Previous   Next

What is your fondest memory of college graduation?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 21, 2006

Browse the archives

“Just my parents and grandparents being there. My grandparents were elderly, and I was the first person in my family to graduate from college.”

“Being at the end of the graduation procession so that commencement was only like 20 minutes long for me. That’s the key: being at the back of the line.”

“Walking down the hill. It’s kind of generic, but waiting at the top with all my friends with all the anticipation and excitement was the best part.”

“Probably the proud look on my parents’ face when I came back with my signed degree.”

Related story

Comments

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 11 months ago

Not much. Went to school. Had fun. Had a real job type job before I graduated. Very anti-climatic I suppose. I had to be at work Monday. Walking down the hill was fun and all. Overblown is the graduation. Especially nowadays.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Ms_C, I know my ancestry back to 1675 on my dad's side thanks to his good sister who took the time and still takes the time, as geneology is her passion. Her book goes back to a young lad named Johan born in Switzerland. I think that my earliest ancestors to emigrate to America did so in 1732 on a ship called the "Dragon," captained by a Charles Hargrave. I could tell you more but it would take me 406 pages...and that's just the first book. (Not that anyone but myself would be interested, of course.):)

Good night all.

Good night Gnome...wherever you are!

paladin 7 years, 11 months ago

¡Camarada! ¡Quizás somos de largo hermanos perdidos!

one_more_bob 7 years, 11 months ago

My ancestors tended to move around & change their names rather often. Things get fuzzy around the time of the Spanish American War.

H_Lecter 7 years, 11 months ago

I remember the night before graduation, standing over the bodies of my parents and saying, "...and you thought I'd never make it." Then, my mom looked like she was waking up and I tip-toed out of their bedroom and went to sleep off some excessive celebrating.

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

I can't believe it! My 14th generation patriarch was Jorg Sigmann of Baden, Germany, too! Enochville -- my long lost cousin! To think, we have been apart all this time and now I finally find my long lost family. Oh, this is so special I think I'm about to cry.

So, now that we are family and all, can I borrow $1000? Promise, I'm good for it, cuz!

paladin 7 years, 11 months ago

My family was from Arkansas and I'm not really sure who begat who. Who begat me is open to question. I had a wife once, and one was certainly enough. I'm not sure who begat her kids. I had three girlfriends at the same time in college, and that was definitely too many. Kept having to hide behind and under things. Its lucky I graduated. I married one of them. Should have been one of the others. I did raise one of my wife's kids as my own, who I know was begotten by someone else. Emotional confusion and loose living begets grief. Oh well.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 11 months ago

Not that I had both a spouse and girlfriend, I just can't remember her classification at that time.

Hmmm... Maybe she was/is my wife and girlfriend....

What a concept.....

. . . .

Wifes and girlfriends, are not like potato chips..... one is enough.... RI

enochville 7 years, 11 months ago

My 14th generation patriarch was Jorg Sigmann b. 1564, Huffenhardt, Baden, Germany.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 11 months ago

My memory of college graduation -reroofing my house-

My spouse or girlfriend - I can't remember which threw a grad party for me.

... hot, sweaty, dirty, shorts no shirt, smelled like asphalt shingles.

Multi-tasking at it's best, receiving guests and slappin down shingles.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

WARNING - I am going off topic. I want to say a word to extra mustard and jonas. 1st e-m - you are not supposed to slog thru it. It is meant to be studied a bit at a time. The Bible has some extremely fascinating stories. 2nd jonas - do you know why you were able to copy all those begats? You must remember that several thousand years ago, only about 3% of all the population were able to read any kind of language. So how was history passed onward? The Druids are a good example of the recording of history. A druid would study for 20 years before becoming a qualified druid. He was required to memorize many, many words of history and ritual and belief. One tool that they used was music. Some druids were also Bards and they sang the stories. Druids were not the only ones to use this technique. The ancient Hebrews had an oral tradition of keeping their history alive. They memorized many, many stories and they told them around the fires in the evening and to their students and followers. The stories that Jesus told in the Bible might seem rather strange to us in some parts, but to the people of his day, they were very easily understood, because it was tradition. The begats are just one example of that. Can I ask a question? How many of you can, right this moment, recite your geneology back to your great (x 14) grandfather? Can I ask, have you even got it written down some place?
Don't mock the ancients, don't mock what you don't understand. Please.

paladin 7 years, 11 months ago

Froyd and Yung are still tops in my book. They're almost as important as JC and Mary M.

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

I think that they're more simply wrong than controversial. Great reading, interesting idea, but doesn't really play out.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Ms_C, They still are fairly controversial. How times change...NOT!:)

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

Grad ceremonies, not so memorable. I guess my grad picture was, to me, the best thing about graduating. There in that picture, stark white, stiffly starched uniform, the white cap with the two black bands, the bouquet of long stem deep red roses against the white of the uniform, I could actually see for myself just what I had accomplished in that three years. This young farm girl has made it. I think that was my thought when I saw that picture. Even today, after so many years, if I happen to look at that picture, it brings back a lot of memories of student days and the fun we had and the arguements we would have after psychology classes about Freud and Jung and their weird theories. You young ones have to understand that when I was a student of psychology, those two were still fairly controversial. What fun we had

thunderbuns 7 years, 11 months ago

I remember the great jubulation and joy beaming from my parents. The new car as a gift, thousands of dollars in cash and prizes, a two-week all expense paid vacation to Hawaii, all three of my girl friends fighting over me. Ah, memories.......

Of course, that was 8th grade graduation. I still haven't graduated college. Haven't gone actually.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

That I didn't give birth while standing in line for what seemed like an eternity with swollen ankles on one of the hottest days I can remember. And that they didn't make maternity grad gowns!

T_F 7 years, 11 months ago

funny how the Med grads are now dousing the law grads with bags of money...

I remember sweating on top of the hill in 90 degree weather with no one to talk to cause all of my friends took a few extra years to graduate.

Jayhawk226 7 years, 11 months ago

Walking down the Hill and later watching the Med students douse the law school grads with bottle after bottle after bottle of champagne.

Good times.

paladin 7 years, 11 months ago

My memories are far from fond. It was 1970, Sunday night, pouring down rain, severe storms afoot, took place in Allen Field House, VW drowned out and had to walk several blocks in the rain, soaking wet through the whole long ordeal, no walk down the Hill, nobody came, got handed a blank piece of paper, girlfriend who was graduating too showed up with new boyfriend, ripped the gown and lost the hat, preoccupied with worrying about being drafted. It sucked. The only positive I recall was the realization that I didn't have to write anymore papers.

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

i was a non-traditional student; my fondest memory of graduating from KU was having my 3 daughters there!

funniest memory-after a long long day waiting for mom (and dad too!) to get done with the hoopla, the youngest-5 at the time-didn't mention having to use the little girls' room until all was said&done and we were at the car! no choice, parking lot turned restroom, lol

enochville 7 years, 11 months ago

Fondest memory: Taking pictures in my cap and gown outside with Wymount in the background.

Saddest memory: My girlfriend at the time and I separated because I was going to Kansas for grad school and there was uncertainty whether our relationship was going to continue after graduation.