Previous   Next

Do you think riders of the T should be able to flag down buses or only get on at designated stops?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 6, 2006

Browse the archives

“Flag them down, for sure. Or they need to put in more stops.”

“They should be able to flag them down. Some people don’t know where all the stops are. You should be able to go out on a main road and let them know you want to be picked up.”

“I really enjoy that you can wave them down. In Germany you have to wait at the stop, and they don’t give you a chance if you’re late or running after them.”

“I don’t see a problem with it if they add more stops. Right now there aren’t very many places to get on at.”

Related story

Comments

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Designated stops. I agree with BrianR. It's a pain to get stuck behind one of those busses as it is, but if they're pulling over every time someone flags them down, traffic would be even more out of control around the city. If people can't get to a designated stop on time, I have no sympathy for them. They could add some more stops, if that would make it easier, but picking up everyone that flags them down isn't the answer.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

Stop running the whole shebang.

As much as the T cost to run per rider, the city could subsidize the taxi company, quit the T, and be way ahead in the long run.

BrianR 8 years, 2 months ago

There are already rides you can flag down, they're called taxis. It is bad enough sometimes when busses pull over and block a lane; being able to flag one down would create chaos. What they need to do is eliminate bus stops where the bus can't get off the road.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

We should be able to flag them down.

I hope Doro doesn't get too much flack or mistreatment due to her statement about Germany. In this town it isn't safe to say anything negative about Europe. We luuuuuuv all things European!!

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Such hard little noses this lovely Friday (payday) morning!!! This isn't NYC, the streets aren't lined with people wanting to catch a ride, the system needs more riders, let them flag. For some people walking 3 blocks to the bus stop (that is what it would be from my house, 2 blocks to the route then another block to the stop) could be a very difficult walk. Yes, people with disabilities can be picked up at their homes, but they have to pay twice the fare AND be put on the schedule several days in advance.

Maybe some of the complaints from drivers are also due to the I'm always late syndrome. It usually is for me :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

No flagging! That is craziness. If I needed to be at a place at a certain time and knew (according to the bus schedule) when it would get me there...I'd be all sorts of bent if flaggers screwed up my schedule just 'cause they couldn't get their lazy bums to the designated stop. If the problem is too few stops, then put in more.

Bierocks? We don't have to drink dark skunky beer, do we?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

I am under the impression that most bus systems do not allow for "hitchhiking," as R_I called it. Limiting buses to actual marked stops would probably be better for traffic flow and for the timeliness of the bus system.

secretresistance 8 years, 2 months ago

This is stupid. The T is a "black hole" for lack of riders, so lets make it harder for people to ride it. Maybe the fee could be slightly raised for flagger-downers, thus encouraging stop getting-on.

Chicago_JHawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Why not compromise. Run 3 out of every 4 buses that only stop at marked stops. Every 4th bus (specially marked) will stop between stops for flaggers, as well as the bus stops. I bet most people would make their way to a designated stop to alleviate the risk of watching several buses pass them up as they stand on the side of the road. Virtually every other bus system in the world pickup/dropoff only at marked bus stops, and they seem to work just fine. Sure you miss a bus every once in a while, but another one comes along eventually.

conservative 8 years, 2 months ago

Designated stops only. Add additional ones if the problem is that they are too widely spaced. And definitely make it so that all bus stops don't block a lane of traffic.

smiles 8 years, 2 months ago

Riders can only flag down the T near round abouts.

I am sooo there at noon - save me a bierock!

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

The wheels on the bus go round and rou...stop. Ok, the wheels on the bus go roun.......stop....The wheels on the bus go round and......stop.

No flow. Designated stops definitely.

ModSquadGal 8 years, 2 months ago

FLOGGING DOWN A BUS???? That's just wrong. I've never heard of such a thing... what has the bus ever done to deserve such treatment...
What? FLAGGING, you say? Oh.

