Previous   Next

Do you really think breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 1, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes, because it starts your day off right and gets your metabolism going.”

“It’s true. It gets you going. Without it, you’re tired and unfocused.”

“For me it is. I wake up kind of grumpy, but I always feel better after I eat.”

“Yeah. It gives you a good start and makes sure you’re not running on empty. It helps your brain stay on track.”

Related story

Comments

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh and to answer the ?, yes I do think it's the most important meal. It gets you fueled up to start the day. I just don't eat that early, see above, and so I generally feel sleepy and crappy/crabby until lunch time.

classclown 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't have time for breakfast. I need to be up for at least an hour before I eat something or else I'll throw up. By then I'm well on my way to work.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

What if you work the night shift? Wouldn't supper then be the most important meal?

And I'm with clown. I have to be up at least an hour too before I eat.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

R_I, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Like TOB, I was beginning to think something was wrong with me. I've never heard of anyone else who's experienced that.

Noemon 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about most important, but it's definitely in the top three.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

ok ss, i'll bite on the epitaph day challenge! :) and i'm going to use your daughter's assignment-otherwise they'd have to get me one biiiiiggggg headstone. ;)

my epitaph should be: "Wasn't THAT a Party??" yeah, that lil' "a" upped the word limit to 4-who cares??

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

About the first 25 years of my life, I was like the majority here and really could not keep food down if I ate before I'd been up for quite a while. Having children seems to have cured me of that. Now, I get up and the first thing I do is look for food. The hubby made some oatmeal chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast this morning so I was happy to eat a couple of them. (Yes, we like them and they are fast and easy...which is a good thing...usually.) Only he used quick oats instead of old-fashioned and they weren't quite as good but who am I to quibble? But I'm a "food snob" so I guess I can.

Do you give acute bronchitis 10 days before you go see a Dr.?

Happy "Plan your Epitaph" Day. Can't wait to see what you all come up with. My daughter was recently given a school assignment in which one of the questions she had to answer was: "If you died, what 3 words would you want said about you?" Her answer: "Look! She's alive!" I laughed myself to tears!

samsnewplace 8 years, 1 month ago

Probably it is, but who in their right mind is hungry at 4:30am when I get up and get moving? Not me......

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm the same way, too. I can't hop out of bed and eat. I certainly can't eat sugar before noon, so donuts, rolls and most cereals don't work for me and fast food breakfast is disgusting. I don't understand how people can eat that stuff. Usually it's cheese crackers or peanuts around 10:00.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I certainly need breakfast; apparently I am in a minority here.

Oh, by the way, a Marine from my town was recently killed in Iraq, and the Phabulous Phelps Phamily promised to protest at his funeral. However, they didn't come. Maybe the 150 bikers (from the Patriot Guard Riders) had something to do with that. Though a Phelps spokeswoman provided a fine quote. From the Ann Arbor News:

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for the Topeka, Kan., group, said she wasn't aware the group didn't attend. She said schedules sometimes change.

"There are so many of these dead soldiers right now,'' she said. "Gotta keep moving.''

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

gawd after reading ms. phelps' comment-i'm about to lose my breakfast. thanks sgt!

as i read the question of the day i was licking the cheese off the paper from my sausage/cheeze biskit; although i too have to be up&about for a couple hours before i eat, i do believe breakkie to be a very very important meal. (i get up at 5 a.m.)

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't get physically ill if I eat something just after I wake up, but I don't find myself all that hungry. Also, if I do eat something for breakfast, I seem to get quite hungry before lunchtime rolls around.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

It might be. I keep missing it and I feel like @#$%!

BrianR 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree, brunch is a better option. I can't eat first thing in the morning either. I hear that more and more.

cutny 8 years, 1 month ago

ahh...I love how Morion is sniffing Blue Harley and then complimenting him on all of his posts. Maybe he found an acolyte to follow his lunatic manifesto. Hey...he's gonna register that PAC any day now...one of these days...any second now. Would love to see those two stumbling hand in hand down Mass, yelling at all the "dirty liberal hippies." Fess up you two...is love in the air?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, today is "All Saint's Day" aka "Day of the Dead" (De los Muertos.) Which, technically, is also tomorrow but starts today. Tomorrow is "National Deviled Egg Day" Today is November 1st, right? Be nice to me or I'll not bring you any deviled eggs tomorrow. (I promise not to cough on them!) Now, bow down to my greatness.

As per your ?, you know me better than to have to ask that. I'd be in a weakened condition and she has a good 8" on me. She'd kick my patootie.

sourpuss 8 years, 1 month ago

I always eat breakfast. Oatmeal and fruit, or yogurt and granola. If I skip a meal, it is probably dinner since I can't sleep on a full stomach. It makes me feel ill. Eating before bed also contributes to high cholesterol and weight gain. Often, I am hungry within half and hour of waking, but I get up and give myself enough time to eat. I just get ready first and eat breakfast before I leave, often saving a fruit for the commute.

Caffeine actually makes people crabby so it should be avoided, but if someone does love coffee, choose the darkest roast: dark roasted coffee has less caffeine than lightly roasted.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

If you want to see crabby, sourpuss, just sit next to someone who has been drinking coffee for years and then decides to stop.

