Previous   Next

What is your favorite Christmas song?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 27, 2006

Browse the archives

“Bing Crosby’s ‘Jingle Bells,’ with the Andrews sisters.”

Silent Night,’ no question. The words and the melody are so beautiful and haunting.”

“I love Christmas music. It’s the familiarity of the songs. You know all the words and you can harmonize with them at top volume in the car. I like anything but ‘Jingle Bells.’”

“I think it would be Bing Crosby singing ‘White Christmas.’ That’s one of the first Christmas songs I remember hearing as a kid. I guess it’s just the one that sticks in my head.”

Related story

Comments

chapdaddy 8 years ago

12 Days of Christmas, by Bob and Doug Mackenzie.

Take off, you hosers!

geekin_topekan 8 years ago

Any tune from "A Muppet Christmas Carol". Michael Cain's finest ever.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

jonas, this is for you:

"Oh Holy Night" hands down. I started singing it to my babies at bedtime one year and they made me sing it for years after that. (Guess they like it, too.) But, their current fav is TSO's "Wizzards in Winter" which is the music playing in the clip. We have to rock out to that one.

jonas 8 years ago

Great link, Sue. I'd seen one or two of those before, but I think that one might be the best. I think that's how retired sound and light engineers keep themselves entertained since they can't choreograph concerts anymore.

One of my friends back in high-school could do something like that with the interior lights of his mom's Grand Cherokee. It was pretty amazing.

canyon_wren 8 years ago

I love all the old carols--of course, "Silent Night" is tops on the list, but my next favorite is "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

Of the more modern songs, I like Nat "King" Cole's "The Christmas Song" (I think that is the title of "Chestnuts roasting by an open fire...") and Perry Como's "I'll Be Home for Christmas" which always makes me sad in a good way.

I don't like the fact that you hear Christmas music everywhere 'way before Thanksgiving, but time passes so quickly anymore that I guess it does give a little more time to enjoy them

trinity 8 years ago

Vince Vance&the Valiants(i think that's their name!)-"All I Want for Christmas Is Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"
purrrrty great song! :)

sublime 8 years ago

Im not a humbug,but I don't care for christmas music.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Most songs not played on the 24-hour Christmas music radio stations. I know radio stations are in the habit of playing the same songs over and over the whole year, but seriously -- in the history of recorded music in this country, can't they find more than the same ten songs to play every day?

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Anything from Burl Ives. And that one song by Andy Williams.

jonas 8 years ago

I'm afraid the only one that doesn't make me want to hurl is Christmas in Sarajevo by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

And, of course, Jingle Bells as sung by the Holiday Hawk.

redneckwoman 8 years ago

"We wish you a Merry Christmas" by Destiny's Child I think. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra are good as well.

acg 8 years ago

The Boss' version of Santa Claus is coming to town.

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Py, YES on Santa Baby! TOB/SGT - Yes on remakes (If Mariah Carey comes on, it's switch channels for me)

Aileen Dingus 8 years ago

Oh Holy Night. Even the Cartman version. ;)

"Oh Holy Niii..." BZZT! AIIIGGGHH! WTF????

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

second favorite: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gL24H2lXTo4 do I really have to pick just one? Ms_C, you'll like this one!

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight Come and trim my Christmas tree With some decorations bought at Tiffany's I really do believe in you Let's see if you believe in me Boo doo bee doo

trinity 8 years ago

i dunno 'bout y'all, but i'm having an awful hard time getting back to work, here...have some diversion, on me! :)

i have GOT to get beyond 3....

jonas 8 years ago

Hey, I played the Pachabel's Canon song for my sister-in-laws wedding.

I've found a good version of that one too, more in my style.

Er, no, that's not me. I'd need to practice for a year before I'd be back to even close to this level.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

jonas, that kid playing canon was awesome! I've already e-mailed it to my guitar playing friends. Can't wait for my babes to get home so I can show it to them!

Yes, I'm w/ Trinity...when will I ever find time to work today?

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

trinity, 11. I stink, and now, I really have to get to work!:) p.s. took me a minute to figure out exactly what it wanted me to do. :/

Ceallach 8 years ago

Oh Holy Night for my fav spiritual song . . . Santa Baby for just plain fun :)

trinity 8 years ago

heheeeee, ss-you're WAY better'n me! i can't get the *&%^ thing in the air&keep it there! (i won't say can't keep it up, hah-i'm a girrrrl!)

Linda Aikins 8 years ago

I can't get it past 8. Took me a minute too but it reminds me of Pong.

Balls in the air.

I don't want to work today either. help.

Bone777 8 years ago

Anything Manheim Steamroller plays with a Christmas theme on the cover.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Py, you've now made me think of my list "of all time WORST" Christmas songs: Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and "Blue Christmas" by Elvis. Gaaaaaggggggg! And, I use to like it but my kids overdosed me on "The Hippopotamus Song."

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Another good one: "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by the Bare Naked Ladies.

OK, really getting to work now. :)

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Py, you mean you don't like that Christmas Shoes song? I can just picture the song bringing a tear to your eye ... right before you throw the radio in the fireplace.

The Christmas song that always makes me laugh is the N'Sync song that says something like, "I never knew the meaning of Christmas until I looked in your eyes."

H_Lecter 8 years ago

The Eagles version of "Please Come Home For Christmas"

ms_canada 8 years ago

Ah Pachelbel - Sue how right you are, his canon is one of my most favourite pieces of music and that version is quite beautiful. Thanks for that. My fav Christmas carol is Oh Come, oh Come Emmanuel. and I also love Good King Wenseslas. Well, folks, my California sojourn is over, my sis is kicking me out, she is sick of me. It has been nice. Talk to you all tomorrow

ms_canada 8 years ago

Jonas and sue et al - another really great version of the Canon is by George Winston. It really swings for me. I just love all his piano pieces. jonas, what instrument do you play? If piano, have you heard George Winston on the Canon?

