Previous   Next

Do you think Kansas University offers adequate information and services for sexual health?

Asked at Jayhawk Boulevard on September 20, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think that Watkins has a very good system and a lot of helpful information.”

“I wouldn’t know. I guess I’ve never inquired about it, but I’m a graduate student. I would imagine that more information is provided to undergraduates.”

“The only time I’ve heard anything about it was in my biology lab, and that was just something they added on. I think that people can find out what they need to know if they look.”

“Yeah, sure. I think it’s pretty well known among the students that you can go to Watkins. Other than that, I wouldn’t really know where else to go, to tell you the truth.”

Related story

Comments

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

Then dont have sex or have kids if you cannot support them. Sorry people yall cant have your cake and eat it too ALL THE TIME.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 10 months ago

I think Mrs. Teapot would be a real bag.

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

My last post is pirate speak for "You're not very nice and my feelings are hurt."

RoscoeP 8 years, 10 months ago

I find the best education is trial and error

beatrice 8 years, 10 months ago

teapot is right - condoms should be handed out in church.

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

Mr. or Mrs. Bone,

I like your style a lot.

Love,

Teapot

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

If I found a woman with a mind like mine, I would have made her my Bonette.

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

teapot: sputter sputter hiss hiss yowrl but but. . . nah, nevermind.

williaa 8 years, 10 months ago

Teapot--let me guess...your sweatshirt will have an iron-on of the grilled cheese sandwich with Jesus' face on it.

The thing that irks me about righties is that they condone sex ed, they condone abortion, but they support medicaid cuts. Therefore, parents who are unprepared and not capable of raising children are forced to do so without much support. Grrr.

beatrice 8 years, 10 months ago

Ann Coulter is a man, baby!

I wonder, besides a wardrobe, do teapot and bone also share that extra chromosome their writing seems to suggest? Yep, thought so.

davisnin 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm more worried about the upcoming years when the Clinton-era-oral-sex-is-not-sex-contrary-to-the-word-sex-in-the-name kids hit the university with their rampant throat gonorrhea. At least, after their 30 partners or more each since they were 10, they'll prolly know all about the meds and barriers and we can suspend university funding of the sexy education. Those funds would be better spent on Dir of Athletics salaries.

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

Soooooo no picnic anytime soon???? Well I should be on Mass street soon and the sweatshirt im wearing ought to be a tell tale sign of the Teapot.

Ciao

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

acg, you made me snort out loud! (On the first part, that is. That last part just got me kind of, well, nevermind! I need a cool drink.)

TOB, I kid you not, my uncle had twin blood hounds named S--- and Get! Yep, definitely an "old timey" thing.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

Susie Q, sometimes there is only one way to say something :):)

BTW, RI, Miss Lovely is no longer with KU :(

sgt, when that many Ts are present I believe the only proper pronunciation is the sizzling sound SSSSSSSSSS

Kontum1972 8 years, 10 months ago

sex in high school?

was that good sex?

is university sex better than high school sex?

..u have a bigger pool to choose from?

trinity 8 years, 10 months ago

ounce of prevention, pound of cure; condoms for all! free! everywhere!

hook line&sinker, tob... ;)

heather5 8 years, 10 months ago

wolverine congrats I saw that Michigan beat Notre Dame. Yes I know that was off topic

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

sgt, I was thinking of a tikker tape machine sound.

Ceal, I could think of dozens of ways to say it but that has gotten me into some trouble in the past. :) Someone was telling me about someone named Lovely the other day...I wonder how many there could be?

Gootsie, that was fuuuuuny! (Can you pronounce that sarge? Just make a long "uh" sound in the middle:))

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

sgt, you better direct the DOT to the OTS if they need real data on rounabouts! YIKES!

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

Mrs. Teapot is going to be the equivalent of Laura Bush. Attractive, smart, easy going, well read, still sexy after all these years. Actually on second thought Mrs. Teapot is going to be the real Ann Coulter. She is HOTTTT!!! Not even the bleeding hearts can argue with that.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 10 months ago

Celebate, kids! Celebate!! You are away from home!

oh wait, that's celebRate.

never mind.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Wow! Did Ceal actually say "bump and grind?" :)

BTW, they say if your daughter is 9 years old, it's time to go get her the HPV shots. I'll be taking both my girlies in. Alas, they say if you are past the age of 28(?) that you are too OLD for the shots. :(

concernedparent 8 years, 10 months ago

I think Watkins should have a 24 hour delivery service. That should really help when they get a 230 after the bar and the ugly guy looks cute episode is taking place phone call.

