Previous   Next

Will you be participating in Kansas University’s homecoming?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on October 2, 2006

Browse the archives

“I’m going to watch the game and maybe go to the parade. I’m also going to watch Kathy Griffin. She’s the official homecoming celebrity guest.”

“Yes. I love homecoming. I’m going to get dressed up and go to the game, and I’m going to watch my friends in the parade.”

“Yeah, I’m going to the game, but I’m not sure I’ll make it to the parade. I know there’s some stuff going on downtown, so I’ll probably check that out.”

“No, not at all. I don’t really like football. I’m more of a basketball fan, and I’m not that into school activities.”

Comments

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

in spirit, yes. otherwise nope.

and claire, for God's sweet sake, kiddo-lighten up! :) soundin' a little snooty, there! :)

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

Darn, inmate. I thought this may be a big announcement on your release. Maybe Kathy Griffin is smuggling you out in a suitcase?

Becca 8 years, 11 months ago

I thought homecoming was for high school. Is that Kathy Griffin, of "My Life on the D List" Kathy Griffin?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

nope. Ever since I didn't win homecoming queen in high school, I've had issues.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

My indentureship to KU requires that I participate in certain areas of Homecoming. . . I'm trying to keep a very low profile and voice no opinions. . . hoping that will keep my name off of the latrine duty list :)

Ken Miller 8 years, 11 months ago

I'll roll out of bed, hopefully IN TIME to make a 11:00 kickoff, then have a bunch of people over to the house for a blow-out BBQ and rollicking good time. And I didn't even GO to KU.

Becca 8 years, 11 months ago

Why crawl out of my house when I just sit inisde and hear everything? And not freeze.

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

pig blood?? oh, ss-what's that all about?? sounds pretty oogey!

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 11 months ago

If drunk at the game counts, count me in.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Becca, yep, that's her.

I'm w/ Gootsie...since they did that whole thing where they threw all that pig blood on me, I've just not been keen on going to homecoming. They should have known better.

jonas 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, I bought such a pretty dress, it would be a shame to not attend.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of such duty. . .OMB, I saw that you were on Marion's list over the weekend. I was going to sign on and gripe about this year's Ren Fest but didn't want to butt in :)

juscin3 8 years, 11 months ago

Gootsie, you crack me up with your posts! Good to see people still have a sense of humor. :) I won't watch the football game, however, IF I don't forget, I will have to take the kidlets downtown for the parade.
How bout the Hawks not losing so bad on Sat.?!?!?!? Bout time they score! LOL

davisnin 8 years, 11 months ago

Kathy Griffin? Did the city council have a hand in that?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

I would, but it's sort of a long drive. Plus, Michigan is playing Michigan State on Saturday. (The same Michigan State that just handed Illinois its first conference win in a while. At home.)

But I did just experience a football gameday at Notre Dame. Truly, it is the Green Bay of college football. I can't imagine the craziness of ND's homecoming.

linus 8 years, 11 months ago

triity...you must be a young'un!!! Watch the movie "CARRIE"...you'll understand! And...I wouldn't make Sue mad!!!

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

oh linus dahlin', to be a young'un again! :) i'm really very familiar w/the movie carrie-i'm just aghast that ss had to endure pig's blood thrown on her?? wow!

and i've no intention of making ss mad, whatsoever-she's one of my fave posters on this forum!

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

omb, although the Renaissance was during the 14th - 17th centuries, each year since our Ren Fest was turned over to a management company it has sunk deeper and deeper into the bowels of the dark ages. We have fewer shows each year and more vendors. Now the majority of said vendors are just carneys with a new focus. Several of the shows had "Not for little ears" posted at the top of their billing (mind you these are open air theatres).

Maybe I picked a bad weekend, . . . maybe. . ., but ours seems to have become a weekend home for every goth teen in the five state area. Our once lovely "Faerie Trail" has been stripped down to scrub brush and is the "Barbarian Battle" site :(

I have always loved the Ren Fest and I'm very sad about what it has become. We left early, returned to Lawrence and went to a movie.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

"And yes, bob, there is more rant to come :) I never have been, and am still not, one who either judges by or makes fun of a person's size. However, there were a huge (pardon the pun) number of women there who do not know the difference between being buxom and being obese. Let it suffice to say, wench's costumes should never be sold in 5X." -Ceal

Ceal, I kid you not, that so cracked me up...snot just shot out of my right nostril. Yeash! Glad nobody was here to see it. That would have been so embarrassing!

Trinity, you get the immunity idol today. :)

Kontum1972 8 years, 11 months ago

i would rather see the bottle of sierra mist instead of kathy Griffin....in fact stewie griffin would be a better choice..now that is comedy..everytime stewie opens his mouth its darn funny....

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

RI, I have no idea what you're talking about. Many people tell me that I am the voice of calmness and reason. (I even got that typed w/out laughing!)

