Previous   Next

Where were you when you heard about 9-11?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 11, 2006

Browse the archives

“I was in Colorado Springs on my way to the Denver Gem and Mineral Show. I woke up in the morning and turned on the TV. The first plane had already hit and I actually saw the second plane hit the building, and I’ll never forget it. I just couldn’t believe it was happening. It was very traumatic.”

“I was working on someone’s plumbing in south Lawrence and I heard about it on NPR. I couldn’t believe it, so I asked someone else at the job site. When I found out it was true, I took the day off and went home to try and absorb it all.”

“I was in my freshman English class when my principal told us what happened over the intercom. We spent the rest of the day watching the news and talking about it in class.”

“I was in my dorm room at the University of Missouri. The first tower had already fallen. It seemed pretty out of this world, because we usually never have to experience anything like it here in America.”

Comments

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

at my desk, at work, listening to streaming audio over the internet-a talk station from kc. went home early that day, to be sure i was home when my youngest (then a freshman) got home from school-and boy was i glad i did. pretty much glued to a tv set that day&some days after.

cutny 8 years, 3 months ago

I was on the subway. Just came off the Manhattan Bridge and went back underground. Probably missed seeing the first tower being hit by 2 or 3 minutes. Came out of the station and saw a bunch of workers pointing in the direction of the towers...Walked home over the bridge 8 hours later. Weird, long, sad day.

mightyquin 8 years, 3 months ago

On my way to work. Heard about the first tower on the radio. At the time it was still thought to be an accident of some kind, but when I got to work the second tower had been hit and then it was known not to be accidental.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at home. I stayed at home the rest of the day, watching the TV reports and trying to figure out how to react.

Nikki May 8 years, 3 months ago

At work. I got a phone call from my mom about something and then she starts telling me about it. I just thought she was over reacting, and said, "Oh, alright". I then went back to my classroom and told the aide in there who proceeded to panic because of family. She went on break and I turned on the radio. THEN it became real. Then I worried for my friends that were there. (I'd never been to New York at that point so had no idea of geography, so didn't know that they were pretty far from there even if they were at work).

garrenfamily 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at my college internship. We heard it over the radio. I had to go to class at KU an hour later and we were all sent home for the day by some of our professors. I sat on my couch and watched tv all day and talked with my family over the phone. Scary times.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Also, I am reminded of the first Michigan football game following 9-11. During the pregame, they had a moment of silence, and I am not exaggerating when I say the entire stadium -- over 108,000 people -- was totally silent. (The only noise came from people outside the stadium; they hadn't heard the announcement of the moment of silence.) It was a remarkable moment.

The halftime show was also moving.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at work on the Plaza. We had a television set in our offices, so when one of the secretaries told us the plane had hit, we went in to watch. Then the second hit, then the Pentagon, then Pennsylvania. One of my coworkers had a sister in the area, so she went home in a panic. It was a horrible morning. I watched the television almost all weekend.

Was this on a Thursday morning that it happened?

southerngirl 8 years, 3 months ago

Driving to work from Wellsville to Lawrence. I was on county road 458 nearing the intersection of 1051 (Haskell). Heard in on 98.1 KUDL with Dan and Darcy. Dan led into the story and Darcy reported it. That's how shocked I was, I remember everything...

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 3 months ago

I was here working at home. I caught the news when I could as I own a home daycare and didn't want the younger ones to see what was happening.

911 was a truely sad day and so many lives were taken from us. I have had my flag flying since that day and will continue to through out many years to come.

tyger_lily 8 years, 3 months ago

I was on my way to the Kansas State fair when we heard it on the radio. I was working for Alltel at the time and it was my day to help out with thier booth there. Talk about a ghost town at the fair that day, most everybody there was crowded around the Cox Communications booth that had a big TV.

bretherite 8 years, 3 months ago

I was taking my son to school. He was late because of a dentist appt. I heard it on the raido and remember the DJ saying orginally it was a small plane that had lost its engine power. Then they said a a second plane hit the other tower. Dropped my son at school came home and saw the towers fall. I remember being on the phone with my parents who were actually driving to DC for vacation and convicing them to turn around and come home.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at home- it was Tuesday Gootsie. My daughter wasn't feeling well, so I'd called in to work and let her sleep. We lived on the west coast at the time, so things were just getting stirring that morning.

NPR came on and said a small plane had hit the WTC. My husband leapt for the TV and I hit the computer. Until the bandwidth was exceeded and the communications towers came down, we did ok. Once we couldn't get up to date news it was disconcerting.