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

Bea, Really, I would have thought you would have supported sexual health services. I personally don't think that one class was enough, but whatever. Sccchhhwwinnggg!

kujeeper 8 years, 10 months ago

Watkins is horrible, if you go there, you either are pregnant or have mono, those are the only two things those worthless doctors can diagnose.

Stefanie Berry 8 years, 10 months ago

This is crazy!! These are adults that can buy thier own condoms!! It's not like their expensive or hard to find. Sex ed was taught in high school, it doesn't need to be repeated.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

Bea, that is quite a large dose of sarcasm. That is an accomplishment.

But you were wrong on one count: STDs exist only among hippie Birkenstock-wearing liberals. I mean, come on, get it right.

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

That is kind of weird especially since I dont think I know anyone on this board. When will we be having a picnic where we all get together and wear nametags with or LJWorld name on them??? Maybe we could meet at South Park or a local watering hole??? I think this would be a superb idea!!!!

basil 8 years, 10 months ago

What right does a public institution have to teach a religion class? And thank God we don't teach evolution here! This is all a matter for the HOME. An institute for higher learning should leave learning anything but the three rs for the home.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

The hubby had a "sex ed" class in college and, well, here we are 18 years later... Someone who is well educated is nice to keep around. ;)

TOB, Get it right! It's "cyber footsie!" Besides, I would have never told RI about the OTS if I actually thought he would log on and eventually call me "beamy" beacuse it was the nicest thing he could say about me. As if there is anything wrong with a J Lo bootie!

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

I do think that there is a place for sexual health services, but it is not at the University. The highest risk populations are not your college kids.

Put the money into public health services, put brochures on campus, and make the services available to everyone.

Public Health could go on "Jimmy Patrol" and hand out condoms, at night, downtown. Where inhibitions are low and libido is high.

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

Linda Aikins 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm a little teapot short and stout I can't seem to avoid the spout. When I get my dander up, then I shout SOMEONE PLEASE COME AND PUT ME OUT (of my misery)

OK, I have looks, not talent...

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Are they called Trojans because they allow invaders to slip past defenses, or because they stand till the bitter end?

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Gootsie: Possible alternative last lines?

Someone should come and take me out. Will someone waste their time and chew me out? People scream and yell although I'm a lout! Someone clarify what the hell I'm yapping about.

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

It is not the responsibility of a higher learning institution to provide sex ed. If you are so sheltered that you need someone to spoon feed you sexual health advice after you reach adulthood, you probably wouldn't understand it any way.

"The 40 Year Old Virgin" was just a movie.

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Kontum1972 8 years, 10 months ago

condom's or condoom's....usually see them in the street as i walk down Kasold..hmm..hate to be hit by one of those tossed out the window of a moving vehicle...that would be bad Ju-Ju...drive-by Aids.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

TOB, the encouraging thing is that they're installing these roundabouts as a part of a huge road project, so I suspect they'll do them the right way, and not just drop a tractor tire in the intersection and repaint the lines. I hope that will help the learning curve (so to speak).

Heather, yes, Michigan surprised a lot of its fans -- including me -- by actually playing well on the road.

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

Ok, I think this is a very valid point. KU shouldnt have to educate or inform its students about sexual health. Two reasons, one, unless you are married and can handle the responsibilities of sex and the consequences that may come from it you shouldnt be having sex. Two, parents should have the only say in when and how their children know about sex not some liberal institution like KU.

Teapot9 8 years, 10 months ago

I am being dead serious what right does a public institution have regarding information on sexual health?? These are personal and private matters. We are talking about sex NOT religion here people. America wasnt built on sexual philosophies but rather Judeo-Christian ones. The schools have no right (unless private) to be teaching or informing its students about sexual health. Contrary to popular belief on this board there is still a good reason for churches and parents.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

Unrelated link, but the Michigan DOT is referencing Kansas roundabouts in support of its installation of roundabouts here.

