Previous   Next

How do you feel about negative campaign advertisements?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 24, 2006

Browse the archives

“It’s good to know a little dirt on what the other candidates are doing. I don’t think it’s wrong. It just provides information so you can get a better perspective, even if they are about the candidate you’re voting for. Nobody’s perfect, especially in politics.”

“I think it’s important for people to know what the candidate’s record is, but you shouldn’t trust the information in the TV ads. People should always do their own research. My motto is ‘question everything.’”

“I don’t care for them. If a candidate can’t stand on their own laurels and beliefs, then they shouldn’t be running for office in the first place.”

“They’re terrible. Who cares about what they did as long as they can lead and make good political decisions?”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

Also, John Jackson should know that "a little dirt" got Kenny Rogers in a lot of hot water.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

LJW/OTS has yet to respond to my nicely written letter. I feel like the person that never got a "thank you" from the ungrateful young wedding couple. I'm going to write to Dear Abbey. (sp?)

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

welcome back gootsie, to this hotbed of political snarkiness! ;)

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

i feel negative about negative campaign advertisements. especially that latest crock o'crap that phill is pushing. ye gods.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

sgt=corndog RI=dorkfish

"I was swimming along under the ocean and I said 'What's a corndog doin' down here in the ocean?' and the next thing you know...Bam! I was in the boat." -Jeff Foxworthy

sgt, "better take that stick out. He'll eat that stick." -JF

BigDog 8 years, 5 months ago

oscarfactor - exactly right

Unfortunately there are many who do vote just based on commercials or party affiliation. Of the small percentage of people that choose to vote, I would guess less than half of them know much about the candidates they vote for.

Ken Miller 8 years, 5 months ago

They're entertaining. They are also economic stimuli, particularly for marketing firms and television/radio stations.

But if you base your candidate selection on what you see on TV or hear on radio, then you are an idiot.

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

sgt. - "a little dirt" got Kenny Rogers in a lot of hot water.

But, he still won.

Negative adds work and that is why they continue to run. It is not the informed voter that is affected. It is the half asleep one, that subconsciously hears it and thinks to themselves, " Oh no that is terrible."

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Hate, hate, hate political ads. Hate, hate, hate election years. Hate, hate, hate that some people actually give credence to the ads. How's that for negative !

I think today's question is part of a conspiracy to divide us. We have been united in our petitioning for poster's rights, including being informed about the banning process that appears to pick and choose who can be outrageous and who cannot. (btw, anyone had an answer to your messages to LJW? I have not.) So let's not get caught up in negative political posts, which can rightly be considered as "ads" for a candidate we support. End of Public Service Announcement :):):)

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

A Couple of years agao KCTV% had a truth watch. They would show what the ads said, then they woul dtell the whole story.

It wass great because I could see how the politicians and would be politicians would spin every vote.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

R_I, I've always found lying flat to be the best way to lie. Otherwise it's just uncomfortable.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks T. I haven't seen the Phil Kline ad. Pretty bad?

Nikki May 8 years, 5 months ago

I hate them. I'd rather look at the person who's ad it is. Come out saying stuff like, "I voted..." That's why I don't watch the ads, I want to know what you think about yourself, not what your campaign has found about the other guy.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 5 months ago

Thank goodness for DVR...

...just fast-forward right on through that junk and back on with my taped programming.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

They did something like that on channel 9 last night (sadly, the one remaining news channel I will let myself watch.) It was interesting to see the ad played and then the news tell "the rest of the story." They should do that more often.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

"(every 3700 bottles saves 42 gallons of crude oil)"

Also, every 3700 bottles will hold 7400 liters of crude oil.

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

aHA, thanks R_I. and i agree with you; negative, but not misleading or incorrect! ;)

i feel all oogey now after watching those.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

Only if you're not aware of your surroundings, R_I. Besides, I hate to compromise.

(I wondering if you'd take that opportunity. I expected nothing less.)

