Previous   Next

Have you had any good recipes passed down to you?

Asked at Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on October 11, 2006

Browse the archives

“My mom gave me a great recipe for vegetarian enchiladas and lasagna. There’s actually peanut butter in the enchiladas, but that’s all I can tell you.”

“My wife’s mother gave me a recipe for a three-cheese casserole. It’s the best casserole I’ve ever had, and it’s not just that it’s really cheesy. It’s a good combination.”

“Yeah, my mom has a really good chili recipe that she gave me. It’s a three-bean vegetarian chili. I like to throw in some jalapeños to spice it up.”

“My mother-in-law gave me the best recipe for apple strudel from Slovenia, and she showed me how to make it.”

Comments

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Chili con (with) carne (meat). I do believe that chili is just the sauce that you add to the meat and is it not a Texan dish?
Someone mentioned apple streudel. My mom was a champion streudel maker and she taught me the secrets of a wonderful streudel. You make the dough and divide into separate lumps. Wrap each and put in warm oven. It must be warm. When ready to make the streudel, put a table cloth on the table, sprinkle with a little flour, plop the dough in the center and with two people working together go around the table and gently pull the dough until it stretches over the edge of the table and you can read the newspaper through it. Quickly sprinkle with grated apple, cinnamon, sugar and melted butter, cut off thick edge of dough, grab the table cloth on one side, gently flip the dough over and with cloth roll the streudel up. Put in long cookie sheet, sprinkle with more melted butter and bake. So yummmmmy.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 2 months ago

My grandma's Italian Wedding Soup ( she called it ) which is minestrone. It takes forever and a day to make, so I only make it once a year. We are not the traditional Christmas turkey eating family, so we have minestrone soup and lasagna like we have had for years and years. I have kept the tradition going and will keep it going as long as I possible can.

concernedparent 8 years, 2 months ago

Easy_does_it, you just made my whole day. Thanks.

oldfashiongirl 8 years, 2 months ago

I like it when we talk about something I know about--food!

We are sort of like a United Nations summit meeting when we all get together. I am 1 of 10 children and 4 of us are married to Dutch, Japanese, Mexican and Greek and do we have the recipes. I have about 50 cookbooks, 4 drawers of recipes cut from newspapers and a scrapbook of family and friends' recipes. I make a mean bunch of chili and the recipe calls for 2 boxes(like the old 1 oz boxes packed by McCormick). I do put beans in it, but not spaghetti, as my brother likes it.

Lecter, why do the recipes have to be kept secret? Why couldn't we assemble one recipe from each poster and put them in a little booklet form. These would only be your favorite recipe of all times--no junk or inedible stuff. We could call it the "On the Street Alltime favorite recipes".

Jane Wohletz, Your apple strudel recipe sounds very good-sure would like the recipe. Contact me through my user name. Thanks.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

awww shucks thanks, ss! :) i loves me some cookin'&food.

and i laughed REALLY loud when i read your "Really_Irresponsible" comment! :D

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

For some reason I'm really curious to see H_L's answer to this question.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 2 months ago

Bone777, the real bachelor gourmet is when you don't have any cheese and/or milk and have to get creative with the substitutions. ;)

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

I have tons of good recipes. Half of my family is cajun, so my mamaw taught me how to cook so many wonderful dishes. Too bad my stomach can't hardly handle it anymore. The other half of my family is an old southern family so I got all the good recipes for southern cooking, too. My favorite two recipes are my mamaw's etouffe and my other gamma's chocolate pecan pie. OMG I'm so hungry now.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

many good recipes handed down, from family as well as friends. i treasure them! and, intend to make each of my daughters a cookbook filled with those recipes, great&inexpensive Christmas gift!

agggh somebody slap me, i'm starting to sound like martha stewart!!!! :p

geekin_topekan 8 years, 2 months ago

Jessica and Tim!Front and center! Bust out some casserole lets give it a try.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

"The_Original_Bob (anonymous) on October 11, 2006 at 8:17 a.m. (Suggest removal) Classclown - I've been involved in that argument for years. One of those deals I had to just let go. Very few up here can even grasp what I'm talking about. Also, there is no chicken in chili. See? I can't let it go. It's the damn Texan in me."

