much more menacing to the asparagus that way.

blue73harley 7 years ago

I consider it a weed. No thanks.

Norma Jeane Baker 7 years ago

Jordan has the right idea. It's also very good raw in a salad. And of course added to quiche, or in a nice cream soup.