Previous   Next

What is your favorite Halloween movie?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 31, 2006

Browse the archives

The Nightmare Before Christmas.’ I think it’s the soundtrack and general ambiance of the film.”

Hocus Pocus.’ I watched it over and over when I was younger, and it kind of became a tradition with my friends and I.”

Halloween.’ The music is always a big part of scary movies, but Michael Myers is the one that set it off for me.”

Sleepy Hollow.’ It’s a good Halloween movie, and it’s not too scary. I don’t like really scary movies.”

Comments

justsomewench 11 years ago

i second hottruckinmama. (good choice!)

otherwise, any wedding video. especially mine.

Centrist 11 years ago

Any video of a Lawrence City Commission meeting ...

Sigmund 11 years ago

Rocky Horror and Little Shop of Horrors (the more recent one with Steve Martin as the sadistic dentist).

samsnewplace 11 years ago

Friday the 13th series, Halloween series, 13 Ghosts, Why Lies Beneath, The Ring, Sooooooooo many good ones!!! Love them all!

Shelby 11 years ago

horror movies generally suck, probably more than any other genre

Katara 11 years ago

I haven't seen a scary movie since Poltergeist. I didn't sleep for weeks without obsessively checking my closet.

I also did the huge jump in & out of bed if I had to get up in the middle of the night. You know, just in case something was under the bed waiting to grab my ankles and get me.

Ceallach 11 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula!!!!

Not related to Halloween, but "In Cold Blood" is the movie I will never allow myself to see again. The fact that it was a true story made it deeply horrifying. I wanted that door to be locked sooooo bad, but I knew it wasn't and that they would all die. That movie haunted me for a long time.

MasterBlue 11 years ago

Jaws I and II??

that music is worse than 'Halloween'.

tyger_lily 11 years ago

Stephen King's The Shining that Stanley Kubrick directed. Something about Jack Nicholson that really ups the creep factor in that one.

bangaranggerg 11 years ago

Jiminy Glick Goes to LaLawood... if you really want to be so scared you'll cry yourself to sleep

Linda Aikins 11 years ago

The guy who played the tuba in Jaws just died in the last week. Very sad.

I don't do scary movies since Mothra.

pagan_idolator 11 years ago

Exorcist 111 scared the crap out of me. You only need to watch 1 and 111. Exorcist 11 was a piece of garbage but 1 and 111 are based on William Peter Blatty books. Havent seen Last House on the Left for some reason but it sounds like my kind of movie.

sgtwolverine 11 years ago

Anything with Keanu Reeves. I am terrified by his total inability to display emotion.

Grundoon Luna 11 years ago

The Exorcists still scares the livin' crap outta me! I can barely stand it!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 11 years ago

Nothing compares to The Exorcist.

Of all the "real-life" scary stuff, nothing has been documented more thoroughly than demon possession. Ask any missionary who's spent time in a primative culture and they will tell you "I wasn't sure before if I believed in that stuff... but now I do".

killjoy 11 years ago

Roundabout of Souls Last Roundabout on the Left

sunflower_sue 11 years ago

Definitely "It's the Great Pumpkin..."
For halloween "shorts," I like Warner Bros Bugs w/ the old witch, Bugs w/ Dracula, (OK, I like all the cartoons WB did).
"Hocuscadabra!" "Alacapocus!"...Too funny!

Since today is "National Increase Your Pyschic Powers Day," I'm going to practice mine now... "I'm seeing that some of you will be walking around outdoors tonight and not quite yourselves. Some of you will be hiding in dark rooms. Some of you will be drunk. Some of you will be...oops! Sorry, can't post that one but WOW! What an image."

Shelby 11 years ago

Eight Crazy Nights with Adam Sandler

So offensive, and neither funny nor clever. AT ALL.

This movie has made my life less meaningful by virtue of its very existence. I only got about 35 minutes into it before turning it off and subsequently rethinking mankind's place in the universe.

Linda Endicott 11 years ago

Yeah, 13 Ghosts and What Lies Beneath were really good. And you're right, Beatrice, the original Night of the Living Dead was great. I've watched it several times, and I still jump and scream. It's creepy from the very beginning, before anything even happens.

I wonder if Sci-Fi will be doing a Twilight Zone marathon this year?

Eric Beightel 11 years ago

I LOVE scary movies, here's a quick top 10 (roughtly) in no particular order:

1.) The Exorcist I & III 2.) The Shining 3.) Halloween I, III, IV 4.) Friday the 13th I, II, IV, V 5.) Nightmare on Elm Street (only the original) 6.) The Ring 7.) The Amityville Horror (original) 8.) Saw I,II, and probably III (I reluctantly include them, I don't want to like them, but they are very engaging and I haven't seen III yet) 9.) Helter Skelter (nothing scarier than real life) 10.) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

sunflower_sue 11 years ago

Goots, I can't see the numbers but I predict someone this week will win a sum of money.

