Previous   Next

Would you consider owning an electric bicycle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“Probably not. I have a regular bicycle, and I think I would rather have a scooter instead.”

“I don’t think so. I’m too cowardly to ride one. I’m afraid of falling off.”

“Yeah, I want one. That sounds kind of cool.”

“No. It’s not manly enough - it really isn’t.”

Related story

Comments

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

R-I

Ecomonics for Mrs. I

Electric bike at $2000

Bike motor at $425

The $1575 left will buy 525 gallons ($3/gallon) and at 368 MPG you will be able to go 193,000 miles. So you will be able to commute(18 miles a day) for 10,733 days before you have spent the equivalent cost of the electric bike. So if you work five days a week for 50 weeks a year, you will be out of pocket more money in 42.93 years.

I don't take into account the increase of your electric bill because the information on this does not tell me if the power to charge it is the equivalent of a night light or a microwave.

If the problem is that 'losing stones' thing and she doesn't want to see you in daylight, throw the economics out the window.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 7 months ago

Beatrice,

1 stone = 14 lbs.

I am working on getting down to "fighting weight", 2 stone to go...

When I pedal the 9 miles to work, its 29 min to work, 1-1/4 hrs home. The same hill that I can hit 49mph on the way to work (scary because it is gravel), I don't make much more than 3mph on the way up.

I'd rather have that extra 40 mins or so of daylight to be productive. So I say yes to engine on the bike.

I just need you to donate $425.00 to the "R_I save the daylight fund". I know I can get it registered as a non-profit entity, so it would be a tax deduction for you. Mrs. I, "Lawnmower Woman" would have a conniption if I wrote a check for a bicycle engine, and my "slush fund" is earmarked for a different item.

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

RI, just say no to the engine on the bike. If you are weighing in at 16 stone, you need the exercise from peddling. (16 stone -- that comes in at around 323 lbs., no? Maybe I'm a little off on my conversion.) We need to get you down to soap-box weight.

one_more_bob 7 years, 7 months ago

prospector, I'm not as current on livestock law as I should be, but I reckon that if Rancher Ned sees a gator dragging a Herford bull into a pond & Rancher Ned winchesters the gator into a million pieces, no Texas sheriff would find fault with that. That's my take, anyhow. My route to work crosses a bayou & I'm hoping the gators never figure out how to stop the light rail trains & savage the riders.

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

I wouldn't want an electric bike, but I've got an electric toilet.

Electric Toilet

I have an electric toilet that I can sit upon, I have an electric toilet and all my cares are gone, I have an electric toilet, I'm happy as I can be, Cause that's because of the incredible buzz I get when I take a..........break.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

MS_C, I just put a nice basket on the front of my bike. Any day now, I will affix a proper daisy to the front. My family laughed at me until we were out riding the other night and I stopped at the mailbox. Everyone asked in unison: "How are you going to carry all that and steer your bike?" I dumped it all in my basket and rode off smiling! It's so great to be a girl and be allowed to look "silly" with a big basket on the front of a bicycle.

Electric...no. Not practical for where I live.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

R_I

What does the gas number cost?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 7 months ago

I actually am debating putting a gas engine on my bicycle.

368mpg, actually more because I only want to use it on the ride home, uphill.

Less investment.

People can just eat my smoke.

"Park Free or die"

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

OMB Seriously

I am sure farmers and ranchers regularly let the air out of them if found stalking the livestock. Legal?

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

I doubt it. If I'm going to bike somewhere, I enjoy the exercise of pedalling. If I want to go further and was so inclined, I'd ride a motorcycle.

trinity: Very funny!

tb: ??? Now you are opposed to ridding the world of land mines? Huh?

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

OMB

"State law prohibits anyone from killing, harassing, or moving alligators."

What would happen in the senario:

Bob is sitting by the lake, waiting for the sun to come out so he can ride off on his bike. Gator come toward him. Bob pulls his trusty sidearm out and BANG.

The report goes as follows:

Cop: Boy?, you sure you weren't havin' a little target practice and harrassin' them gators?

Bob: No sir, look, I shot him right between the eyes. You just ask anybody that knows me, I'm the worst shot in the world and especially bad when I'm drunk!

