Previous   Next

Do you miss having snow days?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 30, 2006

Browse the archives

“Oh my gosh, yes. You have an excuse not to do anything.”

“Actually, yeah I do. You get to sleep in, play in the snow, and I miss playing Atari way back when.”

“Yeah. I miss playing in the snow and just having time to be a kid. Not having to go to school; you can’t beat that.”

“Definitely. Getting to go outside and do things in the snow is probably what I miss most.”

Comments

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

I don't have to commute anymore! I don't have to commute anymore! (sorry Harley)

It appears we are having a snow day. Now that doesn't mean I get off work. But it is going to be snowing.

I love all the variations on the forecast. What an easy job that is!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Really, what matters is this: what did everyone's favorite doomsday weather forecaster say about the wintry weather?

jonas 8 years ago

No, I hated snow days. Having to stay home from school. Not having responsibilities. Playing in the snow. That was all so sucky. And communist, too. Do I look like a hippy?

/What a dumb question! Here's to a full day of 99 variations on "yes." With occasionally a posting of "no, because I STILL HAVE SNOW DAYS! NEENER NEENER NEENER!"

trinity 8 years ago

heck i'm taking a "snow day" today! and what's with all this acting like they're too old or whatever to play in the snow?? i play in the snow, still! why "miss" playing in the snow just 'cos you're not a kid anymore? i just don't get it...

geekin_topekan 8 years ago

When I was a wee one,seems I remember Two snow days.Once in 71 and again in 73.Otherwise it was hell or high water. I tell my son about the new atari' 8" floppy instead of a cassette,and that it was so much better because it only took 5 minutes load.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

I also miss two-week Christmas vacations, one-week spring breaks, and two- to three-month summer vacations.

Speaking of snow days, I think it's fun that you guys got hit with a blast of winter while we up here had temperatures in the mid-60s. It felt like spring yesterday. I photographed a hockey game last night, and it was weird to walk outside and have it warmer outside than it was inside this late in November.

But it's supposed to get colder today, so ... thanks a lot.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

OK Redzilla. Where was your hometown? We have some SW KS folks on here.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Sgt, we've heard everywhere from 1-3 inches to 10-12. I would say we will get about 2" at my house. It's usually quite dramatic. Our local weathergirl was at work until 11 and came back at 3 this morning. But they did call off school in Lawrence, which is unusual.

And I agree with Py - I really dislike the wind.

But I would guess Hannibal likes this weather - lots of already-frozen humans available outside.

craigers 8 years ago

blue, I completely agree about the people in the right lane. I went to pass some of them this morning and that whole right tire on dry pavement and the left tires on ice wasn't very comforting. Oh well.

Yes, I wish i had a snow day today so I could sleep in and have hot chocolate.

Redzilla 8 years ago

What I don't miss are wind advisory days. I grew up in southwest Kansas, and although we rarely got snow days, we occasionally got out of school, because with the wind chill the temps were below 60 below zero. Too much risk of frostbite to send the kiddies off to school. So, stuck at home, unable to go outside, and usually the television went out.

ms_canada 8 years ago

Here in the frozen north, and I do mean frozen, we could do with a little less snow. It is already piled so high on the sides of my driveway that I can't see to back out to the street. And it is really cold. Like 41* below with the wind chill. That is what it was the night I arrived back from the deep south. My husband, waiting for me to clear customs, said there was a large plane load from Puerta Vallarta just before us and many of them were wearing shorts and sandals. Boy were they in for a surprise!!! Silly people. And can someone tell me what a snow day is. We don't have such things here.

Dixie Jones 8 years ago

Some of us still get snow days....hehe the perks of working in a school dist....... everyone be safe and have a great day ,,,, they say not as much snow now ...... hummm school tommorow oh well baking today !

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

We rarely had snow days when I was a kid, no matter how deep the damn snow was. I remember many a time walking to school, and coming across ridges of snow (where someone had cleared a parking lot or driveway) so high you practically needed a ladder to get over them.

We didn't get spring break back then, but we did get about two weeks for Christmas vacation, which they actually called Christmas vacation...:)

Let's see...our only days off from school were labor day, Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas vacation, Easter vacation, one teacher's meeting and two parent/teacher conferences every school year.

No in-service days, no spring break.

EasilyAmused 8 years ago

What upsets me is the skating rink that is posing as our parking lot. 1) hard to drive on 2) hard to walk on Just think of the tragedy and liability if someone can't walk to get out of the way of a car, and the car can't stop. There isn't a lick of salt on the entire lot - or sand.

Ceallach 8 years ago

Gootsie, welcome back to Mount Olympus!!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

A few years ago, my brother was up and actually out the door when the call came that school was cancelled. As he was walking down the front walk, he started to turn around to answer the call ... and he slipped and fell on the icy sidewalk. No injuries, but not much happiness at the timing and the results.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

My Tongie going kids got the good news at 9:15 last night...well, they would have if they weren't already in bed sleeping :):):) All I had to do was go turn off #1's alarm clock and I was good to SLEEP IN!!! (I think the reason Tongie cancels is because of so many rural bus riders. Don't wanna have a large torpedo sliding off of a back country hillbilly road. Lucky us!)

Snow days? Where's the snow? I'm tired of ice days. I really want some snow so I can fire up the sled, grab all of the gravity motivated downhill devices, grab all of the country hillbilly children, and go find a really big hill. That would be awesome!