I_Bejewel 8 years ago

I love Manheim Steamroller's rendition of Silent Night and Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Carol of the Bells. Does anyone remember that song sung by a little girl (I think it was a Christmas song). "Dear Mr. Jesus" "Please don't let them hurt your children". It was at least 20 years ago. I know I shouldn't laugh because it was about child abuse, but I was a kid at the time and changed the lyrics to make a more funny version and would sit and laugh (yes, I know I'm sick). Brings back warm and fuzzy Christmas memories..... like the time my sister and I sang, "Deck the halls with gasoline....fa la la la la....." My dad didn't think it was so funny.

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Py, I'm glad you appreciated that gift so much -- it was very easy on my budget, too. Everyone wins!

sister 8 years ago

John Denver's "A Baby Just Like You" and Adam Sandler's "Have a Happy Hanukkah"

Shelby 8 years ago

"O Magnum Mysterium" by Morten Lauridsen

ms_canada 8 years ago

I_bejewel - yes, yes, the Mannhiem Steamroller Christmas album is one of the best and their version of Oh Come, oh Come Emanuel is so good.

jonas 8 years ago

Mrs. C: Sorry, but I play the guitar, and have not learned the piano. Always interested in good music, though, so I might have to hunt that down.

Teapot9 8 years ago

Bruce Springsteen's "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Santa Claus is coming to town". Hands down! Other than that I really dont enjoy Christmas music

Sean38 8 years ago

I had recordings of Christmas music that was wonderful- like, John Lennon, for instance, and many other as well as alot of spiritual ones, also. Up here in the Seattle area they play Christmas music throughout the entire holiday season on one of the stations.

ms_canada 8 years ago

jonas - guitar is great. I love guitar, my son plays guitar. And here is something funny, (maybe), when he was little his sisters, for a reason beyond me, always called him jonah. His name is Mark.

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

I would guess my very favorite is "The Christmas Song", by Nat King Cole, but "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby is a close second.

I've got a CD by the Chipmunks (yeah, Alvin, Simon and Theodore!), and though you might think it's hokey, there's a verson of Greensleeves on it called "Oh Christmas Time" that's really beatiful.

Oh, and the whole soundtrack from the original TV version of Rudolph. There's an instrumental version of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" on it that I think even you could stand, Pywacket.

ms_canada 8 years ago

prospector- maybe that was it. But he didn't seem to mind them calling him that. /well I must be off to the airport now. Won't get home until late tonight. Bye Bye

Shelby 8 years ago

"Christmas at Ground Zero" by Weird Al Yankovic

SpeedRacer 8 years ago

Mele Kalikimaka (Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters), Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt), The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole), Christmas Dream (Perry Como) and Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland) are all on my favorites play list.

irnmadn88 8 years ago

Little Drummer Boy.

And Joan Jett's version is not bad either.

Shelby 8 years ago

"Walking In A Winter Wonderland" is probably my favorite traditional christmas song...also "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman"

Shelby 8 years ago

re: WIAWW.....if only for the wicked-sick key change

Shelby 8 years ago

oh, and "Good King Winceslas"(sp?)

sgtwolverine 8 years ago

Good King W... can be fun just to hear people try to pronounce the king's name.

Melanie Birge 8 years ago

I enjoy Grandma Got Ran Over By A Raindeer and not sure who sang " I'M Getten Nutten For Christmas" Fun songs.

Cynthia Walker 8 years ago

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" "Here We Come a'Wassailing" "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" Coventry Carol "The Holly and the Ivy" "Lo! How a Rose E'er Blooming" "Let it Snow" "Winter Wonderland"

I'm a Christmas caroler by profession (for one month of each year, at least), so I've got a million of 'em.

kcwarpony 8 years ago

Anything from Bob Rivers' Twisted Christmas cds.

kansaskate 8 years ago

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" - It's like Bolero in that the same theme is repeated over and over but all the while it's growing and becoming more and more magical and moving.

Also, not necessarily Christmas, but "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" recorded by Nancy Wilson is an often overlooked holiday song and is really one of the better ones, I think. I recommend it.

kansaskate 8 years ago

Oh, but mostly I grew up with and LOVE The Chieftan's "The Bells of Dublin" CD. It's got all the best old English hymns and carols.

Alison Roberts 8 years ago

ugh tough one.. "last Christmas" by Wham.. hahah

classic:) its my fav. cheesy christmas song.

Kyle Neuer 8 years ago

"Fairytale Of New York" by The Pogues.

I'm also quite fond of a reggae X-mas record I've had for years.

Mannheim Steamroller is outlawed under the Geneva Convention as cruel and inhumane (I worked in a retail record store the year it came out and can NEVER hear it again).

"The Christmas Song" was written by Mel Torme, btw.

canyon_wren 8 years ago

What is/was cruel and inhumane about Mannheim Steamroller? Their Christmas songs are great, as are some of Narada's.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

Vince Gauraldi's Peanuts stuff, and "Father Christmas" by The Kinks.

FireMarshall_Bill 8 years ago

Mannheim Steamroller was tested in a prison environment and the prisoners reported a dramatic increase in the desire to commit violent acts on other people.

I heard that John Valby had some excellent Christmas songs. He plays piano and sings. I was told to download some of his songs, but I don't subscribe to any service.

BunE 8 years ago

Baby its Cold Outside Dean Martin

"Put some records on while I pour"

Classic!