No meat in chili eh? That's easy cuz vgetarian chili has no meat and Tofu and Tempeh are not meat. Of course neither is required for veggie chili unless some are looking for that meat like no cholesterol affect. Throw in some excellent medium salsa and the chili is set to go. The best Tofu and Tempeh are made here in Lawrence, Kansas.

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB it's the Texan in me too I guess. I grew up there. Also, don't get me stared on bar-b-que. The folks around here have no idea what good bar-b-que is. To them it's simply pouring lots of bar-b-que suace all over everything. I have yet to find a place that actually bar-b-que's their meat.

They like their bar-b-que sauce sweet around here too. Blech.

number3of5 8 years, 2 months ago

Classclown and The_Original_Bob

When I grew up "Chili" was the sauce. With meat, it was "Chili con carne" or chili with meat. Beans like the meat are optional.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

I've been called a food snob by some (I won't mention names...that would be Really_Irresponsible of me.) I don't think that reputation is just, however, because I pretty much love all food. My momma let me start cooking with her when I was about 4...probably younger. I know all the WAYS she made things but she passed down few actual recipies. I'm one of those "throw in this and that and cook it 'til it's done" type people. Last night was creamed chicken over buttermilk biscuits. (Picture chicken pot pie filling spooned over homemade biscuits just out of the oven.) My 12 year old make these gooey-apple-cinnamon bun type things for dessert and my 10 year old made the biscuits. Yum! (I think I ate too much.) Maybe I'm a food snob because I think that if you're going to feed people, you aught to feed them well. The hubby actually made crepes for breakfast this morning. The kids were happy...they like crepes.

Trinity, the recipies I do have are already in cookbooks for my kids when they leave home. That is not Martha like...that is good momma like.

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

What do you call chili without meat? Beans.

But hey, I'm not anti bean here. I like beans. I even like beans in my chili. Always have. That would be called "chili with beans".

You can have chili with or without beans, but you can't have chili without meat. Just a bowl of beans.

Oh. For the person that mentioned tofu... That isn't even food as far as I'm concerned. And just the thought of using something so disgusting in chili makes you some kind of food pervert.

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

That was supposed to say "started".

My apologies for the error.

It will probably happen again.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Could we just slap Martha Stewart instead?

PYT1984 8 years, 2 months ago

I have a great recipe for Tuna Casserole. I got it from my co-worker. You use a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of tuna and a can of pork and beans. Then cook it. That's it. Enjoy!

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

"It's a three-bean vegetarian chili."

=======================================

Chili is a meat dish. Authentic chili doesn't even have beans. So "vegetarian chili" is an oxymoron.

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

Where's Hannibal? I'm sure he has some great, er. . . unorthodox recipes to share with the rest of us.

John Spencer 8 years, 2 months ago

Go to your favorite grocery store and get a can of every kind of bean they have. At HyVee there are like 14 different ones. Also get a can of Bush's baked beans. Mix them all together and add about a cup of Ketchup, a half cup of brown sugar. Simmer for several hours. I also add some chopped onions, and habaneros.

Teapot9 8 years, 2 months ago

sunflower sue, you may visit my humble abode anytime. rawrrrr

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

Another favorite: six cups of water to a boil add macaroni shells and boil 8-10 min. Drain and add a 1/4 cup of butter & 1/4 cup of milk Add Cheese packet and stir together. Viola' Batchelor's Gourmet

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

I wish she had! I do have a great recipe for ice.

mali_mom 8 years, 2 months ago

The Chili offered to us growing up was always red or green. When we moved to Kansas and they asked us with or without meat I was dumbfounded!

Charla Welch 8 years, 2 months ago

Too many to name!

