Previous   Next

What do you shop for on the day after Thanksgiving?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 24, 2006

Browse the archives

“Christmas presents and shoes.”

“Pants, work clothes and a winter coat.”

“Probably clothes. Sometimes Christmas presents if I find them or things I need for my house.”

“I usually don’t have a specific shopping plan. I mainly shop for ideas for what I want for my birthday and Christmas.”

Comments

southerngirl 7 years, 4 months ago

MommaeffortX2- buy the fake tree in the after Christmas sales if you don't have one already so your hard earned money doesn't go to the retailers, go real until then. Just my cold medicene induced thoughts...(going for the empathy points from Sue so Bea doesn't hog them all)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

bea, that is a great quote!!! 500 points for bea.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Ms_C, when my siblings and I were youngin's, we had a paper route to earn that much needed cash to buy "whatever." A "perk" of the paper throwing business in those days, was that each paper had to be rolled and secured with a rubberband. Therefore, rubberbands were plentiful in our house and many a "rubberband fight" would spontaneously errupt. (Many were instigated by my dear, sweet mother!) Anyway, last night, the old game was spontaneously resurrected by a mischievious friend. I'm much better at the game now as I've figured out that one's (almost 75) year old mother makes a pretty good shield between myself and would-be rubber missles. :)

Sigmund 7 years, 4 months ago

I've got bad news. I just heard that "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving) is NOT the busiest shopping day after all. Apparently, "Black Saturday" (the last Saturday before Christmas) is now the busiest.

SpeedRacer 7 years, 4 months ago

I went to Penny's at 5:15 this morning to get a free snow globe for my nephew. Then went to Walmart for dog food. That place was MAD. I am pretty much a last minute shopper. I get more in the spirit closer to Christmas.

Pywacket 7 years, 4 months ago

Ms C~ Let us know how Casino Royale was--I've been reading good things about it.

Am I the only one who doesn't need OTC nostrums to get through post-feast Friday?

Some folks use rubberbands to castrate baby calves, lambs, & such.

Not that anybody around here does that...

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

We are not shopping today but are hoping to get into a theatre some place to see Casino Royale.
I did eat too much yesterday, help, I need some help. Can anyone spare some antacid? sue - what the heck does R_I do with rubber bands? Catch you later, gotta go. My sis is calling.

beatrice 7 years, 4 months ago

Just saw this, and thought I would share:

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." -- Will Rogers, humorist (1879-1935)

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 4 months ago

If I go shopping today it is for the neccesities not the gifts but I will ot likely have to go today. Shopped for turkey day at moms bet forgot food for after so unless my kids want cereal for the next couple days gotta go out. need a tree also but still have not figured out real or fake was going toward fake but with it being so warm now I kinda want real oh well I still have 30 days

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

Sue, Did some precocious sprite profusely posit willy nilly this prodigious precipitation of aforementioned rubberbands?

delegatezero 7 years, 4 months ago

I just read another article on the "deals" people were getting. Computers for $200, laptops for $400. You all know you can get these types of deals any time of the year if you just go to the right places online, right? If you wait in line all night to get these "deals," then something is REALLY wrong with you! Perhaps your time must not be worth much?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't shop for anything. I deliberately avoid shopping on the day after Thanksgiving, simply because of all the other people who do. I hate the whole commercialization of the day, and would rather do my shopping more leisurely next week.

Any stories yet of mobs and injuries at any Wal-Marts today? I bet there will be some.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

RI, yeah, it's like after Christmas when you find those "little ornament hanging wire thingies" everywhere...only these are rubberbands and they just keep turning up in the oddest places. And, just for you: I'm perplexed by the perpetuity of these pernicious pieces that have penetrated my parlor.

As for shopping, I would, but I have to change the air in my tires today (so they don't explode) and then I need to go find a left handed screwdriver (but I forget why).

Marion Lynn 7 years, 4 months ago

Actually nothing as I always lay in a good supply of aspitin, Ibuprofen and antacids before the holiday weekend.

Thanks.

Marion.

southerngirl 7 years, 4 months ago

Delegate, do you deliver to Tennessee? Nah, I just took some cold medicene and am putting up the Christmas tree with my 12 year old son. Thanks anyway...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 4 months ago

sue,

Do you have an abundance of rubberbands preponderantly lying about the floors of your abode?

Pywacket 7 years, 4 months ago

I pick up a glass of wine and some crochet needles, shop my a** into my easy chair, and settle into a delightful day of cartoons: Aqua Teen Hunger Force... Drawn Together... Tom Goes to the Mayor... Robot Chicken... it's all good!

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 4 months ago

When are all the right-wing haters going to gripe about media bias here?! It's all women in the pictures, and this will threaten lunacydetector's and right-thinker's fragile sense of white American conservative manhood!

Bone777 7 years, 4 months ago

Tools, tools, and more tools......

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

a good vacuum cleaner powerful enough to suck up rubberbands.

delegatezero 7 years, 4 months ago

Awww southerngirl... need me to make you some chicken soup? ;)

southerngirl 7 years, 4 months ago

I dont either. My kids will be with their father for Christmas so I will take advantage of the AFTER Christmas sales to get my bargins. It is kind of nice to not have to worry about all of that and just enjoy the holiday season. Okay, who gave me the head cold. Last night my nose stuffed up and this morning my ear hurts and my throat is sore and I feel gross...lets just stick to sharing good wishes please....

ohjayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

hitme - don't forget the asprin, too

Actually, i've already done some shopping for my wife this morning. This is one of the few days that she is working when I'm not. So, I have to take advantage of that and do most of the shopping for her today.