Previous   Next

Do you think Republicans are losing ground in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 21, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes. Judging by their appearances in the media, it would seem so.”

“I think so. Especially from the news I heard on NPR about Carla Stovall giving her support to Morrison rather than Kline. I think Governor Sebelius will win again pretty easily, and I think that Nancy Boyda has a pretty good chance against Jim Ryun.”

“I think it’s definitely a possibility in light of recent developments with Kline and Morrison. We have Republicans switching parties because of intolerance within the party. It’s a battle between the moderate and far right.”

“I think they are losing ground in a way, but it’s just getting back to the balance we’ve historically had in Kansas. I think it’s the religious right that’s losing ground. The Democrats and Republicans are both tired of them.”

Related story

Comments

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Why do people always have to announce that they heard something on NPR? Why can't they just say that they heard it on the news, or on the radio? Do people think that they sound smarter when they include the nugget that they get their information from public radio?-bmwjhawk

bmwjhawk, 'cause most of us think there is a big dif between NPR and "Action 4 News." It's also called "citing sources."

I'd say since eminent domain is rampant, the dems are porbably losing ground as fast as the republicans.

rabb 8 years, 9 months ago

Posted by Godot

I will not vote Democrat again until the likes of Schumer, Franks, Rangle, Kerry, Kennedy, Pelosi, Reid, Dean, Soros, Billary, etc., are not carrying the banner for the party.

Good idea. Stick with the Republican moral leadership of Cunningham, Reed, Abramhoff, Harris, Ney, Hastert, Foley, Weldon, Boehner, Pombo, Lewis, Burns, Bennett, Limbaugh, Rove, Cheney and Fearless Leader; GW. One nation - under Halliburton. Or is it Diebold?

Bone777 8 years, 9 months ago

I watched a televised discussion with Bill Gates and Warren Buffet the other night. Warren Buffet was stating that he pays less taxes now, than in the past. He pressed Bill Gates a little on the issue and Bill agreed that he pays less taxes also.

In the end both of them agreed that the really rich should carry more of the tax burden and that ,percentage-wise, the middle class shoulder the majority.

I just thought it was interesting to see that two of the richest people in the world seem to feel bad about the lack of taxes they are asked pay.

coldandhot 8 years, 9 months ago

No. They are just losing liberal Republicans. These folks that have switched should be Democrats.

BunE 8 years, 9 months ago

Let me guess, this is all becuase of some vast Left Wing Liberal media bias...

The Republican Party is stumbling because it is a farce. It is not democratic, it embraces the morally bankrupt theories of neo-conservatism, it has sold out to its base and its leaders have become brokers only in fear. They lie to go to war, blubber about baby jesus, they encourage collusion and monoplistic business practices, they ignore the looming SS and medicare crisis and use made up terms like "cut and run", "activist judge", and "death tax" to manipulate the media and its citizens. WHO ARE THE REAL CONSERVATIVES HERE?

Meanwhile when they get caught in scandals involving pedifiles, yachts, and strangling mistresses (90K in the freezer notwithstanding) they crow about 'terr and baby killin' and a nice chunk of americans start freaking out. Wake up sheeple! Unless and until Olympia Snow and Dick Luger become the pardigm of the GOP, it is destined to fade away.

I will say this, Reid is an idiot and Pelosi needs to get out of the way.

kujeeper 8 years, 9 months ago

And in it's "unbiased" reporting, the LJWorld as only people who are liberal....

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

Why? Are people predicting something different in Kansas than is taking place across the nation? Having one party in control of all national power proves the old line of absolute power corrupts absolutely. I sure hope after 2008 the politicians can try a little harder to work together.

fangorn: demo-rats? Come on now, you can do better than that. And did you actually write that the deficit is down?!? Don't you mean the deficit is still the highest it has ever been, but not quite as high as some thought it might be, but still far higher than the surplus of the previous administration? I think that might be a better description of the horrible overspending taking place under this current administration. Paris Hilton does not need more tax breaks. Living solely off of dividends, she pays a far lower tax rate than your or I. Now how sad is that. The Republicans went from being a party for the rich, to the party for only the richest of the rich - the rest of the nation be burdened with deficits. Ugh.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 9 months ago

While Kansas has become pretty solidly Repubican, Kansans are known to vote their conscience if another candidate appears more competent or has more appeal, or if they're tired of the GOP. Joan Finney (not so hot) got in after Tax-Hike Mike who actually wasn't responsible for the tax hike, but really wasn't that great apart from that anyway. Currently we have Sebelius and folks think fairly well of her except for those than can't see beyond their paty line.

Republicans wouldn't be losing ground if they hadn't been hijaked by the hysterical far right. It's great seeing the moderates fighting their party's current leaders. Beauty!! For the good of us all some had to leave their party to do it but we Democrats have a big house so come on over!

Instead of being disingenuous and manipulative to take over the GOP, they should have formed their own party. Certainly if they could take over the GOP in 25 years as Falwell brags, they would have been able to form their own party. If people want their representation then fine. If not fine. We really need more viable parties anyway. I'd like to see the Libertarian, Green and Reform parties able to do better. Two parties = gridlock.

