Previous   Next

Do you think the City Commission should approve plans for a Wal-Mart at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 25, 2006

Browse the archives

“No. The one we have is more than enough for Lawrence. I saw a lot of local businesses close in my hometown because of Wal-Mart. One of the things we like so much about Lawrence is all of the small, local businesses. I haven’t shopped at Wal-Mart once since I’ve been here.”

“Do we really need another Wal-Mart? I think this is a one-Wal-Mart town.”

“Absolutely not. I won’t even go into a Wal-Mart because of what they’ve done to rural America. They’ve shut down the downtowns of so many small towns. They’re predators.”

“No, because then there would be too many Wal-Marts here and there are too many Wal-Marts period.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

"The more Wal-Marts the less choice"

Wal-Mart has become much more than just a small corner store in rural America. In the past 10 years, Wal-Mart has grown into the largest retailer in the world -- number 1 among the Fortune 500 -- and is America's largest employer. With more than 1.4 million employees and over $10 billion in profits, Wal-Mart is a giant company with giant responsibilities. First and foremost, Wal-Mart has a responsibility to all Americans to set the standard for customers, workers and communities, and to help build a better America. The truth is that Wal-Mart has let America down by lowering wages, forcing good paying American jobs overseas, and cutting costs with total disregard for the values that have made this nation great. Wal-Mart has needlessly exploited illegal immigrants, faces the largest gender discrimination lawsuit in history, forced workers to work in an unsafe environment, and -- incredibly -- broken child labor laws.

America's largest employer must reflect America's values. But, Wal-Mart will never change on its own. Lee Scott, Wal-Mart's CEO, mistakenly thinks he only answers to a few wealthy shareholders who own Wal-Mart stock. Lee Scott is wrong. Wal-Mart and Lee Scott must answer to the American people.

We are the ones who shop at Wal-Mart.

Together, we have the power to change Wal-Mart.

Together, we can hold Wal-Mart accountable and improve our America.

Wal-Mart's Vision for America vs. Our Vision for America What is the "Wake-Up Wal-Mart" campaign all about? Well, there are two visions for America: Wal-Mart's America, where profits come before people, and our vision, where people come first.

In Wal-Mart's America, workers are paid poverty level wages even when they work full-time. In our America, workers are paid a living wage with proper health and retirement benefits. In Wal-Mart's America, wealthy companies shift their health care costs onto taxpayers like you and your families. In our America, corporations live up to their responsibility and provide their employees with adequate and affordable health care coverage. In Wal-Mart's America, suppliers are forced to make their goods cheaper even if it means shipping U.S. jobs overseas. In our America, we value U.S. jobs and companies that buy and sell "Made in America." In Wal-Mart's America, women are paid less than men. In our America, women and men are treated equally - fair pay for everyone.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

hahahaharley!

Does the voting down mean another lawsuit against the City?

geppetto 8 years, 2 months ago

I am glad that this is hopefully over. One Wal-mart is enough. Actually I wish the one we got would close and leave.

heysoos 8 years, 2 months ago

Okay, I'm confused now. I thought that West Lawrence, as represented by lunacydetector, desperately wanted the Wal-Mart and it was those liberal elitist East Lawrencians (quietgirl) who hated the evil empire that is Wal-Mart? Did I miss something, or could it be that idiotic generalizations of the demographics of this fair city are pointless?

Spades 8 years, 2 months ago

Put the Wal-Mart in North Lawrence, because I don't like to drive 30 minutes through town to get to the current Wal-Mart. A Wal-Mart in North Lawrence would also mean I wouldn't have to drive 20 minutes to the nearest grocery store. I live 5 minutes from downtown, but the parking and traffic is horrible, and the shops are expensive with little to offer (such as a mall). But that's another topic. We would like services in North Lawrence. Put the Wal-Mart where it's needed.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by RonBurgandy (anonymous) on October 25, 2006 at 9:04 a.m. (Suggest removal) Move it to Eudora, less driving for me then.

Eudora will quickly become another high property tax community because of all the new housing and no new light industrial. There needs to be a balance. Perhaps consider asking your powers that be to seek out COSTCO...better wages and benefits I hear.

