Previous   Next

Have you received any phone calls urging you to vote for a political candidate?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 5, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I received three calls from MoveOn. They’re kind of annoying, but at the same time, I guess I signed up with them.”

“I have not, but I don’t have a home phone. I’m sure that helps to some extent.”

“I got four in the same class. I just ended up turning my phone off and deleting the messages later.”

“No. I just have a cell phone, and I’m careful about who I give the number out to.”

Comments

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

RI, huh?

I average about 3 phonecalls/messages a day. It's irritating as he!! and sucking up space on my answering machine. When they call, I just hang up. I don't care if it's someone I'm voting for or not.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

I_P, how do they get past the no call list?

pelliott 8 years, 6 months ago

Recorded political messages, damn robots calling me on my cell or home phone drive me to places I don't want to go. I might still vote for the candidate of my choice but if I can I call them at home and tell them what I think of home intrusions. A person knocking at my door, a live person calling is a respectful appeal. The robot is not. Aurggheghe

badger 8 years, 6 months ago

Laura Bush called me the other day to ask me to vote for candidates with 'Strong Republican Values'. I wanted to say, "I'd love to, Mrs. Bush, but all the Republicans seem to put up these days is a bunch of Jesus-freak reactionary wingnuts who can't even spell 'fiscal responsibility' or 'small government', much less advocate or implement them."

Then, I realized that not only was it a recording, but that the woman is deluded enough to think that her husband is a 'strong Republican candidate' and so I just deleted the message and shook my head sadly.

beatrice 8 years, 6 months ago

peace: "If you do not care about our government then don't answer your phone.

If you do care, listen to the candidates and the issues at hand and make your own educated decisions on who you want in YOUR government."

If you make your decisions for OUR government based on recorded phone solicitations, than you are an example of what is wrong with the government today. Making a decision for who should hold a public office should take more than believing what people say about themselves in a commercial. To go so far as to claim that someone doesn't care for their country because they won't listen to a political commercial over the phone might be the purest example of ignorance I've ever read on this board.

Redneckgal 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes I have. Snoop Dog Kline's buddies called and went on and on with some BS about baby killers and a bunch of other non-sense. Just re-affirmed my vote for Morrison. But I will have to say if my 6 year old would have answered the phone and got that message I'd have been plenty p!ssed.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 6 months ago

I have received 3 messages now on my cell phone.

I don't like that.

Bill collectors don't even have my cell phone number, but somehow Judy Morrison does. (Mind you, I am not even registered in her district any more)

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 6 months ago

Shouldn't it be illegal for anyone to make unsolicited calls to a cell phone? Unless they want to reverse the charges. I'd send a goddam bill to anyone who called my cellphone with this crap.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 6 months ago

"Under U.S. law, a presidential campaign cannot legally accept foreign donations."

But BushCo certainly doesn't hesitate to meddle in the elections of other countries, going so far as to invade some and install puppet governments.

beatrice 8 years, 6 months ago

Nope, not a one (knock on wood). It wouldn't matter -- I still plan on voting for Dems, since deep down I guess I really want the terrorists to win.

roger: I'm with you. I just want to smack Alex for being such a punk -- turn the phone off when in class! I hope his instructors see this and use it to humiliate him in front of his peers.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

Oh, I guess today is "National Gunpowder Day." Wouldn't that be better on July 4th or something? Why today? (I'm sure RI will tell us.)

peace 8 years, 6 months ago

Roger - wow you are bitter. Maybe you should have PAID for a spelling class. Sorry, that was mean.

The phone calls are annoying but this is America and with all the bad things going on here and in Iraq, we still have the Freedom of Speech.

If you do not care about our government then don't answer your phone.

beatrice 8 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and hey there badger. Long time, no see.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 6 months ago

Alex Backus, KU freshman, Lawrence--You are ALWAYS supposed to turn off your phone in class. How inconsiderate are you anyways. Even if you don't care, the rest of the people in class have payed lots of good money to be there. I doubt they want to even hear the thing vibrating in your bag. Even "silent" mode isn't silent. And what college freshman is so important as to think that they need to be reachable even in class? Lot of ego for someone with such big hair. If I were in your class, you would get a book 'upside' your head.

