Previous   Next

How long do you think you can hold your breath?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 9, 2006

Browse the archives

“Not very long. I’ve never tried it before, but I could do it for a minute or two.”

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t want to try it underwater though, because it would make me panic.”

“Probably close to a minute and a half. It’s been a long time since I’ve worked out and built up my lung capacity. You have to practice.”

“Probably not more than a minute. I used to be able to for longer when I was young, but not now.”

Comments

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

about a minute.....I've made somebody else hold their breath for three.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

David Blaine is an idiot. I wish he would hold his breath forever.

trinity 8 years, 7 months ago

this is the question of the day...wow. just wow.

sigh ok i'll bite-not very. it's all the tobacco company's fault! ;)

paladin 8 years, 7 months ago

Whenever I asked of Life, "When will I get mine?", Life always shouted unto me, "DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!", so, I don't. So, I don't really know. What difference does it make?

RonBurgandy 8 years, 7 months ago

I used to be able to for a couple of minutes, but I don't think I could come close to that nowadays.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 7 months ago

I try to time myself, but I keep passing out. It's so exasperating.

Can't a lack of oxygen cause brain damage? Could David Blaine be doing damage to his brain with this stunt?

galfromku 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree that David Blaine is an idiot. If I was his family, I would be upset with his stunts. I just kept thinking what if he gets brain damage from his stupidity? ... I think is is thoughtless of him to do that to his loved ones who would have to take care of him and worry about him... I was upset just watching that show.. I had to leave the room.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 7 months ago

Actually, it appears that he did sustain liver damage from the stunt. No word on brain damage. Although his actions make me question his stability anyway.

smiles 8 years, 7 months ago

ooops, sorry I passed out, what was the question?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

hahaha acg!!! and blueharley! I was thinking along those lines - long enough to use the porta potties at the Indy 500 on the last day.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

What David Blaine story are you all refering to? I don't see it listed as the story related to this question.

smiles 8 years, 7 months ago

Craigers - what planet are you visiting from?

ms_canada 8 years, 7 months ago

This is just too stupid to even think about. I think I'll just go shopping. See you all tomorrow.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

You gotta be kidding me. But, I guess I actually held my breath several times this morning. Never long enough to get out of range of the woman who smelled like a can of Pledge that I was passing on the track. Who would want to smell like a faux lemon-scented cleaning product? She was wearing a yellow shirt. Maybe that's her thing.???

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

Ms_C, Could you pick me up some chocolate-covered espresso beans while your out? My supply is dangerously low. ;o)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Gal From KU said "I agree that David Blaine is an idiot", then informed us all that she helped his career by watching the show, thereby increasing his ratings.

I don't understand that. You are so sick of him that you can't not watch? You left the room, but didn't turn it off?

I can hold mine for about 7 hours.

Was the question about not breathing, or not going to the bathroom?

Sorry, my bad.

Liberty 8 years, 7 months ago

Are they thinking that you are going to hold your breath because of the 69.5 million dollar Trump Library plans and the huge amount of money that they want to steal from the people of Lawrence? The people need to get control of their government and much better questions that have something to do with reality than 'How long can you hold your breath'.

Chris Tackett 8 years, 7 months ago

Wednesday's question of the day: "how long can you stand on one foot....ready...set...go!"

sgtwolverine 8 years, 7 months ago

Or "How long can you keep your eyes closed?"

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

Earth, thanks for asking smiles. usually the link to the article is posted right next to the question and it wasn't there and I couldn't find it. Sheesh get off my back!!! Just messing around.

enochville 8 years, 7 months ago

I like David Blaine, especially when he levitates on the street. I'd love to know how he does that.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

Enochville, I think you know how he does that.

H_Lecter 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh the humanity! How many people have to die because of this question? Is there no respect for human life? What about the kids?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

I tried to see how long I could go without posting on this message board. I couldn't go very long.

josette_87 8 years, 7 months ago

I used to be able to swim under water halfway across Lonestar at the swimming area without coming up..meaning running to the end of the swimming dock, diving in, then staying under half way. Not now tho. As for brain cells,maybe that's why my MRI looks like it does! Song of the day, Don Henley's You Must Not Be Drinking Enough..that will take care of some brain cells.

If you don't like this question how about..How long have you kept your Wh!$key D!(k up until finishing?(Or should I say kept you up?) Ladies, feel free to comment.

josette_87 8 years, 7 months ago

sunflower_sue: Don't you remember Lemon Up shampoo? Everyone had to have it? It was the first thing to cut through teenage oil LOL. And then the Original Herbal Essence, and Strawberry?

How outrageous they were!

The first time you took a bottle of biodegrable shampoo, dove off of a dock to wash your hair? Unheard of! Sat the bottle and your razor on the rungs of the dock and hung on with your feet to shave your legs in your bikini? Too much fun!

josette_87 8 years, 7 months ago

oh R_I..somehow I just don't believe that LOL.

canyon_wren 8 years, 7 months ago

Well, when I first saw this question this morning, I thought there would be absolutely NO responses, since it was such a stupid question, but I must admit the responses are some of the best we've had lately. Glad everyone gives it the sort of attention it deserves!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

josette, shaving in a lake? OK, that's the craziest thing I've heard today!

Bialosky 8 years, 7 months ago

The Journal World should NOT be advocating the Pass-Out Game !! Children are DYING drom trying to get kicks off of auto asphyxiation, won't someone please THINK of the CHILDREN !!!!

josette_87 8 years, 7 months ago

Just a resort bunny! The college men thought it was pretty hot! We didn't care, it just took too much time out of the sun to do it inside! We just had to remember to grab the bottle before a big boat wake came by! Of course, they knew better than to mess with us, or we wouldn't rent to them, or gas up their boats! (Nice to have control of the place, LOL...oh those were the days!) ;D

josette_87 8 years, 7 months ago

everyone remember their property taxes?

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

hmmm, would that be before or after the albuterol?

No wonder so many people are posting at the library article -- and to think I've been waiting all morning, looking forward to my break, just to see what was happening on OTS :) sad, so sad.

Gotta get back to work. YDP think up a better question, discuss among yourselves, I'll be checking back and I expect to see some action. If nothing else, randomly request comment removals!

On second thought, we could all practice alternate breathing (omb -- that was priceless!).

KSChick1 8 years, 7 months ago

Long enough to drink 100 year old egg nog. Oh wait, that wasn't me. That was on Survivor.

josette_87 8 years, 7 months ago

roflmao chick! Oops, gotta get back to work.

jonas 8 years, 7 months ago

This quiestion maed me think, so I iinstalled gillssd. Loooked pretty easyfs, jso I just put three slitsd in my necks on boths sides adn I going downstairs ot check it uot. . . . sattrange though I sseem to be rurnning out of enerhgyhjnm k,.a a

Drew_Carey 8 years, 7 months ago

1000 pts for joonasss. I just might not stopping laughing tonight.

50 pts for josette, gives me a reason to drink.Any takers?

I declare open season on ice cream trucks. 500 pts for each. 1000 more if you get them in a roundabout.

glockenspiel 8 years, 7 months ago

until there isn't any smoke on exhale...