Previous   Next

What are you thankful for?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 23, 2006

Browse the archives

“I’m thankful for being here. I’m thankful for my wife and kids, and I praise God for my health being in pretty good shape.”

“I am thankful for family health and a new community that has taken me in. I’ve only been here since August. The people in Lawrence are great. They’re giving in all seasons.”

“I’m thankful that I get to spend Thanksgiving in Lawrence with my friends and family. Some of them are coming into town for a pre-Thanksgiving party, and then I’ll be having dinner with my parents.”

“I’m thankful for the people I love, my pets and my winter formal dress that I just got. I’m also thankful for my school and the education that I have.”

Comments

bradpitt 7 years, 4 months ago

earn it ? she is a seabury academy student... come on... no way... she is not thankful for her parents ? for her life ? but for a simple dress that she gonna wear one night.. put inside a box or donate... and forget about it...

bearded_gnome 7 years, 4 months ago

well, thanks for the tip of the hat, or whatever, Nudy. I've missed participating here just don't have enough time in morning then the number of posts here gets away from me.
I've always enjoyed your posts too.

nudist 7 years, 4 months ago

Well put!

You da man b_gnome! I've missed your posts lately!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 4 months ago

we don't know what that formal dress represents to that girl! c'mon...she's a kid FGS! did she have to earn it? amazing, the losers on here who'd rather carp about a little girl in the collumn! obviously, it took her some courage to be quoted in the collumn.

Girl: I hope you have a really good time in that formal dress, enjoy your teen years, and don't grow up too darned fast. let the adults and your parents deal with the adult stuff. just ignore some of the poorly behaved people on this comment thread, it may be that they wanted a formal suit or formal dress and didn't get one so they want to spoil your fun to get even.
hope you're really a pretty girl in it!

p_riapism 7 years, 4 months ago

Dear Bitter about your life,

Didn't ever need a dress did you?

I assume you're bitter because your life still sucks.

Learn to avoid these people kiddies, they're the real whiners. They'll never advance. Anonymous criticism makes them feel better.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 4 months ago

If the kiddies can't take a little criticism, they have a real treat in store for them when they get to be adults.

Whiners.

p_riapism 7 years, 4 months ago

I assume CrzyKS is the same person as cindicat...picking on kiddies. I assume YOU'RE the teenagers

Linda Endicott 7 years, 4 months ago

Trollkiller, nudist...you two sure know how to kill a mood. You both must be teenagers yourselves, to worry so much about a teenage girl, a winter formal dress, and a mother who knows her daughter is putting too much emphasis on possessions instead of people, but that she will learn and grow out of that, as most of us have...except apparently you two. Lighten up. You both must be miserable to live with.

I am thankful for all the people who have ever been in my life, the ones who still are, and the aunt who recently died; she was such a sweet soul and I will miss her dearly, but I am so thankful that she was with us for as long as she was.

I'm thankful for sunrises and sunsets, that my car works and gets me where I need to go. I'm thankful that I have a job, when so many others don't. I'm thankful that I have a place to live, when so many others don't.

I'm thankful for rain, and sunshine, and snow in the winter, and that I have my sight and hearing so I can enjoy so many beautiful things.

I'm thankful for my kitty, who makes me laugh and keeps me company, and sometimes ignores me completely, but I love him anyway!

I'm thankful for so many things that it would be impossible to list them all in this short space.

nudist 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, some people value dresses more than others. It's a shame that some feel the need to pick on children about it though. Maybe she isn't an adult. Maybe she is 14/15 herself; at least that would explain the immaturity.

I too am thankful that I'm not around a person with that mentality.

bradpitt 7 years, 5 months ago

thankful for the winter formal dress.... maybe she still praying for a date !!!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 5 months ago

Thankful...every day. each day I live breathe, walk, and my heart functions, it is another gift from God. it is impossible for me to take each day for granted now.

I'm thankful for some friends on OTS, and for OTS itself and the other comment boards LJW runs. thanks.

thanks to each member of the uniformed services who might read this. you're doing what I cannot, and I know your service is important. thank you.

I'm thankful to have a loving wife, a young lady who is like a daughter, many other friends, and a noble dog. God created dogs with a special desire to serve us and to love us; for this, my life is better.

I give thanks every day.

CindiCat 7 years, 5 months ago

trollkiller.........

My self esteem is just fine thank you. Your's doesn't sound too good though.

I am also glad that we are not related.

coastiej 7 years, 5 months ago

Thankful for my friends, family, and fellow servicemembers in the U.S. military.

trollkiller 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm thankful that we live in a country where adults are free to criticize teenagers that are thankful for things that may have been a financial hardship for their family. Yes, we allow anyone to make thoughtless tactless comments in America. A place where adults with low self esteem can make kids feel bad about their lives.

I'm also thankful I not related to anyone like that.

jimincountry 7 years, 5 months ago

AND for the men and women who choose to work in the services that contribute to the general welfare of the people in this country and our allies!

jimincountry 7 years, 5 months ago

For family, friends and living in the USA!

CindiCat 7 years, 5 months ago

trollkiller: Yes it does..........I happen to LOVE my "true colors".