I am amused by the flash demos of roundabout traffic patterns.

trinity 8 years, 10 months ago

hah, KU doesn't need to offer it-these lil' sprouts seem to find out about things juuuust fine, on their own! ;)

nah but seriously...if kids hit campus&haven't figured out where to go/who to see about such matters (parents haven't clued 'em in), something is wrong!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Well, I was married when I went to KU, but if I'd known about any educational services, I may not have graduated with a bun in the oven. Who knew that sharing bath water could do that?

Seriously, why don't places just put Trojan machines EVERYWHERE!!! Bathrooms, phonebooths, closets, dorm rooms, parkinglots, (the cafeteria could even put them next to the condiments)...Seems if they were readily available, they'd be used. Maybe we should get Condomleezza Rice's advice on this as it seems to be a homeland security question.

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

I've always found that Ann Coulter's bulging adam's apple is quite the attractive feature on a lady, myself. Oh yeah, if I swung that way, I'd do her.

There's nothing wrong with KU/Watkins teaching info on sex and sexual health. It's better that the kiddies get info from medical and educational professionals than the uptight bible beaters that plague our society. I would much rather some curious youngster come away from a discussion re: sexual health with more answers than "oh that's dirty, don't do that. You're going to burn in hell if you touch yourself that way. You know that'll make your eyes cross forever. Those are dirty pillows and you're a dirty, evil girl for having them, blah blah blah, bible verse, bible verse bible verse".

Bone777 8 years, 10 months ago

Damn Bea, I tea see ayyych. You are funny today!!!!!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

I've always wondered how to pronounce "hot" when it has more than one t. Any ideas?

basil 8 years, 10 months ago

There are plenty of thinking, educated adults with less-than-perfect understanding of sexual health. Especially any of you who think we learned it all in high school, or that my mom told me all there was to know about how herpes can be transmitted, or about the risks of cervical cancer from HPV (whazzat?). And that's not getting into other health issues to do with sex, such as painful intercourse (for men and women, non-disease-caused), the ideal frequency for pap smears, signs and symptoms of testicular cancer (common in this age group), etc. And Teapot, you can be in a committed relationship and still be at risk for any number of sexual health problems.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

Apparently both students and non-students could use a little edgacatin!

The freakin study was done by a condom company!!! Hello!! Hidden agenda!!!

Condoms are not the cure all for the diseases people are getting from the frantic sexuality that is ram-pant in our society. CONDOMS ARE NOT 100% EFFECTIVE!!!! Not against pregnancy, not against STDs, not even against rain. Condom = more safe . . . . not safe.

Working on hormone hill I am painfully aware of the "I have no value unless every man who sees me finds me attractive" mentality.

Watkins is a very good resource for students, and believe me they need it! Don't assume that because kids were sexually active in high school that means they know anything about it beyond bump and grind. You would not believe some of the questions asked and really dumb statements made by the "young adults" who seek services.

How ironic that kids will take martial arts lessons to protect themselves from muggers, rapists, etc., but not take time to learn about a more real and present danger . . stds.

beatrice 8 years, 10 months ago

So many well-adjusted people out there. Good for you! How wonderful that you all learned every little thing there is to know about having and maintaining a healthy sex life -- especially since they had that one afternoon class in highschool with that film of the cartoon sperm who talks. We also are all aware how comfortable fully mature people are with their own sexuality by the time they reach college. Heck, they are three months out of high-school - what more can we do? Of course they are ready for every little thing that will come their way, especially when it comes to sexual relationships.

Besides, as the ladyhawk above pointed out, sexual health is all about condoms, nothing more, and I've never even heard of a teenager being the least bit shy or uncomfortable purchasing condoms -- especially now that some drugstores keep them behind the counter so you actually have to ask for them. Because of this, I can't even think of why an institution of advanced knowledge would bother trying to teach people about some of the nuances of a healthy, adult sex-life, or provide condoms in a comfortable environment where someone might be able to receive answers for any questions a teen might have. They already have all the answers -- again, they had that one class in high school. How silly of the university to do such a thing, since we all know that STDs are just a thing of the past and only known today to exist among hippie liberals. Just a big waste of money, I tell ya. If they are doing anything, it is too much.