Previous   Next

What do you think of parents as coaches?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 19, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think sometimes the parents are a little too demanding of their children. Sports are supposed to be fun. As long as there’s not too much pressure, it’s fine.”

“I think it’s fine. As long as they’re treating their son or daughter the same as the other kids without any favoritism.”

“I don’t see a problem with it. When your parent is the coach, they are harder on you than the rest of the team.”

“It’s a bad idea. They play favorites and get way too into it.”

Comments

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

hahahaha Emily! Good one!

"I think they wouldn't be very comfortable, they'd have to sit very still, and they just aren't a good replacement for real furniture."

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

I think it would be better if they tasted more like tacos.

/?

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

It all depends on the parent. Some are very fair, not prone to favoritism and are very good coaches, but there are some that are the opposite. Thing is, the same can be said for coaches who are not parents of any of the team members.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Isn't it a little early to be thinking about tacos, jonas?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

OK, I'm going to inturrupt the "man board" and agree with Ohio's 6 am post. It all depends on the parent...coach...whatever. I'll admit that I coach my "sporty" daughter at home. I'm not pushy as that would be the surest way to get her to quit her sport. I merely encourage and offer advice. I also sometimes, to my body's detriment, challange her to get her to do more. I would NEVER coach her in front of her coaches, however.

Sgt, condolences on MI's loss to OH last night. We had a weenie-roast and had the games flipping back and forth on the radio as we had a MI fan here.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Ditto condolences Sgt.

Way to to Kansas!

I love that parents will help with the coaching. It is difficult though when they play favorites with their child. But they are volunteering and other kids wouldn't be able to be on a team without them. Rock / hard place.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 1 month ago

It depends on the attitude of the program most of all. I coached my daughter in YMCA league tball. It was casual and fun, until some of the other coaches' teams started actually trying to be uber competitive. As soon as the Y saw that, it re-emphasized that it was a FUN activity- TBALL for god's sake.

The uber competitive tball teams then relaxed. :)

I think as long as everyone realizes these activities are games it goes well.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 1 month ago

That's why you need someone to dress up like a ninja and come out of the bushes to apply a drop kick into the noggin of a jackass who is being a bad coach.......the threat of brutal and swift ninja justice should keep them in line.....this also applies to the a$$hole parent in the stands screaming at his son to kill the opposing teams players.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 1 month ago

Without the volunteer parents the kids probably wouldn't have teams to play on. My nephew plays basketball on one of the Parks & Recs teams and I generally haven't seen the parents playing favorites..although last week the team played one that was overly aggressive and the coach was overheard telling the team to "go after them, the ref isn't calling them". Not a good sign, but he was the exception. I see alot of involvement with the kids (afterall, they are usually classmates).

Dixie Jones 8 years, 1 month ago

depends on if the parent can step back of being a parent for the time being and become coach..hard to do for some people but i have seen it done quiet well by some . Have a fAnTaBoUlOuS dAy ya all....

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Paarents as coaches? no way Jose. My son in law coached his son and the poor kid would come home each night after a game in tears. A parent coach is always harder on his own kid. although I must say it did not do too much harm to Robert as he is the top scorer on the Portland Winterhawks this year. So, what can I say. greetings to you all from sunny San Diego. I_P - your are priceless!

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

Parents are almost the only coaches.

There are good and bad coaches. I agree with offtotheright if you have complaints.

What I have learned is nothing builds character like a bad coach.

JayCat_67 8 years, 1 month ago

It's a balancing act. When they're young, you sometimes have to be able to switch hats very quickly. I had the pleasure/frustration of coaching a U7 soccer team with my son on it. He said something highly uncalled for to a player on the other team. I told him to leave the field and he had a little tantrum. At that point, I had to become dad, walk over and cart his little butt off the field. (Obviously would not have done that to any other kid on the team.) He sat the rest of the half with his grandparents, and I went back out an coached. Never had that problem with him again. Overall, the kids were much easier to deal with than the parents though, but that's a whole new thread.

coolmom 6 years, 12 months ago

without parent coaches the number of activities available for kids across our country would diminish dramatically. so parent coaches=awesome volunteers of time and skills.

Left_handed 6 years, 12 months ago

There is too much emphasis on sports today. Parents would be better off teaching their children to read, write and cipher, assuming, that is, that they know how to do these things themselves.