Previous   Next

Do you support Nancy Pelosi’s decision to visit Syria?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on April 5, 2007

Browse the archives

“I support it. There are obviously substantial roadblocks that need to be overcome if the situation in Iraq is ever to come to a conclusion. I think she’s taking an innovative approach, and I commend her.”

“I think it’s time someone took some initiative to reach out to Syria and try to create some solution in Iraq and the Middle East in general. So if that’s what she’s trying to do, then I think it’s fine.”

“I do. I think as a leader she needs to find out everything she can about the situation.”

“I think it’s fantastic; it’s totally needed. Our current administration is in desperate need to be reminded why checks and balances were incorporated in the original plan for our government.”

Comments

KS 7 years, 8 months ago

Nancy Pelosi is NOT the Secretary of State. She is NOT privy to all intelligence of our "paid spies". She is Speaker of the House and also a citizen and maybe has the right to go, but it sends the wrong message and she and others should not have gone. She is undermining the intellegence agencies and troops of the US. If the Dems want to take control of the war, win the White House, for which they may, but until then, stay out of it. There are some bad people out there that want to destroy us and I don't believe she can see the forest for the trees. Playing right into their hands. But, what the heck, I guess it will take another 9/11 to prove me correct. A typical American that wants instant gratification. A sign of the times that is really troubling.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

rightthinker: hahahaha.

Seriously, though. Pelosi shouldn't go to Syria as the Speaker of the House.

SanFran is a great place. Although I can see why you'd be afraid of it, with so much diversity it's bound to make you nervous.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

S'all right. After now I won't have any time to check this until 11 this evening. Bit of a busy day for me.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know Syria was a vacation destination. But hey, if she wants to spend her free time there, I guess that's okay.

I supported my decision to visit Columbus, OH a few weeks ago, and I think for me as a Michigan fan, that was a much more drastic move than this whole Syria thing.

Also, I would always support a visit to Chicago, because Chicago is a great place to visit.

whistlestop75 7 years, 8 months ago

"Why no attacks on the republican law makers who just visited Syria?" -loudmouth

Seems to me that Pelosi took the whole press core with her...IS SHE throwing her hat in the ring for President? If the Dems thought they had a chance winning the moderate Republicans over for '08...she just blew their hopes...someone needs to de-flate her ego!

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

rt-this is for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycholo...

Why are you angry? Get to its real source. You, too, can be a happy person, maybe. Its never too late.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

San Francisco is the only foreign government she should visit!

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

I think Nancy's doing a real good job representing the American people. We should be proud of her.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Actually Lawrence might be another place suitable for a Pelosi visitation. She might learn something at a women's study course at KU.

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

I find it sadly funny how you wingers get riled up over Pelosi's trip to Syria, but have no problem with W. holding hands and kissing a representative of the country from whence 15 of the 19 hijackers originated--scenebooster

set and match!

Centrist 7 years, 8 months ago

R-T ... I think you'll find that Ohlmert echoed that sentiment about wanting to work with Syria. Ya might want to check yer facts.

As usual, Republican fear-mongering ... well done.

Having said that, I don't think ANYONE but our actual government should be 'representing' us overseas.

Not elected members of the house, speakers, senators or anyone else, just those who ARE at the international level. Members of Congress are NOT.

Nancy Pelosi can go visit all she wants, have a cup of tea, whatever. But she has no business pushing anything - she's not employed to do so.

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

Nancy Pelosi looks really hot for a woman her age.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

I think she should declare victory and retire!

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

"At a 33% approval rating in the USA, the approval rating around the rest of the world has to be in the single digits for our President." --- I have a single digit approval rating for our President right here.

Are we at war with Syria? If not, might they not be able to take part in discussions regarding the Middle East? I support our government's attempts to deal with world politics through conversation and negotiation instead of through military force whenever possible.

Yes, I support our Speaker of the House, and anyone who does not is anti-American and should be considered a traitor. Either you are with us or against us. To go against our Speaker is clearly giving aid to our enemies. You won't be happy until our nation is in ruins. You are just blaming America first. If you speak ill of our elected officials you should be tried for treason. (See, this game can be played both ways.)

Centrist 7 years, 8 months ago

The elephants tend to shrink to the size of the donkey in a proper conversation ..

g

Centrist 7 years, 8 months ago

loud ... agribusiness or commercial interests are a whole lot different to international diplomacy, which concerns our national security. We have a government for that.

Nancy Pelosi is not a member of the Executive branch.

bunnyhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

seems to me the Speaker is merely slipping into the vacuum created by the complete lack of diplomacy demonstrated by this administration. I'm proud that there is at least one American political leader who is willing to stand up and let the world know that most Americans want to be responsible citizens of the world, as opposed to tough talking bullies.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Pelosi is on a trade mission. She's seeking minaret builders so all her followers can be called to prayer 5 times a day. The first one is to be raised in Lawrence outside the women's studies offices or near the aclu.