Whoo--what did I have for breakfast today? I don't even care about the question anymore because of ol'Backus' statement. Sounds like the same type to talk on the phone while checking out at the groceria or gas station. TIME AND PLACE, JERK! Unless you are a volunteer fireman or something like that, your life isn't that important. Time to think of others for a change. I know it will be tough seeing as how you are likely a child of a GenX dumbass, but remember the Earth revolves around the Sun, not you.

Dixie Jones 8 years, 6 months ago

i get so tired of the mud slinging even ryun's phone message is calling his opp a liar,,,that makes me not vote for them even if they do stand for what i stand for ( Or until they get in there) Actually i wouldn't be voting if it werent for mclouth's liquor store going to vote remember fellow mclouthians vote NO to keep liquor in mclouth on Tuesday ! ! ! have a super sunday all!

redneckwoman 8 years, 6 months ago

Let's just say that it was a good thing they called my cell on the weekend & didn't use up my minutes.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

There should be a law against those calls!! Poor widow woman comes home, beep, beep beep, signals that I have a telephone message, I rush breathlessly to the phone, who could it be, what adventures may lay ahead . . . . then I hear the voice . . . please stay on the line we have an important message for you . . . and it's someone trying to panhandle my vote!!!!!! Hopes and dreams shattered I delete the message. It's just not right to do that to people. :)

Also, some cretin stole my candidate's yard sign ten feet from my front door!!! My dog had surgery Friday, she needed a lot of attention Friday night and I forgot to bring the sign into my garage for the night, so it was stolen. You can't have much confidence in a candidate if you think you have to steal signs to lower the visability of her opponent!! Whoever you are, instead of thinking you are so cute, you should be ashamed.

Bottom line is, we get the government we deserve. We cast our votes and call ourselves a democracy then instead of accepting the vote and working to make this country a better place to live, most people just gripe from one election to the next if their candidate doesn't win.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

since TOB seems to be on vacation, I'll say it:

"Damn, Bea!"

Ceal, I'm so sorry about your shattered hopes and dreams with the political phone messages. Maybe if an actual person calls and you are home, you can talk to them and tell them how glad you are that they called because you've been just so lonely. :)

badger 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey, Bea.

Been busy like a crazy person lately. Joined a new gym, moving in with the SO, getting super-involved with the local pagan community after finally making some good contacts at a Samhain festival a couple weekends ago...the days are just packed. We're gearing up to start monthly pagan board game nights, roller skating or bowling events, and coffeechats. Should be super-spiff.

Most of my online communities, save LJ, have been noticing a decided lack of Badger. The LJ just keeps me cause that and Yahoo! groups are how I keep in touch with the local pagans.

But I do periodically pop in to check on my favorite batch of Interweb Kansananians.

Kornphlake 8 years, 6 months ago

I got a call asking me to press one if I wanted to put Phil Kline on a leash. A week later I got a call telling me that 87% of my neighbors want to put Phil Kline on a leash. Who knew?

ms_canada 8 years, 6 months ago

I think that Laura Bush would not dare make a live phone call, unless of course she is totally deluded about that eejit she is married to. I hate those recorded calls, but I usually listen to them. I mean, after all, I need the facts, don't I?

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

sue, if I'm ever home long enough to get a call I will try that :):)

RI, your lucky they didn't pay you a visit!

Just talked with the matriarch in the Lone Star state, and she had an exciting tidbit of news for me . . . seems she got a telephone call from Bill Clinton regarding the governor's race . . . Mother said although it was a recording she really enjoyed it because how often does someone even get a recording from a president . . . (can you feel my pain???)) So you see, there is a segment of the population that respond to the calls.

badger 8 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I was at CMA. It was a blast!