BunE 8 years, 2 months ago

Approve the damn Wal-Mart and move on.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow, a seperate west Lawrence. We could call it Whinerville.

labvamp 8 years, 2 months ago

Instead of putting a new wal-mart on 6th and Wakarusa why not move it out west to the K-10 bypass 40 HWY intersection. Not only would it put in out of the way of the high school but you would make it more accessible for people in jefferson and eastern shawnee county to come shop here.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

I heard they opened a Wal-Mart in Bejing. All the locals complained, however, because there were no foreign goods.

Camron Flanders 8 years, 2 months ago

why am I not suprised that 'rednecknascarfan' wants another Wal-Mart?

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

jayhawktownie, that area has been zoned commercially for years. if you happen to be a townie, you should've already known this. if you live nearby thinking that area would not get developed, where have you been hiding for the past 20 years?

i'm a townie and most townies can tell another townie. you sir or madam do not resemble a townie. townies want growth. townies don't want lawrence to dry up from some failed grand experiment intiated by some nutty professors on the hill.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

You ever go to east Lawrence, L-Detector? Take a ride on their streets, and you'll see where the tax money goes, and doesn't go.

Otherwise, if looking for people claiming to be persecuted, pick your confirmation bias, and go with it.

quietgirl 8 years, 2 months ago

I am so tired of you snotty West Lawrence people bashing Walmart and the people who shop there. Not all of us have massive amounts of disposable income and can afford to spend twice as much money on stuff downtown. I have been in this town for 18 years and I love it but enough is enough. As a town we pay people much less than they do in KC or even (god forbid) Topeka and then we complain when we need a store that only the lower middle class can afford. We can't have it both ways. Some people in this town need to get their head out of the clouds (or the 'other' place) and realize this town isn't full of rich homeowners who drive expensive cars and only shop downtown.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

sgt - there is already a mcdonalds with a play place on that corner I believe. (Yeah, I know there really isn't anyway you could know that, but I just had to say it)!

quietgirl 8 years, 2 months ago

I think many East Lawrencians hate Walmart becuase it is an 'evil' empire that takes advantage of its employees, blah blah blah. I think the West Lawrence people just hate the type of people who shop at Walmart becuase they think they are WT. This is based on the comments made to me by those who are against it. Either way, if you don't like it...don't shop there. Is that such a hard concept to grasp???

Ghost78 8 years, 2 months ago

I like the Costco plan ... it would provide the social consciousness and pricing the East wants, the service availability and development the West wants, and a bit of competition for the existing Wal-Mart.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

why call west lawrence Whinerville jonas? shouldn't it be east lawrence, since they moan groan and complain constantly about how they are getting persecuted by somebody?

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

acg, the difference is that those other stores haven't made it a practice of insisting that manufacturers relocate American production plants overseas to cut costs. Wal-Mart has also made it a long tradition of telling manufacturers who they can and can't provide goods to, cutting out all competition. Those other stores also don't have the long list of violations against employees that Wal-Mart has (from locking employees in at night, not paying proper overtime, to their being found guilty for not promoting women). You see, there really is a difference between Wal-Mart and Target.

Remember, if someone you don't want to grabs you by the "short and curlies" as you put it, you don't just take it. You slap that hand and you slap it hard. To quote the Clash, "When they kick in your front door / How you gonna come? / With your hands in the air / or on the trigger of your gun?"

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

Wal-Mart isn't going away and if the commission doesn't approve the plans, then the tax payers are going to pay a lot more money in the long run in lawyer fees. Wal-Mart will crush our city in the courts. Unfortunate, but very true. I thought Wal-Mart was approved to build there a long time ago?

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Does it really make any sense to bring in one grocer only to potentially put another out of business? As I have said previously the community is looking for additional revenue.

This does not appear to neither be a no growth nor business unfriendly commission: Building permit data for the year through September 2006. Overall the number of building permits issued continues to surpass the number of permits issued last year for this same period, 2068 building permits issued versus 2036. Building permits for single-family homes is at 196 as compared to 151 for this same period last year.

In addition, building permit fees collected to date are over $695,000 as compared to approximately $575,000 for the 2005 period.

