Previous   Next

Are you superstitious about Friday the 13th?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 13, 2007

Browse the archives

“Not really, because nothing bad has ever happened to me on Friday the 13th, so there’s no reason for me to start worrying now.”

“I don’t believe in it. Sometimes people have good luck, sometimes bad luck. But it’s not a bad day for people to be a little more cautious.”

“I am very superstitious, but I believe Friday the 13th is a lucky day for me because tomorrow is my birthday. I was actually born on Friday, April 13, 1984. All the power in the hospital went out during a thunderstorm, and I was born at 11:11 p.m.”

“No. I might think about it for a second, but it doesn’t stick in my head or affect my day.”

Comments

milkman_dan 7 years ago

Thank You Lord. Friday the 13th is certainly a very lucky day for me. Today, they found a donor for my transplant. I cannot begin to explain the level of my gratitude.

Suggest_removal 7 years ago

I fell very lucky. I woke up in a bathtub of ice with a note on the phone placed next to me that read, "call 911". I hope someone makes good use of my kidney.

Newell_Post 7 years ago

Valkyrie:

Modern DeMolays honor some of the things about the Templars, but don't have any hang-ups about the date, to my knowledge. However, it looks like the 700-year anniversay of the Templars' demise is coming up this year. Never noticed that before...

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

Posted by Newell_Post (anonymous) on April 13, 2007 at 7:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It was unlucky for the Knights Templar. King Philip IV busted them up on Friday, October 13, 1307. Lots of bad mojo in that date, if you're superstitious.

And modern Demolays carry on that tradition?

Or was it really because Jesus was crucified on Friday and there were thirteen at the last supper? Hmmm, or maybe it had its origins in Norse Mythology, one of my favorites.

In all reality, it is a modern invention I would dare to guess.

budwhysir 7 years ago

Friday the 13th always comes prior to the 31st therefor I do not fear this day. Anyhow, I am no more worried about this day than any other.

Newell_Post 7 years ago

Pywacket 7 years ago

Bone~ I'm getting a visual of your wife as Miss Crabtree, the South Park school bus driver... (I can just hear that grating voice...)

Are battered husbands served up with tartar sauce and a side of hushpuppies?

Bone777 7 years ago

RI - A little like Jimmy, my teeth just aren't as big.

S.S. and Pywacket - I made mention to my wife about "the new rules" and she smacked me upside the head.

I will be heading the the battered husband shelter, if this keeps up.

rocketmom67 7 years ago

I love Jethro Tull! My 13 year old has discoverd Aqua Lung and loves it! This is my lucky day!

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Yep, the April temps are still cold enough he can push, Drill'n Again: Winter Tour 2007 into April without him thawing out too much.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

The dead guy who invented the seed drill is coming to KC...?

Cool

Harry_Manback 7 years ago

Both my parents were born on Friday the 13th exactly six months apart, so I think of it as a lucky day!

BorderRat 7 years ago

Meatwad, Why are you worried about an old instrumental rock band?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

T_O_B, Not a big Stoner fan, unless we are talking about Eugene...

Meatwad 7 years ago

Friday the 13th doesn't bother me. But the Ides of March, now that's something I worry about.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

Did you know it is illegal to sell beer in Quenemo Ks (near Pomana) on Friday 13? They used to have cheap draws, and bikers used to go there. It was becoming another Sturgis, but then some jealous guy killed his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend, and they made this really weird law.
Anyway one time after the bar closed I was in a motorcycle accident, but technically it was the 14th by then.

Pywacket 7 years ago

BorderRat~ Those celeb plastic surgeons are doing remarkable things with chemical peels, aren't they?

Bone~ You just tell that wife of yours that if you can't look at the ladies, she can't look at the menfolk.

"Look but don't touch" works just fine for me & my hubber.

BorderRat 7 years ago

Ian sure looks different from his flute playing days with "Jethro Tull."

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Ms. C. - Well, it was intended to mean that I'll treat the 13th no different than any other Friday and the 20th is the next Friday. And then I realized from my college days that 4/20 is recognized as the International Day of Getting Stoned. That was not intended. Although, it looks like R-I is eagerly anticipating.

Snap -"(sitting in a circle of lodestones and chanting "rama lama ding dong" over & over)"

I had no idea you were afraid of Klondike Bar wielding cane toads. So is my wife! Small world.

Pywacket 7 years ago

If you see boobies (other than your own) on Friday the 13th, you must pass 3 times beneath an open ladder, open a wooden-handled umbrella in the house, and feed a mackerel to a black cat, while chanting, "Now wakes the owl; now sleeps the swan; behold a dream; the dream is gone." Then, at midnight, bury an old worn-out bra under the biggest oak tree in the cemetery and cross your heart 3 times. You'll then be safe from bad luck... at least, until the next Friday the 13th.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

acg, we just endured a time of unpleasant weather here, and this is really the first day out of it. It's still not actually warm, but it's not actually freezing anymore.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

ms_c,

"And TOB what is so special about Friday Apr. 20?"

Its a Bakers "special day".

Those who honor it mow the grass, and have a clam bake.

acg 7 years ago

"Nope. I'm just looking out the window at clear blue skies..." sgt

: |~

It's been raining here for so long, I almost feel like we should start gathering the animals two by two.

