Previous   Next

What are you looking for in the next generation of cell phones?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 22, 2006

Browse the archives

“According to a new product proposal created by the students I teach, they want to see enhanced durability and waterproofing.”

“My phone already does everything I want it to do. It’s just too big.”

“I’d like to see them disappear entirely from the human environment.”

“I want a video camera so I can video conference with whoever I’m talking to and put the live stream on my Facebook profile.”

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

since the major cell phone manufacturers own the rights to the company that developed a shield for the cell phone battery -preventing those pesky brain tumors, i'd like to see that material incorporated into the cell phone.

cutny 8 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for sharing Sue. I'm guessing their heads are roughly the same size as yours, though their brains might be slightly larger as they aren't jumping in lakes with their cell phones. Wait to sling the humorous(?) mud though at people who's opinion differs from yours. Any more amusing (?) anecdotes you can fill our days with?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

2+ years ago, I took my Ericsson Z500 swimming in lake water for about 10 minutes. Oops! (I had 3000 things to carry down to the dock and just jumped in w/ my shorts on...darn pockets!) Anyway, took the phone apart as well as I could for not having the proper screwdriver, let it dry out for 2 days, put it back together and it's been a charm ever since. Now my hubby, whith same phone, does not have such luck. I think his problem is more with dust. Maybe he should run it under the tap every now and then???

You people wanting smaller phones are kidding, right? What, is your head the size of a pin?

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

cutny: A little bi@#%y on sundays, are we?

sue: Instead of going down in size, I think I'm just going to opt to have my next phone grafted onto the side of my head. With the voice response features that I think are available, I can just leave it up there, and command it to do what I want it to do. I might never have to put my phone down, for any reason, ever again. Yay!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

cutny, Ouch...a bit touchy. OK, I'm guessing you want a smaller phone??? I think you took that comment (a little?) too seriously. But if you think about it, don't you find it humorous how tiny all of our "stuff" is getting while "we," as a society, keep getting larger? (And you are correct in judging that "pinheads" jump into murky lake water at all, let alone doning a cell phone.)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

jonas, If they can make pacemakers and implants of "all kinds," they can make you a phone. I wonder if you'll have to plug yourself in to recharge at night?

Terry Bush 8 years, 2 months ago

Let me add to the "Make them work without breaking down so easily" votes! I got a new razor (time for "free upgrade") in March 2006. To date I've had to go in for fixes twice already (and they weren't cheap fixes). They say it got wet, but it's not like I've been walking in the rain or swimming with my cell phone. Warning; human sweat must short circuit cell phones!

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

A telescoping camera, so that the "up-skirt bandits" don't have to bend over so far to get their pictures.

audvisartist 8 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to see a cell phone that shuts itself off when you enter a restaurant or when you're driving your car. I almost got hit by a person talking on her cell phone yesterday while returning home from work and then to top it off there were 4 guys sitting at a table at Chili's when I went to dinner and their cell phones would ring NON-STOP! At least get some decent ringtones if that's going to be the case. And make your conversations a little better than "Hey, what's up? Nothing much. OK. Bye." Sheesh! A little more civility people. That's all I'm asking for. As for me, my Sidekick does everything I want, but T-Mobile's customer service SUCKS.

Teapot9 8 years, 2 months ago

not to be made of cheap plastic and break easily. also a breathylzer built into it. FIRST POST!!!! more importantly mark mangino is gone??

parbuddy38 8 years, 2 months ago

The only cell phone I have is attached to a cord on the wall of the house. It also has a cool rotary dial feature

gccs14r 8 years, 2 months ago

I want a phone in a wristwatch chassis that runs off bioelectric power so it never needs charging.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

p.s. My list says it's "National Nut Day." Wonder how those two holidays got lumped together?

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

militant: "A stun gun would be fun" If this happens, they had better outlaw driving while talking on the phone. Otherwise, there will be plenty of people crashing their cars when they hit the wrong button and zap themselves in the side of the head when taking a call. Of course, maybe the zap to the head will help burn away the brain tumors. Maybe.

I only recently got a cell phone, just because Phoenix is so big and I'd hate to break down and get stuck somewhere. Otherwise, I almost never use mine or have it on. I hate the concept of being tethered to who ever wants to reach me. If I'm out, I'm out. Leave a message at home or the office, and I'll call back when I return.

Beyond the driving law mentioned above, there should be other laws as well -- such as 1 month in prison for taking a phone call when in a theater during a movie, 3 months and good-manners training if it is a play. 6 months if you talk not in whispered tones about personal things about your health or family while waiting in line for anything. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

An electric charge that would shock the user (congressman) when a inappropriate text message is sent.

Purell 8 years, 2 months ago

"Bullets"? I would think a Topeakan would prefer a bullet-proof vest.

In Lawrence, we put up roundabouts to slow down the escape of the criminals from Topeka.

BunE 8 years, 2 months ago

I would like to see them more durable and waterproof as well.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

I have a million dollar idea for a new cell phone, but I will not share it here, thank you.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

....and i don't know boogeyman, he looks like he could be one of "them"

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

phasers would be a good start. then, equip them to work for say dowsing or oil deposit location; fish finder and money finder? a built in hand sanitizer using ultrasonic energy. and, yes, shields too. or how about a transporter and the cell phone can play the role of Nomad too. that could be fun.

agree w/the self extinguishing phone am really tired of cell phones (selfphones) going off in restaurants, meetings, plays, etc. maybe we could rig them to self distruct if they detect annoyance by others around them?