Previous   Next

Do you think President Bush’s appearances help Republican candidates?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 2, 2006

Browse the archives

“If I were them, I would distance myself from him as much as possible. His appearances only hurt their chances.”

“Absolutely not. I think he’s their Kryptonite. People can finally see that he wears no clothes. At best, he’s incompetent; at worst, he’s a criminal. I think people are ready for a change.”

“Not necessarily. I think there’s such bad press about Bush right now. I think people really question his leadership.”

“I think it helps them raise money, because his appearance fires up the base and they can charge more money to see him than just the candidate. Whether it will actually help them get elected or not is another story.”

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

I voted for Bush once, and I drink lattes. On election day I said "add a shot of amaretto". I think they must have added something halucinigenic, because I promptly went out and voted for Bush.

I voted against Kerry, actually... which, in retrospect, was probably a very sober-minded thing to do... now I'm all conflicted... I need another latte...

Ceallach 8 years, 9 months ago

It certainly says something about our country when Bush and Kerry, presidential candidates just two years ago, are considered detrimental to other candidates.

If President Bush were coming to Lawrence to stump for Ryun I would have a different opinion on his effectiveness. However, with the rally in Topeka, I believe he will help to get out the base for Ryun and other Republican candidates as well. Particularly those who may be discouraged enough to consider not voting at all.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

TOB, I'm never sure how happy college hoops season will be up here in Ann Arbor. I like Tommy Amaker, but he's only gotten us close to a NCAA tournament bid (which means invitations to the Not In Tournament Tournament). I'm hoping he finds more success this year.

Speaking of hoops, did you realize we were within a few days of having the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB playing all at the same time? That's a little scary.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

sgt, it's not snowing down here yet... unless you count the flurries we had about 2 weeks ago. So, I'm thinking something must have frozen over.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh, I get plenty of stress at work, Irish, believe me...so much, in fact, that when I'm home, it has to be mindless entertainment, or I don't want to do it...lol.

mr_daniels 8 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely! The Senator from Mass. is an absolute gift that keeps on giving.

GO GOP

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

When we were littlins', my momma hid carrots in the meatloaf...only way she could get us to eat them.

I'm definitely making meatloaf soon...and the requisite mashed taters-n-gravy. I think I'll hide some soybeans in mine.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

RI, sorry to hear of your personal problems. Maybe you should go see a dr about that. Speaking of dr's...I have to go pick up someone's child...my casa is getting merrier and merrier!

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

Jericho....I watched it too. They namechecked lawrence by saying "Wait, why did (the terrorists) nuke Lawrence but spare Topeka?"

I think we know why...The Terrorists hate freedom-loving, anti-Patriot Act liberals.

ms_canada 8 years, 9 months ago

ceallach - I am deeply touched, thanks for the sentiment.
Anyone besides Shelby watching Jericho on Wed. nights?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Happy "bi-national Ms_C's OTS anniversary day"...deviled eggs for everyone!

TOB, I was going to offer to warm your biscuit but you would just take it wrong...so I won't.

ms_canada 8 years, 9 months ago

pywacket - ROFLMDO - and those scones surely do taste heavenly. Thanks loads. I am partial to scones. RI - were those two weddings in the same year?

ms_canada 8 years, 9 months ago

blue harley - yeh, Wed. nite is a total loss for me too. I watch StargateSG1 at 6pm, then a 1/2 hour British serial at 7, then Jeopardy, then CSI N Y, then Jericho, then Criminal minds. Last nite while the commercials are on I ran into my computer room to take a glance at the Portland Winterhawks/Spokane Chiefs hockey game. No.3 grandson plays for the Hawks. Can't really give the game a total miss

Linda Aikins 8 years, 9 months ago

Seriously now, isn't that his serious wife? Ellen?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Bea, all of the above. (I particularly like the image of raining toads.) Sadly, I fear we may be close to that.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Meatloaf will be in the Tenacious D movie coming out Nov 22nd.
Azure, you can see him in his full acting/singing glory.
Anybody want the link to his part in it, just holler at me. But take heed, it has so many F bombs that if you're at work, you'll have to turn the speakers down really low. (And it takes about 5 minutes)

ohjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

"Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double beet loaf. I HATE meatloaf."

