Previous   Next

Why is it important to vote?

Asked at Kids Voting Rock the Vote concert at Liberty Hall, 644 Mass. on October 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“It’s important to vote for your feelings on the issues, and it’s important for parents to put someone in office who’s going to do what’s best for their kids.”

“Because you need to speak your own voice. If you don’t, you’re giving up your rights. You can’t take them for granted.”

“It’s important because we have the right to, and sometimes we don’t want to vote for who everyone else wants to vote for.”

“Because we have to be able to vote for who represents us and the decisions they’re going to make.”

Related story

ohjayhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

There are times I'd like to take a cue from "Brewster's Millions" and be able to vote for "None of the Above". A vote for None of the Above would be much more satisfying in those instances when I am equally disappointed in the candidates in a particular race.

ohjayhawk 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree with audvisartist. It's a bit frustrating when the lines are so definitively drawn on issues, and politicians, in order to have any support from their party, pretty much has to toe their party's line on those issues. Most don't listen to their constituents' desires, instead espousing only the beliefs of the national party.

That being said, it is still very important to vote. Many things can still be impacted by casting a vote. I have just come to realize that I need to vote for the person who I feel will do the better job, regardless of which party that person belongs.

ranger73 9 years, 1 month ago

Good answers from the kids-

Horrible answer from audvis-

At least you have the opportunity to vote or not vote. That is why it is important.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

I think he passed "it" to another, but the other didn't play fair.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Because if you don't, then you can't complain about the players in the all-star game.

Well, they didn't specify...

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

Bone: batch? butch? botch? I'm confused.

innocuous_pleather, nice to see you around.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Now this is starting to sound like an eBay commercial. All the its. Whatever you're looking for ... you can find it on OTS.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

I know, Ron, but it was too good to turn down.

juscin3 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised that they even asked kids this kind of question...good answers from them though. At least they know what's goin on in this country!

RonBurgandy 9 years, 1 month ago

Don't worry folks, these kids will soon become cynical enough to stop caring...

...but for now, good answers.

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

Because if you don't vote, then there is no way to complain when a group of judges go against who you voted for and give the election to somebody else with less votes. Because if you don't vote, then the hackers win anyway.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Pywacket, did he respond to our "What About Bob" questions?

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Oops, I forgot, sgt is still "it," isn't he? BTW, you all type fast but I'm rather S L O W today.

heather5 9 years, 1 month ago

I have never voted and probably never will like someone said earlier there are usually only two main choices sometimes three and for example Bush vs Gore I didn't like either of them. So why would I vote for either of them. Put someone up there that is a decent person and maybe more people will vote.

clockworkowl 9 years, 1 month ago

Voting is nothing but a means for those in power to provide the illusion of consent.

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

I thought that I'd help the Kansans find their candidate's info on the League of Women Voter's site:

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

R_I, based on the context, I think it's a verb. However, I do not know how to "its" on anything. Not even this board.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Because it is my civic duty. It is my repsonsibility as a US citizen. Because, except for the presidential election which still has this totally outdated electoral college bullcrap, I like to feel that my vote actually counts for something.

I like OMB! (OK, I know it doesn't rhyme.)

Now, I just caught up w/ yesterdays posts...about all that "double black dog daring" yesterday, sounds good to me 'cept I seem to have caught the "crud." Aches, my head is threatening to explode, swollen lymphs, sore throat, nose get the picture (I just got out of bed). So, think it can wait 'til I get my voice back? (Or at least 'til I don't sound so scary?) I dunno, maybe scary would work, but for now I'm exhausted from just thinking this much to type. I'm going back to bed. TAG bea, your "it."

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh my. Where are Miss Kitty and Festus when you need them?

Dodge City looked very run down when I was there last week. In my day, it was quite the city!

dacs23 9 years, 1 month ago

Negative campaigning has taken a new low. I got one of those automated calls to my home last night around 9pm from Paul Morrison's camp going on about Kline's short falls. I'm not sure what all they said since I hung up and went back to my computer game as soon as I figured out what it was.

