Previous   Next

What are you readoing?

Browse the archives

All Quiet on the Western Front,’ by Erich Maria Remarque. World War II literature is ageless. We’re still dealing with technological warfare and the breakdown of statesmanship. I’m hooked on it.”

Choke,’ by Chuck Palahniuk. I was looking on the Internet for a David Sedaris book and it said that people who bought his books also bought Chuck Palahniuk’s. So I decided to try him out.”

Hocus Pocus,’ by Kurt Vonnegut. I’ve read seven or eight of his books lately. He writes satirical critiques of Western society. He tells his stories to make various points and draw attention to some overlooked aspects of our culture that we take for granted.”

The Last Cato,’ by Matilde Asensi. It was kind of like ‘The Da Vinci Code,’ only it was about ‘Dante’s Inferno.’”

Overachievers: The Secret Lives of Driven Kids,’ by Alexandra Robbins. The author follows high school students from Bethesda, Md., and what they go through to get into the college of their choice and the toll it takes on them.”

Comments

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

Bag of Bones-Stephen King and I'm also rereading Lady Chatterly's Lover.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Your absolutely right gnome guy, we need a little hamburger once in a while, can't eat steak all the time. A nice juicy cop drama does the trick. I think the Brits make the best hamburger, don't you? I am particularly partial to the taste of Ian Rankin's burgers or those of Peter Robinson.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

still reads "readoing," I think that's a cool word, let's come up with a good definition which encompasses 'reading' 'doing' and anything else.
oh, you're at the nail salon, scanning the mag while they work on your nails...ladies...that's "readoing?"

still reading "the glitter dome." still Joseph wambaugh's trashy cop drama. need to have a little trashy now and then.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Sue - it seems as it Canadian publishers are ahead of the US guys. I have already read Book nine, The Eagle, the last in the series. It is very good. fangorn said he had it on order at the Library. No actually he HAS the book. He sent me a picture of himself holding the book. He was so excited to have it. So you should be able to get it down there. When you finish Lance Thrower, that is . BYW Lance Thrower in Canada is named Clothar, the Frank. Don't know why they do that. I am continuing in my study of Islam and am now reading a very good book called Islam Unveiled by Robert Spencer. Just finished Islam Explained by Tahar Ben Jelloun. Jelloun wrote it as if explaining their faith to his daughter aged 10. It was good.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm re-a-doing my bathrooms. One down, two to go.

If your asking what I'm reading, it's "The Lance Thrower." Book eight in Jack Whyte's Camolaud Chronicles. Two more to go but thank goodness they're not published yet.

killjoy 7 years, 6 months ago

"What are you readoing?"

The LJW/OTS typo (by the time you read this, they may have corrected it)