Previous   Next

What do you think about Julian Wright leaving the KU basketball team?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 10, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think it’s really disappointing. It gave me hope for next season when he was the first to say he would stay. It’s really sad, but all the luck to him. I’m sure he’ll do well in the NBA.”

“I don’t know what to say. I think he was our best overall player. He said that he would graduate in three years and that money wasn’t really an issue, so I didn’t think he would go.”

“It’s very sad, and I’m heartbroken. I don’t think it’s time. We were so close this year and I think one more year with him is all we needed. I understand and empathize - begrudgingly. I just hope it doesn’t create a domino effect with the rest of the players.”

“I’m disappointed in the fact that he said he would come back, but of course I understand why he’s taking the opportunity to make millions of dollars. I thought we would have a great shot next season. I still think we have a good shot, but not if Rush leaves too.”

Comments

kudubb 7 years ago

Hey abby... I do believe Rush will follow JW out the door of the Phog... I think he has much more offensive potential than JW for the NBA... plus, he has proven he is a great defender.

kudubb 7 years ago

Hey phogku... your point is great... JW will sit the bench for a while in the NBA, depending on which team he goes to. But as for Wayne being better, I'm not sure I agree totally (and Wayne and I graduated from the same high school). Wayne is a better post player, but JW is much more athletic. Two different styles here.

kudubb 7 years ago

True KU fans are upset by JW leaving... I believe someone was filling his head full of #$%@ because he can definitely benefit from another year in college. The real problem is that the NBA sucks and needs players lik JW to make it better. More kids than ever are going pro straight out of high school... there is no doubt that the NBA is not the product it once was. They need to eliminate a few teams and try to revive the rivalries.

It used to be about team and now it is all about $$$.

I think JW is a great kid, but I really wish he would have stayed. Without him, we don't have a good shot at a title (as much as I want to believe we will and will root my @$% off for them), even with the new recruits and great returning players... and I don't think Rush will come back either. Which makes it even less likely that KU will make it to the elite 8 next year, much less win the Big 12.

Its no wonder there is a college coaching carousel... there is no stability with the way players bolt after the $$$.

Go KU!!!

myjaan2007 7 years ago

What team do you all think Julian Wright should be chosen for?

I would like to see him playing in Celtics.

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

Not that anybody reads responses this late, but it is only logical that a capitalist swine would point to the infiltrations of greed in to college sports to support their rationalizations. I fear that the desert heat has made our dear Bea delusional. The fact remains that you can buy seats and you can break the rules to buy players, but you cannot buy the Antlers, the Cameron Crazies, the Sea of Red, or the Rock Chalk chant. Pro traditions (Terrible Towels, Dog Pound) pale in comparison.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Bea, I lose interest in regular seasons, but I enjoy the playoffs for the pro sports. I'm really looking forward to the start of the NHL playoffs this week, and the NBA playoffs are right around the corner. I'm looking forward to that. And if things go right up here, maybe the Pistons will meet the Suns. Though I'm not sure I actually want that, since the Suns pile up points faster than an electric pencil sharpener.

I will say, though, that when it comes to football, I like the regular season. I like the NFL regular season, and I love the college regular season.

phogku 7 years ago

I wish Wright would have truthful for leaving. In the paper he said that money was not a motive. If it was not, then why leave to sit on the bench for a few years. Wayne S. has played very little the past couple of years and he is a better ballplayer than Wright.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

I'm sorta with sgt.

With highschool sports you get to see the whole picture.

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Bea is a tough one.

Today I saw her human side... Tears almost welled up.

beatrice 7 years ago

sgt -- the Onion is too good sometimes. I'll agree that the season is a tad too long, but I still love it! Go Suns!

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Go Brandon Wheat Kings!

Pywacket 7 years ago

R_I~I know.. That's what I meant by their repressed desire.

I humbly reassert that they are not asexual by choice (but rather by grower manipulation). Poor things. They simply exude thwarted desire.

