Previous   Next

What do you think of Donald Rumsfeld stepping down?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“I’m not surprised. It was inevitable. I just think it happened now because the Republicans took a well-deserved beating.”

“I think a clean slate is a good slate as far as a plan of action for the war is concerned.”

“I think it’s about time. Clearly his policies haven’t worked. The situation in Iraq is a disaster, and there is no way the president could function in the last two years of his term with Rumsfeld as secretary of defense.”

“He certainly hasn’t been a popular secretary of defense, but I really don’t know if it will be a good thing or a bad thing. There is always somebody worse.”

Comments

oldgranny 7 years, 9 months ago

I think its a good thing. Just too bad it took so long. And how about Condi? She hasn't been the best either.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

I think he should marry Britney.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

I think it's obvious nearly everyone in politics has a limited lifespan.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 9 months ago

Sounded as if he sure took much of the blame in his resignation speech last night.

Not so sure all the blame was his alone. He is a civilian administrator over the department. Why didn't the generals get any blame or criticism?

By stepping down, does this make him more apt to devulge sensitive information that may reveal damaging information to the President and his administration? Just curious.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

I think it's good he's gone, but it would have been better had he resigned back when he started showing signs of under-performance, not as a conciliatory gesture after blowing an election.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

RI: "Plan B" -- very funny!

OTTS: And you call the Democrats whiners? The only thing your last post was missing was a puddle of crocodile tears at the bottom of it. You are bad-mouthing those who aren't even in office yet. Why not give them the courtesy they deserve and see if they can be effective before you trash them? Come on, it is time to admit that things have gone poorly in several areas and embrace and support the new government. It is the American thing to do!

Rumsfeld needed to do this a long time ago. How could anyone support a secretary of defense who is bogged down in the middle of a civil war three years after the leader in chief declared mission accomplished?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

TOB, he still has that relationship with me. It seems to work, though. Also, Rummy still plans to speak today...or, at least he was still planning on it yesterday, but we all know the difference a day can make.

Rummy stepping down is a good thing. Now, if a few others will follow suit, maybe the janitors can come in and try to sweep up this mess.

Gootsie- "I think he should marry Britney." Never saw that one coming! Too funny!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 9 months ago

OTSS, that was the most ignorant post I have read in months. You are truly uninformed! "Best man for the job?" Are you kidding me? That like saying that Phred would be the best man to organize next Spring's Gay Pride parade!!

Oh, and, c'mon, Kuku, blame the generals? The generals directly stated what they needed and niether Bush or Rummy felt that it was important to give that to them. Iraq is a mess and there is nobody to blame but Bush and Rummy. Bush saying that he listens to his generals on the ground was a totally spurious statement!!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Bea: "Come on, it is time to admit that things have gone poorly in several areas and embrace and support the new government. It is the American thing to do!"

Do you really expect something like that? I think you know politics better than to expect that from either side.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones; So let it be with" Rumsfeld.

I think his resignation was best for the nation, and hopefully for the war on terror.

i_p, yes, there will surely be investigation after investigation come 2007. The Reps did the same thing when they took control. I think it is similar to the instinct of dogs and wolves to remark their territory after an interloper has been there, or maybe I just watch too much Animal Planet :)

Richard Heckler 7 years, 9 months ago

James Baker III must have dropped by and TOLD GW that the 2008 white house is at stake. The he TOLD GW to bring on Gates.

Insiders trading

A significant portion of the millions of dollars U.S. companies and their politically influential executives have earned in deals with the Saudis has been through military contracts.

The Carlyle Group had a major stake in the large defense contractor B.D.M., which has multimillion-dollar contracts through its subsidiaries to train and manage the Saudi National Guard and the Saudi air force, U.S. Department of Defense records show. In 1998, Carlyle sold its controlling interest in B.D.M. to defense giant TRW International.

Meanwhile, the boards of directors of the Carlyle Group, B.D.M. and TRW are all stocked with high-level Republican policy makers.

Frank C. Carlucci, a former secretary of defense under President Reagan, was chairman of B.D.M. for most of the 1990s. Carlucci, who also served as Reagan's national security adviser and a deputy director of the CIA, now heads the Carlyle Group.

Along with former President Bush, other officials from past Republican administrations now at the Carlyle Group include: former Secretary of State James A. Baker III; ex-budget chief Richard Darman; and former Securities and Exchange Commission chairman Arthur Levitt.

