Previous   Next

What do you think would make a good symbol of Lawrence’s character?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 2, 2006

Browse the archives

“One of the local music festivals, because Lawrence has a great local music scene.”

“I think Mass. Street is a pretty good symbol for Lawrence. Everybody knows it and loves it.”

“The first thing that comes to my mind is Allen Fieldhouse.”

“I think Mass. Street itself is a good one. I think it has something for everyone.”

Related story

Comments

ModSquadGal 7 years, 6 months ago

Ban Lunacy Detector

b_asinbeer has the best idea so far... a roundabout!

Curious 7 years, 6 months ago

I think the character of Lawrence is best represented by

an uptilted nose, downward looking eyes, uplifed eyebrows and slightly pursed lips

a "why am I part of Kansas?" posture. "I am too cosmopolitan to be part of this."

If only you knew how very silly your pretensions are.

brotherskeeper 7 years, 6 months ago

Your right about the music scene being bad. I mean there are only about 2 or 3 bands playing every night somewhere. There should be ! - the this city's population is well over a million and in a very very densely populated state. -Give me a break... want a huge music scene.. move out of the sticks.

For a farm town with a college in it I would say things are pretty good here.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

I joked around because I was reminded of the saying, "Clothes don't make the man.."

Symbols don't make the character of our city.

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

i was thinking i forgot all about the cell phone ban. Thanks! i'll add it to the list.

ban cell phones in cars and all other driver distractions

ban business friendly attitudes

ban people who want to move here

ban people who voice a dissenting opinion with our city leaders, tell them to move away

ban new growth

ban manufacturers

ban smoking

ban medium size retail stores

ban the automobile by implimenting traffic hazards everywhere.

ban balloons at car dealerships

ban higher paying wages by restricting tax abatements

ban affordable housing

ban good planning

ban walmart

GardenMomma 7 years, 7 months ago

Lunacy, you forgot to ban cell phones in cars and all other driver distractions.

Sigmund 7 years, 7 months ago

An "MT" bus going around a roundabout with the PLC Kommissioners waving from the windows and driven by a Bozo. The slogan on the side of the bus is "Moving Lawrence Forward, Into the Past."

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

pelliott, I was contemplating said sculpture last Wednesday. It looks to me not so much a phoenix as it does an angel (since it is obviously a man with wings and not a bird at all...other than the wings, of course). I got the intended concept and it is a wonderful piece of sculpture...but too vague as a symbol of Lawrence as many people just don't get it..."Is that a supposed to be a phoenix rising from the ashes of Quantrill's raid or is that supposed to be an angel? If so, what would an angel be doing rising from a burning building?" He should have just made it a phoenix!

pelliott 7 years, 7 months ago

I like a picture of Mass street. It was a long battle to keep it one of the best downtowns in Kansas. It took a lot of work and compromises over the decades. It is worth keeping. Mass street is a symbol of much of the archetecture, diversity, and vitality of the town. While Allen Field house and the Jayhawk are important to Lawrence, they are basically just Ku symbols. Lawrence is a lot more than that. My favorite symbol of Lawrence is the phoenix. My favorite example of that is in good old North Lawence at the depot. (thanks Jim).

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

Symbol?

A gold toilet bowl. No matter how many times you jiggle the handle, it keeps running.

good_kitty 7 years, 7 months ago

Are you kidding Meghan? What music scene? Larrytown is a big disappointment when it comes to live music, seriously.

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

My team would destroy! Bea and Bobs are unBeatable.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

As for TOB, he will have to stand up or fall down on that issue himself.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

Sorry Sue, no large white fans, just rabid, verklempt, out of the realm of reality posters waving their arms frantically. I am sure there are enough to make you comfortable. The crossing guard would be another option.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

prospector, will I get a fan club? I don't mean people that actually like me but some peons to wave large white fans towards me to give me that "wind blown look?" Is so, count me in. I volunteer TOB for the speedo since he'll be drunk anyway. (Make it pleather!) Yeeeoooowww!

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

TOB wrote:

"I'll probably just drink beeer with you and curse at folks."

