Previous   Next

What do you think would make a good symbol of Lawrence’s character?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 2, 2006

Browse the archives

“One of the local music festivals, because Lawrence has a great local music scene.”

“I think Mass. Street is a pretty good symbol for Lawrence. Everybody knows it and loves it.”

“The first thing that comes to my mind is Allen Fieldhouse.”

“I think Mass. Street itself is a good one. I think it has something for everyone.”

Related story

Comments

ruette 8 years, 8 months ago

Symbols? These sound more like landmarks to me! So what's wrong with Lawrence's traditional symbol, the phoenix? And the Jayhawk - there's a symbol that works for a lot of folks. Symbols, folks, not events, not architecture! Something that connotes pictorially the character of the community!

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

a clown holding a fistful of balloons.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 8 months ago

A music,art and food fair twice a year downtown accompanied with a bike race as the grand finale.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Goofy. Unless, like our beloved Pluto, they will demote him next and he will no longer be a character...just a sketch.

j_elmy 8 years, 8 months ago

A car stuck in a pot hole? (I think MANY could agree with this one!)

justsomewench 8 years, 8 months ago

That dollar thingy they tried to get everyone to start using. Appropos for so many reasons.

lunacydetector 8 years, 8 months ago

how about the circle with a diagonal line going through it? - the "ban" symbol.

lawrence is all about ban this and ban that, brought to you by the "Progressives":

ban people who want to move here

ban people who voice a dissenting opinion with our city leaders, tell them to move away

ban new growth

ban manufacturers

ban smoking

ban medium size retail stores

ban the automobile by implimenting traffic hazards everywhere.

ban balloons at car dealerships

ban higher paying wages by restricting tax abatements

ban affordable housing

ban good planning

ban walmart

...that pretty much sums it up. if you can think of other bans, by all means add to my list.

Kookamooka 8 years, 8 months ago

Symbol of Lawrences Character? Wow. That's a tough one. I'd probably start with the color blue. Maybe a blue dot, representing our liberal leaning in a sea of red. Yes. a sea of red with a blue dot. Inside the blue dot would be....hmmmm....a flame, representing our passion. Like the flame sculpture and langston hughes poem. It also "kindles" the image of Moses before the burning bush which is the KU crest symbol. I also like the flame because Quantrill burned our city and it came back like a phoenix! The Civic Choir did a piece called Phoenix of the Prairie which was commissioned by them in honor of the sesquecentenial. Yep. Red and Blue, even though they are KU colors, are significant to our political leanings. Of course, they don't have to be Crimson and royal blue,they could be blood red and sky blue.

ruette 8 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Kookamooka! Finally an intelligent response!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

haha Prospector. I'm sure you've been through Meade, haven't you?

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

A crying towel. Lunacy, you get the first one.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

prospector, will I get a fan club? I don't mean people that actually like me but some peons to wave large white fans towards me to give me that "wind blown look?" Is so, count me in. I volunteer TOB for the speedo since he'll be drunk anyway. (Make it pleather!) Yeeeoooowww!

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

My team would destroy! Bea and Bobs are unBeatable.

good_kitty 8 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding Meghan? What music scene? Larrytown is a big disappointment when it comes to live music, seriously.

pelliott 8 years, 8 months ago

I like a picture of Mass street. It was a long battle to keep it one of the best downtowns in Kansas. It took a lot of work and compromises over the decades. It is worth keeping. Mass street is a symbol of much of the archetecture, diversity, and vitality of the town. While Allen Field house and the Jayhawk are important to Lawrence, they are basically just Ku symbols. Lawrence is a lot more than that. My favorite symbol of Lawrence is the phoenix. My favorite example of that is in good old North Lawence at the depot. (thanks Jim).

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

pelliott, I was contemplating said sculpture last Wednesday. It looks to me not so much a phoenix as it does an angel (since it is obviously a man with wings and not a bird at all...other than the wings, of course). I got the intended concept and it is a wonderful piece of sculpture...but too vague as a symbol of Lawrence as many people just don't get it..."Is that a supposed to be a phoenix rising from the ashes of Quantrill's raid or is that supposed to be an angel? If so, what would an angel be doing rising from a burning building?" He should have just made it a phoenix!

Sigmund 8 years, 8 months ago

An "MT" bus going around a roundabout with the PLC Kommissioners waving from the windows and driven by a Bozo. The slogan on the side of the bus is "Moving Lawrence Forward, Into the Past."

GardenMomma 8 years, 8 months ago

Lunacy, you forgot to ban cell phones in cars and all other driver distractions.

lunacydetector 8 years, 8 months ago

i was thinking i forgot all about the cell phone ban. Thanks! i'll add it to the list.

ban cell phones in cars and all other driver distractions

ban business friendly attitudes

ban people who want to move here

ban new growth

ban manufacturers

ban smoking

ban medium size retail stores

ban the automobile by implimenting traffic hazards everywhere.

ban balloons at car dealerships

ban higher paying wages by restricting tax abatements

ban affordable housing

ban good planning

ban walmart

ModSquadGal 8 years, 7 months ago

Ban Lunacy Detector

b_asinbeer has the best idea so far... a roundabout!

brotherskeeper 8 years, 7 months ago

Your right about the music scene being bad. I mean there are only about 2 or 3 bands playing every night somewhere. There should be ! - the this city's population is well over a million and in a very very densely populated state. -Give me a break... want a huge music scene.. move out of the sticks.

For a farm town with a college in it I would say things are pretty good here.

Curious 8 years, 7 months ago

I think the character of Lawrence is best represented by

an uptilted nose, downward looking eyes, uplifed eyebrows and slightly pursed lips

a "why am I part of Kansas?" posture. "I am too cosmopolitan to be part of this."

If only you knew how very silly your pretensions are.