Previous   Next

What type of soy products do you enjoy?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on October 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“I like baked tofu and frozen soy products like Soy Dream. I’m not a fan of soy cheese, but I eat it occasionally.”

“Soy milk, Central Soy Foods tofu, soy dogs, soy chicken patties and meatballs. We use soy protein powder, textured vegetable protein and edamame.”

“Tofutti ice cream, baked tofu and firm tofu. Soy nuts are really good too. I use soy candles, soy lotion and soy margarine. That’s all I can think of right now.”

“You’ve caught me in a soy transition, but I used to eat a lot. I’m trying to stay away from a lot of secondhand soy products. Now I only eat some organic tofu and soy milk about once a month.”

Related story

Comments

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

Marion: No homework is needed. You are some kind of nut.

You're Welcome, Bea

geppetto 8 years, 5 months ago

tofu is good. I eat it at least once a week. I eat pad-thai tofu, curry with tofu, spicy beef and tofu, and more

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 5 months ago

mmmm....time for a Mcfatburger and fries. That outta be safe, right?

linus 8 years, 5 months ago

blessedx3: You're killing me! I am literally CRYING, I am laughing so hard at your 11:32am post!!! You caught me completely off guard...and I thank you!!!!!

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

Char, anatomically, Marion is a male. But there is a lot of speculation as to what type of chromosomes actually inhabit his body in that, he whines like a b*tch!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe some soy estrogens could complete the job. (Or maybe that is the real fear???)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 5 months ago

There's a field of soybeans behind my house. That's about as close as I typically get to intentionally eating soy products. Why eat imitation soy products when I can eat the real things?

geekin_topekan 8 years, 5 months ago

Thai Hot curried chicken bowl at Zen Zero.Fabulous!!

libraffe 8 years, 5 months ago

One of my favorite ways to eat soybeans is in the form of.... edamame - I boil it at home, sprinkle it with a bit of salt and cayenne pepper, and then bring it to work as a snack. Yum!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 5 months ago

You know, for some reason, 68% is coming to mind right now but I can't quite remember why...

hrmm...

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 5 months ago

Marion's new title: "The only living expert on everything"...

Thanks.

Fatty

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

TOB, the pods are furry. You crack me up.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 5 months ago

OOps,the question was about tofu huh?I got caught up in the passion of the moment.Forget the chicken bowl at Zen Zero. Try yellow curry chicken and chile soup in a cream base with opt-in tofu.Yummy!!Perfect fall time comfort food.

Shelby 8 years, 5 months ago

Merrill...your resource also has links to "UFO-coverup" and "War-coverup" and "Mind control" cover up and....well, I rest my case.

BunE 8 years, 5 months ago

Wait! I think that we need to read between the lines. Did the Egg council get to you Marion? Is that it? Listen, we all know how rough those protein pushers play so if they have type "Franken Soy is out for your babies" and we will send help.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

OMB, you can't chastise the willing! ("else I woulda tried!) ;)

I just have to mention that Gootsie gets bad pun of the day award for her &:29 post!

Bone777 8 years, 5 months ago

Marion, you have converted me.

If avoidance of soy makes you an uptight, know-it-all, with the irritating habit of posting in a vertical fashion, I say bring on the GMO's. I will eat no meat!

oldvet 8 years, 5 months ago

Unlike Dave, I enjoy "secondhand soy products"... many of the things that get cooked on my grill or smoker were previously eating soybeans!!!

blessed3x 8 years, 5 months ago

I think I just vomitted in my mouth a little bit.

sourpuss 8 years, 5 months ago

Soy is okay, but all things in moderation. Never could develop a liking for soy milk or "tofutti", but I like firm tofu in stir fry or miso soup, and tofu parmesan is really really good.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

thanks Sue!

I think matresses made out of tofu would be interesting. Or maybe a tofu sofa (tofa?)

sister 8 years, 5 months ago

I am proud to be a GMO. I just might take this prejudice seriously.

oldvet 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey Bob... most of the things that end up on my grill used to be vegetarian!!!

frogtoad 8 years, 5 months ago

Ate non GMO soy product last night with other non GMO foods. It was of the cheese kind.

I also drank a bit of non GMO almond milk this morning. I hope that was okay.

Raymond Munoz 8 years, 5 months ago

Those Boca Burgers are pretty good! I think they're made with soy?

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

We eat soybeans,tofu,tempeh,soy ice cream and soy milk. That stir fry with tempeh and/or tofu is yumo.

Who sells Central Soy organic products:

The Merc Checkers HyVee Dillons Local Burger Wheatfields Zen Zero Tellers The Orient Royal Peking La Parrilla Naismith Cafeteria Student Union Deli(Sometimes)

In Kansas City: Blue Bird Bistro(17th&Summit) Eden Alley(on Jefferson in the Plaza) Kansas City Art Institute Whole Foods Wild Oats Brookside Market Mission Hy Vee Prairie Village Hy Vee

Beware of GMO products. This administration does NOT require that GMO foods be noted on food ingredient labels for fear that consumers will not purchase them. http://www.wanttoknow.info/deception10pg...

