Previous   Next

What is your reaction to receiving a parking ticket on campus?

Asked at Jayhawk Boulevard on September 6, 2006

Browse the archives

“I couldn’t believe they caught me, and I think there was a little swearing involved. It sucks, and it’s a little expensive.”

“I knew I was doing something wrong, so it was more of an ‘Oh no, I got caught’ reaction. I’ve deserved all the tickets I’ve gotten. I knew I was parking in the wrong place; I did it anyway and had to pay $20.”

“I threw it on the ground, and then I realized you have to pay them to get your grades. Sometimes I put up a ticket I’ve already gotten to throw them off.”

“I wasn’t really that upset when I got one. Now I just take the bus. I tried riding my bike, but I ended up having to walk it. The hills are really steep, and my bag is too heavy.”

Related story

Comments

Dixie Jones 8 years, 11 months ago

the only one i ever got was up by the union hall and i was leaving and this guy was walking around my car talking to two of his friends i had no clue what he was doing never handed me the ticket or anything he was just like stalking my car about a month later i got it in the mail.... was dirty pool cause i couldnt prove i was NOT parked in the wrong place.... but i got out of it anyway just told the lady my story and she was like ok thats fine disreguard the ticket yes they are pricey...Matts a tricky fellow !

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Matt is fairly clever, even though I'm sure they're aware of that trick.

Happily, I've never received a parking ticket on campus here at Michigan. Actually, I've never gotten any parking tickets. All my tickets have been moving violations. Generally, one car moving into another car. My reaction to those was not so good.

Anyway, I know U of M is happy to give out tickets, too. But one little curiosity: if you're going to be parked at a meter for long enough, it's actually cheaper to get a ticket and pay it right away (they're cheaper if you pay them within 24 hours here) rather than feed the meter.

But the bigger vehicular danger is probably off-campus student housing parking. Apartment building managers are very, very quick to call a tow truck for cars without a permit for that lot, and that is far more expensive than a parking ticket.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

Way to go, Matt! Keep it up and you are destined to live a life of pain and sorrow, as you stumble down that lonely road toward perdition. I been there and know how it all starts. Its that devil-may-care attitude and "blow it out your backside" way of relating to the World that will get you in trouble every time. Good luck, you'll need it.

merrywidow033 8 years, 11 months ago

reaction should be "maybe i should purchase a parking permit". i don't know that it's so much inconvnient as it is laziness of not getting one. time to go to class!

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

uh, it's pretty clear, the rules&such regarding parking at KU. if a late twenty-something nontrad student such as i was, at one time, can deal with it-there's no dang reason young'uns can't. i had that lovely staircrawl every day, behind watson! :-o

samsnewplace 8 years, 11 months ago

blue73harley....hats off to you for the answer of the day! Loved it! and totally agree, did not enjoy my time with the U of K.

DanFreako 8 years, 11 months ago

The only I ever got was on a snow day and out of all the cars that was parked messed up; they hit mine up for a ticket. I got my moneys worth on the money taker that day !!

staff04 8 years, 11 months ago

Just curious, but one of the reasons I never purchased a parking pass was that they oversell them by like double with the assumption that only half of the people would be there at any time. Problem is, if your first class on MWF is at 11am, you can forget about parking on campus...

Do they still do this? I think that frustration is one of the reasons I would probably not have a positive reaction to getting a ticket for being in the wrong zone.

By the time I was finishing up, all of my classes were either in Blake or Fraser, so I would park in that little tree surrounded empty lot on Indiana and climb up the stairs to class...after 7 years, I finally had that place wired...

jonas 8 years, 11 months ago

staff: I'm pretty sure they still oversell tickets. I don't know by how much.

I can't see why anyone buys parking at all. You can go less than 3 or 4 blocks from ALL of the student parking lots and park on a side street for free. It adds maybe 5 minutes, at the most, to your walk, and either way you still have to go up the big hills.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

omb, that worked for James Bond until that expendable henchman ran into the car with a snowmobile. Have you solved that problem yet?

