Previous   Next

To what lengths would you go to sell your house in a buyer’s market?

Asked at The post office, 645 Vt. on October 1, 2006

Browse the archives

“I would just make the price affordable; maybe throw in a hot tub.”

“I would just make sure it’s neat and trim. I think most people want to see that it’s well-kept-up.”

“I would be willing to do quite a bit of home repair, like painting and recarpeting. I would also try and do some landscaping.”

“I don’t think I would sell my house in a buyer’s market. I would wait. Maybe I should buy another house and rent it out.”

Comments

Bone777 8 years, 8 months ago

I would put wall to wall carpeting and a disco ball.

lunacydetector 8 years, 8 months ago

you mean it's official? the lawrence housing market bubble has burst?

i heard second hand that topeka was ranked 5th in the nation in affordable housing. a comparable 4 bedroom house in lawrence will cost 65% more. i haven't found this information online yet.

but it makes sense. you see people, smart growth does NOT work. it just makes things more expensive. no wonder lawrence is losing population, but that was the goal of the progressives when they ran for office.

so next election, please everyone, get out and vote. aren't you tired of lawrence being so abnormal and pricey to boot?

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

would that be wall to wall shag, bone? :)

i agree with the lady who said she wouldn't sell&would maybe buy another house, in a buyer's market, and rent it out. capitalize!

Ken Miller 8 years, 8 months ago

rent a house out, huh? Nice idea - before Compton decided to build a gazillion new apartment units. Let someone who is trying to sell a house since March officially proclaim: The Lawrence housing market bubble has burst, and the remnants are spewed all over this town.

mommy3 8 years, 8 months ago

It's just as bad for renters. WHen someone buys a house at a crazy price, they rent it out for an crazy price.

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

R_I - you know what Solomon said was fair to the two mothers disputing over the ownership of the baby.

Godot 8 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Oscarfactor. Compton has successfully ruined the rental market in Lawrence by over-building apartments, and he has taken the price of homes down with it. Soon he will start buying up the properties that won't sell, and at a bargain price.

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

We have a rather stressful situation here in Alberta. We have an economic boom here and people are flocking here from everywhere to take advantage of the employment opportunities and those poor folk are having a devil of a time finding accommodation. Our phones rings off the hook with desparate people still living in hotels, motels and even holiday trailers (we have apt. buildings) And the prices of houses are going up scandalously. This morning during breakfast a man called practically weeping. His rent has been jacked up from $650 to 950 for a 1 bedrm suite. Rotten greedy landlords should be shot. It is definitely a sellers market here.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Ms_C, you must be every renter's dream landlord!

GO CHIEFS!!!

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

R_I - point taken, good points taken. It is the way of the world, is it not. And I sure have no real quarrel with it, but a $300 raise does seem excessive, does it not. Some people on fixed incomes will not be able to handle that and what are they to do. They will never find another place for that price. It just does not seem fair to me. I may find fault with my good man from time to time, but I thank the Lord that he is not a greedy man.

Bronco7fan 8 years, 8 months ago

you can buy my duplex. Im moving. $100,000

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 8 months ago

It doesn't matter what you ask for your house, it will be too much because it likely cost too much to begin with. Real Estate is one of those "make believe" markets where everyone feels like they deserve a hefty "cut". Buyers and sellers are incedental.

brotherskeeper 8 years, 8 months ago

The clean house in a nice area will sell. But right now is a low activity season anyway.

If you decided to have cats pee on your carpet, your walls haven't seen paint in 5 years, you desided not to water your lawn and have foundation damage, and the hick neighbors have a big ass boat they park in the street ... you will have some trouble.

I know people that have siding coming off their house and sheets for window treatments and can't believe it wont sell for what they are asking.

This market is a weird one. The houses aren't built that well and people don't seem to make the money needed to maintain them.

Don't know much about renting here... but if all the talk about new apartments being built, it sound like a good time to be a renter.