Previous   Next

How do you commemorate Veterans Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 11, 2006

Browse the archives

“We take flowers to my grandmother’s grave in western Kansas, because her children, our uncles and aunts, all served in the military.”

“I call my father, who was in Vietnam. He’s the only vet in my family.”

“We put our flag out, but we don’t visit any graves. All the vets in our family are still alive.”

“We fly the flag at home and at the office.”

Comments

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 8 months ago

You mean people do more than just go shopping at those HUGE SALES EVENTS???????

Phew.

redbird 8 years, 8 months ago

I fly our flag and when possible visit my family veterans....but the start of Veteran's Day I always will start with a prayer for our troops and for those who died serving their country,this is a tradition that my Dad passed down to his children.My family is full of Veterans recorded for centuries and my family as a whole gives a prayer for those missing in action,especially for the one that is our family.May he be safe or at least lie in peace!! I know not all will agree with war and serving their country but remember if not for our commitment to democracy,through battles on our and foreign soils...we would not have this right of freedom.Freedom of expression, freedom of speech.....Of course by human nature we would but we would be imprisoned or even worse put to death,if it wasn't for those who are and have fought for our freedom. Look into the eyes of a loyal true veteran,listen to his words and stories therein will be the story of our freedom.....Thank you and God bless will always be there from me for their service to our country!!!!

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

Redbird - yes, very well said and I am sure felt by many. Here is my country we call this day Remembrance Day. It is a day to remember those who gave their lives for the freedom of us all and especially those in countries whose citizens did not experience freedom as we do. We wear poppies and there are parades of soldiers, veterans and others. These parades will culminate at the cenotaphs in their area where a prayer service and vigil will be held. I just read yesterday that there are about 6000 cenotaphs in Canada. I think that you in the US may call these War Memorials. In my family there are no soldiers to remember as having given their lives for freedom, but that does not stop me from being grateful and remembering others. May God bless you all this day.

libraffe 8 years, 8 months ago

Interesting that on election day the question was, did you vote? And the pictured respondents said, no, didn't have time.... But all of these respondents have clear plans for how-to celebrate Veteran's Day. Not sure what my point is, but it seems odd.

jamesfstover 8 years, 8 months ago

Can our honoring of veterans include resolve to prevent misuse of our military in ways that betray those veterans' service and sacrifice?

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

So, am I getting the picture right here. You have two days to commemorate the military? Veteran's Day and Memorial Day. When is Memorial Day? We just have this one day, Remembrance Day. I just watched the very moving ceremony from our National Cenotaph (monument) in our capital of Ottawa. It was quite beautiful with many prayers by different churches and one synogogue rabbi also. Many people laid wreaths on the cenotaph including other countries. I noticed one from the Republic of Korea.
There was a fly past and a 21 gun salute. Many nice songs played, a large children's choir and bagpipes. I love to hear the bagpipes. All government officials were there to lay wreaths. I thought it was beautiful and quite appropriate that we do this. Perhaps you have something like this on Memorial Day.

pmc3697 8 years, 8 months ago

November_sky, Kristin doesn't say anything about her Mom, and there is nothing wrong with honoring those who raised people who were willing to serve and die for our freedoms.

No need to be snarky to someone who shows respect to veterans and those who raised them.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

War became "real" to me when I first walked down the hall of my highschool and saw the plaques with all the names of the students who died serving our country. They were babies...just like I was at the time. It was the first time I had ever really put any thought to something that would surely never happen in my lifetime. I was just so convinced that the people of "today" knew better than those of "yesterday." Yes, at fourteen, I was convinced!

My mother remembers when, in her very small town that she grew up in, they would all experience the gut wrenching feeling of seeing the two men in the military dress uniforms come into town. They all knew that there was only one reason they would come...to bring the news of the dead. Mom had 2 brothers in WW2. Thankfully, they both came back alive, if not damaged.

The hubby saw a vet (he was in fatigues) in the gas station this morning as he was buying some pre-dawn coffee. He went over and thanked the man and shook his hand. Then he offered to buy the vets coffee but the gas station attendant said it was on the house. Sometimes, that's enough. Shake a hand and say "Thank you."