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

Usually my reaction is, "Are you kidding me, the meter ran out two minutes ago?!!!".

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 11 months ago

I couldn't believe they caught me, and I think there was a little swearing involved. It sucks, and it's a little expensive."

• Jerry Duxbury, Kansas University junior, Lawrence

UMMM dude, You were parked!! even I can catch a stopped car....

meg 8 years, 11 months ago

Usually it was I hate KU. I lived in the dorms, and had a permit. But there were never any spots after work, so I had to park in the wrong lot, and try to wake up really early to circle the parking lot with everyone else that didn't get a spot the night before.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I figured snowmobiles wouldn't be such a problem. I was thinking of other moving objects, like bikes. Or football players.

Oh my. Now I'm trying to picture somebody with a boot ON their rear. Thanks a lot.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Pywacket, they chose to build on the hill because it makes it seem more like Mt Olympus, thereby appeasing the faculty gods:)

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't get parking tickets, I pay for the right to park (hurrah for payroll deduction:), arrive a little early, and get miffed when people think they are so special they should be able to park without paying - - in fact, if I'm trying to get to work, can't find parking, and I see cars that do not have permits -- well -- 864-PARK. It's dog eat dog out there. No permit? Don't park! If you are involved in some sort of documentable emergency you can always appeal to the parking board.

sgt, a lot of KU parking is not metered, most of the lots are marked with various signs to let people know which permit is required. I park on Jayhawk Blvd. For people to be parked there without a permit means they either came before the entry booths were staffed or gave a bogus reason to "drive thru" campus and then parked where it is clearly restricted.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceal, that makes sense. Here at UM, the outlying campuses (south [athletic] campus, where I work, and north [engineering, music, art schools] are almost completely permit parking (with a few meters). But the central campus is in the middle of Ann Arbor, and the permit lots are for faculty and staff only (they're blue lots, and students don't qualify for blue permits), so street parking is all that's left, and it's pretty much all metered.

Is the KU campus in the middle of town, like UM, or is it a separate campus like Notre Dame?

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

sgt, it is a kingdom unto itself atop beautiful Mount Oread :):) Our outer borders are subject to mingling with the city street parking. However, those streets are neither metered nor restricted by permit. First come, first served.

As you may have gathered from those discussing walking, the hills can be daunting. In my younger days I considered the climb a challenging way to stay in shape, now however it is just annoying. Nothing like arriving at the office, ready to start the day, with stringy hair, damp clothes and sore feet :)

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

I would climb the Campanile with my rifle under my arm and start taking people out like Charles Whitman did back in the '60s from that tower in Dallas. I'd also ring the bell for every one of my victims.

Or rather, that is what I would have done had I ever gotten a ticket when I lived in Lawrence. Fortunately for all, I didn't. Now, I would just ask "Why did someone steal my car, drive it to Kansas, and then park illegally?"

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

sgt, for an idea of the campus try this link, then click on "Get to know KU"

acg 8 years, 11 months ago

Never got a parking ticket at KU before. If I parked illegally, I would be getting what I deserve, as long as it's clearly marked.

I was in Westport once with friends, and we parked the car (in a spot that was not marked as no parking) and were headed into the club and a rentacop said "Hi ladies" on our way by. Two hours later, I go outside, my car has been towed. The same rentacop was standing there and he said "that was a no parking zone". I said, "if you knew I was parking somewhere I shouldn't have, why didn't you say something?" He said "it was more fun this way". I almost clawed his eyes out. That cost me $275. That was four years ago and I'm still mad about it. :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Got 2 tickets on campus. Once when I was in school and had to deliver an oversized stuffed chair so had to park at the building (just couldn't lug it up all those stairs). I got out of that one by pleading ignorance. The second ticket was when my kiddie was taking a class at Robinson and it was 5 minutes before the "permit parking" was over. Got out of that one too because I told them if I had to pay the $50 ticket for 5 minutes worth of illegal parking, they were going to have to make sure there was an escort there to walk all of the children safely into the building.