The New Urbanism project is on the table for that area with residential and much new retail. There is also a huge new residential development also slated for the south side of sixth in that area. It's possible that the city cannot support that group of retail establishments.

Centrist 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm gonna throw a loop in here ..

How about a Wal-mart on the Farmland site? East Lawrence has NOTHING, yet there are new houses being built all over the place out there. Not only would it bring commerce to an area that ACTUALLY needs it, it would engender more business to an area that has nothing right now.

And no, I'm not a "capitalist" or "land developer" or "Walmart insider" ... haha

Just some common sense!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Move it to Eudora, less driving for me then.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

I was hoping for a McDonalds with a Playplace, myself.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Most of the responses I've read thus far this morning seem to be anti Walmart and when you ask people what they think of Walmart, most of them will rant about how Walmart is destroying America, but if this is how people feel then how is it that every time I drive past that horrid place, it's packed to the rim with people in there buying cheap plastic crap that's been shipped over from China? The problem with the "don't like it, don't shop there" mentality, as far as Walmart goes, is that it's not realistic. Quietgirl was right when she said that a lot of people can't afford to shop anywhere else. So what's a person to do? They can go to Walmart, and get what they need at a relatively inexpensive price (albeit most of it is going to fall apart in a few weeks) or they can, what? Go elsewhere? Mom and pop shops are way too overpriced and the other options are Target? Kmart? How is that any different than Walmart? They're just more big box chain stores where everything in it is shipped over from China and will probably fall apart in a few weeks. They have us by the short and curlies, folks, and that's all there is to it.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

It's not like they are talking about something Lawrence REALLY needs more of . . . like restaurants or bars . . . the sky seems to be the limit them those businesses.

If Wal-Mart opens another store and Lawrence is not large enough to support both, one will shut down, how is that a loss for anyone but Wal-Mart?

True, local businesses will probably need to lower their prices a bit, but hey, most of them have been gouging the public for years (royalty -- Lawrence style). . . Is it the job of our commission to protect small time entrepreneurs by refusing to consider the benefits available through big time entrepreneurs?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

In that case, Ron, there should be a second McDonalds with a Playplace. If two Wal-Marts would be good, then two McDonalds Playplaces would be better.

But two professional soccer teams would be best.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB, don't forget Starbucks, The Gap, and Ikea to complete Dante's seven stores of Hell. (I wonder who the turd is who came up with calling the added charge with Ticketmaster a "convenience" charge? It is never convenient to pay extra. The turds.)

Speaking of turds, did you just smell something? It came wifting across this board a couple minutes ago. Hopefully, if we ALL ignore it, the stench of it will go away.

jayhawktownie 8 years, 2 months ago

some of us in west lawrence have principles and cringe at the thought of another wal-mart. i suggest rather than breaking away, those who desire that sort of environment move elsewhere. it's readily available in just about any area of the country.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

....asked on massachusetts street of all places.

isn't it about time west lawrence broke away from east lawrence and formed its own city? i wonder how the downtown could cope without all the west side provided subsidies?

djs 8 years, 2 months ago

Quietgirl is right. The majority of townspeople don't shop downtown because it is too expensive and the stores are targeting either the college kids or rich people. We go to Topeka or Kansas City to shop because the downtown has nothing to offer us. The parking is lousy and the stores are too weird.

snoozey 8 years, 2 months ago

The only beneficiary of a WalMart on 6th & Wakarusa is the developer/land owner. Every other citizen of this city loses. Build it out by the K-10/Hwy 40 bypass if it is warranted. Otherwise it will snarl traffic flow west out of town from 6th street, hamper access to Free State HS events, and generally diminish all business and residential properties in that area. It was an unthinkable proposal when it was initially brought up and should be clearly seen as even more unconscionable now after deliberation.

samsnewplace 8 years, 2 months ago

WTG Beatrice, very informative and not an East/West stupid statement. Lawrence needs to be open to new businesses for West or even North Lawrence. Yes also to quietgirl and acg, responses worth reading. Not everyone has the money for downtown shopping. The one's that do probably do have the expensive homes/cars and work in another city and commute!