We went and bought a flag that day, and without a flagpole we resorted to stapling it to our front window frame where it stayed until we moved.

Kat Christian 8 years, 3 months ago

I was watching the news then it went to special report and showed the Trade Center building on fire. I couldn't believe it. It reminded me of the movie "The Towering Inferno" and I didn't think it was real until I saw the second plane hit the other building. I felt the same fear I felt when I saw Bobby Kennedy then Martin L. King, Jr. killed. It made me realize that our country is as vulnerable as any other country pledged by invasions from other countries. Since 9/11 I feel that we are on borrowed time from here on out. I try not to think about it and just live on. The people who were killed that day would have wanted us to continue our lives. I think the people of Flight 93 were the most heroic and truly gave their lives for our country. The spot where their plane crashed should be the one and first spot for a memorial.

betti81 8 years, 3 months ago

my roommates and i were all up at the same time getting ready for school (1st time that had happened). so with everyone up, i decided we needed some music and turned on the radio. i went to start drying my hair and my roommate stepped out of his room and said..."did you hear that". "What?" and i listened. i thought it was a joke. a war of the worlds type thing. we immediately all went to the living room and turned on the t.v. i believe the second tower had just been hit.

we actually went to class (biology) and after i found out about the d.c. plane, i had to find out if a friend was okay. our teacher actually kept us. she wouldn't let us watch t.v. or talk about what was going on. loads of us just walked out. what a surreal day...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

I've been dreading this day all week. I really didn't wish to re-live it, again, for the ump-teenth time.

What I remember were all the people at work who had kids (I had none on 9/11) who were anxious to get their kids out of school and get them home. I remember thinking, in a very rational, antiseptic fashion, that the American economy had NOT been destroyed, that we had NOT been defeated by the terrorist in any way. Yet, I was so unsettled, that when they said "Go home if you feel you need to", I also went home about an hour later. I couldn't concentrate, and eventually had to admit that I was pretty much holding back tears for most of the morning.

My reflections five years later are that I feel badly for the men who piloted those planes into those buildings. I feel badly for them because I can only imagine how it must feel like to live one's life so filled with anger and rage that they could be manipulated by others to do something so destructive... and to even be so far gone that they could believe that God would show them appreciation for their hateful acts.

Yes, I know: they were the perpetrators, and I'm supposed to feel sorry for their VICTIMS. And of course I do. But I'd much rather die after having lived a fulfilling life than to be the walking dead like those men were, only to finally end your life by doing something so utterly destructive. Some sick clerics manipulated some angry young men into believing that their only hope for Godly glory was through a path of Satanic hate. There is an enormous tragedy in that side of the story as well.

Everyone lost on 9/11.

redneckwoman 8 years, 3 months ago

I was 39 weeks pregnent. My husband and I where on our way to court to seek visitation for his then 7yr old daughter. We were listening to the car radio when we heard. From where we were on the highway you could see many of the plane's over the area doing U turns to go to KC or Topeka or Leavenworth. Once at the courthouse our lawyer came to us and told us that both Towers had collapsed. While sitting there you can see all the officer's at the courthouse on alert and feel the tention in the buliding.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at home getting ready for work. I happened to be giving a friend from work a ride that day and she called to tell me that NYC was being attacked. I already had the TV on for news and weather and walked in the room to see the tower smoking. After we took that in, I told her that I was nearly ready and would be there in about 20 or 30 minutes. When I was done with my make up I walked in to get dressed just in time to see the plane slam in to the 2nd tower. Then the phone rang again and I picked it up and we simultaneously said, "DID YOU SEE THAT!?!" When we got to work we were glued to cnn.com. What a black day.

I thought it odd that at lunch I saw contrails and in the distance a plane. Since planes had been grounded by then I figured that could only be Air Force One and the only AFB in that direction was Offut outside of Omaha. I guess they have some super secret undergroud SAC stuff going on there. Mr. Attitude called me a minute later and said he saw AF1 flying over on his lunch break.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Driving home from my neighbor's house. They were in Canada and I was "doggie sitting." I heard the news come over the radio and thought it incredible. I sat glued to the TV for most of the day. My neighbors called to say they were scrambling to get back into the USA in case the borders should be shut down. I lost a lot of sleep in the weeks/months to follow.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 3 months ago

Attitude- that was the weirdest thing- the planes being grounded. I lived in the flight path of an international airport and the silence overhead for those few days was as unsettling as just about anything I'd ever NOT heard.