My vote goes to whomever annoys me the least and so far Kline is in the lead. As for Morrison, if you're out there, DON'T CALL MY HOUSE WITH YOUR CHILDISH TRASH TALKING. At the very least don't hide your number so that I can call back and speak my mind about you interrupting my poker game.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Not voting is a means to provide the illusion of rebellion.

trinity 9 years, 1 month ago

because my momma always said, "if you don't vote then don't b!tch!" she's right, you know. :)

how goes the OMB for prez campaign, gootsie?? :)

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

May I suggest a few great sites to help you learn about the candidates before you vote (even local candidates)? These sites ask candidates questions and post their answers online.

First, you need to know what precinct and districts you are in, so go here: Type in your name and hit submit. It will also show you your voting location and your current representatives.

Once you know your precinct, go here to take a look at a sample ballot for your precinct:

Then, to help you learn about the candidates, go here: and type in your 9 digit zip code. On the next page, you will see a list of current officials and candidates, if you click on their names, you will be taken to a page that gives you the option to click on "Issue Positions (NPAT)" located just below their pictures. Then you can compare the candidates answers.

Another site that asked candidates questions and posted their answers can be found here: It is sponsored by the League of Women Voters.

Good luck!

RonBurgandy 9 years, 1 month ago

We have got to "its" on this board right now, confusion is starting to set it...

RonBurgandy 9 years, 1 month ago

sgt/RI - meant to say "too many its on this board" (there were two people who were 'it' so I said its). Yeah it still doesn't work really, but it doesn't really bother me.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Great answers from the students!!

For the sake of brevity, my thoughts on the question are a collage of the answers given above by my fellow posters.

Oh yeah, and I agree with Gootsie . . . OMB for President, do dah, do dah!

Kuku_Kansas 9 years, 1 month ago

Because for one minute, of one day...

...I actually feel as though I am a part of the democratic process.

Every moment on, I can't help but feel as though the democratic process is run by politicians out-of-touch with the constituents, absorbed by political contributors' needs, catering to big business and self-serving their own interests.

sgtwolverine 9 years, 1 month ago

Since hailacab never answered, new tag. I would tag sue, but it seems she's not too functional today. So enoch: tag! You're it!

And I vote for sue's head not to explode.

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

I make sure I always vote. Of course, you may or may not know that we Canucks never actually get to vote for our Prime Minister, only our constituency rep. I would like to be able to vote for the PM. there are too many people who just don't give a darn and never vote, but guess who complains the loudest. I am off down south for a couple of days, but please keep up the campaigning for OMB for Pres. He gets my vote definitely. See you all on Sat.

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

bone, thanks for the clarification. bea-trice

audvisartist 9 years, 1 month ago

Is it really that important to vote? Doesn't seem to me that you get much change when all you have to pick from is a person in one of two parties. Sure there are a few "3rd parties" out there, but they usually don't have much of a chance unless it's for something local. And besides, I'll repeat what I said in a comment the other day... All Politicians Are Evil!

Bone777 9 years, 1 month ago

Bea - I forgot one of the *. I can understand the confusion. It was Beatch.

beatch /(beech)/ Show Spelled Pronunciation[beech] Pronunciation Key

-adjective (used to describe the act of) 4. To destroy ones opponent with various wit and intellectual basis.;'She beatched at the other poster, until he cried and turned off his computer.'

[Origin: 152535; of obscure orig.]

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

By the way, kids-on-the-street, good answers!

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Ouch. You need boots there. Very tall boots.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Vocation - Assistant Vice Saunterer in charge of Shoes (particularly loafers)

oh yeah

Tychoman 9 years, 1 month ago

When I was in junior high I felt disenfranchised (sp?) because it was obvious that kids' voting doesn't count. I voted anyway, but it sucked when the opponents of the vast majority of the kids' votes were elected.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

Voting every time is one way to implement term limits. Too many go with "it won't do any good". So long as the same keep being returned of course it won't do any good. This time it is important to get rid of neocons aka republicans for they have no respect for the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. In 2008 some new democrat faces would be nice.

It is my opinion that special interest financing of all elections must come to an end. I would like to to see that on the 2008 ballots nationwide. Maine has done it. Computerized voting should be gone as well.