OK, what's up w/ the school shootings? Another one in Penn this morning? In an Amish comunity? I think I'm almost ready to start home schooling. What the he!! do we tell our kids..."Fly under the radar so as to not attract attention?" This is seriously upsetting me. (Spit may fly)

Teapot9 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes. I typically make a fool out of myself on Homecoming. Just another one of those amateur nights I fall victim to all too easily. Hope to remember seeing you at the game. I will be wearing blue.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 11 months ago

Who would wear blue to a KU game? I mean, really.

Michigan's slogan this year is "Go Blue - Wear Maize." It has been reasonably successful. However, a couple weeks ago I walked into a local Meijer and saw a table full of shirts that said "Real Fans Wear Blue." It's like Meijer has something against the U-M Athletic Department or something.

Soapdish 8 years, 11 months ago

WoOt to the Alumni Band! That's all I'm saying...

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

FUNNY STUFF y'all!

R_I - OH YES on the spandex. Nothing turns me off more than a guy who looks like a Ken doll down "there".

bjamnjm 8 years, 11 months ago

I owe $23,000 in student loans, I can't afford to go to homecoming. My favorite part of previous homecoming games was the alumni band.

trinity 8 years, 11 months ago

yay, the immunity idol eh?? ok, i won't press the query, lol.

i share the utter heartache&total confusion about today's and recent school shootings. WTF is UP with people?? for a second i was ever so grateful that my young'uns are all raised&out of school; but now, as i gaze at my lovely wonderful miraculous grandbabies' pictures-i'm scared all over again, down to my core. wow. this has got to stop.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

The pole is yours. Bea and I would be honored to have it used in such a positive way. I am feeling the love.

I'll polish it up tonight and have my domestic unit supervise.

WOO HOO!

Mike Blur 8 years, 11 months ago

Many of the Kathy Griffin haters don't know, and probably don't care, that she has been to Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times on USO tours performing for our troops. She should be thanked and applauded for supporting our troops in a manner that's much more meaningful than slapping a $5 magnetic ribbon on a vehicle.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

wow - why would you say we don't care? I didn't know that. Good for her and thanks for sharing in such a delicate and tender way.

oldfashiongirl 8 years, 11 months ago

No, I won't be attending the homecoming. I would like to answer RI's question of "where did she come up with that one?" (the 2nd amendment giving citizens the right to bear arms.)

It is covered in the Bill of Rights to the Constitution and noted as Amendment II. I believe the original lawmakers meant you could tote a musket type long barreled gun, that you could not conceal, and had to be loaded with gunpowder and then fired. It certainly didn't mean small pistols, A-K 47's and the like as used in this day and time.

Another item, many of you may think you can just show up at the voting booth and vote come Nov. 7th, and you may in Kansas, I don't know as I tried googling the voting laws of Kansas and couldn't find an answer. To be on the safe side, call your County Court Clerk's office or wherever registration is done and get the scoop on that. In Kentucky yu must register 30 days before election. The right to vote is one of your most valuable rights, so use it. Don't let me hear you whine about some law got passed you don't like, or some politician was elected simply because the people who could have made a difference by voting simply sat home on their duffs and did not vote. Yes, you have only one vote, but you must use it IT DOES COUNT!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

oldfashiongirl, I would just bet that R_I was poking fun at the Mrs. saying (to paraphrase) where did she learn about that?

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

mike: I got my magnetic ribbon for only 2.99 (Wal-Mart). . furthermore, I like it AND Kathie Griffin.

omb: be sure to give us a report on your Ren Fest -- I just know the Texas Fest will be like a whole nother country:)

RI: one of the "executioners" walking the grounds yesterday was wearing black spandex tights with a wide belt and boots (definitely should be banned). trinity: Belt down, Ken doll, belt up, de-frocked Friar Tuck. There are outfits that would not look good on me, I don't wear them because . . I have a mirror!

Worst part was the lack of comraderie among the crowd. I miss people greeting and or smiling at each other for no apparent reason, just being nice. Half the time you couldn't hear a performer because people were standing around talking on cell phones. . . loudly!!! I'm at ??? where are you? Have you seen ???, where was she? Cretins, total cretins.

Oh, and the poor serfs with rats sown to their sack cloth garmets were not there, and neither was the "sniffer" man. Bummer, bummer, bummer.

On the bright side, "Open Season" was a really cute movie.

bjayhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Just so you all know...Student Union Activities (a programming board on campus) is bringing Kathy Griffin.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

sister,

what RI was trying to say is, no, sue is not his spousal unit

sue assures us Mrs. RI exists, she may just be a little more sane than the rest of us :) Mrs. RI that is :-P

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceal, Mrs RI is far from sane. (She married RI, afterall!) And she has all these crazy friends that she has to deal with. Then to put up with a public "lurid cyber footsie affair" between her spousal unit and me must be sending her close to the edge. Maybe Mrs RI and Mr s_s could form a support group. ;) It could meet on Friday evenings at Mrs RI's house and she could supply the beverages. Spouses are, of course, allowed to participate in the airing of grievances. Gootsie, can we borrow your festivus pole?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

TOB, RI>Sue is correct when speaking strictly in terms of mass. :oP