Previous   Next

How do you like to eat asparagus?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 18, 2007

Browse the archives

“Grilled with a little olive oil with salt and pepper or steamed with some lemon juice and butter.”

“I like it steamed with butter, salt and pepper, and I like to eat it with steak.”

“I don’t. I tried it once, and it wasn’t pleasing to my palate so I’ve never tried it again.”

“I just like it steamed with salt and butter.”

Comments

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

With a big honkin hunk of meat. And cheese sauce.

Crossfire 8 years, 1 month ago

They are best early in the morning when the dew is still on them. ...just bite the tops off and leave the stalks in the ground. Or right out of the can. Remember to "Open other end".

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

i like to eat asparagus any ol' way, that's one of my very fave veggies! :) creamed is reeeaallllyyyy yummy too... mmmmmmmmmm.

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 1 month ago

The real OTS question....

Does asparagus make your pee smell funny?

GSWtotheheart 8 years, 1 month ago

smothered in wine...(me, not the asparagus)

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm with TOB on this one. I love the hollindaise!! I'd still eat it without it though 'cuz I likes the asapragus. Informed is right on with the quiche also. I make a Quiche Benedict with hollindaise and asapragus that rocks.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Wrapped in prosciutto, drizzled with olive oil (unless Popeye is in the room), then baked 10 minutes. Take out and sprinkle with feta cheese and bake 5 minutes more. YUM YUM!

And yes, it does make your pee smell like ensilage.

Bradley Kemp 8 years, 1 month ago

I thought they were asking whether one used fingers or a fork.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

ohhhh dear crazyks...not so much a matter of affording-if ya know where to look for wild! ;) easy to spot&bring home!

gootsie i GOTTA try your oven method-and i'll forever chuckle about the "olive oil" comment every time i eat asparagus! ;)

drewdun 8 years, 1 month ago

Slathered in butter, covered with salt and pepper, and wrapped in foil, cooking next to my steak on the grill. Delicious.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

R-I: Only for the literati of the asparagus world. The common folk usually say biggun'

saraheckman 8 years, 1 month ago

is it weird that i like it dipped in yellow mustard? that was how i was taught to eat it by my mom.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't. The taste doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer chocolate chip cookies.

Jace 8 years, 1 month ago

Like Jonas said.....with a cheese sauce....

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

I like mine with lettuce and tomatoes, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes . . no wait, that's my cheeseburgers . .

Asparagus? Drizzled with EVOO, grilled, topped off with a wee bit of kosher salt . . . yum!

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

I had an asparagus patch in my garden for 12 years. That is about as long as you can harvest it from a patch. My favourite way to eat it is with just butter and lemon juice or a lemon dill sauce. And it must not be wilted. Have you heard the story of asparagus and Babe Ruth. The babe was invited to a high society dinner where asparagus was served. When it came to him, he passed it on. When asked if he did not like it he said yes, he liked it but did not like the smell of his urine after eating it. The dinner guests and the hostess were rather shocked. This is a true story.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

thanks TOB. We know what that is, don't we! And I didn't have to look up how to spell it!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

T, you won't be sorry. They are scrumpdillyicious!

bevy 8 years, 1 month ago

How do I eat asparagus? Any way I can! My fiance' hates the stuff and refuses to try it again since he tried some canned as a kid. He's anti-veggie anyway.

I agree it's awesome with steak.

Gootsie - nice use of a word we don't hear often anymore. Wonder how many folks here know what it means? Never noticed the unusual odor problem - but maybe I just haven't eaten enough of it.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

I've never much cared for asparagus anyway.

But I love liver, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and brussel's sprouts. Go figure.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

crazy i can hang with ya on the brussel sprouts-mm-and the other veggies listed, but ya lose me on the liver, blech. :)

prioress 8 years, 1 month ago

Does asparagus make your pee smell funny?

In many people, yes.

"All agree it is likely some sulphur-containing compound, one likely contender being asparagusic acid..."

daddax98 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree with the babe. Love way it tastes but the smell of my urine afterwards makes me want to vomit

Jace 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Thank you for sharing that with the rest of us, dad!

Seriously!

But, you know, having said that.......thank you even more for not having shared with the rest of us what your other bodily fluids smell like after you've eaten asparagus!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow, Prioress. Someone really spent a lot of time researching it! Thanks for sharing!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Steamed crisp w/ just a bit o' salt. Throw in a baked potato and a steak and you have a perfect meal. I think strawberry shortcake would be the dessert to finish this meal off nicely.

I know what ensilage is. Lost an uncle to an ensilage cutter...but that was a long time ago, it is a glorious day, and we are talking food. (perfect set-up for H_L) :$

The pee issue...not worth boycotting asparagus. And since when has pee ever smelled good???

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Andini: Of course, by the time that it happens that the last thing on earth is asparagus, I doubt there will be much left to live for anyway.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

crazyks, Set 'em up Jacks has 1/2 price basket 'o livers M-F from 4-6. I can get my youngest to snarf them w/ me but the rest prefer those nasty 'ol chewy tough gizzards. Dunked in enough gravy, I guess even those are edible.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

I've come to the conclusion that all y'all spend waaaaayyyy too much time smelling your pee :P

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, Huh, huh! :)

I have 2 fat spears of asparagus coming up in my garden. Now I need to go check my wild patches and see if Trinity has gotten to them yet.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

sue - I was thinking the same thing about H_L... wondering if he eats his asparagus with fava beans and a nice chianti

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Ohjay, since H_L hasn't come out to play today, I'm going to guess that he would add: "With a good friend."

cowgomoo 8 years, 1 month ago

I read somewhere that there was a posh supper club in London that had a sign posted, "Gentlemen will please refrain from urinating outside during asparagus season."

I like them steamed soft.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 1 month ago

I have to second the fact that asparagus is one of the world's best veggies. Stick it in a can and it tastes like a** and has the consistency of a really thick loogie.

Grilled in foil with olive oil, salt and pepper. Or raw/slightly blanched, with cream cheese and prosciutto wrapped around it.

Jace 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow, Marion!

Some serious sexual innuendos in that post of yours!!

H_Lecter 8 years, 1 month ago

Sue, I couldn't have said it better.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

NOT! asparagus to me is in the same food group as brussel sprouts=yuk.

so, Pywacket, let's unite and not be ashamed! ASPARAGUS HATERS UNITE! I'M OKAY, YOU'RE OKAY!

Andini, I too would have trouble if it were the last stuff to eat on earth. cannibalism would seem attractive.

Mrs. Gnome loves to get the pendleton's purple asparagus, can eat raw, no ends to cut off. she swears by them; I just swear at 'em.

used to be you could go out there and pick it yourself. they probably do that again this year.

you all did good today. ensilage, shortcake, steak, pee-odors.

cowgomoo 8 years, 1 month ago

Posted by Pywacket (anonymous) on April 18, 2007 at 9:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Cowgomoo~ The asparagus or the gentlemen?

Ha! You know, about a half second after I clicked "post comment" I realized what I was leaving open there......the asparagus.