My mom did teach me how to roast a leg of lamb and how to make all the side dishes. Also taught me lamb stew, my favorite meal.

I also have Grandma's famous brownie recipe. Best. Brownies. Ever.

My best friend gave us one of the best wedding gifts - She wrote her favorite recipes in a journal. Inexpensive give that is full of thought and meaning and really meant a lot to us.

H_Lecter 8 years, 2 months ago

Well, well, well. Finally a subject to sink our teeth into. The recipes have to be kept secret, but I think a sampler platter that goes well with everything from a Margarita to Michelob Ultra might be just the ticket. Let me know if anyone has the guts (cough).

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

PYT1984, OK, I'm a food snob. I'll own up 'cause you just gave a recipe for fake vomit or something. You are kidding, aren't you? hack

libraffe 8 years, 2 months ago

I have the recipe for my aunt's lemon bars (I love them so...), but there's something about having them made for me that makes a big difference (rather than making them for myself).

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Char, my mom gave out the same type of thing this last xmas. She gave everyone handwritten recipe books of all of the family recipes she could gather. It was about 100 recipes. She also included updated address books for the entire family, with all of their personal info including birthdays and wedding anniversaries. I have to say those are two of the best gifts I've ever gotten.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 2 months ago

Bud Lite and S'mores Pop Tarts

Seriously. Try it.

Teapot9 8 years, 2 months ago

I was given a great Foie Gras recipe and have been picking out my own ducks ever since (i dont like the geese variety). The other would be a marvelous veal recipe I recieved about 6 years ago.

FUR ISN'T MURDER, BUT PAYING FOR IT SURE IS!!!!!

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 2 months ago

I have lots of recipies, mostly in my head. I look at something I like and I have to make it. I do get them handed down/over/up to me and some I leave as is, others I Azurify 'em.

And, yes, chili is the sauce, be it red or green or whatever, and Chili con carne is the dish most people in this country eat. I have a chili con carne recipe that in four events has never lost a chili cook-off. It rocks!!

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

My mom passed this cake recipe on to me when I was very young. Not so much a recipe, but more a style of preparation.

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, (can be assisted by bakers man) Bake me a cake as fast as you can. (set oven to 375 F) Roll it and pat it and mark it with "B" And put it in the oven for Baby and me. (serves 2)

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

I fail to understand why everyone is making such a big deal about recipes. Every recipe you'll ever need is right on the container.

Remove from box Cut slit in film cover Microwave on high "x" number of minutes Rotate on quarter turn Microwave an additional "x" number of minutes Let stand "x" number of minutes

Do not heat in toaster oven.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Fabulous mashed potatoes from Mom

Wonderful whole grain sour dough bread from mom in law Salmon too. This bread is yumo.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

hah-yeah, just go ahead&slap martha; i've got things to do! :)

i thought of one recipe that i am verrry grateful to have learned-real, bona fide, homemade dumplings! thanks to a wonderful nearly mom-in-law for THAT one. mmmmmmmm. with roast pork&gravy, sauer kraut on the side? to DIE for! :)

Tony Kisner 8 years, 2 months ago

My favorite - Swamp Water

1) 5 cans of frozen Lime Aid Concentrate 2) 1 qtr cheep vodka 3) 1 qtr Peach Schnapps.

Mix and pour over ice - Also hide car keys & ex's phone number.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Bone and Easy, very good! Ha!
Teapot, when you get the foie gras ready, I'll bring the baguette. Just holler!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Now classclown, never lump us all together. "The folks around here have no idea what good bar-b-que is."

There are some quite worldly people here in Kansas. We bbq without sauce and just rely on the great taste of the meat and wood-chip flavor.

But we don't bbq our chili. The beans fall through, mate.

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

"We bbq without sauce and just rely on the great taste of the meat and wood-chip flavor."

=======================================

That would be known as grilling. :p

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

R_I, ketchup...catsup. aunt...ant. Literary snob!