BunE 8 years, 5 months ago

Marion, sweet, frail Marion, Why do you hate the simple soy bean so much? It loves you. Were you attacked by a soy fed hippy mob in the early 70s? Did an restaraunt slip you some bad tempeh in the 80's? I worry because I love...

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

I know it's mixed into stuff but I don't really want to know about it. I would never drink soy milk, eat tofu (that stuff makes me gag) or any of that other hippy fruit and nut stuff (sorry guys, no offense) but I'm southern. We eat meat and real cheese and drink milk from a cow and that's just the way it goes. Sure we die early, but we die happy. I know it's in a lot of chinese food dishes, too, but since I can't find a chinese restaurant that I trust, I never eat chinese. Oh, btw, Marion, can you please, for the love of everything pure and holy, give it a rest today? Why do you try to take every innocuous topic and turn it into some big giant conspiracy? Just shut up and go away today, please?!

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm not necessarily disputing the claims of a certain vocal poster on the subject, but I looked at about forty sites, all links provided here, and looked through about 150 search results and it seems that all of the links touting the "evils" of soy end up with the same six or seven sources. Why hasn't the mainstream media picked up on this? I cannot believe that there is a powerful soy industry that prevents it. How do mainstream media companies benefit from this coverup? There can't be that much money in it (especially compared to the money in other processed food products(e.g. Altria, Cadburry/Schwepps)). Surely the beef, pork, and chicken industries would have interest in promoting the negatives of soy. Is there a soy lobby on K street? These are legitimate questions, not rhetorical ones that are supposed to imply the answer.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

There is so much soy in just about everything that, clearly, Marion does not eat.

Speaking of nuts, I eat soy nuts. I also eat soyrizo (quite good), tofutti, lots of TVP added to chili and burgers. I occassionally eat tofu but have never been crazy about the texture. I will drink soy milk if that's all that's offered because I prefer cow's milk.

I once made turkey and TVP BBQ meatballs and took them to my "fry everything in lard" family reunion. I had lots of people asking me for the recipe. They had no idea they were eating anything other than beef.

BTW, can someone explain to me why GMO's are BAD? Haven't we been altering plants genetically ever since we learned to cross pollinate them? Aren't all of our "pure-bred" pets just furry little GMO's? We love them. Why not love the furry little soybean, too?

jonas 8 years, 5 months ago

I think Eloise Kelly's response from above would have been a lot better if she had started singing a soy song a la Monte Python.

"Tofutti ice cream, baked tofu and firm tofu. Soy nuts are really good too. I use soy candles, soy lotion and soy margarine. Soy soy soy soy. . . soy SOY SOY soy SOY soy SOY soy soy soy soy.

. . . . soy.

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

Well, now, Marion, dear, as a Canadian, I can attest to the fact that there are a wide varitety of soy products available in my neck of the woods and I very much enjoy them. Raw soy beans for chili and soups, textured protein for burgers etc., both hubby and I eat a lot of soy cheese. I only drink soy milk Not to mention the ubiquitous soy sauce. I am well over the age of 21 and am mighty healthy. Soy has no cholesterol, which is good for our hearts and arteries. Thank you,

from ms_canada

feeble 8 years, 5 months ago

In the future, you might be better off using google scholar or some similar search to support your claims. An overwhelming barrage of links doesn't count for much when their content is unsourced, speculative or otherwise unsubstantiated.

That said, I present a counter-claim to the safety of Soy and Soy Isoflavones:

Here's the relvant finding from this paper:

Isoflavones have characteristics that are consistent with selective estrogen receptor modulators and not estrogens. As such, when consumed at usual dietary intakes consistent with intakes by Asians, isoflavones are unlikely to have the negative effects associated with estrogens.

Charla Welch 8 years, 5 months ago

I use soy milk, but only in my cereal or carnation instant breakfasts. I am slightly lactose intolerant, but mostly I just don't like the taste of milk. So we buy milk for the hubby and silk for me. Vanilla flavor is my favorite.

I've had some tofu and some veggie burgers (which most likely have soy in them).

On a side note, I thought Marion was a guy. That is, at first I thought marion was a she, then I went to a round-table and there was a he-marion that posted here. And he talked a lot, like the marion here, so I figured it was the same person.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Much ado o'er a little bean!!! And o'er a little poster!!! I've always thought whining like a b*tch was a compliment :) now whining like a baby, or a sissy, is another matter all together, that should not be tolerated.

I do not eat a lot of soy. The evil chemical MSG occurs natually in many of the procedures used in processing soy products, and for me MSG is a big no-no. However, several members of my family use soy milk (they also prefer the vanilla) and various types of tofu, they like it and so far have not grown any untoward appendages -- at least none that compares with the noodly appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster).

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

So, Marion, you also don't eat any kind of corn products because you can make plastic out of corn, too. My, your diet is getting quite limited, indeed. You poor unfortunate soul! It must be awful to grow all of your own food...that is the only way your going to get exactly what you want, you know.

BTW, just to bring you into this century, they can and do make car/tractor/whatever panels out of soy. (Maybe you shouldn't drive either.)