Previous   Next

How do you think Kansas ranks among other states for church attendance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 13, 2006

Browse the archives

“Probably seventh. It seems to be a very conservative Christian state. I come from a small town, and that is about all there is to do. Kansas would probably only rank below the Southern states.”

“Around 30th. I think we’re just kind of right near the middle.”

“I would guess 20th. I figure it would be a bit more than average, but not as much as in some states.”

“I’m thinking in the 20s. It doesn’t seem like as many people are going to church these days.”

Comments

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

It seems that there are a lot of people of faith in Kansas. Your state ranks 14th in the country for church attendance. My province of Alberta is known as the Bible Belt of Canada.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

Offhand, I'd say 14th. We must take immediate action to increase our numbers and bring up our national ranking. Whether it be more emphasis on recruitment, financial incentives, door prizes, donuts, suspension of the offering (free Sundays), better quality entertainment, special dispensations, a guardian angel program, fashion shows, better seating and decor, some kind of church-buddy sponsorship, free telephone hot line to God, casual Sundays, singles mixers, whatever it takes. The very idea that we are not #1 in this evil, heathen nation, is shameful! We must do everything we can to capture and retain the title, in order to ensure that Kansas remains the bastian of holiness and Christian pride that it has always been, and that it remains the final bulwark in our country's ever increasingly frail line of defense against the forces of Satan.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 11 months ago

I would guess church attendance is getting lower, with all of the recent convictions of x-tians for murder in Kansas:

Mangelsdorf/Raisch and their praise to Jesus at Mid America Nazarene by killing hubby.

The carpenter in Lawrence, who exalted the Prince of Peace at Victory Bible Church, who praised Jesus by strangling his wife so he wouldn't need to divorce her to marry his other woman.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 11 months ago

Marion,

Thanks for the info. At first glance it seems that church attendance is highest in southern states with high rates of poverty and low educational achievement. I would like to see the correlation coefficient between church attendance and educational achievement.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

Seem to be more heathens in the Blue states.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

Seems like missionaries needed in the Northeast.

Liberty 8 years, 11 months ago

Quote from Paladin:

"I wonder how They know how many people are going to church."

Almost all churches are a 501c3 IRS classification or a business (no longer a church under the God of the Bible but the god of government). They still have the appearance of a church and talk the talk, but the headship or leadership has changed. It probably has to report everything. There are probably also people from the government who visit these churches to make sure that they are in compliance and don't speak out on political issues (maintaining total government control and containing free speech).

No wonder church attendance is down. Home Bible reading is probably up.

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

Marion - I beg your pardon. Are you suggesting that people who bring the Word are not happy people or at least not as happy as some? I will tell you that I know an awful lot of very happy people who bring the Word. I get so happy sometimes it is hard to bear and I weep. For joy that is.

thare 8 years, 11 months ago

The numbers may actually be a bit higher...I heard that Unitarians only get half a percentage point.

ModSquadGal 8 years, 11 months ago

Marion... I cannot believe how much I have agreed with you lately. It's impossible. First about immigration and now about missionaries??? There must be a weird alignment of planets.

Anyway, right on!

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps there is a need for the missionaries to go to the Unitarian "churches" to spread the Word. Do they have Unitarians in Canada, or is that a typically American phenomenon?

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

md-Do you need a missionary to come see you at the horsepistol?

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

There are Unitarians in Canada, yes. And Marion - it is true that Christians have done some terrible atrocities in the past and maybe still are doing some nasty things. As an avid history buff, I have read of the dreadful things that the Roman Catholic Church bishops did to the natives when they arrived with the Conquistadores in the Western Hemisphere. As with Phred Phelps and his gang, I would ask are they really Christians? What is a Christian? What is a born again Christian? A Christian is one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ, hence the name. If their actions are not what was taught by Jesus, then they are not Christians. If a boat waddles along on top of the ground, is it really a boat? My final point is this, I am accountable only to my God, and so are all others. If I hold true to His teaching, that is what is important to me and my salvation. And that goes for anyone else who would presumes to call themselves a christian. We will all have to answer to God when we are called from this earth. The last command from Jesus was this, Go ye into all the world preaching and teaching in my name............. and I will be with you always. That is why we go. boogeyman - yes my mammy was from Minnesota and my pappy from Iowa and I would love to sit beside GWB and give him a piece of my mind.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

Missionary "work" is the latest form of Western colonialism.

Larry 8 years, 11 months ago

I would have guessed top 20.

Good post Ms. Canada!

Food for thought: Funny how when it comes to some bad situations with priests/ministers - we blame all of Christianity. When it comes to a few immoral teachers, we blame the entire education profession. When it comes to the political mistakes of this country, we blame the entire government. Wait a second - that's wrong. We just put all the blame on the head dog because he has total control of EVERYTHING and there is no way that anyone else in this country (past or present) could be responsible or even partly responsible for the struggles of today.

paladin 8 years, 11 months ago

I believe that missionaries were once favored by the cannibals in uncivilized regions. They loved to see them show up at their campfires. Their arrival was good news. The missionaries were a valuable source of sustenance and good cheer. Do they have cannibals in Canada? Or, are they only still found in parts of the U.S.?

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

I have been cleaning out my front garden and have to take a break once in a while when the pain in my back tells me to quit. Remember the question about pain. It comes for a reason. Paladin - no we have no cannibals in C. if you had asked were there cannibals in Can. then the answer would have been yes, no doubt. Now about your post larry, lumping every one in the same basket. Are we not doing that to the muslims now? They are not all terrorists. But in a democracy, who is it that put the head dog on the throne? That, I blelieve is why all Americans are so reviled by muslims. You put the head dog back in again. Hard to understand for those who stand farther back.

H_Lecter 8 years, 11 months ago

One never knows where they'll meet a cannibal, now do they?

T_F 8 years, 11 months ago

robinson recently posted that he wants to make looneyville cash flow positive by the end of the year. He is not off to a good start.

Purell 8 years, 11 months ago

Marion, You plug RTC all the time, but the irony is that YOU are why most of us would never bother to go there. (Here's my free speech and if it gets deleted, so what.) Personally, I think you should be banned from plugging it here. Most of your posts are just obnoxious. You may be 54,but your posts sound like they came from a 14-year-old. Hardly anyone responds to your posts because they (and I) consider you a troll. You copy/paste garbage as if you've never used the Internet before. You take up more space than anyone and your formatting is annoying. Why you persist, I have no idea. Perhaps you just have a complete lack of social awareness. All these things have been mentioned many times. If I were as unwelcome as you, I'l pack my toys and GO HOME!