Previous   Next

Do you think that Lawrence should have multiple satellite libraries or one main library?

Asked at Massachusetts Street & Borders, 700 N.H. on November 28, 2006

Browse the archives

“Multiple libraries. You can’t have too much of a good thing. They would be more accessible to everyone.”

“I think they should just do one huge library rather than a bunch of satellites.”

“I like the idea of satellite libraries and having a main hub, but they would still need to improve the main library.”

“I really don’t know. Multiple libraries might not be as good for the people who lack transportation.”

Comments

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

multiples with a main hub.

i like the sound of josh's job, where do i apply? "liquor representative"-i'll stand up for Bailey's. ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Multiple! "Horse! Are you dead?" whack, whack! "Get up!"

Liquor rep...I'll be the Jose Quervo Especial rep...but I may not stand.

sublime 8 years, 2 months ago

I like the idea of just one big one.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Alrighty then.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Maybe they could put a library as often as they wanted to put parks. What was it? No more than half a mile from any residential area?

southerngirl 8 years, 2 months ago

Couldn't they do both? Improve the main library and then add 1-2 Bookmobiles that could drive from location to location on a schedule? If I remember right, that is what Topeka does?

I missed yesterday's question and loved all of your answers and since we have already discussed the library question to deant, my answer to yesterday's question is anything by Manheim Steamroller. Saw him in concert in KC-did you know that Chip Davis, the main guy in MS is also the guy who sang the "Convoy" song in the 70's-You remember, "It was the dark of the the moon on the 6th of June in a Kenworth hauling logs..." I also love the "Ava Maria" song by Celine Dion and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" carol just to sing.

I took a personal day and stacked medical appointments for the kids and I today, so I'll check in occasionally. I'm so excited, I was bored not working (yes, I'm one who loves to work), but I miss not checking in several times each day.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

"I really don't know. Multiple libraries might not be as good for the people who lack transportation."

Wouldn't multiple libraries be better for people who lack transportation since they would more likely be closer to one?

southerngirl 8 years, 2 months ago

Dibs on being the Captain Morgan rep!! I can't do the tequilla. Apparently after 5 shots I am walking and talking, but don't remember any of it. I am also sick foir a week!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Off topic alert OK, one of my guitar playin' buddies says if you watch the whole clip, this kid is off on some frets. I don't know ('cause I don't play), but if you play guitar (or not)...let's take a vote. Real or fake? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtF2DCGgIE

you at least have to wonder who is playing drums and one tiny section of violin in the middle... you also have to wonder if it's a kid or a yound man... I'm leaning towards "fake" (guitar). I'm leaning towards a "real" Christmas tree. now back to your regularly scheduled programming

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

The real question is this: what Christmas songs should they play at the satellite libraries?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

IP, trot on over to that Collin Street Bakery and have that golden fruitcake sent directly to my house. Yummmmm. Can't wait!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

"Whatever gets the people to the library more, which I though would be several small ones around town placed near schools."

Anyone know what I meant???

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm back to leaning towards "real."

Sgt, how about Judy Garland and Pat Boone?

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

SS, I don't know if it is real or not, but I am leaning towards real. There is a delay with the guitar playing and his motions, but that could be video problems. However, I wish more old classis music would be done like that. That was cool. Thanks for the share.

southerngirl 8 years, 2 months ago

Sgt-

On the first day of Christmas my mother read to me. The classic War and Peace! One the Second Day of Christmas my mother read to me A Tale of Two Cities and the classic War and Peace.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

The question sounds like we should choose, "multiple satellite libraries or one main library." In order for the satellites to be satellites . . . wouldn't we also need one main library?

My vote is to upgrade the downtown location and create satellites.

southerngirl 8 years, 2 months ago

The first Novel, the Head Librarian did say was a certain poor reader with Enquirer to peruse. Novel, novel, novel, novel..

southerngirl 8 years, 2 months ago

...and the ever classic... All I want for Christmas is a big library, a big library, a big library Dont care about the cost, want a big library...

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

craigers, jonas sent that out yesterday so he gets the credit for the cool link. Real or fake...still pretty impressive to look at! (things that make you go hmmmm...)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

...and wait, there's more... "I'm gettin' a library for Christmas, Mommy and daddy are mad, There taxes are going up again, They think that branches are bad!"