I am sure I will need help with the beer but sorry, Arminius, John 1945, Howard Beale, macon, and SHOEMAKER will take care of the other part.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 7 months ago

Cool! I get to be on Bea's team! To be honest with you, Prospector, I'll probably just drink beeer with you and curse at folks.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 7 months ago

OK, sounds great!

I pity the fool!

Too funny!

Thanks.

Marion.

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

A "Tagteam Royale Cage Match to the Death"

Featuring

Kawila/Marion/conservativeman/rightthinker/enforcer and her etals Verses Xenophonschild/swbsow/holygraileale/the brothers in Bobness/observer/Beatrice/Tychoman/Bozo

Our leader, Sunflower-Sue, ALL HONOR TO HER NAME, would officiate with Badger as technical advisor and explainer of all things because no one does it better. Ms-Canada will be the unofficial sage. Since she is not a resident, she can not serve in an official capacity, but we will listen to her and do what she says. Gootsie would be in charge of logistics, primarily, who carries the round cards around in a bikini or speedo.

I will have the beer concession and promise to drink all the profits.

Look for it on a roundabout near you. Just follow the balloons.

This project is for entertainment purpose only. It is still in the evolutionary planning stage, so suggestions and comment are welcome.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 7 months ago

How about a picture of a frog wearing granny glasses, sporting a Che Guevara t-shirt, Birkenstocks and smoking a joint?

Of course the frog should be from one of the more politically correct gender groups!

Thanks.

Marion.

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

A crying towel. Lunacy, you get the first one.

Clint Gentry 7 years, 7 months ago

A hillbilly with a gun at his head...

prospector 7 years, 7 months ago

Gootsie

I blinked and almost missed it. I never have stayed there, but I know where to stay now. The flag has given them more PR since the Dalton gang was there.

small_fish_in_small_pond 7 years, 7 months ago

A photo opp with all of the town's homeless in a group picture...

Gootsie 7 years, 7 months ago

haha Prospector. I'm sure you've been through Meade, haven't you?

ruette 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, Kookamooka! Finally an intelligent response!

Kookamooka 7 years, 7 months ago

Symbol of Lawrences Character? Wow. That's a tough one. I'd probably start with the color blue. Maybe a blue dot, representing our liberal leaning in a sea of red. Yes. a sea of red with a blue dot. Inside the blue dot would be....hmmmm....a flame, representing our passion. Like the flame sculpture and langston hughes poem. It also "kindles" the image of Moses before the burning bush which is the KU crest symbol. I also like the flame because Quantrill burned our city and it came back like a phoenix! The Civic Choir did a piece called Phoenix of the Prairie which was commissioned by them in honor of the sesquecentenial. Yep. Red and Blue, even though they are KU colors, are significant to our political leanings. Of course, they don't have to be Crimson and royal blue,they could be blood red and sky blue.

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

...ban business friendly attitudes

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

how about the circle with a diagonal line going through it? - the "ban" symbol.

lawrence is all about ban this and ban that, brought to you by the "Progressives":

ban people who want to move here

ban new growth

ban manufacturers

ban smoking

ban medium size retail stores

ban the automobile by implimenting traffic hazards everywhere.

ban balloons at car dealerships

ban higher paying wages by restricting tax abatements

ban affordable housing

ban good planning

ban walmart

...that pretty much sums it up. if you can think of other bans, by all means add to my list.

thunderbuns 7 years, 7 months ago

their tap water................

justsomewench 7 years, 7 months ago

That dollar thingy they tried to get everyone to start using. Appropos for so many reasons.

j_elmy 7 years, 7 months ago

A car stuck in a pot hole? (I think MANY could agree with this one!)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Goofy. Unless, like our beloved Pluto, they will demote him next and he will no longer be a character...just a sketch.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 7 months ago

A music,art and food fair twice a year downtown accompanied with a bike race as the grand finale.

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

a clown holding a fistful of balloons.

ruette 7 years, 7 months ago

Symbols? These sound more like landmarks to me! So what's wrong with Lawrence's traditional symbol, the phoenix? And the Jayhawk - there's a symbol that works for a lot of folks. Symbols, folks, not events, not architecture! Something that connotes pictorially the character of the community!