President Bush is himself linked to the Carlyle group: He was a director of one of its subsidiaries, an airline food services company called Caterair, until 1994. Six years later, when Bush was governor of Texas, the board of directors of the Texas teachers' pension fund - some of whom were his appointees - voted to invest $100 million with the Carlyle Group.

The president of B.D.M. is Philip A. Odeen, a former high-level Pentagon official in the Nixon administration. During the Clinton administration, Odeen chaired the Pentagon task force that planned the restructuring of the U.S. military for the 21st century. Currently, he is the vice-chair of the Defense Science Board, which advises the Pentagon on emerging threats.

TRW, the new owner of B.D.M., has its own noteworthy board members, including former CIA director Robert M. Gates and Michael H. Armacost, who served as undersecretary of state under President Reagan and as ambassador to Japan for former President Bush.

Big Saudi money also makes its way back to Texas and the Bush family. The family of Saudi Arabia's longtime U.S. ambassador, Prince Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdul Aziz, gave $1 million to the Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas.

The revolving door: http://www.hereinreality.com/carlyle.htm... http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/...

Richard Heckler 7 years, 9 months ago

The medicine, Gates, may be worse than the disease.

[b]Gates was the head of the CIA during the Iran-Contra scandal, which is interesting, in light of Daniel Ortega's recent re-election to president in Nicaragua.

Gates was also known for his staunch suport of Reagan's anti-communist policies and for helping funnel extra funding thru secret channels to shore up military and other 'security' elements within the government. [/b]

Buyer beware.

Kontum1972 7 years, 9 months ago

john taber..said...

and there is no way the president could function in the last two years of his term with Rumsfeld as secretary of defense."

when has Bush functioned properly?

when a president uses the wordage...I'M THE DECIDER... and he manhandles the female President of Germany with his backrub in public there is only DISFUNCTION ....NOW EVERYONE IS DISTANCING THEMSELVES FROM THIS CLOWN......even his own party. There are quite a few unemployed people in DC at this very moment..LoL.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone else think of KuKlux_Kansan every time they see Kuku_Kansan? Sorry, its just lazy reading on my part. I also realized my brain was being lazy when I kept thinking of Darryl Gates when Bush announced his new SOD candidate. Remember that band SOD? The kids that liked DRI seemed to like them. Sorry, getting used to new schedule. Little too loopy.

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

roger, I keep thinking the same thing, but I know nobody would do that, or let me rephrase I would hope nobody would do that for a screen name.

Kontum1972 7 years, 9 months ago

KuKu...just exactly how many General Officers have you had a chat with concerning all of this...past and present?

How many do you know personally?

Rummy and BUsht never made through Command & General Staff College,,the Senior Bush was a decorated fighter Aviator during WW2...they could not find our busht jr during vietnam....he was at the bottom of a beer barrel hiding.....busht & rummy.. dont know squat about being a General Officer.

libraffe 7 years, 9 months ago

Change is good. The unknown is scary. Rummy was an arrogant bull.

EirishHawk 7 years, 9 months ago

What a surprise, merrill still isn't happy.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

E gads! Is that what TOB was insinuating? I just took it that I seem to take the blame for RI's OTS blunders. Bad, TOB, bad! Go enjoy your well-buttered, toasted biscuit and leave me alone. Goodness sakes!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Bonus points to sue for saying egads.

armyguy 7 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe Rummy would cut and run when he can't play war with the Congress he wants, but the Congress he gets. Good riddance to the arrogant SOB.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

sgt: You are correct. I was using similar language that has been used by the Reps and neo-cons for the past six years -- either you support the government and its actions or you are an anti-American who supports terrorism. Remember Ann Coulter's book "Treason"? Of all who have made such claims, I wonder how many will now follow their own advice and go along with everything the new government wants to do?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't think Rummy had a lot to do with the decision, armyguy. I think he fully intended to finish out Bush's term. And last week, that's exactly what Bush told us, too, that Rummy would be there till Bush left, although he knew at the time that he'd already talked to his replacement. Talk about lying to the American people.

I think it was a result of the elections on Tues. If the Republicans had won, Rumsfeld would still be there.

I was highly offended by something Bush said in his announcement, though. He compared the volunteer army in Iraq to the "volunteer" army during Vietnam...