T_O_B... You're right that Bea can handle herself with these bullyboys. I just thought it was a good time for a 50s riff.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Py, Actually the pineapples you buy are not cross-pollinated.
No bees or hummingbirds. You really would not like some seedy pineapple on your table. Those facts prove the pineapple as a symbol of asexuality.

There are many more passionate and succulent fruits in the garden than the pineapple.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

TOB, you made me think of an Onion article from a while back. Something about an NBA Finals game having to be postponed because of a conflict with an NBA preseason game.

Although I'd be more inclined to say that about Major League Baseball. Seriously -- 162 is at least 100 too many. And 82 is too many for basketball, and for hockey (I think the NHL is 82 or 84 games).

This is one reason I like high school sports: the seasons are reasonable. Twenty games for basketball, nine for football, just under thirty for hockey (can't remember exactly). Baseball is under or around thirty, too, I think. And you do have to throw in playoffs, but even if you win a championship in basketball, you're still under thirty, and you'd be around 14 games with a football championship.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Oh. Wow. I'd say I'm prophetic, but that was too easy.

I agree with Sarge and Das for the most part... but, damn, you walked right into that one.

82 games. 2 months of playoffs. I just can't keep interest up long enough for the NBA season. And by June, heck, I'm already bored of baseball so it is hard to keep attention for the NBA Finals.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Py - Bea is super tough. I sense a Damn, Bea! moment coming on.

beatrice 7 years ago

Das-U, "traditions and culture" you say. Do you mean the type of "culture" where must give a "gift" of $10k or more to keep your long-held season tickets? Nice way to treat the tradition of regular attendance. Sure, tell me about who is soulless and who isn't. Go ahead and support that type of tradition if you wish. At least by attending pro games nobody is fooling anybody about who is and who isn't capitalist swine. Oh, while enjoying your tradition don't forget to buy your ticket for the infant, culture boy.

(not that Das would, but before anybody freaks out, yes, I am just poking fun -- please don't take what I say too seriously. I did enjoy attending KU events when I lived in Lawrence ... just not as much as I enjoy pro events.)

Pywacket 7 years ago

Hey! Aren't you guys being a little hard on the Bea?

Perkins~ You are absolutely right! What was I thinking?

R_I~ But... but... pineapples must be cross-pollinated to produce seed. They don't WANT to be asexual. They're just shy and don't get out enough.

I would think that all that repressed desire would have quite an effect on any creature living in close proximity to the fruit--not to mention any creature who ingested its pineapply goodness. Especially if a little melted chocolate happened to be drizzled seductively over a fresh, pungent spear.

Sue~ I love Orange Julii! Especially the homemade ones, because they don't have to be as sweet. Pineapple (it's everywhere), strawberry... it's all good.

abbynormal 7 years ago

anyone else think rush is going to follow?

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Tomorrow's ?: What is your favorite kind of smoothie?

Ms_C, I was in Wichita over the weekend and saw an Orange Julius! Wow! They actually have flavors other than orange now! Who knew??? On that note, I'm off to make a strawberry-banana-blueberry with a plop of peanut butter for the kiddies! I always make just a bit too much and have to finish it myself.

Alternate?: Who has resorted to eating supper at 4pm because the kids are famished after school because of the crappy lunches?

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

Bea,

That's okay, I can understand how a heartless, capitalist swine like you can prefer all of the talent money can buy to the traditions and culture that the rest of us prefer. It only makes sense that after living in the uncaring and soulless desert, your understanding of the true joys in life would be a bit warped. That's why we will always be here for you.

slappedyomomma 7 years ago

Gingers are a plague on the earth. hehehe.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Bea, I'd venture a guess that you're in a minority. For me, and maybe for a lot of fans, sports aren't much fun or overwhelmingly interesting without emotion. I love sports, but I find it hard to actually love the sports without everything around the games. In my mind, none of it is as good unless it's all together. I like Michigan football, but without the stadium atmosphere and the band and the fight songs and the tailgaters, it's not the same.