My parent company at that time lost quite a few people in the buildings, and it turned out my husband had met the pilot of the plane that was driven into the Pentagon. Creepy small world.

vajhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I worked in a trade association in DC and that very morning all of our farmer reps where on the Hill visiting their Members. There were two of us in the office and we had the TV on - saw the towers fall, then heard the boom from the Pentagon hit. I spent a long hour on the balcony watching the smoke, many others were on their balconys watching, and then the long march of people trying to get out of DC. It was a long day as we could not dial out on the phone, but the wives of the farmers called in to ask about their whereabouts. It was very hard to tell those women that I didn't know and couldn't reach them because the cell towers were shut down. Those men walked the 20 blocks from the Capital to our office to check in. It took me 4 hours to get home (usually 45 minutes)and it was the scariest Metro ride of my life. When I got home, my boyfriend (now husband) and I sat on our balcony and watched the biggest plane we had ever seen make racetrack circles around the DC Metro area. For the next week there were tanks and soldiers with machine guns on every other corner and an eerie sense of fear and silence. Surreal is about the only word for it. I will never forget that day.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 3 months ago

My alarm was set to wake me up for class and I always had it on the radio. I remember it going off with "A plane hit one of the towers about twenty minutes ago, and a few minutes later a second plane hit the other tower." At this point, like everyone else it the world, I was like WTF? So I flip on the tv and begin my almost uninterrupted tv watching for the next couple days. I had to go to class that day and when I got there, all of us students had to tell the professor what had happened because he hadn't heard anything.

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

On vacation in Newfoundland in a little town called Trinity on Trinity Bay, north coast of NFLD. Lovely town that is a museum itself with beautiful old buildings. Driving along one street a woman came out of a B&B waving her arms at us to stop.(she had previously showed us her B&B and all the antiques, but had no room) She told us about the crashes. We later found another B&B which had cable and we sat glued to CNN the rest of the day. What a sad day indeed. I must say that I agree with OldEnuff. What sad lives those terrorists live, to be filled with such hatred for the western world. Can anyone of you imagine the amount of hatred a person would need to do something like that which involves your own death in a horrible way? And to live under such a delusion that doing that dastardly act would gain you immediate access to Heaven. What sort of god would require such hatred and malevolence in a believer? And to think that this terrorist movement is gaining converts daily is a very scarey thing. We ought to ask ourselves just why it is that they hate us so much. Anyone care to speculate?

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

sue et al - NFLD is an island sitting far out in the Atlantic and it has a large airport at Gander in the very center of the island. Many planes were diverted to the island and islanders scrambled to accommodate the travellers. We met people from all over the globe just wandering the streets of towns and St. John, the capital city. Everyone seemed to be stunned and in a daze. One couple we had stopped to ask where we could find a hotel was from Birmingham, Eng. and of course did not know. They had been on their way to L.A. for a Calif. holiday. I wonder if they ever made it there. We wondered if things would be sort of back to normal enough for us to fly home on Sept. 21. We did not know for sure until 6am that day. People call 9/11 the day that changed the world. I think that the biggest change would have to be the attitude of Muslims extremists. I believe they gained a new courage to do all in their power to rid the world of the infidel. They now saw that that power was theirs to grasp.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

"all of us students had to tell the professor what had happened because he hadn't heard anything"

Had he been in a coma?

JHawker 8 years, 3 months ago

I was in my U.S. Politics class at LHS and the assistant principal came and told our teacher before they made the announcement since our class was dealing with U.S. politics... it was a surreal and horrifying day.

Ken Miller 8 years, 3 months ago

I was in a parking garage at 9th and Main in KCMO, and heard it on the radio - two DJs with a rock station completely freaked out on the air - I heard they were later fired for it. I then ran into the KC Chamber of Commerce and saw the second plane hit live on TV. At that moment, I started thinking to myself "how am I going to explain this to my (then) five-year-old daughter?"

I'm from New York. My sister still lives in NYC. She, however, was on a plane from London back to NY when the tragedy began. They turned around the plane and headed back to Heathrow -without telling passengers why. When they landed and de-planed, she and her husband walked up to a security official at the airport - when they asked him why their flight had returned, my sister said "his face just went ash-white. In that moment, he realized that he was going to have to tell two Americans - two New Yorkers - what just happened."