Those who know me, know that there is NO way that I would let a "shallow" comment go by. Gotta step up and "call them the way I see them"

trollkiller 7 years, 5 months ago

the need to get in your one dig shows your true colors

CindiCat 7 years, 5 months ago

I am thankful for my husband of 31 years, my 4 children (3 daughter's and 1 son) and 2 granddaughter's. I am thankful that my "middle" daughter surprised me late last nite and came home for Thanksgiving.

I am thankful that my husband has recovered from his "work accident" in June.

I am thankful that my youngest daughter is on the road to recovery from her KU Rugby accident (fractured ankle) that she had in October.

Here's hoping everyone is having a wonderful day with family and friends.......God Bless you always in all ways.

(yes, even to the "little girl" who is thankful for her winter formal dress) Sorry, had to get in ONE dig!! ;)

milkman_dan 7 years, 5 months ago

Tequila...

OK, I admit it there ia much more to be thankful for, there's also: rum scotch vodka and beer

cheers

Dixie Jones 7 years, 5 months ago

Im Thankful that i am able to get up each and everyday and go to a job that i love, im thankful for my husband my kids and my friends for if it were not for any of them my life would not be complete.im also thankful that i beat MARION here today ....hehehehehe slow today are we marion????anyway i wish each and everyone a wonderful thanksgiving. god bless and keep you safe and sound!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm thankful that I did not read my name in the obituaries.

They say you can tell how long a person will live by what section they read first. I read the obit's second, the OTS first, news third.

OTS is kinda like a comics section right? They say those who read the obituaries first are obsessed with their own mortality, thus hastening it.

I can not begin to list what I am truly thankful for... free choice, sunny mornings, rainy days, Happy thoughts, smiles, sad thoughts, frowns, anger, joy, bouncing off the wall kids, fighting kids, grumpy spousal unit, wonderful spousal unit, too many bills, crumpled dollars found in the dryer, good game of racquetball, sore muscles, wonderful friends, too many things to get done, not enough to do, having to wait at the gas pumps, hitting yourself on the thumb with a hammer.

The list could go on for â .

I guess I am saying I am thankful for everything, the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful...

inmate 7 years, 5 months ago

Everything good, a sense of humor and... eyelids. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm thankful that righthinker is just as stupid as he always is. I'm thankful for his Kansas consistency.

I'm not thankful for a 70 degree Thanksgiving.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I'm thankful for you, Holly Biggerstaff. You came into my life almost two decades ago, and I had no idea who you were when I invited you to Thanksgiving dinner. (I still consider it one of the best things I ever did.) I knew you but two short months. Those two months were your last on this earth, but you made a huge impact on me and I think of you every year on this day. Say "hi" to my dad for me, you sweet man. ;)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm thankful that I cooked the bird yesterday.
I'm thankful that God has blessed my life in too many ways to mention. (But, I'll try...) I'm thankful I still have my mother. I'm thankful that I still have my hubby and that after 18 years he still has one of the finest backsides I've ever seen. I'm so thankful for my children and their good health and their love. I'm immensely thankful for my friends that keep me sane and leave me laughing. I'm thankful that God plunked me into the family that he did. I'm thankful that my siblings are all awesome (character flaws and all). I'm thankful that the hubby's favorite phrase is: "Whatever makes you happy, hun!"

And, if I'm truly honest, I have to be thankful for all the crap that happens that makes me truly appreciate all of the good things. And I'm thankful for YDP.

I'm thankful that my mother taught me to always accept something with the graciousness and sincerity that it was given, so on that note: Happy Thanksgiving ya'll! God bless!

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 5 months ago

Far-left, secular-progressive liberals.

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

Hang in there, jonas, it will be worth it!

I'm thankful for my Lord, family, friends, country, job, home, and a partidge in a pear tree.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

solsken66 7 years, 5 months ago

Thankful for a winter formal dress....must of been many obstacles in the way to the cash register.

Sagecasey 7 years, 5 months ago

No, I don't know you. I don't post often, I think it is just happenstance. They are not meant to be "at you"

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Sagecasey: Do I know you? I just looked at your comments profile and all 3 of them are you talking specifically to me.

Sagecasey 7 years, 5 months ago

If I may rephrase jonas's comment, he is thankful for the opportunity to receive a college education that so many others are not lucky enough to receive

sublime 7 years, 5 months ago

Im thankful to be alive. Thankful for my wife and children.Im also thankful to have a job that I enjoy.Life is good.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Thankful for a few days off the grind of grad school, even if I do have a test on monday, a phone interview for an ethics assignment monday afternoon, a paper due on Tuesday, and copy for an ad to write by Wednesday at the latest.

/sigh

goatdog 7 years, 5 months ago

YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR WAR! YOUR GREEDY CHRISTIAN WAR! YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR WAR! YOUR FILTHY CHRISTIAN WAR!

goatdog 7 years, 5 months ago

YOU'RE GOING LOSE YOUR WAR! YOUR GREEDY CHRISTIAN WAR! YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR WAR! YOUR FILTHY CHRISTIAN WAR!

delegatezero 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm thankful for my son, my job, and the things I've been able to achieve in my life!