Previous   Next

Would you consider owning an electric bicycle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“Probably not. I have a regular bicycle, and I think I would rather have a scooter instead.”

“I don’t think so. I’m too cowardly to ride one. I’m afraid of falling off.”

“Yeah, I want one. That sounds kind of cool.”

“No. It’s not manly enough - it really isn’t.”

Related story

Comments

H_Lecter 8 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely, but I would build it myself tather than pay $2000. I also think I would use it to power a portable bone saw or woodchipper that I might have next to a riverbank.

Of couse we should buy several for the homeless shelter and provide roundabout & speedbump training on these.

Bob, I think your electric helmet should include a revolving light.

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

this thing would be fantastic for the bicycle cops AND it would show that lawrence is environmentally friendly (even though the electricity to juice it up comes from burning coal) AND human power is much more cleaner, except for the sweating.

i can see it now, sitting right next to the $25,000 toyota prius electric cop car. the bicycle cop could have a little red revolving light on top of his or her helmet. they could use it for chasing reckless moped riders and stopping all the bike riders who run the stop signs or ride on the sidewalk (including the boog).

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

i'd like to have one, but i betcha the cord would get all tangled up going 'round the roundies.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

OMB, then you would be like Robert Redford in Electric Horseman, only on a bike instead of a horse.

thunderbuns 8 years, 11 months ago

Social genius Brad Pitt says:

"How can I consider owning an electric bike when Bush is planning to pack the Supreme Court with rightwing reactionaries? Can't you see the bigger picture?

If I ride an electric bike then the terrorists have won.

And BTW, I cannot use an electric dishwasher until all minefields are cleared for the world's children."

johnadavies 8 years, 11 months ago

This could be a solution to the dangerous conditions on 23rd Street: Close it to anyone not riding an electric bicycle! I can see it now!

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

I am heading to Houston and will be roaming the streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the Electric Bike Man. What a sight that would be. Yipee-hi-ho-ki-ay!

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

Indeed, I would like to have an electric bike. I would mount a big basket on front or back and do my grocery shopping. But it would be useless in the winter here. So I guess I will pass on it.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

Maybe in a remake of the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy could ride that electric bicycle and outrun that dastardly tornado.

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

I doubt it. If I'm going to bike somewhere, I enjoy the exercise of pedalling. If I want to go further and was so inclined, I'd ride a motorcycle.

trinity: Very funny!

tb: ??? Now you are opposed to ridding the world of land mines? Huh?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

MS_C, I just put a nice basket on the front of my bike. Any day now, I will affix a proper daisy to the front. My family laughed at me until we were out riding the other night and I stopped at the mailbox. Everyone asked in unison: "How are you going to carry all that and steer your bike?" I dumped it all in my basket and rode off smiling! It's so great to be a girl and be allowed to look "silly" with a big basket on the front of a bicycle.

Electric...no. Not practical for where I live.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't want an electric bike, but I've got an electric toilet.

Electric Toilet

I have an electric toilet that I can sit upon, I have an electric toilet and all my cares are gone, I have an electric toilet, I'm happy as I can be, Cause that's because of the incredible buzz I get when I take a..........break.

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

RI, just say no to the engine on the bike. If you are weighing in at 16 stone, you need the exercise from peddling. (16 stone -- that comes in at around 323 lbs., no? Maybe I'm a little off on my conversion.) We need to get you down to soap-box weight.