Is the man a total loon? What volunteer army in Vietnam?? Although I'm sure there were many young men back then who did enlist, the grand majority of the ones sent to Vietnam were DRAFTED, not "volunteer" army!

Sheesh!

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

crazyks, I watched part of the announcement as well and he was comparing the wars since everybody keeps saying Iraq is like Vietnam. He was saying the Iraq war has a complete volunteer army but Vietnam didn't. He also said that during Vietnam, there wasn't as much troop support as there is now for the troops in Iraq. Don't get too excited. You probably mis-heard him.

Dale Stringer 7 years, 9 months ago

Brilliant move by the President. You either make the Demo house agree with the first order of business you give them... or... you make them decide to keep someone they despise even longer if they go against you.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 9 months ago

Dude, the Dems don't get the house until January. Rummy left yesterday. You think they are going to wait until January to get Gates in there? Your logic isn't working.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

75x: I'm being sarcastic, not literal.

werekoala 7 years, 9 months ago

You know, on an entertainment level, I sincerely enjoyed Rumsfeld's press conferences.

But on a level of competency, the man's management of the DoD was so bad, you have tons of ex-military guys like my father saying he's hurting our armed forces. And as the wheels continue to come off you have retired generals, some active duty officers, and even the Army Times coming out and saying "this guy has to go!"

It's not a matter of partisanship, he should have been dismissed when Bremer got the boot - the two of them are in my opinion very responsible for permitting the conditions that led to the insurgency to exist.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 9 months ago

I wrote that post much too early in the morning to make perfect sense.

I was just curious if, now that he has stepped down, he can be called before a hearing and share more information to a congressional hearing/press corps than if he were still a cabinet member? If he can, would he?

I'm still not sure what Kontum1972 was implying in his response to me.

DRI--Never thought of the KuKlux_Kansan look-alike. Gave me a whole new perspective on the name! I promise, no white supremacy sentiment here.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Sweeper: "The lack of bi-partisianship is what has weakened us and that is completely from the democratic side of the aisle."

If we're going to be honest, neither side exhibits bi-partisanship.

BrianR 7 years, 9 months ago

Gootsie, I think he should marry Britney too. I'm sure she'll get to keep the trailer and there'll be plenty of room after Fed-Ex is gone.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Py, ha! I've got a few people to whom I need to send that link. (although it's too true to really be THAT funny.)

Dale Stringer 7 years, 9 months ago

Azure - Congress is out of session until January.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

Like I said yesterday when TOB slipped us the news. WOO HOO!!! Yipee!!!

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

OTTS: "Can you share with me the solution offered by those you support?"

For one, the Ds understand that what has been done already by those you support isn't working. It is one thing to make a mistake (war in Iraq), but another to insist that it isn't a mistake and that we all need to keep supporting doing the same exact thing. The years of lies coming out of Washington is getting our American soldiers killed, and it is time this stops. Sadly, we can't just run out of Iraq right now (thanks President Bush for that!), but we must develop an honest exit strategy. Those you support got us into this mess without an exit strategy -- why should they be allowed to stay?

"Staying the course" - the plan your party supports - isn't going to work, so it is time to get fresh ideas by non-oil company minds.

Further, those I support also believe in fiscal responsibility. Tax cuts for the wealthiest of the wealthy (Paris Hilton Relief Act, or what your people call the Death Tax) during a time of war isn't fiscally responsible, so it needs to change. How you, or those you support, can't see this is beyond me.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

i_p, I try to save my impassioned dung-flinging for really important topics. Like football.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 9 months ago

I know this. Your post indicates that the House will have a choice. They won't. It's a done deal.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

i_p: sgtw is telling the truth. He has flung plenty of dung at my beloved, though stumbling, Steelers (reigning, though not repeating, Champions).

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

Knowing Bush's use (or misuse) of the English language, Craigers, it's hard to tell now, unless I can find an online source that has text of everything he said.

I'm pretty sure I heard him use the term "volunteer army" in reference to Vietnam, though. However, this could just have been one of his usual tongue-tripping mistakes.

Terry Jacobsen 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm pretty sure I heard him use the term "volunteer army" in reference to Vietnam, though. - Crazyks

I'll be sure and mark this down as a direct quote for future reference. "I'm pretty sure" that I could make up a line of stuff to support my view too.