My real beef with KU is on the "game days" when you had to move your properly permitted car because parking for basketball trumped an education. GRRRRRRR!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

PY, that is brilliant! I now have a use for all that old lipstick I don't wear!!! You should start an advice column..."Hints from Pywacket."

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Ooh, that's tough -- street parking without meters or restrictions. Off-campus student housing here is like that, and it is nearly impossible to find parking in those areas for most of the day during the school year.

Separate campuses make it a lot easier for the university to extract a pound of flesh for parking, too. My brother is going to Notre Dame, and it, too, is a kingdom unto itself, and thus, they control every bit of parking on campus. No city streets. It makes parking fun. Fortunately for him, he bought a house just over a mile from campus, so his life is a little bit easier.

I think the moral of the story is that university parking is lousy, no matter what.

Sue, that's the nice thing about UM's athletic campus being separate from central campus -- parking for athletic events doesn't screw over many people.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

RI, "Lord help the sister, who comes between me and my mister . . . . and Lord help the mister who comes between me and my paycheck." :-P

btw, I put in a good word with the parking department for Mrs. Irreverent. I somehow sense that she has enough to handle without having to cope with parking tickets.

74jbird 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Pywacket's on a roll today -- clear the road :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

PY, where were you yesterday when I was mowing my lawn? Nobody was fighting me for the opportunity to drive around the yard for a couple hours. (My idiot neighbor ran over his metal leaf rake while mowing in the dark and now it looks like a nice piece of yard art.):):):)

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

R-I: just because someone traps a weasel doesn't mean we can't feel sorry for the one who is sent in to remove it from the trap. (Of course, I'm not calling you a weasel. I'm just using this as a metaphor of how others might emphasize with Mrs. I. for having "trapped" you in the first place.)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Said rake would make great hair for Donald Trump. (BTW, do I even need to tell all these fine perseptive people that Mrs I. was properly begged to marry you? The story I got was that you were sniveling and clawing at her leg and she eventually tired of it and just said yes to avoid being stalked.) Nobody that is "forced, lured, and trapped into matrimony" would dare spend $40 on a pair of socks to be wed in! The truth comes out Muhahahahaha!

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

I just assumed she was very young, a naive little blossum, totally unaware of the wolf in sheep's clothing :-P . . . oh, no wait, that was my excuse for getting married . . . both times :- . . .nevermind

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

No more, please!! My heart is breaking. You poor, poor man!! You are truly a victim . . . and you even have to mow! There's just no justice in this world anymore.

Is that better?:)

Hasta manana, y'all!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Py, I, too, will turn on a dime to leave a pretty growing in the yard. Glad I'm not the only one! I was called to do "grunt labor" for Stan Herd once. Since I had just given birth the week prior, I opted out. It wasn't anything creative anyway...I think he was doing the "Farmland" logo. I guess whatever pays the bills... I still admire the guy. Now the guys that do the crop art all use GPS systems. (Heck, maybe Stan did too. I don't know when that tech. came about)

RI, nothing says "I love you" like $40 socks! You know, if you deduct those socks over the years...still, I think you should have gone with the butt tattoo.

sweetpeagj 8 years, 11 months ago

My husband recieved a parking ticket on canpus when he went for a job interview. He parked where they told him too park and I got the ticket nbecaise it ewas my car. I paid the fine and chewed oujt the person that told him to park there. They should have gotten the ticket for lousy information. It made me md and he wasn't happy either. Dang people. Maybe that is how they pay for all the tuition that they miss out on everytime they raise the tuition for that school.

Tychoman 8 years, 11 months ago

Dude I parked my car in the room at the bottom of the Carillon and I got a ticket. Those fascist pigs! --KU students.

Reticent Irreverant, you should have just gone barefoot. Give your inlaws the scare of their life. Besides just remember, all men are trapped into matrimony and eventually have to mow. Women are evil. They've got the bug-eyes going on. Congratulations! :)

..........okay sorry about the bugeyes, I'll be in my office.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

You'll mow and you'll like it, da**it.

(just doing my part for womanhood)