I don't really hate Meatloaf (the dish or the singer), I just love that line.

Teapot9 8 years, 9 months ago

You guys are gonna have a field day when you hear about Ann Coulter is accused of.

purplesage 8 years, 9 months ago

This question would go unasked except for the fact that President Bush has been unmercifully scandalized by the press. "The war" seems to be the easiest millstone to hang around his neck. When this nation was attacked, the President matured into leadership very quickly. While "the Army went rolling along" do you remember the surge of patriotism and how high popularity ratings were? In those days, an appearance by the President would have been a powerful campaign aid. Now, as the unfinished task has gotten messier and less exciting, "Bush bashing" is ubiquitious. How can we have forgotten so quickly?

I wonder what was so different in the 1940's? Our nation was attacked - and at a terrible cost, the war was decisively won. I don't agree with everything about the conduct of the war or about the loss of freedoms that terrorism have caused, and certainly wish there to be peace on earth. Until that time when the Kingdom of God prevails, there will be "wars and rumors of wars."

As our President, Mr. Bush deserves respect (clearly lacking in some of the posts) even from those who disagree. It is an office of high honor and these have been difficult years. Surely a Presidential appearance will help with those who agree and shore up support. And, as is obvious, it will further polarize those who don't at this deeply divisive time in America's history.

lunacydetector 8 years, 9 months ago

hmmm....a question posed for people on massachusetts street, no doubt. of course the majority down there are going to be anti-bush. it's what's to be expected with a loaded question in a bastion of kerry loving troop hating tax and spend loving hypocritical latte' drinkers.

have a great day everyone!

ohjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Wow, a wolverine and a buckeye thinking along the same lines, amazing. LOL (Don't worry sgt, I'm only a buckeye because this is where I was born, raised, and now live, not because I root for "THE" Ohio State University.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Meatloaf? Not worth mentioning? TOB, you are obviously still young enough that I could whip your behind for blasphemy.

Bone777 8 years, 9 months ago

Sue - I trust yours too.

If an appearance by Bush does make a difference, it is an even sadder state affairs.

"Hey Billie Bob! I didn't know that 'W' was supporting the Republicans this year. I know where my vote is goin. Woo Hoo!! "

Linda Aikins 8 years, 9 months ago

R_I you rock.

I'd suggest checking eBay for his latest appearances.

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

"Well, it is a free country ..." Easy for you to say, ms_c. You live in Canada.

I'm a liberal, but was never that fond of downtown Lawrence, except for Liberty (a liberal concept if I ever heard one) Hall and Free State (another liberal idea) Brewery.

Remember, they hate us for our Fritos.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 9 months ago

To answer the question, no, it just further energizes his base who are the only people energized about him and his party anymore.

Having only a general form of like and been burnt out on "Two Out of Three Aint Bad," and "Paradise by Dashboard Light" in high school, I am to the point where I like Meat Loaf better as an actor that I ever did as a singer. He was great in Fight Club, and Rocky Horror, of course.

Y'all have been putting lots of good tunes in my head today. Gratsi!! I've had "Time Warp" going, the song Loaf did (I can't remmber the name), and I just started on Rush: 2112. Can't wait to get to the acoustic part of "Temples of Syrinx" but I think it takes 18 minutes to get to it. Hey! Wait a minute! It's my head, I can fast forward if I want to! Don't you just love free will.

KayCee 8 years, 9 months ago

Typical responce from the far left of Lawrence.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

See, now, Teapot, the political miasma had just abated. I was enjoying the peace!