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

I find it really ironic that one would mention Syria and Israel in the same sentence and say that Syria is the "state-sponsor" of terrorism. Remember just a few months ago when Hezbollah captured a couple of Israeli soldiers and Israel proceeded to demolish Beirut, murder thousands of innocent civilians including children and then leave hundreds of thousands of unexploded cluster bombs? Israel is a state-sponsor of terrorism. Many Israelis themselves agree.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

Right Thinker: You just called every Arab a liar and a murderer. Is that how you want others to view your ethnicity: with narrow, offensive generalizations?

Attitudes like that will ensure that this conflict never ends.

Centrist 7 years, 8 months ago

mick .... terrorism and war are two different things (not excusing Israel's methods).

Israel WAS provoked, whether you agree with their conduct or not.

That's a whole lot different to someone blowing up commuters without regard ..

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

Terrorism is terrorism. Murdering thousands of innocents, demolishing cities, leaving unexploded cluster bombs is the pluperfect example of terrorism.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

das, thanks for reminding me. This weekend is open season on ROUS's.

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

Right thinker (actually neither). Here's evidence that Bush does tell the truth sometimes. "It'd be alot easier if we had a dictator- as long as I was the dictator."

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Liberals really do have a sense of humor superior to us conservatives.....Das wins.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Afterall they did elect Pelosi, Durbin, Kennedy etc..........that's ludicris, funny in an insane sort of way.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Lots of cut and paste in the lib talent bank too.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Of course the speaker should visit where she sees fit...that's her job.

Bush and Cheney are not diplomatic enough to visit anywhere. In fact the country is far better off to have them stay home and keep their mouths shut. Bush blowing off allies is testimony enough. Neo cons are fools.

Centrist 7 years, 8 months ago

The job of the Speaker of the House is to be Speaker of the House, not Secretary of State.

Her job is in the Congress, and nowhere else.

'Nuff said

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

Nancy Pelosi sees it as part of her job to represent the American people. Since the Republicans have become a party of ultra right wing, greedy, self-righteous, war loving, fascist neo-nazis it helps to have someone represent our country as it more truly is.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

As an outsider watching the world situation, I cheered inwardly when I saw that Nancy Pelosi was a woman with balls. Just what is needed in the world, not just the US. Here is someone who will stand up and be counted and one who is not afraid to stand up to the eejit in the White House.
My God, how can you Repubs still believe that this man has all his marbles and understands the situation in the world? He lives in a dream world. How the h can a situation ever be resolved without dialogue? Did sanctions work in Iraq? Have they worked in Iran? What makes anyone think they would work in Syria? sheeeeeeeesh! and good golly molly!!

JohnBrown 7 years, 8 months ago

To loudmouthrealist. Rice is spending more money on Blackwater than she is on any negotiations.

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

Why don't you look in the dictionary and you'll see I'mm exactly right. Those aren't just labels, TOB

Kontum1972 7 years, 8 months ago

lets have a really BIG WAR...stop this little stuff......we need a real big 1...lets do some real global WAR-ming! Then mb the boys in the white house will be happy...

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

I saw some pictures of Pelosi meeting with the Syrian President.

I think she represents the "bosom" or America quite nicely.

Hubba Hubba!!!

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

OZ that doesn't even count the ones that died off of Iraqi soil. They don't count those boys in the total. If you're wounded and die in a base hospital in Germany, or back home, you aren't in the count. If you die in the sea or in the air, not in Iraqi waters or land, you aren't counted in the total they release to the public, either.

My nephew is home from Iraq on leave right now. He's on his second tour, God bless him. He has a very upbeat attitude considering what he's seen and done in Iraq. He has horror stories to tell, though, that would curl one's toes. He went into this a republican, but he's going to come out a democrat. He went into this, volunarily and full well knowing he was going off to war, thinking he was fighting a battle for truth and democracy (even though we tried to tell him) but now he realizes that he's put his life on the line for a loud mouthed idiot who lies to his nation and uses his troops as pawns in his little game. He says that the whole thing is a complete exercise in futility. They kill groups of insurgents, more just come. The people spit on them everywhere they go and scream curses and spew hate and tell them to go away, they're not wanted. The bases employ "hajis", these are citizens of Iraq that work on base doing menial labors (cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc.) and whereas a lot of them are kind, decent and hardworking, still more of them are trying to sneak weapons and explosives onto base every single day!! My nephew said you can see the determination in the eyes of these people. They will not surrender, they will not stop, they will not quit fighting this war with us, or with each other. This is a jihad and they mean to fight it to the death. We, as Americans, don't want to die. They're looking forward to it. We need to get out now. This whole thing is a waste of human lives, time and money.