JHawker 8 years, 2 months ago

Definetly not, I love our downtown and Wal-Mart, as said before, is a viscious predator. One is more than enough for us - especially since it just expanded.

rednecknascarfan 8 years, 2 months ago

Good lawrence need's another Wal-mart. The othere one is getting way to damn crowded when it gets busy.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

There are so many other places to shop for Wal-Mart stuff.

KSChick1 8 years, 2 months ago

IMHO it is the westies who hate wal mart the easties such as myself have to shop there for several reasons, including low prices and variety gasp! to make sure I don't over spend there (huge quantity of items is a trick to make you spend more) I make a list and try to stick to it can't shope for clothes downtown as I can't afford $50 for a pair of size 0 jeans, especially since I would have to sew 3-4 pairs together to fit me I support downtown when I can, by shopping at some of the stores that carry items other than clothes, eating at restaurants that aren't chains, farmer's market, etc Don't want to see another walmart here in town though, and if some more stores come into this town I hope they go into east lawrence-but the reality is east lawrence is a tad economically depressed compared to west lawrence and since nobody from west lawrence would lower themselves to come to east lawrence to shop, said new businesses may not make enough money to stay in business can't win it seems like

number3of5 8 years, 2 months ago

My vote would be with the person who suggested putting the Wal-Mart in North Lawrence. There are very few stores or shops left in North Lawrence. Everything is south of the river. It sure wouldn't cause a traffic snarl or endanger school children. It would however be convenient for people on the north side of the river. It might even reduce part of the traffic in Lawrence because people would not have to drive across town to get to the Wal-Mart store. I shop at Wal-Mart because the things I buy there are cheaper than elsewhere. My son works for a Wal-Mart distribution center. He doesn't complain about the wages, but he is dissatisfied with the health care package that Wal-Mart provides. I do however agree that Wal-Mart has put many small business out of business. They also have moved their factories overseas, using cheap labor and forcing many Americans out of work. But, one must realize that the argument used for immigrant workers here is that many Americans don't want and/or won't do labor for low wages. It seems the repercussions go on forever. Is there a plausible solution? I am not sure.

Meatwad 8 years, 2 months ago

I can't stand Walmart. I feel ill just looking at it and avoid that part of town. They are an evil, greedy empire that wants to eventually take over all aspects of commerce from banking and even to beauty salons. I shudder to think of what they will try to conquer next. I wish they would go away.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Hannibal, I thought you'd like it. I got 6 out of 10. I bet you've printed all of them, as they are probably your ancestors???

Sorry Bea. I've been on VaCa but will now remember the pact.

Don- do away with the word retard, 'K? Some people can't help it.

monkeyhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

quietgirl- I live on the west side and I do have options when it comes to spending my money. I purposely spend a lot of it at WalMart. That is one reason why I have more money to spend.

I don't really care if they put in another WM or not. My bemusement is caused by the vehement anti-WM crowd who echo the union cry. It is the new liberal mantra along with "isn't it time for a change?" WalMart is merely the target du jour, replacing Enron for the moment.

Unfortunately, this opposition will cost the taxpayers a lot more money in the long run, but our commissioners see that as their "fight the good, losing cause fund".

BTW, exactly how much money is left in the city's rainy day fund?

don_burgess 8 years, 2 months ago

Everyone shut up!!!

I'm tired of you idiots who are upset about the "evil corporate entity" taking over our honest, locally-owned, granola city. Lawrence does not reside in an economic bubble.

No one complains about Quick-trip, Dillions, Hy-Vee, Subway, Cork and Barrel, Home Depot, Best Buy, Target, and McDonalds.

The question for this topic should be changed to:

Do you think the City Commission should approve plans for a group home of unrealistic, hypocritical, retards at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive?

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

I have written again and got no reply. does that tell you what LJW thinks of us. Why do they bother to monitor us anyway. I think I will try Dan Cox. And about Walmart, my shadow never darkens their door, ever.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Other places to shop:

CottinsHardware(general store),D&D Tire,used clothing stores downtown and in the Malls Shopping center,Dillons and HyVee, Stoneback Appliance,Kiefs, Browns Shoe Store and M&M office supplies.

