Previous   Next

Do you think the KU and city bus systems should merge?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 19, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think it would be a good idea. A lot of kids that live off campus use the city bus system to get around.”

“They can call the bus service whatever they want as long as it works. My frustrations with Park and Ride are growing daily.”

“I think it’s a good idea for them to merge as long as they can adjust the schedule for the students’ benefit.”

“I would say that it would probably be more efficient if they merged. The student bus system is great, it’s student-run with student money, but it would be better for the students if they could go wherever they need to go from campus.”

Comments

killjoy 8 years, 11 months ago

it's the roundabouts isn't it?

I'm just going to enjoy "talk like a pirate day", sept. 19th today

www.talklikeapirate.com/

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Sometimes Johnny Depp talks like a feminine version of Johnny Depp.

I think the KU and city bus systems should merge with every other bus system in the state. Imagine the convenience of a statewide bus system!

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

yarrrr, maties...

i don't care whether or not the bus systems merge. the wheels will still go round&round, no matter what.

yar.

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

ahoy i jus' love this darned paper an' all ye swabbies who post here!

here's yet another pirate site, maties! http://www.syddware.com/cgi-bin/pirate.pl

good tide t' all o' ye!

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 11 months ago

Shiver me timbers, mates! Me thought ol' Jack Sparrow did a mighty fine Keith Richards impression. Nearly as fine a turn as Mick Jaggarrrrrrrr doin' Keith.

badger 8 years, 11 months ago

Avast, me hearties!

Yarr, I'm thinkin' that so long as the services don't get scuppered for either line, and the routes that don't primarily serve KU students aren't sent to Davy Jones' locker, the merger 'tis a fine and bonny thing.

Now, up the Jolly Roger and let's away to plunder Last Call! I hear it's fair laden with booty.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 11 months ago

Guessin' me might be keepin' to topic. The land lubber can just honor ye transfers an keep it at that.

Ye c'n only shake th' Last Call booty. T'aint fer spendin'.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Does this mean we're back to Arrr_Aye for a day?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Shivermetimbers! No they shouldn't merge. Arhhhh! The scallywags are up to no good, I tell ye.

What does a pirate pay to get his ears pierced?
A buccaneer! Arrrrrrr, me hearties! Yo ho ho. Where's the rum?

Bone777 8 years, 11 months ago

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum, It all depends on who's pocket would be gettin' lined. Arrrrr. X marks the spot.

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

i dasn't know 'ere th' rum be-but i sure would like a skull&crossbones tattoo! (jus' t' make marion post venom again, hah)

Teapot9 8 years, 11 months ago

Just as long as we dont have any Rosa Parks fiascos I will be fine with it.

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

Do pirates still kidnap maidens? What fun it would be if the pirate was Johnny Depp. I wonder how that could be arranged. Save the little buses, I say.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 11 months ago

Nerds and racists. Is this a Texas high school? Only thing missing is a parking lot full of pick-ups with gun-racks and jeans at the prom.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 11 months ago

Oh, sometimes I forget that there is an initial point to these comment areas. Seems like 3 bus systems + all those busses that take drunken college kids around is a bit much for a town of under 100,000. But I'm no bus-system-knowin'-'bout-kind-a-guy.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

If it means getting rid of the old KU On Wheels buses that spew huge clouds of black smoke out their rear, then I say yes.

Last month I called to voice my concern over the very real health hazard for anyone within 3 car lengths of those buses. The reply -- we know, but until we get more money for new buses that is the way it will be!!

TOB: "a feminine version of Johnny Depp" ?? His Jack Sparrow is totally feminine, IMHO. But then again, I'm so far behind times, until Azure clued me in with an earlier post, I didn't even know Mick was doing Keith.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm not a Johnny Depp fan, so it's easy for me to nit-pick at his faults:)

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 11 months ago

Maybe Pete Townsend too, TOB. One of those guys, Pete said, helped him experience what is was like to be a woman.