Never mind Cheddar.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Flogging is fine, although a little mean.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry about stepping on your toes, R_I! Maybe we can have a National Throw Bierocks at * Day. I can feel the love now. Nothing like the smell of warm cabbage atop angry people already covered in ****.

TOB, I suggest to celebrate, you say words all day that have to be censored, and (for the gals on the board), dress totally in pleather. German pleather would be best because of the holiday today.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 2 months ago

Everybody feels entitled to do anything they want...

...just throw a hand in the air and everything stops for them.

Walk those flabby thighs 1/2 block to the nearest station. Save all the other riders, or rider...err, driver constant whiplash.

geppetto 8 years, 2 months ago

People should flag down buses. They also should pay extra for that little convince of no walking to the designated stop. It should be called the lazy extra charge or I'm late all the time charge. Think about it, with the extra money Larence should be able to build more stops and soon there would be a stop on each street, corner, stop sign, traffic light, etc.

blessed3x 8 years, 2 months ago

Those opposing the "T" should take a page out of the liberals playbook. We can show our opposition by a "T" bus slowdown. It's easy. A few hundred of us will position ourselves every 75' along 6th, 23rd, Iowa and Mass. streets. You will wave down the bus and 75 feet down the road when your cohort waves down the same bus, you can exit and take his place. The last rider on the street simply makes the entire loop back to the beginning of the street. It shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 hours to traverse each street.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

they need to trade in the T buses for some old geo metro 3 cylinder engined cars. the metros should appeal to all of the lawrence eccentrics (people with beards M/F, scraggily unconditioned gray hairds -the retread hippies, people with nose rings, people with ear hoops, people who smoke a lot of dope, war protesters who say they support the troops but at the same time call our soldiers war criminals, the atheist contingent, the anarchist contingent, card carrying ACLU types, people who drive Volvos that still have an 'i believe Anita' bumper sticker, you know - the people who frequent the downtown. plus they get great gas mileage so it helps protect the mother earth godess they teach about in public schools, so the harmful diesel fumes from the 10 mpg T doesn't get into her system.

they are already called 'metro' so they could change the name from the T to the 'Metro.' they are small enough that they won't cause too much hassle when passing -when they stop to pick up a flagger. after they hit 100,000 miles they can be driven to the junk yard for recycling. then, the city can purchase more geo metro replacements on ebay - for a couple of hundred bucks each. THAT would be money better spent - but it probably still wouldn't make a profit.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

I think they should put handles and running boards on the outside of the bus. That way, people who don't find actual bus stops could just grab a ride without making the bus stop.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

My mommy made bierocks too. Loved them!

We can fill them with fruitcake or something.

Yes, you can borrow it. I'll wear the trench coat. Life will be good.

let's ankommen dieses Party gestoben!

cutny 8 years, 2 months ago

Gosh R_I...so much time on your hands. Nice to see you use it so productively. Didn't read it by the way. Can't imagine many others did, either. Flag the buses down, what's the big deal?

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 2 months ago

A fellow Chicagoan comes up with a great idea!! And no surpise either as we Chicagoans are very experienced with Rapid Transit: RTA, IC, CNW to name a few available in Chicagoland. Trying to get a Jeffery Express when you want one can be a b**** though.

I don't have an issue with the busses being flagged down as long as it is at a safe place, corners for example rather than in the middle of the block (and a KU bus will pick up anyone at a corner on it's route BTW).

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

I used to make bierocks...just never knew what they were called! Doh! That sounds good. I should make them again but tonight is Mexican food night. mmmmm... (I'll just tip a margarita in honor of our German Americans.)

Gootsie, that is a waste of perfectly good bierocks! Can I borrow your pleather boostier? If I get that, along w/ Ceal's whip and thigh high boots, I'll be good to go.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

I think if I was riding and needed to be somewhere at a certain time, I'd be a little frustrated with all the stops.