Shop sales and clearance racks.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Bea, I try to "slap that hand" as often as I can. See, I'm a Union member and I work for a Union organization (I'm going to get pounced on now by the right to work supporters) so I haven't shopped in a Walmart in probably 10 years. Our organization fights it at every turn. And you're right, as far as labor violations go, Walmart is evil. But all of the big box stores are guilty of purchasing mainly goods that are manufactured overseas, ruining the production jobs in America, helping to wipe out the middle class of people in this country. So, I was just saying, Walmart is bad, Target and Kmart aren't much better, mmmkay?! ; ) But what's a person who makes no money to do? There aren't a lot of options out there for people to purchase their stuff at affordable prices. I don't see an answer to this problem. It's too big. Where do we start?

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB - I just fired off one to Ann Gardner, Editorial Page Editor and asked her to forward it to the appropriate person to deal with this. I am ont giving up unless they disappear me altogether. :o)

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

omb, I have not received a reply to my inquiry either.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Big business is here to stay, folks. I work on a campus where you can't buy anything but Coca-Cola products. . . where are the protesters with their evil empire placards when I need them?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Marion, if you are at all responsible for getting OMB banned, then you need to stop with the sarcastic retorts. That is lower than low.

Seriously. Even Cox would have to say you are being very childish.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

"Tag" is "gat" backwards. That must inflame the anti-tag movement.

I think that could be interpreted as a veiled reference to Wal-Mart, too, which makes me totally on-topic.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

"Posted by don_burgess (anonymous) on October 25, 2006 at 11:24 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Wal-mart is more interested in the property aquisition, people. They couldnt care less about locally owned businesses. They are cleverly disguised as a whole-sale superstore - when, in fact, they are actually in the business of purchasing high-profile pieces of realty. (They also are a front for malsian underage child sex trafficing)"

Yes, I've heard the corporate office also houses the Illuminati.

/and, of course, Jimmy Hoffa

don_burgess 8 years, 2 months ago

(They also are a front for malsian underage child sex trafficing)

fool_on_the_hill 8 years, 2 months ago

The fact that the opponents say it will create a traffic problem can only mean there will be lots of shoppers. This proves there is a demand for a WAl-Mart at that location. Everyone knows this is not about traffic or berms; It's all about protectionism. How local business people control the politics to try and limit competition. This is just the way it is. Wal-Mart will win the war in the courts and we will all pay more in taxes because of our biased Commissioners. The only hope for resonalble residents is to field common sense candidates in the next elections. We are in this situation because too many common sense people did not get involved in the last election. Maybe when the taxpayers get the bill from the lawyers they'll wake up and vote.

Joe Hyde 8 years, 2 months ago

The fact that Wal-Mart was suing the city, and now threatens to sue again at tremendous cost to taxpayers, is evidence to me that this corporation is intent not so much on providing goods and services but acquiring utter dominance over Lawrence's retail and commercial environment.

Whether it be Wal-Mart or any company attempting such dominance, the effort speaks of an irresponsible and predatory mindset. Wal-Mart is rightly popular with many consumers due to the low prices of items. But it is the city commission's duty to recognize the long-term damage that having two Wal-Mart stores will inflict on our economic diversity, and the quality of life of retail workers who live and pay taxes here.

Wal-Mart corporate officials, their legal staffs and local developers are not emotionally or financially constituted to exhibit sensitiveness regarding the benefits of economic diversity. It is therefore up to the cities that this company gains a foothold in to restrain or refute Wal-Mart's obviously dominating ambitions. This is the only way they can maintain a fairly level playing field for their long-existing businesses while attracting a variety of new incoming businesses.

They offer low prices, true, but Wal-Mart is a commerce destroyer of the first magnitude when its ambitions go unchecked. West Lawrence residents and our city commissioners are showing brains and guts here; they are protecting not just that immediate neighborhood but the entire city and most of the retail workers who live here.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

Wal-Mart is the BEST thing that has ever happened to .............. China

Camron Flanders 8 years, 2 months ago

Want to know what Lawrence will be like in 10, 15, 20 years down the road with 2 Wal-Marts?

drive to Topeka.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

gootsie, remember, we are now ignoring the turd rather than commenting on how much it stinks.