Hilary Morton 8 years, 9 months ago

"down there"? Oh, yeah. I forgot. The people who go to Massachusetts are only poor, left-wing, uneducated students. (Yes, I did just use quite the oxymoron). Those must be the customers of stores like Ginger & Mary Ann's, or Talbot's, Chico's and Spectator's. Lord knows, that's the population who keeps these businesses alive. If you don't like the responses, why not move to Texas? You might find some buddies there.
If you were to ask the same question at JB Stout's, you feel it would elicit different responses? I beg to differ...

pooter 8 years, 9 months ago

"too bad there isn't any balance anymore - like ask the questions at places where people frequent in the real world - places other than the downtown."

So where would that be, Wal-Mart?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

R_I, both George Bush and John Kerry appeared on my grilled cheese sandwich the other day -- one on each side. The sandwich left me feeling empty.

Seriously, this question has two sides. Maren hit one: it fires up the base. But it also does not help attract undecided voters who don't like Bush. Of course, not all undecided voters dislike Bush...

Basically, I think the answer to this question is yesnomaybe.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

TOB, like I said, you're too young. Music is meant to be heard, not seen. You poor child of the...what? 90's? Be sure to take that biscuit and whipe the wetness from behind your ears. :P

Linda Endicott 8 years, 9 months ago

I've been watching Jericho since it came on, and it gets more interesting and unusual every week. I sure hope it doesn't get canceled, because I wonder how it's going to end the season!

I'd watched two episodes before I realized that Gerald MacRainey plays one of the major roles...anybody else remember Simon and Simon, or Suzanne Sugarbaker's ex hubby on Designing Women?

I was in a panic for awhile yesterday, because NBC announced that Medium will be on Wed. this season. That's my other favorite show. Thought I was going to have a serious conflict, but Medium is going to be on at 8, Jericho at 7...whew...

Larry 8 years, 9 months ago

I'll tell you what. I used to support Bush but not anymore. I mean-come on. He caused all the hurricanes last year, then he causes very few this year. What's up with that? I think he is is the real reason that the Pittsburgh Steelers are struggling this year, plus look at the Oakland Raiders. ONLY Bush could cause such distruction to the beloved Raiders.Yup - Bush is bad. He is totally responsible for providing the intelligence that stated Iraq had WMB's. Even though Clinton's thought they had em', Russian intelligence, British, etc. etc. etc. I KNOW FOR A FACT that Bush made it all up and lied. As Steve Martin used to say - he is the king of "made up facts". He is terrible. I to believe that Bush has personally destroyed stem cells, shot spotted owls with an assault rifle from a 4x4 pick up, and I know that I've seen him protesting right along side Phelps. Plus the economy - there is no way that I'm putting back more money than I ever have. Those tax breaks he gave us were only for quatrillionaires.

I tell ya - Hampton Stevens is pretty smart. What he said about the Pitch is equal to the LJWORLD. Reading the LJW is like reading the bumper sticker on the back of a 1970 VW bug. Republicans belong to Satan, are racist, homophobic and shoot endangered species from 4x4 pick up trucks. To quote Stevens - "Sadly this stuff is what passes for dissent on the American left - a smug, self-serving mishmas of neo-socialist cliche', accusations of fascism and insult comedy masquerading as satire." PRICELESS! Give you money to the ACLU so that they can go defend NAMBLA.

Bone777 8 years, 9 months ago

hilary wrote : "down there"? Oh, yeah. I forgot. The people who go to Massachusetts are only poor, left-wing, uneducated students.

Hilary - all those folks are over stuck in Iraq.

Roadkill_Rob 8 years, 9 months ago

You know what I hate about Mass St? All the choices and diversity of shopping and good restaurants...not to mention all the music venues. Anyone who frequents downtown is no friend of mine.