While that sounds bad, my sister is thankful. If she hadn't been on vacation in London, she would have been at her job in lower Manhattan. She found out a week later that everyone in her office saw the second plane hit the WTC.

angelofmine 8 years, 3 months ago

I was on my way to work and the DJ cut into the scheduled programming and announced (I remember specifically that it was Dare's morning show, and Johnny's voice was trembling) that the first plane hit, but at that point nobody knew exactly what was going on yet. I was pregnant with my daughter, and overly emotional as it were, but once the realization of what was happening set in I was wondering what kind of life my unborn child was about to be brought into. The rest of the day, most of the staff was in the conference room glued to the television, watching the coverage. I just wanted to go home and cry, I remember specifically! But I needed gas, and silly me had put it off that morning. I spent 2 hours in line to fill up my tank! They hadn't started gouging yet but the wait was crazy.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

taking kids to school, dropped off one and then heard about the first plane. Went home to wake my husband who did not believe me he walked to the living room just in time to see the second plane hit. Then went to the health dept, where they had no idea what was going on did not stay went back home and had one foot on one side of baby gate the other on the other side when the south tower fell I remember going oh my god all those people then just sat down in shock for the rest of the morning then went to work and tried to get 4 college age kids to pull it together and act ok, worked in a nursing home then. But thought we had to do our jobs and look after these people as best we could because for alot of them we where all they had and they were in shock themselves. Then tried to drive home had to drive thru some parking lots to get around all the gas station traffic just to sit in front of the tv and watch as no one was pulled out. remember waking my husbad who by the way turned 40 on that day, up in the middle of the night and saying they found a cop alive. and then nothing again no one being found and my heart just cried for all those people. But then I thought about all the ones that got out and realized how much worse it could have been.

Ceallach 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at work. When we heard about the first plane I tuned into NPR via internet. A very short time later a colleague came in with a portable TV on which we were trying to get a signal -- in Strong Hall reception is terrible -- we got a picture just in time to see the plane hit the second tower. The rest of the morning we took turns sitting in the conference room and reporting back to the rest of the staff -- the Pentagon -- Flight 93 -- it seemed surreal, and as though it would never end.

The realization that we were at war hit home that day. Let's hope we don't forget that we are a privileged, protected people. Freedom isn't free and we are now at war with an enemy that does not recognize anyone, man woman or child, as a non-combatant.

No matter how much some people want to pretend we can just bring our people home and everything will be okay, Marion is right, it's not over yet.

lunacydetector 8 years, 3 months ago

i was fixing breakfast and my wife called to say there was something on the radio as she watched the planes slowly turning around, you could see by their contrails high in the sky. i went out the front door and saw the aftermath of all the turns, semi-circles of thin clouds slowly dissipating. i wish i had a camera.

sweetiepie 8 years, 3 months ago

"Freedom isn't free and we are now at war with an enemy that does not recognize anyone, man woman or child, as a non-combatant."

We have also become an enemy that does not recognize anyone, man, woman or child, as a non-combatant (as long as you count innocent Iraqi men, women and children as non-combatants).

I was teaching that day and hadn't heard the radio since about 7:00 a.m. My students started coming in, saying that a plane had hit the World Trade Center, then that another plane had hit, then that the Pentagon had been hit. I watched tv for days. I remember the predictions that there were 20,000 or more people in the buildings. The Navy brought at least one enormous hospital ship up to NYC to handle all the casualties--they kept talking about how there wasn't enough room in the hospitals for all the people who would be brought in--and then as time went by, there were so few survivors to bring in.
Truly a day that will live in infamy.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 3 months ago

I had just had gallbladder surgery a few days before, and was still at home recuperating. I'd just woke up that morning, and a friend called to ask me if I'd heard what was going on. I turned onto CNN.

At that time, the first plane had struck, but they still thought it was a small plane, not a jet. I saw it live on TV when the second plane hit the WTC, and when the plane hit the Pentagon. At that time they were talking about another plane over Pennsylvania that might possibly have been hijacked, but they weren't sure.

My daughter was talking to people online later that day, and they were all panicking and rushing out to buy gas, etc. I resisted the urge, and stayed home. Wood Oil here was charging 5-6 dollars a gallon, too, just a couple or three hours after it first started.

I remember thinking that we'd probably be at war by evening, and was scared to death by it.

I was sitting outside a couple of days later when they decided to demolish a house across the street from me, and I jumped like I'd been shot when I heard the noise, and swore at people who thought it was okay to demolish buildings so soon afterward, when people's nerves were still taut.

For a long time afterward, I flinched every time I saw a plane go over.