Ceallach 8 years ago

peachesncream: don't forget the tradition . . . those at home baking must offer virtual treats to those less fortunate souls who are working :)

Back in the day, LHS did not close for ice, wind or snow. We also had a dress code that did not allow girls to wear jeans/slacks to school. We had to wear jeans under our skirts to walk to school without freezing, take them off and store them in our lockers during the day. . . . hmmm, no wonder we rebelled!! Had to wear skirts, no equal pay for equal work, oh yeah, and what decendent of the Marquis invented the bra, we couldn't even . . Oops, sorry, got carried away again. . .nevermind.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Thanks Ceallach! It's good to be home.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

RI, Still lovin' that castle in the air? :P
p.s. luge runs should not have large boulders stuck in them!

Ceallach 8 years ago

RI, you are truly blessed if your spousal unit has the wherewithall to pray when feeling stressed on the highway . . . mine screamed like a banshee, cussed like a trooper, constantly instructed me and second-guessed my every move. Now I remember why I have never remarried :)

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Ooh, I forgot about that part, Ceallach...walking to school in skirts because they didn't allow girls to wear jeans or slacks.

Yeah, that was brutal. And leg warmers weren't "in" yet...

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Ceal, the hubby once took me down this God forsaken quadruple black diamond run at a ski place. (I may exaggerate...only a bit) Let's just say...it's the day I earned my reputation as a sailor. I prayed afterwards...for forgiveness of my sins. :)

RI, thanks for the mental image of the nun praying. That is a hoot. Even if it's probably true.

beatrice 8 years ago

We don't get snow days, just heat advisory days.

Ceallach 8 years ago

Damn, bea! How cold hearted of you to rub our noses in the ice that way :)

trinity 8 years ago

ceal-here's the virtual treats that i've just finished baking!!! (::) (::) (::) (::) chocolate chip cookies, in case anybody doesn't recognize 'em! semi sweet&white morsels, some have nuts, others don't.

i'll keep y'all posted for when that luscious smelling pot of ham&beans that's simmering on the stove gets done, heheheeee...and when the cornbread's ready!

Ceallach 8 years ago

You're killing us here, trinity!!

acg 8 years ago

I love snow days! I miss having my own, but now that I have kids, I can always call in "school was cancelled, not my fault". :) I have the biggest sledding hill right in my own back yard. The problem is, it ends on a lake. Wouldn't be a problem if the cove was frozen over, we just sled down the hill, drop off the bank and hit the lake and skid across. My step son loves it! It hasn't been cold enough for it to freeze, yet, though, so now you have to be quick enough to throw yourself off of the sled before you get to the bank or you're going in the water. That makes for an unpleasant sledding experience.

trinity 8 years ago

no intent to kill, only to offer a warm invitation, lol...mannnnnnn the house smells yummy! :)

i LOVES me some snowy winter days!

i'm (usually) about 40 minutes straight south of lawrence...but today, specially later on-more likely a couple hours?? depends on how many dingdongs blow through the stop signs at the junction&create traffic tie ups.

Ceallach 8 years ago

Seems there are advantages to having those spousal units after all :)

betti81 8 years ago

i miss snow days, water main break days and mercury spills days too...aahhh what a fun filled time Oskaloosa was for my six years there...

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Methinks Blue and TOB are one and the same....

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

(::) (::) (::) Thanks Trinity! (I ate one!) It was delicious! Get 'em before they're gone!

Maybe I'll make chili tonight??? I rode on a Harley once. It was fun but a bit scary on the gravel.

Bone777 8 years ago

cellogrl 8 years ago

I too am a teacher and got a snow day. They are pretty sweet! I stayed up late last night and slept in late today! WOO HOO!!

trinity 8 years ago

lol, luv it, bone! "Yes, but now I call them 'Sick' days and I can have them all year long without my mom trying to make me eat chicken noodle all day."

you're welcome ss! :)

awww y'all had to go talkin' about harleys...i'm a former "asphalt angel" and LORDIE do i miss my lil' sportster! :( days like this, way back when-i'd go out to the garage&start her up, dream of warmer days when i'd be out in the wind. :*(

imagold 8 years ago

I, too, stayed home as I had anal glaucoma...couldn't see my rear end going to work today. Actually, I started and thought why? It was still icy and I wasn't going over 30 mph. So, my first two batches of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are out of the oven and number three is baking. Eat up! -(::) -(::) -(::)

beatrice 8 years ago

Trinity, how about some peanut butter cookies, too? (#) (#) (#)

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

How about some carrot cake?

[^^] [^^]

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

how about lattice topped apple pie? ######## ___/

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

(o) (o) (o) (thumb-print cookies or hershey's kisses cookies?)

Celeste Plitz 8 years ago

<<<<<<Here in Phoenix we are having a cold front coming through -- we are dropping to highs in the upper 50s. brrrr. It got so cold last night I had to cover up my tomato plants. (Don't want them to go bad before they bloom in another month or so.)

We don't get snow days, just heat advisory days.>>>>>

Ha ha Beatrice, I live in Chandler, and that 50 degree weather is killing me! My blood just can't handle anything lower than 75 anymore...brrrr! I don't know if I could even survive living in Kansas anymore, the rate I'm going! ;-)

trinity 8 years ago

wow it's become a smorgasboard on here! i love it!

& ( )B <<<---cup o' coffee with a splash o'the bailey's&a dollop of whipped cream on top! ;)