H_Lecter 8 years, 2 months ago

Don, Thanks for sharing the meltdown with us.

Gootsie, The first link was killer.

DaREEKKU 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it's funny that certain people in West Lawrence call the East part of Lawrence "whinerville" stating that the LJ World should wander away from the town "gem" to ask this question. This very gem you criticize defines Lawrence as a city. All across the area people know Lawrence for it's local shops and set up on Mass St. You don't hear people say "Lawrence has some really nifty strip malls on the west side!" Another point, the east part of town or "whinerville" is about a 10 minute drive from Wakarusa St....not that far away people. On that note, Wal Mart isn't even a 10 minute drive from Wakarusa. Now isn't that interesting? So who are the real whiners here? It's an irrational decision to build a second Wal Mart when we have a huge supercenter already. I would have to agree that Wal Mart is not interested in helping the people but merely dominating the retail market. Development is good, however that kind of development is not what Lawrence needs. We need more variety in industry and higher level jobs, not another cheap Wal Mart to buy crappy products from.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

wow, who died and made don burgess boss? Telling everyone to shut up, calling people "idiots," then coming up with a new question of the day to boot. And to compare Cork and Barrel with Wal-Mart is like comparing the shark in Jaws with a goldfish - the snack cracker variety. Further, people have discussed here the pros and cons of places like McDonalds and Target, which you would have noticed had you actually read what others wrote. Might I recommend a quick read of "How to Make Friends and Influence People." It likely would make a major difference in your debate style, which at present is greatly lacking on many levels.

packrat 8 years, 2 months ago

My dishwasher is from Rex's. My garage door opener is from Home Depot. My washer and dryer are from Sears. My computer is from the store next to Party America. My clothes are from Kohl's and JCPenny's. My laundry soap and diapers are from Walmart. My milk is from Dillons as are my prescriptions. My dvd r/w is from Best Buy. My favorite restraurant is The Mad Greek. My favorite bookstore is Half-Priced Books. I am in favor of the Library expansion project.

I rarely shop downtown due to parking.

Kat Christian 8 years, 2 months ago

Well no we don't need another Walmart right now the one we have a big enough. But shopping elsewhere for the things Walmart provides is out of the question for me timewise and costwise. I don't shop downtown because things are too expensive, if Walmart were not here I'd have to go without or hope to purchuse it online at a cheaper rate. With my schedule I don't have time to run around town looking for several things when I can get it ALL at Walmart - besides gas is too expensive to do that. So until downtown lowers their prices and make things more affordable for the low wage people in Lawrence (which is many) then perhaps more people will shop downtown. I have nothing against downtown, if fact I love it - except their prices.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

If our city commission would approve something . . I'm pretty much against it! I'm not feeling very Dada today :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

What I'm it? No fair, I wasn't playing...but, OK. TAG! Gootsie, you're it. Hahahahaha! sue runs away quickly

OMB, Never have gotten a reply. I'm trying to think of who I can contact that would make the biggest stink. Speaking of stink...my monitor keeps belching today. Strange.

Walfart. sigh Reminds me of that great "Southpark" episode about it. (Normally, I wouldn't watch that show but my teenage nephew forces me to. After all, I'm the "cool" aunt...I must do my part.) Now, I'm off to go buy some pepsi for the baby. Ya'll take care.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

"The biggest joke on this board is that people think Lawrence is big enough to have sides."

Sorry couranna1. There is an even bigger joke on this board.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

lurks around waiting to tag someone else

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm also pretty sure Wal-Mart executives kick puppies in their spare time.

Universe 8 years, 2 months ago

How hilarious.. You people whinning about Wal-Mart, yet flood the parking lot when they run sales on something you want. This isn't communist China folks! If I can save $30.00 on groceries at Wal-Mart I'm sure as hell not going to Big Bobs grocer down the street. The mom and pop stores have the right to compete, but they need to learn "how" to compete. Spend money for quality products to make money instead of selling over-priced (non-refundable) crap.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

You can't just run around saying tag. In the game of tag you hit the closest one to you. The best way to play this game would be to tag the last poster.