So I do appreciate your outlook, and in some ways I think there should be more appreciation of the skills; I just can't focus that closely without losing some enjoyment of sports.

jonas 7 years ago

sorry, that was for ascot

jonas 7 years ago

Me and my wife call him our Weasley. If we ever go to a game when he's still on the roster, I'm going to make a Matt Kleinman poster that says "Weasley is our King!"

I'm such a geek.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Shuck's Bea, "Otherwise, you might as well say you like pee-wee best, since then you get to watch your own kid play -- and can anything be better than that?"

That is probably the most mawkish, altruistic and indulgent, dispensation of humanity I have ever read in one of your posts.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years ago

What about the KU player with bright red hair? Will he join the NBA too? I hope not. It seems that almost every college basketball team has one player with red hair. We need ours to stay put.

Insider 7 years ago

Ju, you are not ready for the NBA. I will enjoy seeing you get lit up each and every night. You couldn't take your game to the next level at KU. Further, you couldn't consistently dominate front lines due to your small size and lack of post moves. Moreover, you can't dribble the ball and don't have an outside game. Enjoy the millions.

P.S: Ku will never win another national title because we recruit finesse players who are not tough. Plus Bill Self is a momentum killer; BILL - DON'T SUB PLAYERS WHEN THEY ARE HOT. FURTHER, SUB PLAYERS WHEN THEY ARE NOT.

buffalo_star 7 years ago

i think it takes a big dog to weight a ton

beatrice 7 years ago

Das, you said it for me -- "Though the game might not be played as well ..." I obviously watch it for the skill of the sport, not for the mascot, or which songs you get up and clap with, or which stadium has the best tailgate party, or any of the other things surrounding the game. All those things are fine and dandy, but when you cut through it all, I like the game. So give me the players that can play it best, and that will be the game I enjoy the most. Otherwise, you might as well say you like pee-wee best, since then you get to watch your own kid play -- and can anything be better than that?

Ceallach 7 years ago

Dats right Das. I prefer college ball but can still enjoy an NBA game.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Py, Libidinous effects of pineapple? SpongeBob should be named SpongePat, not Bob, Bobette, or Bea. Asexual. Definately a self-love fruit.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Wow! Someone needs some strawberry shortcake. Easter Easter Easter!!! Freedom of speech! Easter!

College Basketball is superior to the NBA. I can't sit through an NBA game anymore.

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

Bea,

I don't think that anybody argues that the talent level in the NBA is greater than that which you find in college, just that they like the game better. Though the game might not be played as well, you tend to find more different styles of coaching, a greater regional identification, and many more fan traditions associated with the college game. The same can be said when comparing college football to the NFL. Pro sports have their advantages and disadvantages and whether you prefer them to collegiate sports has a lot more to do with what you watch the game for.

Ceallach 7 years ago

myjaan, myjaan, myjaan, the question of the day is often treated as a "suggested topic" by OTS posters. What a boring, boring board if we discussed nothing other than the question of the day. You are right, God is good, and he made strawberries and all the goodies necessary for shortcake. We will be discussing desserts long after Wright is gone. We had one great day discussing our favorite ice cream or blizzard.

blue73harley 7 years ago

"Freedom of speech needs to set it's boundaries!! Good God!!!!!!!!!"

I think the Easter Bunny must have left someone off the list.

myjaan2007 7 years ago

Why are you all talking about Easter anyway? Did anyone ask you about that? Freedom of speech needs to set it's boundaries!! Good God!!!!!!!!!

***Julian Wright is not only an asset to Basketball, but also is one of the best players of NCAA. I agree with him about the money issue. I do not think it is about the money. If I were Julian, I would have done the same thing he is doing.

One shot! One opportuniy! It may not come again. God is smiling on you brother......leave as soon as you can......KU needs a lesson to learn. Next year it is going to be 20 years since 1988 we won the title.

Julian, I pray that you shine in your career. Show KU what you are made of. Go Julian..............

Silence_Dogood 7 years ago

What? Who? Who cares?