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

bigdog, tell yourself whatever you need to, to sleep at night. i'm not in the category of voter who is swayed by tv or radio ads. quite the contrary.

i'm racking my brain trying to remember venemous mud slinging advertisements from morrison, early on, against phill; care to cite some references for me?

gyroduck 8 years, 5 months ago

I think people should evolve past finding emotional security through their political ideas. People love to be right and hear approval and disapproval from others. I guess it gives them an idenity and makes them not feel like failures for a minute. How sad. Here is a clip from a great movie. http://youtube.com/watch?v=0aEaxa187B0

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

Hi y'all! I'm back from Oklahoma/Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas/Oklahoma/Kansas.

6 days. 2100 miles driving. WHEW.

I didn't see OMB anywhere while in TX. Do we know where he is now?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

Sue, one of the Detroit papers has been running occasional articles like that. They're fascinating to read. Particularly when a candidate runs an ad countering a negative ad. Then the news reports can give you an idea on the veracity of the corrections.

Also, sue, thanks for correcting the spelling of my name yesterday.

H_Lecter 8 years, 5 months ago

They remind me of a certain person's posts, pure garbage.

Thanks,

H_L

BigDog 8 years, 5 months ago

trinity

You might wanna remember that Paul Morrison was running negative ads on television far before Phill Kline did in this campaign. Those ads helped set the tone for the campaign.

If you don't want mud thrown back at you, don't throw the mud first.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

I hate the negative ads. It's seems, other than Kathleen Sebelius' ads, that that's all I've seen this year, too. Hey political jerkoffs, how about you tell us what you're going to do for us or how you're going to enact change or maybe how you really feel about a specific topic instead of harping on what your opponent did 15 years ago, especially when it was a BS charge that was dismissed WITH PREJUDICE!! . Man, I hate Phill Kline!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

R_I, maybe she just never ever believes anything at all. Ever.

Negative ads are boring and typically just misleading enough to be worth ignoring. But they're exasperating because there are so many that they're hard to ignore.

One fine example came from Michigan's race for governor. The challenger used to run Alticor (basically another name for Amway), and the incumbent ran a bunch of ads saying while he was in charge, he cut Michigan Alticor jobs and moved them to China. And while it was true he created jobs in China, he did so because Alticor was expanding into China, and Chinese law required Alticor operations in China. So it wasn't that he moved Michigan jobs to China; he started new China jobs. But in Michigan's depressed economic climate, it played pretty well for a while, until word spread that the ads weren't quite true.

But in the end, I fear that the incumbent will win in large part because she looks and sounds better on tv and in public.

shuddleston 8 years, 5 months ago

I like them more than all the trashy signs all over the place!!!

Teapot9 8 years, 5 months ago

can someone explain the original bob's postings lately?

jonas 8 years, 5 months ago

Sgt., Sue, Commuter: During the last presidential election campaign season, there was a really good site called spinsanity, that countered a lot of the assertions that might not have been otherwise exposed. It's not running anymore, but it's founders are still doing things like that, and there are links to other sites on the main page, which is still up. I think it's spinsanity.org, but just do a google search for spinsanity and it's the first one.

BigDog 8 years, 5 months ago

Posted by RETICENT_IRREVERENT on October 24, 2006 at 1:03 p.m.

trinity, I think the ads bigdog is refering to are these.

They are negative, but not misleading or incorrect..:P

Yeah they aren't misleading ....... just leaving out the staff person's arrests were for civil disobedience (protesting). I thought liberals liked protests .... and freedom of speech. I guess that is only on university campuses.

And scaring people into thinking that the AG is wanting to look at everyone's medical records isn't misleading.

Many of the political ads in both AG campaigns and other campaigns aren't fully accurate.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

You silly patooties. I knew it was on there already. I said I would add it twice because I think in this instance, all of my personalities should sign. There is Gootsie, and there is GOOTSIE! You don't want to see G-O-O-T-S-I-E appear....

