Previous   Next

What is your opinion of football fans tearing down the goalposts?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 29, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think that even if you wanted to stop them, there is no way you’re going to stop a flock of drunk and determined college students.”

“If it’s a championship game, I don’t see why not. But I know it costs a lot of money to put them back up.”

“I’ve never heard of that happening, but I could see how it could cause a problem. It sounds like vandalism to me.”

“I think it’s just fine. That’s what they’re for, scoring points and tearing down after the game. But I think those who rush the field should be responsible goalpost tearer-downers.”

Comments

cutny 8 years ago

It's ridiculous. If not for the fact that 99% of the people tearing them down were privileged, drunk white men, it would not be allowed. Spengel's opinion is a naive, "Catch 22." Sober, responsible fans would not tear them down. It's criminal at best, and dangerous at worst.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years ago

"I think that even if you wanted to stop them, there is no way you're going to stop a flock of drunk and determined college students."

Hmmmm...

Tear gas? Bean bag shooters? Shooting blanks?

What a sight that'd be, eh?

sublime 8 years ago

Beatrice--Thanks for you feedback-I see your point,it was mostly white men. Cutny was trying to create an issue.If 200 brown people tore down the goal post ,do you think they would call out the national gaurd or the riot police?No.The thought of thier skin tone never crossed my mind.In my opinion,it was a bunch of college kids having fun.These will be the best years of thier life ,let them enjoy it .Who cares how much the goal post cost.As much tuition as these kids pay out, I think Kansas University can afford new ones.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

I heard some guy's Hummer (the vehicle) was badly scratched at the KSU football game as the goalposts went towards Potter Lake.

I agree with Ken.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

I don't believe that for a second. I do believe you can't prevent them from storming the field (without unnecessarily extreme measures, anyway), but the goalposts can be protected -- whether by a security force (see Ohio State, as the article mentioned) or by collapsible goalposts.

Also, the article didn't mention that in addition to surrounding the goalposts with security, Ohio State also coated the goalposts with grease.

Really, the ideal would be to have the fans (students) stop tearing down the goalposts without such preventive measures, but that's not realistic. But I think it is realistic to protect the goalposts.

geekin_topekan 8 years ago

"I've never heard of that happening,..." ++++ Volleyball is my new favorite sport.

esubrett 8 years ago

One simple phrase.... Act as if you have been there!!

By the way, how have you never heard of this happening? It happens all over the country.

Aileen Dingus 8 years ago

It is ridiculous. If it were for the National Championship, maybe it'd be fun. If it were for the league championship, maybe it'd be fun. But for the "woo- we beat Crappy Team U!" games, it's just destruction and a waste of money.

Someone should have nipped it in the bud but didn't, now what do we do?

I went to a university that won the National Championship in football. The only goalpost I remember coming down was one on the IM field, nobody could touch the ones in the stadium. There ARE ways to stop drunken college students...

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

blue, it's more than just potential -- not too many years ago, there was a serious accident in Ohio when students were tearing down goalposts.

I'm confident that's not the only story like that, either. But interestingly, if you google "injured goalposts," many of the early results have to do with soccer, not football.

Eric Beightel 8 years ago

The best way to stop goalposts from being torn down? Consistency on the field which breeds a better, more intelligent fan - a fan that expects to win and isn't inclined to celebrate after every mediocre victory.

That takes time.

In the meantime, coat them with grease and post extra security in addition to a media campaign in the UDK and LJW to urge fans to leave the goalposts.

Tearing them down is a sign of mediocrity to the rest of the nation.

canyon_wren 8 years ago

Just like the apparent obligation to give a "standing ovation" to virtually every kind of performance, whether it deserves it or not, tearing down the goal posts has lost its significance and surely doesn't justify the damage and cost of putting them back up. People seem to be incapable of saving "special celebrations" for the occasions that deserve them.

There must be some good ways to prevent that!

Aileen Dingus 8 years ago

esubrett-

I've heard of it. I've seen it- but never on the scale that KU had last year and never for such "mundane" wins. (Yes- I realize every win is a win, and the team does well, but you know what I mean)

Why are we discussing this now anyway? Isn't the season over?

Sigmund 8 years ago

Three words. Rebar re-enforced concrete.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Forget mild shock, TOB -- you have to make it enough of a shock to get through the alcohol.

You could make the goalposts giant tasers...

beatrice 8 years ago

My opinion of them is not very high. Students shouldn't be allowed to destroy school property, and any that do should be kicked out. That would stop the problem even better than virtual or electric posts. Besides, its not like the school would allow the bowling team fans to charge the lanes and tear out the pin setter after a major win, so why do nothing against vandals when it comes to football?