The mass of Americans are "distracted from distraction by distraction / Full of fancy and empty of meaning."

prospector 7 years ago

I'll miss his knee socks.

beatrice 7 years ago

couranna1, of course I know what basketball is. I live in the town that has the two-time reigning NBA MVP (Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns, in case you weren't aware), and have been attending NBA games for many, many years. Yes, I even attended Kansas City Kings games. I was actually making a joke that if Wright was that great he would have gone right into the NBA. Many great college players don't make great pro players (Ralph Sampson and Danny Ferry never lived up to the hype, for instance), while others who faired just okay in college end up being superstars (Steve Nash, for instance).

Now, does anyone want to argue that the college game is somehow "better" than the NBA? If so, then why is a great college player like Wayne Simien riding the bench in Miami?

thanksforcoming 7 years ago

Congrats Julian. Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk.

Ceallach 7 years ago

ms_c, please check your email :)

always4ever 7 years ago

Easter is all about lemon for us. We had lemon meringue pie and lemon bars. Yum.

Julian, lots of luck. It's been a great ride.

Ceallach 7 years ago

An example of that is how to spell need!

Ceallach 7 years ago

My sister-in-law made strawberry shortcake for our Easter get together!!! Guess it has become a trend. Homemade shortbread, yum!! Unfortunately, with the bunch we had gathered there were no leftovers :(

TOB, I'm not sure what his status was, just remembered the name. I ran out of new memory room a long time ago, now everything I neeed to remember must take the place of something I used to know :):)

ms_canada 7 years ago

Sue - jeesh - how come I didn't think of that. Great idea. Thanks.

perkins 7 years ago

Emily Rush, pictured above, simply reflects the thinking the big college sports industry encourages, Pywacket. Get invested in the players, who are Just Folks, playing spades before the big game. Go to Allen Fieldhouse or most any other big college arena and be blinded by the corporate images. Remember our big season ticket controversy? Your seats are bad b/c you are not a big enough contributor? Sorry. But please donate to the university, Joe Lunchpail, and buy a few T-shirts while you're at it.

The dessert bloggers had the right idea. Focus on something pleasant that we can control, rather than the muck underneath the student-athlete wink and nod truthspeak.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Ms_C, I guess you convince the grandson to take the Tallahassee offer, you move to Florida and worry about other weather woes. :) Have a safe drive!

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Das, to me, that just means the sports world has been spared an overhyped, underperforming player. I think the NBA is better off for not having thrown huge money at a player like Noah.

Yes, from the player's perspective, grabbing the money while it's on the table is probably good. But the question is what do I think, not what was Wright thinking. And going beyond Wright, for everyone except the player and his agent (strictly financially speaking), it's too often a lousy deal. Big money ... high expectations ... middling results. Wright has too good a chance of being a small role player (or less) when he might have contributed to something pretty big at Kansas. And maybe if he stayed another year or two, he'd develop his skills and himself a bit more to give himself a better chance at being someone significant in the NBA.

TOB, the name Chauncey Billups is music to my ears these days. He's been a great part of a great time in Pistons history these last few years.

ms_canada 7 years ago

Key Lime Pie. speaking of sports guys. Grandson Rob is playing tonight & tomorrow in Calgary. Semi final round in WHL playoffs. If they win tonite & tomorrow, that will be it for him in the WHL. cut off age is 20. He has been approached by 3 Unis and the Tallahassee, Florida team. Big decisions to make. The catch is, if he takes one of the Uni bids, he gets 4 years of full tuition and books paid by WHL, if he goes for Tallahassee, he loses all that tuition. Tough decision. What would you do? He can still play hockey at the Uni. Calgary would be nice. :o) BTW we leave in an hour to motor down there to catch those games. (4 hrs) And we have a snow storm. Yuk. Why am I living this far north?

Pywacket 7 years ago

I usually make pineapple upside-down cake for Easter, but an important family member (who happens to adore that dessert) spent the holiday with our northern relatives, so I decided to go with all the fresh strawberries and save the pineapple for next weekend, when she will be here.

What are the fertility implications of pineapple, I wonder? I don't see any tiny rugsponges following Spongebob around, so maybe that fruit is more moderate in its libidinal influence.