Today is National *** Day.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey now Bob, tread carefully and take off your hat when speaking of the Irish ;)

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

What do you think about the t-shirt controversy at Free State? They had some printed that say " I GO TO FREE STATE HIGH" and has some funny smiley face on it. There may be a thread about it somewhere, I haven't looked.

juscin3 8 years, 2 months ago

LOL@ the comment bone made earlier. Never would have thought of singing the Wheel's on the Bus song...lol too funny, but true. I personally think that they need to have more bus stops. It is a lil annoying going down Iowa and they have to stop because someone needs picked up and you are right there at the light. I don't agree with the flaggers. If you can't get to the stop, then to bad so sad for you. It's bad enough that the buses stop right there at the bus stop. They have had to fix the holes that are over behind JC Penny's on the count of the buses sitting there waiting for people to get on. Pretty soon the holes aren't goin to fix and they will have to repave the road. Oh wait, I'm in Lawrence, the road will never get fixed! They will probably put in another round-about....hmmm...nah, buses won't fit through there then..lol

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Ceal, beau-hunks recipe: pick beau-hunk when young and firm. train train train*

this is a very difficult recipe to master and many just give up in the process. If you manage to pick a good beau-hunk that trains well, the end result is worth all the effort...most days

Kontum1972 8 years, 2 months ago

what kind of artist are u Jennifer...painting, sculpture, ceramic..etc?

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 2 months ago

Sue,

The whip, hip boots and bustier are very likely to be helpful in the training process. A lad who was desireous of being under my tutelage, ah-hem, used to say, "O-o-o-o-o-oh beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks!!!" It made me laugh so hard I just about ocnsidered it.

Kat Christian 8 years, 2 months ago

Well what about streets that don't have an "official" stop? say I lived on a side street off the bus route and the bus rides by as I'm walking toward the stop (which could be blocks away). Should the bus stop for me or pass me by - then by the time I get to the bus stop I've missed it and have to take another one. Sounds really petty to me. Add more bus stops and if there are only a few needing that extra stop then why not. Is it that necessary for us to become an even more heartless/thoughtless society? What does it really hurt to go that little extra mile and do something nice like picking someone up who is heading toward the bus stop in the first place. Lighten up PEOPLE - there's enough hate in the world - let's start paying it FORWARD. AMEN!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

A_A, that's a hoot! The hubby uses that same line...I don't think he's ever written a bad check, though.:(

TOB, Any hen that has spent almost half of her life training a rooster would never opt for a younger one! (no-matter how fine the plumage);)

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

With bacon and applesauce, right? Yummmmm. You're forgiven ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

sunshine, the problem is that with a functional bus system, the bus arrives and departs at a certain time. Adding 1 minute every now and then on a route with multiple stops really adds up. Then everybody is cranky because they are all late. Why not just get out of the house and to the stop on time? That train of thought does not make society heartless, it merely indicates that we know things operate more smoothly when we all participate in following the same rules. Thoughtless would be a term saved for the person who would expect the bus (and everyone on it) to make a special exception just for them by stopping at a non-designated place. It's not at all about hate. Hate is a strong word. Let's save it for later. But, let me add, that if you were behind me in the grocery line with only a few items, I'd let you go in front of me. That is a nice thing to do, and yet it hurts nobody.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

sue, you are so right. After a while all that fine plumage means is that you have to clean house more! You think they won't molt, but they will . . oh yeah. . . feathers everywhere and only you to pick them up.

Forget about the bus question, folks. Just take it easy, tap up some www.live365.com go to Celtic Music, select Celtic Highway and drift away with the flutes, drums and harp guitars. ~~~~~~~~~ drifting ~~~~~~~ makes it hard to be upset, even if you're Irish.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 2 months ago

An absolutely grand idea Ceal!! . . . but I have one more comment: My home is conveniently located across the street from a bus stop and my son utilizes its services several times a day (who says nobody rides the bus? My baby ain't a nobody!!! But he can still buy his own damn car and pay the insurance! He's employed). Even with the current pick-me-up-wherever policy it runs pretty timely. Moussolini would be jelous.