If there is someone in our government, whether it be Nancy Pelosi, Condoleeza (devil woman) Rice, or hell, I don't care, anybody, the guy who works the bagel and coffee cart in the lobby of the White House, can get some dialogue going, then I'm for it. I bet those kids over there, buried in sand and wondering whether or not they're going to die today could give a crap about checks and balances and who's stepping over boundaries and doing a job that's not hers.

Kodiac 7 years, 8 months ago

Das and TOB,

You guys are killing me. You are pretty much the only game in this forum or at least the only comments worth responding to....Where do I sign-up? Not sure if I qualify for super-high intelligence but I do real well with drinking beer and calling everyone around me morons.

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

Did you know that 43% of all statistics are made up right on the spot?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

Is there a place in Syria where you can get a good plate of moo goo gai pork?

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

Although I can barely support my own decision to visit just about anywhere . . since Pelosi went on taxpayer dimes it appears I have supported her decision to visit Syria.

drewdun 7 years, 8 months ago

The more desperate the right gets, the more vitriolic (and removed from reality) their attacks get.

And rt, you're killing me, pal. "San Fran Nan is the most dangerous person in America right now?" For what, trying to create dialogue with a problematic country, rather than drive them further away, or start a war with them with amorphous (not to mention baseless) charges. Where do you get this s***?

Once again, the LJW.com provides a service, in that one can see exactly how filled with hatred, paranoia, and sheer insanity the base of the Republican Party truly is. Reading the comments of the wingnuts, I don't see how any rational person could not come to the conclusion that a prerequisite for being a rabid right-winger is an IQ below 85 and an utter disregard (if not contempt) for reality. Really, though, taking all of this into consideration, one might be tempted to say that wingnuts are more deserving of sympathy than scorn. However, then I remember that they support a 'man' who began a disastrous war that has killed 3000+ Americans and countless Iraqis, ruined our nation's reputation in the world, and CREATED more terrorism, which is what we were ostensibly trying to defeat. And then, all they can do is trot out their old classics: "liberals hate America, dangerous subversives, traitors, terrorists, blah, blah, blah." No defense of their political messiah (in fact, in rt's taunts about them indicting Clinton in under a year, you can hear an implicit admission that they know their political messiah is a crook), but then, that's not the point to them - the only point that matters to them is the health of the Republican Party and the 'saintly' reputation of Bush. EVERYTHING takes a back seat to those concerns, even reality and the lives of our soldiers. You wanna talk about 'most dangerous person in America?' Take a look in the f** mirror, pal.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

OH NO! TOB - Is it the *** Supremacy again???

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

I've not read all the posts today. Has anybody been called a Nazi yet?

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

Did you know that if you only have one wing, be it a left wing or a right wing, you fly in a circle? I see plenty of circling going on here today.

Civility, folks, civility.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

Civility? That's something those frog-faced _ 's on the __ side of the aisle will never understand. (copy & paste to save time, fill in the blanks appropriately)

BorderRat 7 years, 8 months ago

She did look kinda hot in her scarf...

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

"I've not read all the posts today. Has anybody been called a Nazi yet?"-snap

That about made me fall over!

I think "nazi" was thrown out before lunch, wasn't it? ROFLMAO! You guys truly kill me and I enjoy each one of you, even you, right_thinker.

I have to say that we're all lucky to live in the country that we do, where we can call each other nazi, and bemoan our government and their incompetence. Many others aren't so lucky. God bless America and all that happy crappy.

I'm on my 3rd glass of wine, thank the heavens for days off, and I'm about to start telling ya'll "I love you man..." so that's my cue to go and have some food.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB, would you say the "fascist neo-nazis" are the right or left wing of the general nazi population? :)

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

Neo wasn't anything like a Nazi, at least in the first Matrix movie. He should have "whoa" a couple of times, anyhow.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

OH yes! SW Kansas update!

Stopped at the Big Well and have a coin tray at my desk with a picture of it. Went to funeral in Mullinville and saw cousins from the past. It was great seeing them. Came back home safely. It was cold and windy there, but a great trip.

Oh and guess what - NOTHING HAS CHANGED THERE!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

But of course. Wellingtons and a cane toad bikini.

Katie, what's up with the weather? Looks wet and snowy!

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey prospector, I got my cyber dukes on the ready, but I tend to unleash them only when really necessary. I think you will agree with me when I ask, must every issue be a "I scream at you, you scream at me" issue? This one just doesn't hit the mark for me, even if it does involve someone from one party doing something that people in the other party don't like.

When an issue does warrant an attack, I will gladly wield my Walt approved cyber-sword (insert the sound of metal swishing through the air). Take heed. You have all been duly warned!