Not it.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Well I thought I was tagging the last person, but by the time I got back to finish my post and send it, others jumped in between.

I stick with Sgt is "it."

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Actually, bone, in the modern schoolyard version of tag, you would have to think tag-like thoughts in the direction of the person closest to you.

Tag! hailacab is it.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Ooh, I forgot about the taggee's psyche. That is quite insensitive of me.

Curtis Martell 8 years, 2 months ago

We don't need no more Walmarts. I git all I need at Dillons. And Sunflower. and Freestate Brewery.

hailacab 8 years, 2 months ago

I'll bet if Nordstrom's wanted to build in west Lawrence it would be approrved in a heart beat. I don't think the west Lawrence neighborhood objects to adding more commercial businesses in the area (that's pretty obvious by the growth that has taken place in the last 10 years). And I don't think the City Commission objects to growth either since they are considering adding commercial business to the new (old) concept of self-contained neighborhoods. What I don't appreciate is that Wal-Mart is being singled out as an "unacceptable" contribution to the mix. It's an unfair bias based on the snobbish attitute in west Lawrence that the neighborhood will somehow be taken to a lower standard if Wal-mart is allowed in. Not all of those living in west Lawrence object to the convenience of the neighborhood shopping that Wal-Mart would provide to the area. I think it's time we get off our high horse. This type of attitude makes west Lawrence uglier than any Wal-Mart ever could.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

You know folks, if I lived in Lawrence I would just pick up the phone and call LJW and ask to speak to the person in charge of OTS and see what these gremlins that keep eating our bob are all about. Sunflower, are you up to it? I double dare you. Also TOB, two would be better than one.

lynnd 8 years, 2 months ago

Why did this ever have to become an east vs. west argument? there are plenty of not-so-wealthy people living on the west side of town, and likewise there are not-so-poor people living on the east side of town. There are wealthy who shop at Walmart, and poor who refuse to. Not everyone on the west side is snobby, not everyone on the east side is socially conscious, etc etc. I could go on and on. Why do we need to stereotype each other?

Kathy Gates 8 years, 2 months ago

lynnd--what a great comment! I get so tired of people in Lawrence assuming things about me because of where I choose to live. For the record, yes, I live on the west side of Lawrence. From reading this boards there are those who would take that one piece of information about me and call me snotty, whiny, and wealthy. But there are no snotty, whiny, or wealthy people who live in OWL? Give me a break--the things I buy at Walmart or Target I can't buy downtown. The "jewel of Lawrence" is really nothing more than boutique stores that appeal to the out oof towner. I have coworkers from all over the state of Kansas and they all say "wow, you live in Lawrence. I love downtown--it must be great to live there."

My response? "Other than Free State, Second Chance, Penny Annie's and Dusty Bookshelf, I don't shop there."

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

My position has nothing to do with whether or not I shop at Wal-Mart or where I live. Our city commission has reneged on their original decision concerning Wal-Mart. They were apparently so busy trying to play cutesy with Dada Days that they didn't realize that W-mart would not go gentle into that good night. The commission has incurred legal fees that we are going to have to pay. I think residents should hold them more accountable for the unbelievably stupid decisions they make. Instead the wrath is burning brightly for the business our commissioners have double back on.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

sgtwolverine knows how to play the game. Apparently, hailacab does not.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

for lynn3,

variety store

american heritage dictionary:

A retail store that carries a large variety of usually inexpensive merchandise.

department store

A large retail store offering a variety of merchandise and services and organized in separate departments.

i'd have to say the city of lawrence had it wrong.

Walmart is a variety store while JCPenney is a department store.

Berserk 8 years, 2 months ago

WalMart is a plague.

Go ahead, welcome the plague. Now your kids can grow up knowing what minimum wage is. Someday maybe they can make part-time cashier, when they are 30, living at home, without health insurance, a car or retirement savings.

Welcome your plague Lawrence, you may be able to hold on to your town after the first WalMart, Lawrence is bigger and better than that, but two is going to put a sinkhole in the budget of the entire city.

Welcome your plague with open arms like I know the redneck whiners will.

Game Over.