A chance at the NBA could fizzle out for reasons other than injuries. Point is, an early departure from school could be the only chance/offer young standouts have to go pro; whereas, they can always go back and finish their degree later--it's not dependent on their age, the integrity of their knees, or their achievement of playing potential.

Unlike the rest of us who would like to go back for an advanced degree (or in some cases, undergrad), they'll have the money to do so without having to juggle studying with work--as long as they don't p*** it away.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

ganache topped cheesecake!

JW...I don't think too much about it. I wish him luck and a long career. If not, then I hope he finishes college at some point.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Das - Yes, I understand that argument. Same with Noah. He'd of been #1 last year. And that's a reasonable argument.

I just don't buy that kids are leaving because they are afraid they'll get hurt. Bill Walker shredded his knee up this year and no one doubts that he'll get drafted after next season. Medical procedures are so advanced now and these teams are staffed better than a lot of rural hospitals. But, that's why I asked. I just couldn't think of any.

Kenyon Martin and Chauncey Billups had real severe leg injuries in college and were drafted high the next season. I'm sure there are some that weren't but I can't think of them.

Kontum1972 7 years ago

send money....!...alumni loyalty fund U of Ks.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Ceal - Archie Marshall. Good call! Although, wasn't he a senior or not planning to leave early?

slappedyomomma 7 years ago

Talking about the NCAA and coaches making millions and the players wanting theirs is a load of crap.

Man, I really feel sorry for those athletes that get a free education worth tens of thousands of dollars. Not to mention free clothing, food, spending money, groupies, and all the other fringe benefits they get out of it at the major college level.

If someone wants to turn pro early, thats just fine. However, 95% of those that leave early would benefit and develop more if they were to stay another year. Does anyone think that Julian will be a better player than Paul Pierce? I for one, don't, and he left after his junior year. Wright's style of play is better suit to the NBA anyways. I hope he does well at the next level. I do think his excuse is a load of bull though. He still had plenty of room to take his game "to the next level" in college. He wasn't even the best player on his team, let alone in college. Of course it was about the money!!!

Everyone needs to look at the bright side. Maybe this way we will average 4 less turnovers a game next year, and be more consistent.

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

TOB, there are cases where a player's draft prospects have gone down because of an additional year. Glen Davis will probably not draft as high if he goes this year rather than last year due to how much poorer his stats are.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

I would think with the origins of Eostre and the fertility implications of bunnys and eggs, that something like cherry cheesecake would be the favored treat. Or maybe raw oysters....

bevy 7 years ago

Oh, who doesn't love the shortcake? Wish I'd thought of it! We had some fresh strawberries, though, and they were good.

As to JW, I say - go for it! Gather ye rosebuds (or dollars) while ye may! Plenty of time to finish your college education after you're an "ancient" 35 year old retired pro baller.

trinity 7 years ago

TOB, yep strawberry shortcake seems to be evolving in to an Easter standard! in my case it's because strawberries are becoming more available&also cheaper, and i just loves me some sliced strawberries over home made shortcake biskits with a large dollop of whipped cream! :) happy tummy. oh but i must have chocolate also; it's an absolute!

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

I didn't notice; I've been too distracted by Michigan's new basketball coach and his efforts to retain the recruiting class.

My opinion: there are very, very few players who would not benefit greatly by staying longer at the college level. Unfortunately, there are many who believe they are among those few; also unfortunately, there are plenty of players who will see playing time in the NBA, but could have been better pros had they not left early for the NBA.

Basically, I'm not a fan of early departures (freshman/sophomore) unless the player is seriously amazing. Greg Oden, like many others, could probably benefit from another year (maybe two, depending on how he looked his second year) at the college level. I didn't see Wright play much, but it's usually pretty safe to say another year would have been good for him.

couranna1 7 years ago

Good luck Julian He is a very talented player and will do well in the NBA. This is what he went to college for so in a way he is graduating. To turn down that kinda cash is crazy Boos whether those two leave or not we still have a shot This will give Aldrich more time and we are still loaded @ guard and have quality big men We will be fine. Julian would be a fool not to explore it as he will be a lottery pick and next year who knows what could happen he could get hurt or his stock fall by who comes out next year Good luck and thanks for what you did @ KU beatrice do you know what bball is?

beatrice 7 years ago

Big deal. If Wright had been that great, wouldn't he have gone right into the pros originally? I say, best of luck.