I didn't even realize April 20 was on a Friday this year. Woohoo! Party time! Who am I kidding? I'm old. LOL.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

(sitting in a circle of lodestones and chanting "rama lama ding dong" over & over) No, I'm not superstitious.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Nope. I'm just looking out the window at clear blue skies and hoping the temperature keeps rising little by little so the scheduled high school baseball game isn't postponed or canceled. I've been looking forward to the start of the season.

ms_canada 7 years ago

acg - they may be seriously messed up but certainly not boring, or would you prefer boring. I wish something would spice my existence up a bit. Maybe something interesting will happen this Friday 13. I have no superstitions about anything at all. And TOB what is so special about Friday Apr. 20?

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Friday the 13th doesn't bother me. However, being a person whose birthday is on the 14th of another month, I am always more cautious on the Friday before my birthday.

asauder 7 years ago

I'm more of a believer in Friday, the April 20th.

Me too :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

sue,

Dang, this is so weird...

That's the same thing I say about your family...

acg 7 years ago

Hehee, Bea, you kill me! Actually, grandpa didn't much mind. He had already ran off to Thailand to marry a 15 year old hooker and I swear I'm not making that up. That's when his wife, my mother-in-law, decided she was gay. My poor, dear husband's family is seriously messed up.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

RI, I love to hear about your family life. Makes mine seem so normal. :D

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Bone, the wife should let you look. How will she believe you when you tell her that she is more beautiful if you don't look?

Bea, had I been drinking anything at the time I read your post, I'm sure it would have shot out of my nose.

I didn't realize it was friday the 13th until I read it here. Nope, doesn't faze me. I'll go ahead and mail my taxes today. crosses fingers

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

bone,

Are you the "Jimmy Carter" of the BIG OTS?

"I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. God knows I will do this and forgives me. "

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

acq, I feel ya sister...

Last night as the slew of devil spawn bounded into the family unit dwelling, hormone induced #1 announced...

"Your spousal unit 'Did it' with other guys before you were forced lured and trapped into matrimony."

yourworstnightmare 7 years ago

Isn't Friday, April 13th the day that Jesus, after ascending to heaven, came back to the new world and confabbed with the Indians?

Or is it just a ridiculous superstition?

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

Damn those Christians for starting this whole thing.

Bone777 7 years ago

Boobies have hurt me plenty of times.

If my wife catches me glancing at anyone's, besides hers, I am put in instant pain.

beatrice 7 years ago

"Boobies never hurt anybody!" -- somebody obviously has never seen Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex ... but were afraid to ask."

No, I'm not superstitious about Friday the 13th. Being superstitious just brings bad luck.

acg -- tough conversation with the kid about grandma. Even worse, I'm wondering what grampa had to say when you told him.

bobberboy 7 years ago

Absolutly not. I am very superstitious about black cats though.

acg 7 years ago

It's not that I think boobies are bad for him Jonas. We really try to not act like naked is bad around the kids because we don't want them to be raised with the typical American body hang ups, I'm just not ready for the "what's that guy doing to that girl?" conversation. It's only because I have enough going on right now. Kids are exhausting, as it is. I just had to have the "grandma is a lesbian and there's nothing wrong with it" conversation with him and that was hard enough.

jonas 7 years ago

Cmon acg, you're talking about a slasher flick and you're worrying about boobies? Boobies never hurt anybody!

. . . . though I suppose they might be one cause for people to hurt themselves. . . .

75x55 7 years ago

Yes, I'm afraid another stupid movie will come out with some stupid story line relating to some stupid superstition.

Friday the 13th: Jason vs. Global Warming.....

Friday the 13th: Jason vs. Al Sharpton.....

Friday the 13th: Jason vs. the DMV.....

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

"My wife was born on the 13th so that date always makes me a little apprehensive." Blue

Hot damn! We have a winner.

I'm more of a believer in Friday, the April 20th.

acg 7 years ago

Nah. Friday the 13th has a long standing tradition in my house. We almost celebrate it, like Halloween, because of all of the superstition that surrounds it. We rent bad B horror movies and stay up late, eating popcorn and drinking root beer floats. My folks did it with me and now I do it with my kids. It's kind of fun. I wonder what we should rent tonight? I would love for my oldest to start watching the Friday the 13th movies, but he's still a bit young and there are too many boobie shots in those. I need bad B horror sans too much sex.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

oh funny you to, nice having a laugh in the morning thanks. No not really just another day at my house.

loudmouthrealist 7 years ago

How could a Friday (end of work week) ever be bad??

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Blue, Evil spirits cannot harm you if you are standing in a circle, carrying a broom, not rocking an empty rocking chair and wearing 7 cloves of garlic on a flaxen necklace. You can break this bad luck spell by turning seven times in a clockwise circle, not Smelling dandelions, because you will wet the bed, and don't smoke crack because you will break Marion Barry's mother's back.

Damn those redheads...

blue73harley 7 years ago

Crossfire 7 years ago

I'm gonna put on my runnin' shoes, Cause bad luck is on my trail. Gonna grab that black cat, swing him by the tail. ...ewee, I scared.

Appologies to all the old blues singers.

jonas 7 years ago

Man, I'm running out of answers for this question. OTS needs to stop asking it.