Previous   Next

What is the most important thing your mother ever did for you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 14, 2006

Browse the archives

“Sending me to an Islamic school, because I’m from Japan and I never would have been exposed to it otherwise.”

“She made sure I knew the golden rule; do unto others as you would have others do unto you.”

“Gave birth to me. That’s the most important thing.”

“I always remember her general kindness. She always greeted people with a big smile. She said that if you project that, it will come back to you all day long. So I made it a general practice.”

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 7 months ago

she loved me enough to bring me into this world.

enochville 8 years, 7 months ago

Giving me life is the most important thing my mother ever did for me.

canyon_wren 8 years, 7 months ago

Probably the most important thing my mother did for me and her three other children is to maintain faith in my father and a cheerful outlook in spite of over 40 moves and job changes while I was growing up. I can't fathom how difficult that must have been for her at times, but she was always ready to respond to my father's newest "proposal" with enthusiasm and encouragement.

I guess her love for and support of him was one of her greatest gifts to us children.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 7 months ago

Besides giving birth and all...

My mother taught me the value of education, which I am attempting to pass on to my children.

jonas 8 years, 7 months ago

Kept her patience. Believe me when I say that I stretched it. (I'm sure that comes as a surprise >B-)>

Of course, this question has only one real answer, so the "besides that. . . ." is somewhat implied, I suppose.

ms_canada 8 years, 7 months ago

My mother was a very simple housewife and mother. She was a good cook and she set rules for my sister and me. We always had to help with the housework since mother had farm work to do also. It was a small farm which required Daddy to work as a carpenter off farm. I think the most important thing from Moma was honesty and devotion to family. Now then, my Daddy taught me carpentry and I thank him for that. I love working with wood and building things. He also taught devotion to family. One thing about my dad, we always knew that he loved us whatever happened. Moma also. I think that is the most important thing you can receive from your mom and dad, the certainty of their love for you.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

My Mother taught me unconditional love and the courage to find strength where there is none.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

Being a lot of fun. Life is better with fun.

adavid 8 years, 7 months ago

she let me listen to the music i wanted, which is why i am who i am

james bush 8 years, 7 months ago

Mothers' Day! I'm just so happy that I remember how much she loved and sacrificed. I've been less curmudgeonly all day just thinking about moms. Thanks God for women who are good and loving and smart and wholesome and sexy too.

james bush 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh, oh! Melancholia seems to have taken hold....but still not to old to remember sexy moms.

BunE 8 years, 7 months ago

badger 8 years, 7 months ago

One day, about a year and a half or two years after her divorce (which had spun her into hellish depression), she walked into my room and said, "(Badger), I've come to the conclusion that you are responsible for your own happiness in this world. No one but you can make you happy. You just have to do the best you can."

I seriously took that to heart, owned up to my own responsibility for my own personal happiness, and have been a much better and happier person for that.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 7 months ago

"Where are all of the pro-abortionist now?"

Do you mean those who are in favor of abortion rights or those who support doctors who perform abortions? Or those who support those who support abortion rights? Or those who support the doctors who perforrm abortions? Please clarify.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 7 months ago

"Typical. Why in the world would anyone but a right wing nut want to politicize Mother's day? Why do you hate america?"

They hate America because America harbors those who don't think just as they do and are not christians. They will not stop hating America until everyone is a fundamentalist christian in lock step with their agenda.

They are the Kansas Taliban.