Hey lunacy, where do you hang out? Wherever it is, I'm there!!!!!!! Gosh, I hope it's Coyotes!!!

ohjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Maren. I can't see where a visit by any sitting president, Democrat or Republican, would have all that much effect on the outcome of an election by influencing voters. It definitely gets the rank and file party members excited and raises money, but as for influencing undecideds... not so much.

BigDog 8 years, 9 months ago

Yeah we wouldn't wanna do it at Walmart..... that is where you might find them poor uneducated military types that John Kerry talks about.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 9 months ago

I think she is, Bea, and I've sworn for a long time that Ann Coulter is a man. If this is something new, Teapot, do tell. Link please?

R_I, free will and free love are not equitable in my book though if you exercise your free will to engage in free love that is your choice. I think horney men conspired to promote free love so they could get more action.

I_dew 8 years, 9 months ago

I think it does. Perhaps its the brows....Yes, definitely the brows...

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

"Music is meant to be heard, not seen." Yet I first learned of Mr. Loaf from seeing him as Eddie in Rocky Horror. "What's for dinner? Meatloaf again!"

RI: That was great! Yet here, as in Kansas, despite being in the minority we have a popular Dem as gov who enjoys a double-digit lead over her Rep contestant.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

IP, I believe that their own employer turned them in. Good for him/her!

packrat 8 years, 9 months ago

I really wish the LJWorld reporters would decide to walk more than a few blocks from their work to get a story.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

OK, TOB, that video was comical. Thanks for tainting my love for that song. Now I've got bad mental images of Meatloaf as a monster and some crazed version of him doing "the Time Warp" (thanks to Bea) swirling 'round my head. geeze guys, play fair! No tag-teaming.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

Wait, ohjay, is this a sign of the end times?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

Having Meatloaf and Tenacious D in the same sentence just sounds like a comedy bit.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 9 months ago

Isn't Bush the guy that said the constitution is nothing but a god damned piece of paper?

Isn't Bush the guy that lied about WMD's?

Isn't Bush the guy that lied about Social Security? Has the president actually lied to the public about Social Security?

Yes. President Bush has repeatedly said that those who put their money in private accounts are "guaranteed" a better return than they'll receive from the current Social Security system. But every sale of stock on the stock market includes the disclaimer: "the return on this investment is not guaranteed and may be negative"--for good reason. During the 20th century, there were several periods lasting more than 10 years where the return on stocks was negative. After the Dow Jones stock index went down by over 75% between 1929 and 1933, the Dow did not return to its 1929 level until 1953. In claiming that the rate of return on a stock investment is guaranteed to be greater than the return on any other asset, Bush is lying. If an investment-firm broker made this claim to his clients, he would be arrested and charged with stock fraud. Michael Milken went to jail for several years for making just this type of promise about financial investments.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Let's hope not! Although the bottoms of my feet are a bit cold today.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 9 months ago

ohjay, the bottoms of my feet are a bit cold today, too, but I'm guessing that's because it was snowing. Who authorized that? (No, people, it wasn't Bush.)

Ceallach 8 years, 9 months ago

sue, don't forget the green beans with bacon and onions!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

RI, thanks for the laugh.

To answer the ?: I can't possibly see how aligning with W would help in an election. I'll be completely honest. I didn't vote for him in '00 but I did vote for him in '04. I thought it was important for our country to back him and I also thought it important that he straighten out this mess in Iraq. I didn't want someone else to have to come in and clean that mess up. Bush has failed miserably...so far. He has less than 2 more years to do the impossible. I'm afraid, with all this campaining for his party that he now has to do, he's just not going to give Iraq the thought it needs. So extremely sad. And yes, he is/has been a total and complete failure as a president. And yes, I do drink lattes, own Birkenstocks, and I'm making granola as we speak. I also own guns and kill cute furry animals so don't lump me into your nicely laid out category.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 9 months ago

I love the fact that only liberals go to downtown lawrence. Do we have to bring our voter registration cards to get in?

As low and Bush's popularity is, he is still loved by his loyalists and I think that it does help. He may be disliked, but he is the President and an appearance by a big wig usually helps.