Scout 8 years, 3 months ago

I was in labor. The doctor was breaking my water as the second plane crashed. It was a very scary and surreal experience. Luckily, my daughter wasn't born until the next morning, but I still feel sad that every year her birthday is overshadowed by this horrible event.

jfgibson 8 years, 3 months ago

I worked at a bank in Lawrence. It was strange how many people came in just to watch our little tv we had in the lobby. They didn't need to draw out money or make a deposit they just needed to know what was going on. I have many friends over seas fighting for our freedom as we speak. I am very close to them and re live a sense of pride every week when I speak to one of them on the phone and realize they have put their life on the line for all of us. Let's remember to always have a sense of patiotism and pride in our country and remember those who are serving our country, avenging this horrific day in history.

bangaranggerg 8 years, 3 months ago

I was getting off the elevator at Naismith dorm and saw a group of people crowded around the big screen in the lobby, I had slept in and was running late so I hadn't turned the TV on in my room as I was getting dressed. The doors opened on the elevator to a lobby full of people who had only known each other a month or two embracing each other and crying. Still no one had much idea about what was going on until we saw a plane flying at the already crippled building. I spent the rest of the day smoking and drinking trying to escape from the world I was about to inherit. Rumors were flying and planes weren't. Strange days.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 3 months ago

oldenuf - he might as well been in a coma, we were amazed that he had no idea what was going on, but we had to sit through the entire class anyways, wondering what else had happened since we got there.

I_Bejewel 8 years, 3 months ago

I was dropping my son off at Kindergarten when I first heard any mention on the radio. After taking him in to his class, I got back into my car to head to work, and heard more details unfolding. My work was just a few minutes away, and when I walked in the door, I could tell nobody else had heard anything yet, so I told them to turn on the radio. We all sat and listened, not getting a whole lot of work done. I was 5 months pregnant at the time and had a prenatal appointment that morning as well. Walking into the doctor's waiting room, I saw what I had been listening to, as everyone in there was glued to the one tv set. I remember telling the nurse to not be too surprised if my blood-pressure was higher than usual. I could tell she was doing her best to remain composed and do her job. Unlike many people who were allowed to go home, scoop up their kids, or just sit in front of the television, there were a lot of people (my nurse for instance) who had to stay on task. I also opted not to pick up my son from Kindergarten. At least he could live in bliss a while longer. Driving home later that afternoon, seeing the people lined up at the gas stations.... I think that's when I finally broke down and cried.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 3 months ago

JFGibson, as much as I appreciate our military mena and women, our service people in Iraq are NOT avenging this day. Those in Afghanistan sure were, but not those in Iraq. Still and for the vast majority of them, they are courageous men and women serving with honor and digity, but they were not sent to Iraq in honor and dignity but for greed and revenge.

kcwarpony 8 years, 3 months ago

I was blissfully asleep, a combination of night shift and being nocturnal, and then a rude awakening. At 1:30pm I turned on the radio and realized something had happened but the radio was being vague, I thought something had happened in KC. I turned on KMBC-TV just in time to see a replay of the towers falling on ABC News. I was shocked but not surprised. Shocked that they had hit three out for four major targets. Not surprised because I figured it was only a matter of time before something like a bombing would happen again. I will never forget. Found out a month later that someone I had grown up with, who had gone into the Navy after high school, had been working at the Pentagon that day. He was very close to the site of the impact and saw way too much that day...

Prayers to all. Peace.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

One of my neighbors just stopped by my house. She's a lovely 15 year old now. She had to stop by after school today to remind me that I was the first to tell her of the planes that day. (She was walking with her mom and brother and I had stopped to tell them what I had just heard over the radio.) She said, I didn't know who you were then, but I know you now...and I remember it was you who told me. She would have been 10 at the time and even she remembers where she was when she heard. Sad.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

I was home, glued to the television like so many others. Just knowing that others were watching this as well made me feel an odd connection to my fellow Americans from coast to coast.

oldenough: "Everyone lost on 9/11." I almost agree with you. One exception I can think of are the oil companies. For them, they have had record earnings since 9/11. For the oil companies, especially Haliburton, 9/11 was like winning the lottery. I loathe their greed.

plutoadobe 8 years, 3 months ago

I was in my car by the Chi Omega Fountain heading to the Education Building parking lot to find a place to park. The Laser told me a crop plane had hit the World Trade Center . . . went to class and one of my fellow student had a radio -- my teacher had no idea what was going on. I went to Molly McGees, had a beer and watched the tv. Then spend the next 2 days, watching the tv . . . over and over and over again.

kg52 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at home but hadn't turned on the TV as I work at home on my computer. My sister called and yelled "Turn on the TV". I stared in disbelief at what I was seeing. My husband called from work to ask "What the hell is going on" and then the second plane hit and I just started crying "Oh God, honey, it is bad, really bad". I think he thought I was exaggerating too but when he got home he realized how really bad it was. I just cried for days at all those poor innocent people - people just like us, working for a living! I watched and watched until I couldn't watch any more - took a break and watched some more. I will never forget!