I rarely eat breakfast. I'm just not that hungry early in the morning, and they always say not to eat if you're not hungry, right?

I heard on the news somewhat recently that they had basically debunked that eating before bed thing. It depends on what you eat before bed. Same as when you're awake, what you eat determines weight gain.

Metabolism? What is that? Mine has been screwy for years and years. Since the birth of my daughter, actually. I really think that pregnancy alters your metabolism for life! I've talked to so many women who had no problem with weight until they had their first child.

I think the main reason I feel sleepy and crabby some days isn't because I don't eat breakfast...it's because I have to get up too damn early in the morning and don't get enough sleep most nights!!! I am NOT a morning person, but the whole rest of the world seems to be, so I have learned to deal with it.

As for your epitaph question, Sue, I think I'd put on mine, "Are you sure?"

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Also not an early morning eater. I don't think my tastebuds wake up until 9:30 or 10ish. Then a bagel and/or fruit will do me fine.

Three words, eh? That's an easy one . . . "Ceallach was right!!!" :):):)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

My epitaph: (not limited to 3 words) "Her road to hell was paved with good intentions. Let's hope she found a dirt path."

3 words: "All worth it."

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

Are you sure it's not low blood sugar, Pywacket, and not low blood pressure??

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 1 month ago

More tough questions to really test the resolve of our fellow Lawrencians. Plus its oddly worded. What do they mean "really think..."? It implies that it had been stated previously. If breakfast is so important, how come most breakfast food is not what you should eat for breakfast? Cookie Crisp? Bacon? Donuts? Just look down the cereal isle at the groceria. Cap'n Crunch. Lucky Charms. Even the regular raisin bran ain't all that good for a person.

Has anyone mentioned oatmeal? Mmmm, tasty oatmeal. Grits? tasty grits? Menudo? Its not just a launching point for Ricky Martin anymore. Of course I don't think tripe and hominy and okra are things for breakfast, but that's just because my tastebuds still work.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, after doing further research on the matter, I've found that the web site brainiacs can't make up their minds as to whether PYE day is Nov 1 or 2. Since Day of the Dead starts today, I'm going with Nov 1 as the official PYE day. I just hope that when you go, they burry you @$$ up and then your epitaph can be "Park bike here."

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

my epitaph would be:

"What, me worry?"

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

My alternate epitaph:

"Personal foul -- facemask."

Not that it would be true. It would just be fun.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Say - anyone down there want some caramel apples? They might make a great breakfast. I made 125 of them and we had 21 trick or treaters at the door. Rotten cold, windy, blustery weather was a factor. So, does anyone, sue? have a good recipe for caramel apple pie or pudding or what? Yes - breakfast is an important meal whether it is eaten 1/2 hour after rising or two hours later. I usually wait 1 hour - like my coffee first thing.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

My three word epitaph would be either "I'm getting better" or "I feel happy."

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

3 word + epitaph

Call 9-1-1!!! Never mind.....

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, no thanks on the subscription...it sounds like they have their days all screwed up. But, since I have 7 dozen eggs in the fridge, tomorrow you can stop by for a devilish good time. Bring the SO and the devil spawn...I'll make plenty.

Ms_C, do caramel apples ship well? Maybe a caramel apple a day would have kept the bronchitis away! :)

"What's a Darwin Awa..." -TOB (way too funny!)

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

TOB - I had to Google it. Way, way funny.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Nothing's gonna happen"

"Just stay calm"

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

What about OMB?

(as no doubt I will be dead before we know)

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Posted by sgtwolverine (anonymous) on November 1, 2006 at 7:24 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You know, the most frightening part of that quote wasn't the rediculous thing she said.

It was the fact that her hyphenated name means that there are people willing to actually MARRY INTO that family!! Jesus help us!

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Three word epitaphs.

Obvious: "What a smart@$$!"

or perhaps: "Someday, you too!"

or: "Got any smokes?"

sourpuss 8 years, 1 month ago

My three-word epitaph would be:

"See you soon!"

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

"Don't rentfrom MorningstarManagement". Their leasing agent Carolyn is a trip.

Wow - I heard Christmas music today too on Cablevision.

classclown 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow! And I thought I was in a weird minority with the breakfast thing. Maybe we should start an Non Breakfast club. :P

Sue unlike you, I didn't have that problem when I was younger. Pretty much started in my adult years.

Time of day doesn't make any difference either. I've worked all shifts and slept all hours and regardless of what time of day it is that I wake up, I need at least an hour. Although when I worked third, I was able to get up early enough to be able to eat.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh, Ms_C, don't let the apples get you down. I'll eat one or two. Just throw them really, really hard! Besides, I have a better epitaph for you... "Loved by all!"

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, that sounds like something Daffy Duck would say. (In that spitting talk, of course)

SpeedRacer 8 years, 1 month ago

I hate eating breakfast, but I love an early lunch.

My epitaph: "What's this do?"

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

In softball, I was very good as a catcher but sure could not throw the darn ball very far. So don't be looking too long for flying apples. Maybe what I will do is bake them into fruitcakes and send them down that way. RI - oh but I don't hate you all, I am a very loving person. T'is true.