Previous   Next

What are you going to be for Halloween?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 30, 2006

Browse the archives

“I’m going to be a gold digger. I’m going to wear a gold dress with lots of jewelry and little gold shovels on the sides.”

“I want to be Rose Tyler from Dr. Who. It’s an easy costume to put together, and Dr. Who rules.”

“Fred Flintstone. It was my wife’s decision. She’s going to be Wilma, and we’re going to some costume parties in Kansas City.”

“Either Tinkerbell or Betty from the Betty and Veronica comics.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 1 month ago

Our 10 year daughter decided to be a bright idea. No further comment.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

There are some who (will) call me. . . . Tim?

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 1 month ago

Evidently Kat doesn't read the Lawrence.com blogs...

"On the other hand, if you're a woman and you wear this "Gold Digger" [note the miniature golden shovels at the waist] costume, you might still get laid. But don't expect him to stick around for breakfast."

Dani Davey 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to be a law student. My costume comes complete with a desk in the basement of the law library and a ton of old Kansas Reporters.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

One year I had the hubby dressed all in black except two bands of red around his ankles. One band marked "N" and the other "S." Then, I stuck a bunch of little baby chickens all over him.

ControlFreak 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going as Darth Walmart.

Blue vest, smiley face mask, black cape and lightsaber.

juscin3 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, I'm goin to be myself. Daughter is going to be Little Red Riding Hood. Got her a basket, told her that she could put our pom puppy in it and carry him around...Was out Sat. night and was heading home, when two guys were crossing the street. One of them looked like a golfer and the other one was inside a metal trash can with the lid on his head and had paper coming out of the can. He looked pretty cool. Thought that was a good idea!
As for the gold digger person above, well, I agree with what Marion said...how can you tell the difference? LOL

Hope everyone has a great day!

number3of5 8 years, 1 month ago

For many years I dressed as a belly dancer. Of course I was much younger then. Later I switched to a witch costume. Fit me pretty good in more ways than one. This year I think I'll change to an octopus because it can be loose fitting and comfortable.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

IP, maybe you could just carry around a book and intermittently during the evening, you could just file things into Chapter 13. It would be less difficult to make and, of course, we are looking for the easy way out.

libraffe 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going as Pumkin from Flavor of Love.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 1 month ago

I did laugh Marion.

I'm sure you'll be attacked in no time at all.

classclown 8 years, 1 month ago

A panhandler.

"Say brother. Can you spare a Snickers?"

JHawker 8 years, 1 month ago

Dude!!! i love Sinterklaas!!!!! as for me.. i'm Heidi for Halloween..... ;-)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, ms_c, I would have been OMB for halloween, but I was afraid of being removed from trick-or-treating for no apparent reason.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

Innocuous, that was good. Now I've got Don't Fear and other songs off of Agents of Fortune running 'round in my head now. Thanks!

40,000 men and women everyday . . .

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt - I would love to see that costume. Could you please come knock on my door, I am making delicius caramel apples to give to all good little boys and girls. You may just qualify. Say, I just thought, maybe you and TOB could get together and go out as twins.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

Boudica. I've got a big sword and I am looking for Ceasar.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

I belong to the order of RI and TOB. For Halloween I plan to be a hermit, dress in a sweatsuit with thick warm socks, turn all the front lights off, spend the evening in the back of the house watching a movie and eating popcorn, fruit and cheese :P

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Irish Prince, when you're Irish, everyday is a holiday!! Green or Orange, it's all good :)

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

I am going to be a great big caramel apple and hand out little baby apples. Cause I am really very sweet at heart.

Teapot9 8 years, 1 month ago

A Duke lacrosse player with the name "Proovit" on the back.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, Ms. C, then your insides are matching your outside 'cuz you are one sweetie pie. That's for sure!

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to be the mother of small children going from door to door to beg for candy from strangers. I can't wait, either. My stepson is going to be death, which he's really excited about and my one year old daughter is going to be tinkerbell and it's the cutest outfit ever! I can't get her to leave the fairy wings alone and tiara alone, though.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

ceallach - oh the trip down south, we must be nuts or just nuts about the grandkids. Drove for 6 hours, checked into hotel, had a birthday dinner with No. 1 daughter, went to theater, thoroughly enjoyed a cast of 160 high schoolers do an exellent job of The Snow Queen. No. 4 grandson was one of the Vikings. Took the kid out for pizza after, he said he had eaten nothing but corn dogs all week. They did 8 performances. Next morning drove the 6 hours back home. Was it worth it??? Heck yes, they are only young once. Sue - lets meet up at ceal's door at 8pm. She should be right in the midst of her movie by then.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

A_A, great choice, you can never go wrong by emulating an Irish girl :)

sue, still not feeling better? bummer!

ms_c, if your caramel apples are a good as the rest of your cooking it would be worth another trip to Edmonton :) How was your trip down south?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to go to Ms_C's for Halloween. And, just to be onery, I may stop by Ceal's house and knock continually until she comes to the door.:) Ceal, I'm afraid I've infected the hubby. He is presently napping on the couch. Poor baby. The dog is thrilled to have someone to curl up with, though.