The group-think of needing to trash something just because everyone is excited is silly at best, and potentially dangerous. I say, leave the goalposts alone, and go straight to damaging Hummers.

pelliott 8 years ago

i am sick of letting it go. oh they are just drunk students. They vandalize, they destroy, drunken and I say often, very nasty behavoir goes unchecked because these are privledged. Arrest their butts. When lewd on the streets, arrest their butts, when they playfully steal or destroy others' property, ticket, court. Then if possible close the frat house they are connected to. If the drunken student is an adult back to remember his joys and he acts a pig, arrest him or her,. This won't happen, not to sports culture, which is pretty sick in America. Now if it was homeless, poor, ethnic, or idealogical people running in the street the oh aren't they cute they feel so good they want to destroy someones property might sound crazy.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

This is such an easy issue to solve.
Virtual gaolposts is not the answer...that is no fun for the fans. Get air inflated goalposts!!! You can just inflate them for the game. You can even have giant Jayhawks perched on top of the posts. The wind factor could add to the fun of the game. All the fans on one side could just wave or blow frantically trying to make the goalposts lean so that the kicker would miss the goal. After the game, uplug massive extension cord and "viola!" No more goalposts!

chapdaddy 8 years ago

No golapost tearing, unless it's vs. a Top 10 team, IMO.

Also, no storming your own court (IE- vs. Texas 3-4 yrs ago).

Storming the court in Vegas vs. Florida was questionable.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Wait, wait. It's not the goalposts that should be holographic -- it's the students! That would REALLY solve a lot.

Plus, it would be a lot of fun to watch holograms climb all over the goalposts.

(I would argue the true functionality of holographic goalposts, anyway.)

Kristen Murphy 8 years ago

K-State has 1 goal post that is able to be torn down, and the other is unbreakable. When K-State beat Texas this year, they had over 100 security guards in a chain lock guarding the post that was able to be torn down. The students failed to break the one that is supposed to be "unbreakable". If the University really wanted to keep the goalposts up, they would make an effort to protect them. Clearly, they don't care.

If it's a #1 team in the nation or they have captured the birth of their conference, then go for it, but to beat a team that is doing okay is dumb.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

I like Sue's idea! The goalposts would look like the Nebraska mascot!

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Okay, Gootsie, thanks for reminding me of Nebraska's stupid mascot. It's mascots like that giant inflatable bowling pin that make me inexpressibly happy that Michigan does not have a mascot roaming the sidelines.

Seriously, if you're going to have a mascot, make it real, like Bevo or Uga.

sublime 8 years ago

mom_of_three 8 years ago

Last year, someone was almost hurt when the goalposts were torn down for one of the games (Mizzou, I think). A security person was hit on the head when the posts came down. There is security by the entrances to the field, but those poor guys were run over. Maybe if we win more, it won't happen.

mom_of_three 8 years ago

virtual goalposts - i like that, sue....

it would also be fun to see them play with a virtual football -

you may have created a whole new game

commonsense 8 years ago

I am tired of it. It's embarassing. People I know from K-State were laughing at our celebratory behavior. People I know from out of state constantly remind me of our goal post antics. Truly embarassing.

beatrice 8 years ago

Replace goalpost destruction with human sacrifice. Every ticket holder's name (which, I'm afraid, includes the infants since they too have to have a ticket) is put in the pot. If they win, the lucky person gets sacrificed at mid-field, and their name will be placed in the Jayhawks' super-fan hall of fame (a very true and great honor, indeed, that will bring pride to the fans' families for generations).

Plus, it will help bring forth healthy crops in the spring.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

bea, I do believe you've come up w/ a fantastic alternative!

Mo3, RI= virtual, sue=inflatable (that sounds weird!)

pelliott 8 years ago

bless you beatrice, the images brought by the virtual posts being climbed by virtual students, with the live sacrifice honored, brought just what I needed this morning, a good hardy laugh. rah

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

The hubby would like to offer up his idea for "retractable goalposts." After the game, the posts would retract to safety in mere seconds.

Confrontation 8 years ago

"People I know from K-State were laughing at our celebratory behavior."

As if they have a right to make fun of our fans. Has anyone ever heard the lyrics, "Like a bridge over troubled Iowa Street," or is it "water"?

H_Lecter 8 years ago

bea's idea is the best. We'll have to add more seating to the stadium! Perhaps a different sacrificial procedure each game would be fun. If we want to really give the crowd a chance to participate, stoning would help work off some of that post game excitement. The scoreboard video will really be nice too.

Bone777 8 years ago

When teams 'expect' to win, they prepare. Ohio State had hundreds of uniformed officers surrounding the post, in a planned formation. Something like a triangle. Very effective.

