Previous   Next

What is the farthest you have ever run?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“Sixteen miles. It was in preparation for the 1,500 in the 2004 Athens Olympics.”

“Thirteen miles, also for training. I used to run track and cross country for KU.”

“Probably not even a mile, as sad as that is. I’m not a runner. I was home-schooled, so I never did the whole gym class thing. Anytime I’ve tried to go running I haven’t been a fan. Too much work.”

“Thirteen miles for a half marathon, but that was a long, long time ago. It was really tiring, but fun. It would be nice to be in that kind of shape again.”

Comments

Multidisciplinary 7 years ago

I used to run from the O zone parking lot (by the stadium) up all the stairs (often double stairs) all the way to the Union bookstore daily in the late 70's and think nothing of it.

Ah, the things we take for granted in our youth.

Bless the V Tech families for this senselessness. They are now changed forever.

prospector 7 years ago

R_I, That is much more noticable when I return from the brewery.

sourpuss 7 years ago

Central Jr. High "Fun Run" which I think was 6.1 miles or somesuch. Never could figure out what was "fun" about running over six miles. I made sure I was sick the next two years, though I did get a medal for placing in the top three of my grade and gender, so I guess I was a pretty good runner, but sweet chocolate jesus, unless a bear is after me, I'd rather walk.

Jace 7 years ago

Man!, the number just keeps going up and up!

Holy cow!!

lunacydetector 7 years ago

...there were at leat 32 people killed at virginia tech.

lunacydetector 7 years ago

starting around the 15th and kasold intersection, i used to run south on kasold to clinton parkway then to clinton lake and back while clinton parkway was under construction. I think it was a few miles, at least, and i did it daily. it was 8.32 miles a day, to be exact.

Jace 7 years ago

Thanks, Py!

Yeah, I know....you'd think it would be plastered all over the front page by now (1:44pm), wouldn't ya??!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

prospector, Do you actually always end up where you started? If you factor in the "Arrow of time" you can only approximate a probability of where you will end up.

Pywacket 7 years ago

Jace~ They posted something at 12:20, but it's buried (you'd think it would become headline news) and easy to miss, as it's housed in a "what KU is doing" perspective.

The radio just said that the death toll is up to 29, although I don't see that confirmed on CNN or MSNBC websites yet.

Horrible, regardless. What is WRONG with people?

Jace 7 years ago

Wow! 22 dead in a Virginia shooting rampage (including gunman).....and no mention of it (yet) by the esteemed/award-winning LJ World??!!

born_to_run 7 years ago

I've completed several 1/2 and full marathons (26.2 miles), one of them was the Pike's Peak marathon. It was tough but I completed it. And the feeling of accomplishment at the end, made all of the hard work worth it!

Gootsie 7 years ago

My mouth has been know to run for hours.

Damn, Bea! good 'un!

ms_canada 7 years ago

Cricky - I even hate walking. But I am sure at some point in my life I did run. Just can't remember how far. what's this about Virginia Tech? Better turn on CNN

prospector 7 years ago

I always seem to end up where I start, so the answer would be the point where I turned around.

Ceallach 7 years ago

Reports from Virginia Tech just keep getting worse! What a tragedy!!! They are not yet sure if one gunman or two are responsible. My heart goes out to all involved.

faceit 7 years ago

I had the runs all night once

sissezz 7 years ago

cross country, track in high scool, now the occasional treadmill.......

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Charlie Gruber was also KU's 2004 Homecoming grand marshal.
I wonder why he only mentioned the 2004 Athens Olympics?

Pink_Sock 7 years ago

What would a half back in soccer run in a game..give or take 2-3 substitution breaks? Me in my youth...

Azure_Attitude 7 years ago

Yeah, Sue, I thught that myself at the time. I decided that if she drank in the future I would not be present to be potentailly victimized.

Don't think it would be fun today to be celebrating the Patriots Day holiday in Boston by running the marathon. they are fighting some really bad rain and running against the wind.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

I used to run 1/2 marathons back in the day. 17 miles was the farthest training run. I don't do that nonsense anymore.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

I try to avoid running. Like dancing, it just doesn't turn out well.

However, my three brothers and one brother-in-law all ran a marathon, and I was at the marathon. So through them, I ran 104.8 miles.

Jace 7 years ago

As a kid, I was always running......to catch the school bus (I was an habitual late riser).

Ceallach 7 years ago

Nine miles, many moons ago, preparing for a "Hope Walk/Run" fundraiser that took place from Lawrence out to Clinton Lake and back. Although at many points the term "run" may have been more in my mind than in the eye of any beholder :)

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

Wow, Bea, that deserves a golf clap.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

As a rule, I don't run. We were forced to run the mile everyday in middle school. I did run a mile race trying out for track in HS and came in second. (Of course, I wanted to puke afterwards!) I opted for shot-put and discus...no running! I'd gladly walk or bike. No running unless I have to.

A_A, wow! "with friends like that..."

Pywacket 7 years ago

I ran the hose all night a few times. Does that count (for anything besides a high water bill)?

Azure_Attitude 7 years ago

Damn, Bea!!! (That was good, though)

Back when I was in freshman in high school, my best friend got in to the liquer cabinet, drank too much, went psycho, and why I don't know to this day but she chase me down the block with a knife. I don't know how far I ran but I ran f'in FAST.

i_tching 7 years ago

Marathons. 6 Bostons.

beatrice 7 years ago

Out the bedroom window, huh? I guess Haggert's wife came home early.

Andini 7 years ago

From the couch in front of the tv all the way to the fridge in the kitchen for a cold one. It was during a 30 second timeout of a KU game.

acg 7 years ago

I had to run from cops once for like two miles. It sucked. They gave up and let us go, but I suspect had they really wanted to catch us, we would've been caught. We were just kids trespassing on some farmer's property, it wasn't like I was running with a t.v. under each arm or something, just fyi. :)

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Out the bedroom window carrying my shoes and two blocks down the street to my car.

Thanks.

Marion.

inmate 7 years ago

Once Hannibal was after me and I ran all night

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

I generally will stand my ground.

jonas 7 years ago

Well, in highschool I ran all the way home from the mall, which included over a 10-15 foot cliff, through a few creeks, and over a couple steep inclines. All in all it was about 2 and a half miles and I sprinted the entire thing.

(The cops were after me, and they didn't catch me either)

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

Only ever as far as I had to. In junior high, that meant 1 mile. Now? Eh, why run when you can walk?

Gootsie 7 years ago

10 miles on a treadmill. Does that count?