We miss OMB but still have him in our hearts.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Let's all go to Houston!!! We'll form a convoy. Once we find that drainage ditch we will be able to locate his office:)

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

I wrote again to the complaint and banning outlet but of course they did not come down off their high horse to be civil enough to give me an answer. I am seriously thinking of calling them even if my long distance bill will be high. I am that angry. Marion is a jerk so often and does not get disappearededed, it is not fair.

H_Lecter 8 years, 5 months ago

Here's an original idea. How about a postcard campaign!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

There was something going on two weekends ago about a video of a flooded canal in Houston or something. But I didn't see anything nasty about it. Must have been in a side bar. Anyway, I'll add my name twice. IN ALL CAPS.

BRING BACK OMB!!!!! BRING BACK OMB!!!!!

ms_canada

blue73harley

RonBurgandy

Trinity

jonas

GOOTSIE

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

So let me get this straight -- it is okay for Marion to create bogus websites using peoples' log-on names as a means of attempted harassment while at the same time drive others to his own, lame website, yet it is not okay to argue with Marion about his frequent ranting and often hateful, misogynist, or xenophobic postings? Unbelievable! This really ticks me off.

People, I ask that everyone from here on ignore ALL of Marion's posts. If none of us respond in any way to his garbage, perhaps he will finally get the message that others really don't like him and he will go away.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Bea, What the hell are you talking about? Who is Marion? Never heard of him but it's a rather sissy name for a guy.

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

Sue - then it must belong to a rather sissified guy. I think the best idea is that we all just pretend that he does not exist. Who does not exist? oh nuts.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

TOB: Last night Katara asked to be added to the bring back OMB list. Since you are the main listmeister thought I would give you the pleasure. That is, the pleasure of adding Katara to the list ;)

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

nnyl = nil /nÉl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[nil] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun 1. nothing; naught; zero. adjective 2. having no value or existence: His credit rating is nil. It that a perfect definition, or what??

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

sue - who? I haven't a clue as to what you mean. I'm thinking you have spent too much time on the farm and are beginning to imagine things. It is time for you and the hubby to drive into town and have a pizza already. Without pizza, the mind begins to imagine creepy beings who lurk in the shadows of society. I suggest Papa Kenos. Yum.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Coalition for the reinstatement of OMB:

ms_canada

Prospector

blue73harley

RonBurgandy

Trinity

jonas

Katara

I took the liberty to add Katara and to hereby notify GOOTSIE that her name was on the ballot twice. I had to take one off to make it valid but i did leave it in ALL CAPS per her request.:)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Ha! we all posted at the same time (or close enough) ..I LOVE it when that happens. It is so satisfying.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

bea, I love Papa Keno's!! Shrooms, spinach and feta cheese . . . . it's all good. Although, I don't know if we should get into a "restaurant" conversation again . . . if you remember the last time I ended up being deleted ;) for which I hold you personally responsible

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

sue, I think we need to get together for lunch again . . how about Papa Keno's?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Cea, sounds good! I ate at a Chinese buffet today w/ the hubby and I have to tell you that I can't eat Chinese buffet anymore w/out thinking of your "picky, picky" story. (I'm always very careful.) :)
Bea, come on up for some 'za.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

I look forward to it, sue! I'm all ready for tomorrow's banning. But for tonight, it manana to all y'all.

Katara 8 years, 5 months ago

Strange. I was scrolling down reading all the posts when I came across a few blasts of hot air.

reykhet 8 years, 5 months ago

I feel that, although these nasty ads are odious and sometimes down right offensive, it is a good way to get information on the candidates. I personally do not approve, but it has been shown that negative ads are more effective than flag waving and baby kissing. The major problem with these ads is that a lot of them are not endorsed by the candidate, and are funded by their political party. Millions of dollars are being spent on negative ads this year by the republican party, and a lot of it is based on misleading or inaccurate information. In my opinion it is because they are trying to draw our attention from their seeming failure in the Iraq situation. They were all for it back then, but now that voting season is upon them, they are jumping off the burning band wagon. So as you watch these ads, beware the misleading attack ads, and always make an INFORMED descision. Know where your candidate stands on the issues, and don't rely on the T.V. to tell you how to vote.