For us who are surprised by any win, I like the thought of mounting the post on a mechanical bull.

H_Lecter 8 years ago

TOB,

Now you're talking. Nothing like good BBQ for the tailgate!

Bone777 8 years ago

MAN-GIGANTIC-O

Definitely some kids straining and buried up to their knees in the turf, with Mangino's feet still touching the ground.

Bone777 8 years ago

Oh, and 'ruptured testicles' everywhere.

beatrice 8 years ago

RI: fbdtopeka just wrote "ruptured testicles," yet I'm the man-eater? Speaking of which -- Paging Mr. Ryan, Mr. D. Ryan -- what was with removing RI's 11:30 post? He obviously was joking about me, and I took no umbrage. Ease up, oh mighty censor. (IP, be careful today!)

Bone777 8 years ago

My, mechanical bull mounted goal-post, idea would not work at KSU.

You would have a hundred goat roping students, holding on with one hand and waving their hats in the air with the other, every game.

beatrice 8 years ago

I think topeka has a crush (pun intended).

Jeteras 8 years ago

Hey if you want the goal posts back they are up here in north Lawrence in the catch basin of the river. I see them every morning when I goto work. I saw them last year in the same location sticking out of the water. Get on the southbound lane bridge and look over at the nice lime green stick out of the water

Harry_Manback 8 years ago

I think it's stupid. I have a friend who broke her leg last year from tearing down a goalpost. Even when I went to the games where it happened, I never contributed to tearing it down cause it seems ridiculous. Besides, where is all this money coming from to replace them?

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

RI...comment removed??? Is this a first? And I missed it. Dang!

It's been sleeting in my neck of the woods for over 2 hours. Better have a 4 wheel drive to make it to your castle on the hill.

beatrice 8 years ago

As long as it didn't rhythm with "bunt," I don't see the problem.

Bone777 8 years ago

If I may interject into your discussion, I think it rhymed with "dropulation".

Bone777 8 years ago

or mopulation, sopulation, fopulation, copulation, opulation, ooopppsss!!!!!

trinity 8 years ago

LMAOOOOOOO ohhhh bone i needed that laugh this afternoon! :)

thankies to ya!

Alison Roberts 8 years ago

wow.. where has that Amy Ayers girl been? "never heard of that happening..."

wow.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Posted by from_beautiful_downtown_topeka (anonymous) on November 29, 2006 at 1:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Speaking of testicles...

How long do you suppose it's been since Massivegino has seen his?

Years, I bet!

And that goes for his feet and toes too!

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! KEEP THESE CRUMBY COMMENTS IN TOPEKA,' K?

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Bowing

When you learn from Bea You learn from the Bea-st!

sublime 8 years ago

Quote from cutny-"If not for the fact that 99% of the people tearing them down were privileged, drunk white men, it would not be allowed."----Leave it to a weak minded fool to try and twist this into a race issue.

beatrice 8 years ago

sublime, I see you have lightened the tenor, if not the intent, of your removed post from this morning. I agreed with your thought when I read it earlier, but since you re-posted I was curious to see if cutny was indeed making this a race issue, or if he/she was simply being observant.

Having just looked at the photo of the KU students tearing down the goalpost (and I recommend you do the same), I could spot just one Black face in the crowd -- and he was watching the destruction, but not actually taking part in the tearing down of the post. Based on the visual record alone, I think when it comes to cutny's "white men" observation, he/she is correct, so may not be making this a race issue afterall. However, one obviously can't tell if the vandals are indeed privileged or drunk, so cutny might still be guilty of being too judgmental.

renegade 8 years ago

"I've never heard of that happening, but I could see how it could cause a problem. It sounds like vandalism to me."

• Ami Ayars, volleyball coach, Lawrence

Volleyball is now myyyyyy vavorite sport. ;-)

Imp 8 years ago

I am sick of people complaining that our fans tearing down the goal posts is "embarassing", "stuipd" and "ridiciculous". Our fans were celebrating a victory over our in state rivals which we have only beaten twice since 1992. Let us not forget how K-St. fans reacted after beating KU throughout the 90's. K-St. would be undeafeated , beat a KU team with 1 win and yet they would go crazy, rip down the goal posts, and party all night like they won the national championship. I remeber ( 1994? i think) where K-St. won in Lawrence and K-St. fans rushed our field and torn our goal posts down. I also remeber Manginos first year, that year we won only 1 or 2 games, when Missouri fans torn down there goal after beating us in Colombia. Its not "ridiculous" its just something that happens in big rivaly games and it happens everwhere not just at Kansas.