Acquittal for sure!

one_more_bob 7 years, 7 months ago

No batteries for me. I'm like totally solar. ms_canada, come on down, but beware.... (9/08/06 - KTRK/KINGWOOD, TX) - Residents living near a popular lake are on alert because of an alligator. The eight foot reptile has been spotted in Lake Houston in the Kingwood area. Bob Rehak snapped some pictures earlier this week of the gator lurking in the water. Animal experts say it's the time of year when alligators are aggressive. It's usually females protecting their hatching eggs. Rehak was recently out with his dog when the gator lunged at his pet. "All of a sudden this huge alligator came up out of nowhere and attacked my dog and another dog it was playing with," said Rehak. "It's really scary. It's frightening how fast those things can move." Rehak's dog got away in time. State law prohibits anyone from killing, harassing, or moving alligators. Call your local parks and wildlife office if you spot one. Experts say it's also best not to swim at dusk this time of year.

Gootsie 7 years, 7 months ago

Maybe in a remake of the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy could ride that electric bicycle and outrun that dastardly tornado.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

ms_canada

Is it winter there already? You could become one of those "snow birds" and take your RV to Houston, a big oil town like yours. You could park it in Bob's driveway and plug the bike into his house.

Since you have been anointed Glenda, the good witch of the north, would you consider an electric broom?

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Indeed, I would like to have an electric bike. I would mount a big basket on front or back and do my grocery shopping. But it would be useless in the winter here. So I guess I will pass on it.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

I am heading to Houston and will be roaming the streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the Electric Bike Man. What a sight that would be. Yipee-hi-ho-ki-ay!

inmate 7 years, 7 months ago

They're completely silent and can go 20 miles? Hmmmmmm

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

One of the pictures was her on the bike but you could not see the bike.

johnadavies 7 years, 7 months ago

This could be a solution to the dangerous conditions on 23rd Street: Close it to anyone not riding an electric bicycle! I can see it now!

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 7 months ago

While we're at it, let's enroll poor Josh in a gender studies class. Most likely, however, the class won't be "manly enough" for him. So then I think the best thing will be to take away his large white pickup, his baseball hat, his goatee, etc., and see if he can't unlearn a few things!

What, did I say "gender," and allude to academia? I hear all the right-extremist haters furiously typing away as I write!

thunderbuns 7 years, 7 months ago

Social genius Brad Pitt says:

"How can I consider owning an electric bike when Bush is planning to pack the Supreme Court with rightwing reactionaries? Can't you see the bigger picture?

If I ride an electric bike then the terrorists have won.

And BTW, I cannot use an electric dishwasher until all minefields are cleared for the world's children."

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 7 months ago

Owning? No. Leasing? No. Renting? No.

But one of my favorite sayings is:

"Ride it like you stole it"

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

Let's all kick in for Joseph and buy him some training wheels.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

If I don't have to go further than me extension cord can reach.

I saw this guy cruising around downtown on it and thought cool.

OMB

Is that a battery in your shorts or are you just happy to see me? I bet you don't avoid puddles so you can feel all tingly down there.

Gootsie 7 years, 7 months ago

OMB, then you would be like Robert Redford in Electric Horseman, only on a bike instead of a horse.

Norma Jeane Baker 7 years, 7 months ago

I dunno. The limit of a 20-mile range before needing to be recharged is quite a drawback. But I guess that's because my normal bicyle route is about 40 miles, and I actually ride it, not want to just sit there.

For those who might use it to run errands, I can see the attraction.

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

i'd like to have one, but i betcha the cord would get all tangled up going 'round the roundies.

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

this thing would be fantastic for the bicycle cops AND it would show that lawrence is environmentally friendly (even though the electricity to juice it up comes from burning coal) AND human power is much more cleaner, except for the sweating.

i can see it now, sitting right next to the $25,000 toyota prius electric cop car. the bicycle cop could have a little red revolving light on top of his or her helmet. they could use it for chasing reckless moped riders and stopping all the bike riders who run the stop signs or ride on the sidewalk (including the boog).

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely, but I would build it myself tather than pay $2000. I also think I would use it to power a portable bone saw or woodchipper that I might have next to a riverbank.

Of couse we should buy several for the homeless shelter and provide roundabout & speedbump training on these.

Bob, I think your electric helmet should include a revolving light.

one_more_bob 7 years, 7 months ago

Heck yes! & I would zip down the street wearing my electric helmet and electric shorts whilst riding my electric bicycle.