Ceallach 8 years, 9 months ago

lunacy, I was crushed that you added "latte drinkers" to the list. That's just not right.

martyks 8 years, 9 months ago

Cheney came out in favor of waterboarding... which is a smart move, since torture is slightly more popular than Cheney.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Boy, that read totally defensive. I'll just say the only Bush I trust is my own and I'll go get some more coffee. Ya'll have a good breakfast...it's the most important meal of the day. And, Happy "National Deviled egg day!" Woo Hoo!

BrianR 8 years, 9 months ago

I would think his disapppearance would be more helpful.

BrianR 8 years, 9 months ago

"Kinky Friedman...the ONLY person running for office that is worth listening to."

You got that right.

Shelby 8 years, 9 months ago

yeah, i'm not a liberal and I love downtown. I got drunk there Tuesday night.

Ceallach 8 years, 9 months ago

merrill seems to be his own little PAC lately. The current project is delving into the mystery that is "Meatloaf."

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh cr@p! I meant to hit "edit" and accidentally hit "post." Oh well, we will see what happens. My bad!

Ken Miller 8 years, 9 months ago

Regardless of the quality of the GOP candidate, having President Bush show up in your backyard two days before the election, telling the Republican base to vote WILL help the likes of Jim Ryun, etc. That may be bad news for Nancy Boyda, but it's good news for many other Dems running in tight races across the country, because the President is spending his precious time stumping for an incumbent who was considered unbeatable just a few weeks ago.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

RI, It's her OTS anniversary...not her marital anniversary! But, for conversation sake, the hubby's parents were married a week apart, also. She thought she wouldn't go through w/ it if she had another week to think about it so he whisked her off to the JoP. They were married (again) a week later in a church and none was the wiser. I guess it worked. Every year, if they forget their first anniversary, they just celebrate the second one.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 9 months ago

I watch Jericho, but it is tivo'd so I haven't seen this weeks episode yet.

samsnewplace 8 years, 9 months ago

-----------NO, anyone with a brain in their head would realize BUSH has not been good for the USA---------

beatrice 8 years, 9 months ago

"Bush has failed miserably...so far. He has less than 2 more years to do the impossible." What would the impossible be, Sue? To fail catastrophically? Fail on a Biblical level that makes it rain toads? Speak proper English?

The answer to the question is no, his appearances probably won't help. His popularity rating is too low, and it might actually work against candidates who continue to pretend that all is hunky-dory in with the current administration.

lunacy: you forgot one more description of Democrats -- soon to be the majority in the House and Senate. But keep up the name-calling. I'm sure it is helping.

ms_canada 8 years, 9 months ago

Praise the Lord, you guys are still there. I was watching TV last night and someone said that Lawrence had been knocked off the map by a nucular bomb blast. I was so relieved to see it was not true. :o) ??s ask me. Hey, guys, it's my anniversary today. It was just before the election 2 years ago that I posted my first comment and it was, of course, about your electoral college. Little did I know that it would come to this relationship. As Sunflower Sue says, Woo Hoo!!! Well, it is a free country and I can say what I think of Bush and they ain't good thoughts. But will restrain myself. I just would not want him on a platform with me.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 9 months ago

I guess that's how you spell a raspberry. Purplesage, the country rallied around the war in Afganistan, and, I believe that most still do...the effort was greatly damaged by Iraq. I do not thing Bush had the popular support for attacking Iraq, and there are clearly alot of questions about what Bush was up to. I have agreat deal of respect for the office of the President, too bad the person currently bearing that title doesn't.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 9 months ago

Ceal, I'd never forget those!!! (although my eldest thinks they are some form of cruel punishment...I swear they gave me the wrong baby at the hosp.)

toefungus 8 years, 9 months ago

Well, I don't know if his coming will help anything. But, I think the school district should warn the bus drivers not to finger the motorcade!