Democ-RATS, Fang? You are such a child. That is so Junior High. To boot, you are completely delusional and brain washed to the fullest. What part or the GOP's arse did you pull that crap out of? Well, I guess it's not really a new playbook, is it? Now they are playing the "fear " card, again. They won't get away with it this time though.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

If the Democrats cannot take either the House or the Senate this election cycle their leadership should be thrown out. Given the "perfect storm" this election cycle expectations are naturally very high. Let's see if they can capitalize.

Tychoman 8 years, 9 months ago

kujeeper I shouldn't be surprised that at least one person made an accusation that the LJWorld sought out liberals on the street. Now think carefully, what city is this....and what's the general political affiliation of the city? Are we making a connection?

Bone777 8 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm. I'm going to have to think about this until say.......... mid November.

welniff 8 years, 9 months ago

Simply saying that Republicans are losing ground in Kansas is, for my money, a bit of an understatement, considering that the number of defectors to the Democratic side is seemingly as high as it is. Thanks Kansas, for finally waking up.

-Tired of Being Screwed over by the GOP

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 9 months ago

Kansas isn't going to switch to a blue state anytime soon, not when the only blue sections of this state are douglas and wyandotte counties

trollkiller 8 years, 9 months ago

I think the Jayhawks are the ones losing ground. Holy crud! How can a team repeatedly blow leads of two touchdowns or better and then lose!

It has to be the roundabouts!

jonas 8 years, 9 months ago

Lord, I hope so. Anything that can peacefully get rid of the religious right/wrong is a good thing.

H_Lecter 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't look at party lines. Republicans are usually leaner, but the important thing is to keep the meat moist on the grill and let the heat get through to the middle.

Godot 8 years, 9 months ago

bmwjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I admire people who get their news and music from NPR but don't tell me where they get their news and music.

So, you ask, how do I know to admire them? I just guess.

Sharilyn Wells 8 years, 9 months ago

I think back to Eisenhower who looked "conservative" but he had a great moral foundation.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

fangorn, good to see you...although I hope when you said "ignore SS" that you weren't referring to me.

Hope your Huckers gag are doing better than my hubby's Wildcats gag. Although since neither team is playing my Jayhawks, I can root them on today.

enochville 8 years, 9 months ago

Well, speaking for myself, I recently switched from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party.

Fangorn 8 years, 9 months ago

Good morning, BunE! Thanks for the cannon fodder.... uh, I mean "thoughtful analysis". Allow me to rebut (or not): -sold out its base. Absolutely. On immigration and spending especially. If we'd wanted that, we could ... switch parties and become Democ-RATS. -lied to go do war. If so, then so did Billary, Kennedy, Algore, Byrd, et al., ad nauseum, all of whom declared - before we went in to Iraq - their belief that Saddam had WMDs. Hindsight increases visual clarity, but not IQ apparently. -blubber about baby jesus [sic]. When all other religious expression is tolerated in the public arena - except Christianity - we certainly have cause to complain. -collusion, monopolistic business practices. Coming from an unabashed liberal (and you just wouldn't be your own loveable self is you were anything else), I tanslate this to mean that Bush & Co. don't regulate the business world to death, resulting in a robust economy (Dow at 12,000+, federal revenues up, deficit down). So, what's the problem? -ignore SS and Medicare crisis. Actually, Bush is the only one who has seriously proposed anything to fix the problem. All the Dems did in response was cry like a two-year-old whose favorite toy has just been taken away. - "cut and run", "activist judge", "death tax". Well, if the shoe fits.... - "pedifiles". The Miami Herald and the St. Petersburg Times declined even to publish the "overly friendly" Foley email that Hastert knew about, considering it "innocuous". If the GOP leadership had removed Foley for that, the weeping and gnashing of teeth and cries of "homophobia" would have swept the nation (or at least the fringe Left). Foley should have taken the Gerry Studds approach: yes, I'm gay, the boy was dee-lish!, now re-elect me. - yacht. Honestly not sure exactly what you reference here. However, if it is Rep. "Duke" Cunningham's bribery conviction last year, I will say that at least disgraced Republicans resign. I'm not sure it's possible for liberals to be disgraced or shamed. That would require a moral or ethical standard from which they could fall short. - Reid and Pelosi are the Democratic Party right now. If they go, they take the Party down with them. Actually, if they stay they may take the Party down anyway.

I've missed all the fun. And as much as I've enjoyed this, I have to close. The Huskers-Longhorns game is starting. I've got my priorities, you now! I promise I'll check back later for your reply.

Sigmund 8 years, 9 months ago

Feeling let down by Republicans this year? Then join the millions of true Conservatives who have become "Cut and Run Conservatives" and sit this one out. If you're unhappy with anything the President, House, or Senate has done in the last 2, 4, or 12 years; then show your patriotism by teaching them all a lesson they won't forget. So take a stand conservative America, become a "Cut and Run Conservative" and sit this one out! And wait till you like everything Republicans do before you ever vote again!

--Paid for by George Soros, "If I had known this would work I wouldn't have wasted all that money on Air America."

toefungus 8 years, 9 months ago

Conservative, far right, liberal, far left. They all have one thing in common. They want to rule and make the rules. Until we citizens are clear on what we want and share a common goal, the politicians will work mightily to convince use what we want. As for me, I want my freedom. Political leaders hate freedom, because a free person is hard to lead.