Ceal, years back Mick was a guest host on SNL. That week's Weekend Update has guests Mick Jagger (Mike Myers) and Kieth Richards (Mick Jaggar) on to talk about I don't know what becuase I was ROTFLMAO. "Kieth" was completely unintelligable, just about like the real Kieth, but who would know Kieth better than Mick.

Johnny Depp says that he modeled Jack Sparrow after Kieth Richards and I think he did so fabulously.

Where can I sign up to be kidnapped by Johnny Depp?

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 11 months ago

Forget about the pointy hat. I want Teapot to stick his/her/it's pointy head under a bus. Teapot, you are bucking to replace conservativeman as the LAMEST poster!!!!

jonas 8 years, 11 months ago

kaizofu no hanasu kata no nichi da yo ne?

kaizofu oo ni naritai yo!

GOMU GOMU rokketto!!!!!!!!!

Teapot9 8 years, 11 months ago

Lamest poster??? I think you meant the poster that makes people think the most and ponder whats really going on here in Lawrence. John Kerry for President...OF FRANCE!!!!!

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Oh nooooo! Jonas is out of meds again!! Hang on to your hats!!

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 11 months ago

You are a legend in your own mind, Crackpot.

jonas 8 years, 11 months ago

(It's pirate talking day? I want to be king of the pirates!" GUM GUM Rocket!)

Of course, if you haven't watched One Piece, that probably doesn't help much.

Great cartoon.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

I was listenting to Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" just this morning and I was thinking: "What did Freddy want with a girl's bottom anyway...no matter the size?" Maybe Mick had Freddy, too. Arrrrggggg!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

RI, did thou call me "Beamy?" I'd slap ye with a glove if I had one! How dare ye! arg!

Richard Heckler 8 years, 11 months ago

Cannot understand how more riders on one bus system would increase bus fairs. If a merger in fact happens why not keep them running until 10 PM? Likely there is constant student input on thsi matter.

Student would not lose..they are the primary riders.

Teapot9 8 years, 11 months ago

Azure,

I love you and hope to run into you one day and fall in love together and then we reveal our handles on LJWorld.com and jjust giggle at the times we had during our OTS rants. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Irene 8 years, 11 months ago

Don't let the day end without getting your pirate names:

My claim to "fame" and I do need to frame fame with quotes, is that I was once in a play with Mark Summers and knew John Baur (you know, the pirate guys). So when I was working out at the Circle S several years ago, listening to the radio, I nearly fell down the stairs when I heard John's voice on an NPR interview about pirate day.

I know I'm not even talking like a pirate, so call me a bilge rat and feed me to the sharks!

Irene (known today as Flora the Green)

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 11 months ago

Aye, it's the attitude, Potted One. It draw 'em e'r close an' niegh they strength t'resist. Pirate charm. Arrrrgh!

Teapot9 8 years, 11 months ago

Wench Arthur Treacher the Drunk Beard

Thats me pirate name

JayCat_67 8 years, 11 months ago

Whether it's a full merger or just some kind of cooperation in accepting transfers, it would make it a heckuva lot easier to go from point A to Z and a lot more points in between. The real sticking point to an actual merger is the fact that the city gets federal $$$ to help run the "T", therefore they must be ADA compliant. In other words, they must have wheelchair lifts and some sort of system to announce intersections and stops. (whether driver with PA, or nifty GPS system). Timing wise, this should happen in the next three years since the city buses should be nearing the end of their planned life span and be ready for replacement. Big bucks for buses, but worth it if a little more convenience will convince people to leave their cars home and ride.

H_Lecter 8 years, 11 months ago

I hope all you scurvy dogs get tied to the yardarm for your lashes, I b' knowing that sum o' you likes it mor than the others...maybe sums a bit too much...arrrrh

Sums o' you may have to be run through till the moanin' b' too loud for me ears t'stand....You'll be drained of the energy t'fight off the sharks as we drag you behind the ship, tied to a short plank, at the end o'a rope.

Makes me pegleg quiver with excitement...arrrrh

Avast the ultimate pirate links (safe for kids):