Janet Lowther 8 years, 2 months ago

Branch libraries are a pain. Whatever you want is allways at another branch. . .

southerngirl 8 years, 2 months ago

Love the Cannon and love it on electric guitar, but don't think it is real.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Ceal, apparently these would be satellites without a gravitational pull holding them in orbit. Yikes.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

Kansas City has branch libraries and it works out wonderfully. Yes, sometimes there are books at another location but they are shipped, for free, to the location closest for you to pick it up at. If you don't go at the last second to get a book that you need and you plan ahead, you can get books from all over the city by just making a quick stop at your nearest branch. You can also log on from your internet at home, find out where the books are, reserve them if they are at another branch, and not even go to the library until the books are there.

I vote satellite.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 2 months ago

bankboy, thanks for talking sense. In a city the size of Lawrence, it would take a day at most to get your books sent from another library to the one closest to you.

I don't think we need lots of little libraries, though. How about just one or two more plus fix up the one we've got?

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it is a mix of recorded background and the Kid? playing along the whole re-recorded. As for the Canon, I am a traditionalist and George Winston's piano version is as far left as I will go. Satelite libraries, we call them branch libraries. Of course ours is a different situation than Lawrence, our city being so large. We have about 10 branches and they work great, but they are big. When my branch does not have the book I want on their shelves, they order it, call me when it is in and then I pick it up. Works great. I think that if you do get your satelites, they will be small and with a limited stock of books and you will then have to wait until it comes in from elsewhere. If you are not in any rush, this could work well for you. I arrived home late last night to a blustery, freezing (9* below F.) What a shock, thought I wouldn't make it to the car. Streets and highway just a sheet of ice. A normal trip to airport of 40 min. took us over an hour. could hardly get in our driveway for the snow piled so high. I just knew it was going to be a nasty winter. but it really is good to be home. My cat jumped over the moon to see me.

girly 8 years, 2 months ago

I would like one, nice big library in a convenient, more western location with ample parking and lighting. I love to go to the library, but had to quit because the stench of the homeless people laying around napping was unbearable. I don't know what to do about that, but I had to leave because the smell was so strong.

Harry_Manback 8 years, 2 months ago

They should improve the main library to make it more like Johnson County's main one. It's by far the nicest public library I've been to. The smaller libraries would help (especially for kids who may want to walk or bike to the library, but can't cause it's too far), but they should really work on improving the main one.

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

A Satellite library branch would work fine AS LONG as the books one wants from a particular location can be transferred to the location the patron is at. Now, what were the city leaders afraid of in the massive expansion Bruce Flanders wanted? I know exactly what they did: They SQUANDERED the money they had & WASTED the money on IRRESPONSIBLE projects like roundabouts. That money could have been put to better use, like the library expansion Mr. Flanders wanted in the First place!

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

Who needs libraries, as long as Hastings has chairs and serves coffee???

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, maybe this is actually their way of moving the homeless shelter, like they asked in the question not too long ago. Subtle and clever -- I like it.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

Sue, it is real, but with a twist. The reason for the slight discrepency is that "he says he recorded the audio and video independently and then matched them inexactly." This quote is from the New York Times article this past August about this very video. Here is the link -- enjoy! http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/27/arts/television/27heff.html?ei=5088&en=5b993ce30a7b7039&ex=1314331200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Centrist 8 years, 2 months ago

I think one "satellite" location would be helpful.

How about putting one in West Lawrence, keep the one downtown (improve only as absolutely NECESSARY) then place one in Eudora & Baldwin City apiece. Call them Douglas County libraries, thereby pooling resources, staff and computer systems .. and also making taxpayers from the whole County support the library.

Centrist 8 years, 2 months ago

... and while I'm at it ... we have too many levels of government. I say abolish City government once and for all and just have County. We have 'em anyway, so why not!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Bea, I'll forward you my golden fruitcake when it arrives.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

weren't nothin. I just remember reading the article, and a simple google search brought it right up. And I think, if you can record anything like that in the first place, it is real!

skewed_veiw 8 years, 2 months ago

Why not have the nice big main one and make school libraries work as satellites during non school hours? For the children...

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

I rode up and down an elevator at the parking garage the other night with a homeless person. I think he was "bedded down" for the night in a warm, sheltered spot. He did smell just a little bit but he was rather good humored and very pleasant company. My kids were a bit freaked out by him but I'm happy to say that he bugged me not in the least. Did I offer him help? Nope. (I believe the alcohol on his breath is what kept him out of the shelter across the street.)