BunE 8 years, 1 month ago

Kim Jong Il

or

Steve Irwin (i have a plastic manta ray to tape to my chest.)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to be an obese man who will die before his time. Very scary, and no costume required.

killjoy 8 years, 1 month ago

the guy throwing the lawn darts from the roof

chapdaddy 8 years, 1 month ago

Land Shark, from Saturday Night Live. Classic sketch.

(Doorbell rings) "Who is it?"

"Candy-gram." "Plumber" "Florist."

"You're not that silly Land-shark, are you?"

"Just a dolphin, maam."

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Come around to the back and I will put the movie on "pause" then we can watch the "drainage ditch cam" in Houston and look for our_martyred_bob (omb for short :)

SpeedRacer 8 years, 1 month ago

Went to a party Saturday night as Joe Dirt (unfortunately, there were some real mullets there...they didn't get the joke).

CarRamrod 8 years, 1 month ago

Just wanted to say how much joy jonas has brought me in referencing Monty Python...

Katara 8 years, 1 month ago

Posted by chapdaddy (anonymous) on October 30, 2006 at 1:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Land Shark, from Saturday Night Live. Classic sketch.

(Doorbell rings) "Who is it?"

"Candy-gram." "Plumber" "Florist."

"You're not that silly Land-shark, are you?"

"Just a dolphin, maam." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Teehee. Our maintenance man at work sounds exactly like that so when he knocks on the restrooms and announces "maintenance", you hear "candygram", "florist", the whole routine.

I still have no idea what I will be. The kids are all set up though.

We have death, a ninja & a princess who is also a cat.

Go figure.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Is that really him confrontation? I didn't figure he'd be so old. Usually old people are wise and stuff. ; )

billybeanbag 8 years, 1 month ago

The party I'm attending isn't until next weekend, but I'm going as Arnie Czernik, Rodney Dangerfield's character from Caddyshack!

I just hope someone gets it! ;-)

Shelby 8 years, 1 month ago

saw a kim jong il at a party on saturday, it was really cool.

don't forget to periodically croon "I'm so ronery..."

justthefacts 8 years, 1 month ago

Years ago my parents went to a Halloween party as a brick and a brick layer (paint cardboard box red [with holes for arms and face] for one person and the other person dresses as mason worker).

The best costumes for males are going drag - everyone loves to see men in dresses! Just put on a cheerleader outfit and enjoy.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

BunE, No to Steve Irwin. It's too fresh and he was too loved. Better to go as Tim Tredwell.

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

I would would gladly give Kat every dollar I have, no costume required!

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

carramrod: You should see the hat. Sadly, it does not actually belong to me, but it is a great replica of the Tim hat. It's going to be a great consume.

fabian_zimbabwe 8 years, 1 month ago

Mark Mangino...a fistful of cash in one hand, a large turkey leg in the other.

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation - That's not Marion.

That's Marion dressed as John from CHiPs.

Nice costume Marion.

Confrontation 8 years, 1 month ago

Bone777: That's pretty funny! Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to be a hermit. I'm staying home, and will have the porch light OFF and not answer the door.

CarRamrod 8 years, 1 month ago

jonas, where did you find such a costume? Will you have a bunny with sharp pointy teeth, too? Or firecrackers for your explosive capabilities?

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

I found a wizards robe several years ago in a costume shop in san diego when I was visiting my folks. I wasn't sure where the hat came from but I just ran a quick google search out of curiosity and found 4 places to get one, but it was given to one of my friends by another of my friends for Christmas.

Looks like this

Just need a beard. But I hadn't thought about the rabbit. I might have to find one. Good idea!

Katara 8 years, 1 month ago

I put on my wizard's robe and hat...

jonas, please tell me you will be doing the accent.

The Holy Grrrrrrrrrrrraile?!?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

oh sunny-sue, hope you're gettin' better, glad your dog is curling up with you; that promotes healing!

will be hermit like crazyks. when we've had our light on we rarely get more than five kids so gave up on it years ago.

now, cealach, what movie will that be you're showing? have fun!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

gnome, good to hear from you! I'm very slowly getting over this crud but my family is happy that I still haven't much of a voice.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Why is it that when I can't sleep the OTS question doesn't ever change early. I need something to do!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

oh, I'm sure s-s that's at least an overstatement! get well!

and re the collumn: Dr. Who does rule.

coastiej 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going as the Nick Nolte DUI Mugshot... the unbuttoned hawaiian shirt, crazy hair....