Another good movie: "Young Frankenstein."

sunflower_sue 11 years ago

RI, didn't have to, I already know what's in it.

jonas 11 years ago

I'm somewhat empty on this. I can't say that there are any specifically halloween movies that I think are stellar performances. I seem to remember, however, that the Simpsons have some pretty excellent halloween specials.

Laura Watkins 11 years ago

I adore Young Frankenstein!

I also like watching most Hitchcock movies to celebrate Halloween. I just watched Suspiria and that was REALLY good.

smiles 11 years ago

I just put "Last House on the Left" on my netflix list - I can't wait!!

sunflower_sue 11 years ago

Of course! I would never miss an opportunity to embarrass my children.

KSChick1 11 years ago

any of the Halloween movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original or the recent one with Jessica Biel), American Werewolf in London, Hocus Pocus and last but not least It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Have not seen Carnival of Souls but have heard it is pretty good.

Linda Aikins 11 years ago

OH YES! TOB - The Last House on the Left. I will NEVER see it or Deliverance again.

Hahahaha hit me!

Sue, any tips on lottery numbers today? Have you ever seen the headline, Psychic Wins Lottery ?

beatrice 11 years ago

The original "Night of the Living Dead." Nothing scarier than real life.

Linda Endicott 11 years ago

I don't like really gory stuff, so with short films, my favorites are Charlie Brown and the old Disney animated version of Sleepy Hollow.

With full length movies, my favorite is Hocus Pocus. The Shining was good, too. Carrie is also one of my favorites. I've seen it countless times, but I still jump at the end when that hand comes up through the ground...

trinity 11 years ago

great call, hottruckinmomma! that's mine too! :)

hottruckinmama 11 years ago

Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

Kuku_Kansas 11 years ago

I like the Halloween movies.

Gotta love that music when Michael Myers is near-by.

Linda Aikins 11 years ago

MD - how are you? Congrats to the Goddess!!!

Shelby 11 years ago

I remember seeing the masonic temple downtown from an auto garage/mechanic across the street, presumably where The Orient is now.

Shelby 11 years ago

TOB - this film was made when there were actual SERVICE stations downtown.

Katara 11 years ago

Well, yeah but not by ZOMBIES!!!

Cue White Zombie "Living Dead Girl". Rowr!

acg 11 years ago

When I was a kid it was Halloween. It scared the crap out of me. Now that I'm older I don't find that one scary anymore. I haven't seen a truly scary movie in years. The horror/thriller movies from the past 10 years aren't scary, just disturbing. I have to say, though, disturbing or not, Hostel was one of the best horror movies I've seen in many many moons.

Linda Aikins 11 years ago

Hey - I happened across the Carnival of Souls PBS show. It was fun to see some of the folks of Lawrence back in the late 80s who were attending the event. I've never watched it either. The lady said she had to sit in the Kansas River in the car for hours at a time while they filmed the shots. BRRRR!!!

Ceallach 11 years ago

RI, not the "IT" girl . . this IT appeared like a clown and ate little children :-\

sreynold1 11 years ago

Carnival of Souls....Don't know if someone mentioned yet...Someone told me that the bridge scene was filmed at the old Lecompton bridge. It's a great "B" movie.

conservativepunker 11 years ago

Any of the original Universal monster films--Dracula with Lugosi, Frankenstein with Karloff, or The Wolfman with Chaney Jr.

Linda Endicott 11 years ago

Reticent, IT was a Stephen King movie.

Which reminds me of Pet Semetary...now that's a scary movie. I read the book first, and even just READING it scared the crap out of me.

ruette 11 years ago

What scares me most is the proliferation of rotten grammar exemplified by Emily Meyer. Don't these cute little blonde freshmen have to take English at KU?

SpeedRacer 11 years ago

Carnival of Souls is one of the Monsterfest movies on AMC. You can see it for free on the Sunflower Cable free On Demand. I saw it the other night for the umpteenth time.

H_Lecter 11 years ago

What a night...I'm completely out of the airline-size bottles of liquor.

sbolin 11 years ago

Never before have I been ashamed to admit that I live in Lawrence. Tonight while out trick or treating with my family we noticed a group of white male kids dressed up as klansmen knocking on peoples door saying "open up "n" we know your in there", and white power and people would open there door laugh and give the boys candy. Although a few people did tell them that it was unacceptable and to move on. Were have we gone wrong, what are we teaching our children. We as a society have come too far. But I guess ignorance is taught.

FireMarshall_Bill 11 years ago