Previous   Next

Would you volunteer to be an election worker?

Asked at Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 14, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes, because I believe it’s a duty for a responsible citizen. It’s not that much time out of my life to do that for a day. It’s a good cause.”

“Probably not. That doesn’t sound very interesting to me.”

“I’m glad there are people who do it, but I wouldn’t say that I would want to.”

“Yeah. I was actually thinking about it while I was signing in to vote. It seems like it would be a fun way to meet people.”

Comments

ruette 8 years, 1 month ago

If they got paid, they wouldn't be volunteers, out the wazoo or anywhere else...

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Then we'd not call them volunteers, would we? We could call them Election Workers.

They do already get paid, by the way. It says in the article they receive $85.

so THERE!

lunacydetector 8 years, 1 month ago

doesn't the left wing 'league of women voters' volunteer at the polls anymore?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow. Mine sounded nasty! I apologize. Obviously I didn't read the article because it says there are places that gave workers a paid day to volunteer.

Sorry!

Sgt, you could cheer up a Bob Dole bedroom, I would guess! ;)

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes. I have helped before in my hometown. I bet if we got paid (from work) to do it, there would be volunteers out the wazoo.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I'd consider it, just to bring some sort of cheerfulness to the process. My goodness, several of the election workers at my polling place last week were as dour as could be.

Dixie Jones 8 years, 1 month ago

yes i would do it , my mother was always on the election team when i was a child, i think it is important to be involved in every possible way. good day all !

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

When I first read the ?, I thought it said electrician and my first response was "He!! no! Not even if you paid me!!!"

Yes, I would volunteer to be an election worker. I think a few women in my district have that job locked up until they die, though. They are always the same ladies. Maybe they will bequeath the job to one of their daughters. I don't see myself ever getting in. Maybe I should befriend one now.

Gootsie, you crack me up.
p.s. I like "snotty Gootsie."

Happy "Operation Room Nurse Day" ya'll!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

The hubby just said he'd rather be a volunteer electrician.

geppetto 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't know. I am afraid that I would be working with people as smart as some ELNA board members.

Geppetto

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, that's the last time you call me a "food snob," sucker! :P

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, are you just trying to promote your "save the daylight fund," or are you going against your "vow to stop light pollution?" Could you clear this highly important matter up?

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 1 month ago

"Maybe, if they had an open bucket-o-margarita bar, buffet, and a live band. The buffet would have to have something else than mini-quiche and taco flavored pizza rolls."

So you want elections at Ameristar Casino? Oh, you DON'T want mini-quiche and taco flavored pizza rolls. My mistake. You want elections in Ciudad Juarez. Live Mariachi. Taco flavored tacos.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Probably not. I think it's just as important to be aware of what you cannot do well as to know what you can do well.

I would need to hit the Marguerita bar pretty hard before going to my appointed table. My political skepticism is too deeply ingrained for me to cheerfully greet voters, many of whom do not know or care to know the issues as they determine the direction of our nation, just casting their vote for either the party line or for the candidate that seemed nicest on the TV ads. mutter fume hiss upsets me just thinking about it. In 94 it was a Republican sweep, 2006 Democrat, . . . and the beat goes on.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

militant: as long as it's not posted otherwise :)

conservative 8 years, 1 month ago

Now let's not knock the volunteers. The lady's who always seem to be at my polling place are always smiling and nice. I'll grant they aren't going to win an award for speed, but they are always friendly and I look forward to seeing them.

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

Prospector thanks.

I wonder if the second shot hit him in the calf, because his left testicle was no longer there to get in the way?

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

I just noticed from above:

"Probably not. That doesn't sound very interesting to me." - Joseph Payne, night stocker, Lawrence

I thought Richard Ramirez was the night stocker? Scary.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

hitme, did we party a little too much?

Sooz, your hubby killed Flower?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Totally off subject, but I just found out that the burning of pinon incense is very effective in removing (or at least masking) skunk smell from inside a house. (Just thought I'd pass on that little tidbit of info.)

Katara 8 years, 1 month ago

Posted by Bone777 (anonymous) on November 14, 2006 at 7:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I just noticed from above:

I thought Richard Ramirez was the night stocker? Scary. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LOL. I was working on some accounts a couple of years ago and someone had listed the employment of a customer as a Wal-mart night stalker

A co-worker and I wondered about the pay & whether you would get benefits with that position. Sounds pretty easy.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

IP, nothing "little" about this behemoth! That sucker was huge! Unfortunately, it was way to close to the house when the hubby decided to "dispose" of it...actually, it was on the porch. Then, for some odd reason, he felt compelled to hold it up to the window for our viewing pleasure. TOB, never a dull moment around here!