Ceallach 7 years ago

TOB, at KU, Archie Marshall for one. After my meetings I will try to remember more names . . . although I do remember they were tall guys :)

Bone777 7 years ago

When the University is making millions and the coaches are making millions, you can't blame a kid for wanting to get his. It cost almost as much to see a pro basketball game, and college doesn't have the large player contracts.

Julian Wright will be pimped no more.

Good luck, but I still think you could have used some development on your skill.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

My wife made strawberry shortcake for easter as well. Is that a typical Easter treat?

trinity 7 years ago

hey pywacket, thanks for reminding me-i've GOT to get after the rest of those strawberries&the shortcake biscuits i made! wouldn't want to have to waste 'em! :)

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Um, can anyone name one player that ever lost the opportunity to play in the NBA because he stayed an extra year in college and got injured? I can't think of one instance.

Not that I'm not happy for Julian, but that excuse is an old wive's tale. Athletes don't even use it as a reason for turning pro anymore. And one_time is right, I bet Julian has been insured for quite some time if the statistically improbable did occur.

Pywacket 7 years ago

Let's hope this is the most "tragic" thing Emily (above) hears about all week. If she is "heartbroken" over this, she would really come unhinged if she read the papers and learned (to pick one from a hat) about the 3 teens who were killed by a train Sunday afternoon when the driver apparently didn't see the train coming (marked crossing but no gate).

Perspective, Emily. Watching a promising young man go to the NBA is anything BUT tragic. I assure you KU won't close down without him. "Sad" I could buy...but "heartbroken"? Puh-leeeeeze....

Good point, Ceal~ if he stayed at KU, he could receive a career-ending injury and have a lifetime of "what if" questions to haunt him. This way, he can go for his dream and (if he so chooses) finish his education after the NBA career runs its course. He'll still be a young man.

Three cheers for Easter--I was able to justify having leftover strawberry shortcake for breakfast. Can't let it go to waste...

one_time 7 years ago

Most of the young athletes agents hook these guys up with 3 or 4 year insurance policies that if they get injured they will collect a couple of million dollars from it. High school kids are starting to get these their junior years as welll.....http://www.fdean.com/professional_athlete_insurance.html

So, blowing a knee out isn't a big deal anymore

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

"Too many talents such as Wright stay in college ball and end up blowing a knee or being injured in another way that ends their possibility of going on to the NBA." Ceallach

Please give me an example. I couldn't think of any.

Good luck, Julian. You is getting paid soon. Watch out for the groupies.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

snap, I thought the Yao Restaurant & Bar was MSG free, and did not serve shark fin soup.

Ceallach 7 years ago

I think therefore I am.

I say best of luck to him. He is a great talent and let's face it if he wants he can always return to his education after the NBA. Too many talents such as Wright stay in college ball and end up blowing a knee or being injured in another way that ends their possibility of going on to the NBA.

Good Luck Wright!!

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

I hope he doesn't eat too much unhealthy Chinese food while he is playing in the NBA.

trinity 7 years ago

i think behind every cloud is a silver lining. or another cloud.

i love ots. :)

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

I think the sun will set tomorrow.

blue73harley 7 years ago

I think that the sun will still come up tomorrow.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

What's health coverage like in the NBA?

jonas 7 years ago

Even if he and Rush leaves, we may not have a chance next year, but will down the road. I wish he had stayed, but oh well.

TheNorthlander 7 years ago

Growing up in Chicago, I watched Julian play ball in Chicago high school tournaments before ever knowing he was going to KU. He was a great player to watch.

Once I knew he was going to be a Jayhawk, he clearly became my favorite player.

Best of luck to ya Julian!

Rock Chalk!