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

I was on a work field trip out of town. We'd gotten into the truck to start our day, and the DJ was crying and barely coherent. He switched to a news feed, which was explaining that a second plane had just hit. We saw a couple planes go by low overhead, and a little later we heard that all US planes were grounded and being routed back to the nearest airports.

The boss called, and asked if we wanted to cancel the trip and come home. We said no, we'd keep working because we didn't have family in Lawrence we needed to be with. We headed out to our site, which was kind of remote, and started on the project. About forty minutes later, we looked up to see three fighter jets streak across the sky, and unanimously decided to get back in the truck and get our butts back into cell range. We got hold of friends and family, and I remember that shortly after I called my dad to ask him to check on a friend who was working in the Pentagon, the radio said there were three planes still unaccounted for. A little later, they said that two of the three had landed safely but one was still believed to have been hijacked.

The boss called and said, "We're closing the office and recalling everyone from the field. Get back to Lawrence." My co-worker and I made the drive back just listening to the radio, and I remember saying to him, "Part of me just wants to find the people who did this, who made this happen, and bomb them into glass." I also remember saying, "We're going to find reason in this to go back to war in Iraq." I wasn't fully coherent (because I was still thinking that something this large and organized had to be the work of a government, not a terrorist organization), but I remembered that there had been an accusation in the paper that morning that a US spyplane had gone down in the no-fly zone.

All the way home, we kept hearing reports of five-dollar gas, but we never saw it till we drove past Wood Oil in Lawrence. You'd hear someone calling into the radio talk shows to say that in the next town over, there was five-dollar gas, and then you'd drive through the town and it wasn't true. I know that despite all sorts of rumours, very few gas stations were actually cited or prosecuted for gouging.

We got back, and neither of us felt like going home to empty houses, so we went to Henry's for some coffee. I remember the TV was on CNN and they kept just showing the towers over and over again, and finally, Jeff the Barrista said something like, "I think we've seen enough of that for one day," and turned on The Simpsons. I was so glad he did that, because it was literally an entire room of people, just staring in shock and watching the death and fire again and again, unable to break the spell.

breeze 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at home in Lawrence, playing with my 2 year old son with KCUR on the radio. At first it sounded like a movie review, some action movie that we'd never see. Then, when the announcer talked of downtown Kansas City being closed by the police, it dawned on me that something had happened. (We do not own a tv.)

I called into my afternoon job, wondering if downtown Lawrence would likewise close down but it didn't. We continued playing but my son, usually a chatterbox, was more quiet than usual. The rest of the day was oddly quiet. The skies were quiet, there was no plane traffic. Even when we stopped at HyVee on 6th Street on the way home that evening, we passed boom cars which were muted or silent. There was a clear feeling in the air that life had changed.

The day before these sad events, I had photographed a beautiful maple tree which was coming into its autumn leaf colors. The sky behind it was a beautiful clear blue. To me, that photo shows what life was like before all of this 'war on terrorism' and great mistrust of anyone different. I long for peace.

buffalo_star 8 years, 3 months ago

traveling east on clinton parkway I saw a east bound plane rapidly do a right turn and fly south, I had never seen a commerical plane do that and upon arriving at the haskell library saw the towers and then knew why that plane had changed direction so quickly. may our generation see peace for our children's sake

U2freak 8 years, 3 months ago

I was still alseep in a Jayhawker Tower and I woke up around 12 p.m. I came out the building and this German graduate student told me WTC got rammed into by planes [this guy made a lot of jokes I thought he was joking around at that moment] I asked him if he was serious he said he was dead serious...then I headed to Mrs. E's to get my bunch. I remember clearly Mrs. E's was half empty unusually, then I knew something serious was going on. I went back to my room and turned on the TV, I was like what...it was like a real movie...I got a lot of mixed feelings that day as I was studying poli sci and international studies.