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

rt, if these two aren't already in bed, they should definitely get a room: http://martinirepublic.com/item/holding-hands

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

Das, what do you mean, "let's get out of here TOB"? You and TOB are suppose to be taking up arms WITH me! I can't take on the zombies by myself!

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

R_I - differ away. One question, was she breaking some law by going over the head of GWB? I am not completely up on US constitutional law etc. Another question, would Speaker Pelosi be the head of the Democratic party? Here in Canada we have our Prime Minister and then we have the Leader of the Opposition. These opposition leaders can and frequently do visit other countries and their heads of State. This is perfectly acceptable. We also have a speaker in Parliament who is of neither party. He is just the speaker who controls the Members when they sit in parliament. The members in parliament may not speak to one another. Never!!! They must speak to the speaker only. They may say something like this -- "Mr. Speaker, the Honorable Member for Trois Riviere has said this or that......." I believe that speaker Pelosi seems to have more power and say so than that. True?? Sorry if I offended you, R_I. I get so angry when I see your government leading the rest of the world into such chaos and death, not just for your soldiers and ours and those of Britain, but for all the Iragi children, seniors and women.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

ms_canada, also, the Speaker of the House of Representatives is not officially the head of their party. IIRC, Howard Dean is the current leader of the Democratic party.

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Nancy Pelosi is an appeaser to any who oppose Bush or the current USA executive branch of government. Those of you who can't see her willful denigration of this government in order to achieve a political gain are fools.

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

The Super High Intelligence Team -- yet it is already past 5:00, so I guess I missed that bus once again.

See you in the trenches tomorrow. Bes

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

R_I and snap - thank you for the info. Obviously I know very little about your system of governance. I will do my best to bone up on it. One thing I know now, it is very, very different from ours. But I have a curious mind and I will learn. Can't think why I never did before.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

First time I can recall the term "cod piece" being used in an OTS post. I'll press a flower in my diary tonight.

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

As to the original question posed:

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

Pelosi is an enormous embarrassment to the US in any and every respect.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB - I think this would really work. You dress snap in a pleather suit with a gleaming titanium cod piece and I swear you will think that OMB has come back from the dark beyond.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm. . . . it looks like one of those rare cases of Dilutement Through Civilan Spamming Operations. The bleeding red and electric blue screaming was diluted to a light azure and rose affair.

How delightful!

Zhen de a! Wo zianzai lei ji le!

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

I would just ask, what the heck, if anything did the Sec. of State accomplish on her visit. You can't get blood out of a stone.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 8 months ago

I sure wish you could post photos here so someone could put up the one of Rummy and Good ol' Sadaam shaking hands.

But seriously though, them Syrians talk funny and look different from me and want to be in control of their own destinies...that just makes me nervous. I don't even know this Nancy Pepsi person.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

An opinion from Lebanon: "We can thank the US speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, for having informed Syrian President Bashar Assad, from Beirut, that "the road to solving Lebanon's problems passes through Damascus." Now, of course, all we need to do is remind Pelosi that the spirit and letter of successive United Nations Security Council resolutions, as well as Saudi and Egyptian efforts in recent weeks, have been destined to ensure precisely the opposite: that Syria end its meddling in Lebanese affairs." http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=5&article_id=81211

deec 7 years, 8 months ago

What about the gop reps travelling with her? Why are they off the hook?

deec 7 years, 8 months ago

As highest-ranking member of the visiting group, it is her right and obligation to speak for the group. Why are the righties , with a few exceptions today, only attacking Pelosi? "Congressman Darrell Issa of California met in the Syrian capital Thursday with President Bashar al-Assad and Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem. Issa is of Lebanese descent, and is a member of President Bush's Republican Party.

Issa told reporters that members of Congress will continue to urge the Bush administration to hold a dialogue with Syria." http://voanews.com/english/2007-04-05-voa55.cfm " Three Republican congressmen who parted with President Bush by meeting with Syrian leaders said Wednesday it is important to maintain a dialogue with a country the White House says sponsors terrorism.

"I don't care what the administration says on this. You've got to do what you think is in the best interest of your country," said Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va. "I want us to be successful in Iraq. I want us to clamp down on Hezbollah."

:"This is an area where we would disagree with the administration," (Rep. Robert) Aderholt (of Alabama) said. "None of us in the Congress work for the president. We have to cast our own votes and ultimately answer to our own constituents. : I think there's room that we can try to work with them as long as they know where we draw the line.

Another Republican congressman, David Hobson (R-OH), who traveled with Speaker Pelosi to Syria also differed with the Bush Regime partisan game players. [..]

Darrell Issa (R-CA) is generally even further to the right and at least as much of a rubber stamp as New Jersey's Christopher Smith. But he just drew a line. He's in Damascus today, meeting with Assad and also with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem. He said "Bush had failed to promote the dialogue that is necessary to resolve disagreements between the United States and Syria."